The aspect ratio issue has been done to death here, 1:1 can't happen, so it's got to be 3:2 or something like that. The CPU on the Passport is too old to be relevant for Nougat too, it must be changed too, maybe a SD625. Slap a normal keyboard onto that and it should start to look mighty familiar.
    So what I'm hearing her is that there is no chance of the 1:1 ratio being created in Android and would never be possible. I mean there is absolutely no one in the world that could create the 1:1 ratio aspect. Who/How did BB10 create it? Had to have happened somewhere/time.
    11-15-17 11:01 AM
    So what I'm hearing her is that there is no chance of the 1:1 ratio being created in Android and would never be possible. I mean there is absolutely no one in the world that could create the 1:1 ratio aspect. Who/How did BB10 create it? Had to have happened somewhere/time.
    BlackBerry could do whatever they wanted with BB10 because they owned it. They don't own or control Android.

Manufacturers and developers can't use official Android with a non-standard screen ratio, per the Android license agreement. It's not permitted. If someone created a phone loaded with the official Android and a non-standard screen, they would not legally be allowed to distribute it over Google's objection.
    11-15-17 11:08 AM
    Why BlackBerry did what they did is a mystery for a lot of things.
    11-15-17 11:09 AM
    To be clear, it's a legal problem, not a technical problem. There were lots of Passports (internally at BB) running BB's version of Android during Priv development, but they could never have sold them to the world at large. (Leaving aside that it would probably undercut Priv sales and be a cruddy business move.)
    11-16-17 08:15 PM
    To be clear, it's a legal problem, not a technical problem. There were lots of Passports (internally at BB) running BB's version of Android during Priv development, but they could never have sold them to the world at large. (Leaving aside that it would probably undercut Priv sales and be a cruddy business move.)
    It was actually a business move, the Android Passport's were a collaboration between BlackBerry and Google.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2016/09/27/w...ered-passport/
    11-16-17 09:04 PM
    It was actually a business move, the Android Passport's were a collaboration between BlackBerry and Google.

But, if you believe the article, ultimately Google was unwilling to change the 4:3 material design guideline. It certainly appears they looked into it, tried some things, but weren't happy with the results, and stuck to the existing spec.
    11-17-17 08:37 AM
    But, if you believe the article, ultimately Google was unwilling to change the 4:3 material design guideline. It certainly appears they looked into it, tried some things, but weren't happy with the results, and stuck to the existing spec.
    The article implies the time it would take Google to update their remaining apps to support 1:1 wouldn't be worth it for how many devices would actually use it which in my view makes it a business decision instead of a legal or technical one (if Google was working with BlackBerry and both were able to justify 1:1 support they would be non issues).
    11-17-17 09:43 AM
    The article implies the time it would take Google to update their remaining apps to support 1:1 wouldn't be worth it for how many devices would actually use it which in my view makes it a business decision instead of a legal or technical one (if Google was working with BlackBerry and both were able to justify 1:1 support they would be non issues).
    Well, Google sets the legal terms, so you're right. If Google saw the business value they would change the terms. But since they don't, it's a legal issue for manufacturers per their agreements.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    11-17-17 12:00 PM
    Well, Google sets the legal terms, so you're right. If Google saw the business value they would change the terms. But since they don't, it's a legal issue for manufacturers per their agreements.

Sure but the only reason the Android Passports were made was for this collaboration, it wasn't a skunk works project that BlackBerry started and was stuck with because they forgot to read the terms. As per the article, the cancellation was mutually agreed to by BlackBerry and Google.
    11-17-17 05:02 PM
    Sure but the only reason the Android Passports were made was for this collaboration, it wasn't a skunk works project that BlackBerry started and was stuck with because they forgot to read the terms. As per the article, the cancellation was mutually agreed to by BlackBerry and Google.
    Right. An experiment. BlackBerry never tried to sell them, so there was no issue.

11-17-17 05:08 PM
    That's like a kid asking their mom for snacks for him and his friends. She says no and he comes out and says, "we decided it wouldn't be a good idea".
    11-21-17 10:02 AM
    That's like a kid asking their mom for snacks for him and his friends. She says no and he comes out and says, "we decided it wouldn't be a good idea".
    That analogy wouldn't work in this case because both BlackBerry and Google were actively working on the device together, Google even went as far as updating some of their apps to support a 1:1 ratio before deciding it wasn't worth it.

11-21-17 10:05 AM
    Still waitng for the announced by Chen, BB10 Os 10.3.4... the end of 2017 is near and yet no signs of it.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-17 02:07 PM
    Still waitng for the announced by Chen, BB10 Os 10.3.4... the end of 2017 is near and yet no signs of it.

Posted via CB10
    I've read elsewhere that the 10.3.3 update was delayed to the point where they rolled the 10.3.4 items into 10.3.3.
    So, essentially you have already had it.

Not to mention that the 10.3.4 update wasn't going to be anything major or significant anyways.
    11-21-17 02:33 PM
    I've read elsewhere that the 10.3.3 update was delayed to the point where they rolled the 10.3.4 items into 10.3.3.

Not to mention that the 10.3.4 update wasn't going to be anything major or significant anyways.
    Think that is the common taught, not sure that BlackBerry has ever admitted it. But end of 2016 was the scheduled time period that 10.3.4 was suppose to come and would be what most saw as the end of BB10's support. Based on what Chen announced way back in 2015.

Based on the lack of them saying anything about BB10, especially with the KRACK vulnerabilities.... it's pretty clear they saw 2016 as an end.
    11-22-17 01:08 PM
    Until they make something else clear...I think this is as clear as we can get. https://us.blackberry.com/software/s...ackberry-10-os
    11-24-17 08:10 PM
    Until they make something else clear...I think this is as clear as we can get. https://us.blackberry.com/software/s...ackberry-10-os
    Clear as mud. I'm going with 10.3.4 was rolled into the very delayed 10.3.3
    11-24-17 08:28 PM
    Like how they still promote BLEND as a feature on that link... it clearly was EOL back in July 31, 2016. And probably won't run on the majority of today's PC's.
    11-27-17 11:16 AM
    BB10 is dead. Most likely what you have is it. There was a BBM update a few days ago though.
    11-29-17 08:38 PM

Posted via CB10
    Last time Chen mentioned 10.3.4 was in Spring of 2016 and then he said it would ship around the end of 2016. I have never seen any comment from him about an update in 2017.
    11-30-17 07:36 PM
    BB10 is dead. Most likely what you have is it. There was a BBM update a few days ago though.
    And the focus of the update was to ease the transition to BBM on Android and iOS...

andy957 likes this.
    12-01-17 05:24 AM
    Last time Chen mentioned 10.3.4 was in Spring of 2016 and then he said it would ship around the end of 2016. I have never seen any comment from him about an update in 2017.
    Like I said earlier in the thread: I've read elsewhere that the 10.3.3 update was delayed to the point where they rolled the 10.3.4 items into 10.3.3.

12-01-17 11:38 AM
    And the focus of the update was to ease the transition to BBM on Android and iOS...

Exactly.
    12-01-17 08:59 PM
    Am also waiting for updates

Posted via CB10
    12-03-17 02:00 AM
49 12