Enemy? That is kind of kindergarden logic. I bet 1 $, if the BlackBerry users have the chance to migrate to Android today, at least 60% of them would. That is completely due to apps. That is the logic behind Priv actually. I know Bb10 users like their OS and stuff but unfortunately it is doomed to fail in the mainstream market. Great hardware but bad ecosystem. I miss my Nokia N9 too with all the gesture based MeeGo OS. But sadly it is dead. BlackBerry should and will focus on Android for the masses and Bb10 for enterprises. Anyways shame no Android or a solution to the gap app (proper and practical and secure) seems for that great Passport. Guess I'll buy a Priv so that BlackBerry can live to see another year maybe .

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-21-15 12:45 PM
    I would prefer a BlackBerry OS next generation passport. I expect BlackBerry to continue Upgrading/supporting users with new hardware and updates.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    Two updates, Yes. New hardware, no. Perhaps some internal upgrades but no real new BB10 phones. Company will spend efforts further securing Android to point is can prove good enough replacement for BB10. The BYOD environment means that companies are more interested with better securing their BYOD system than implementing BB10.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-15 01:06 PM
    wishful thinking,there's no profit in BB10.Compare Passport vs Priv sales after 6 months and from a economic pov you'll understand why Priv is the future of BB.
    There's no guarantee that the Priv is the future of anything. Right now it's basically one big experiment. It is available on ONE carrier in the U.S., and is priced out of reach for many people if they want to buy it on Amazon or Shop BlackBerry. There are plenty of other Android phones to choose from, with as good or better specifications for less money. The BlackBerry brand is tarnished in the minds of everyday consumers, so asking them to shell out $699+ tax or $249+ tax to take part in an experiment is ridiculous to a lot of people.
    dejanh likes this.
    12-21-15 01:09 PM
    There's no guarantee that the Priv is the future of anything. Right now it's basically one big experiment. It is available on ONE carrier in the U.S., and is priced out of reach for many people if they want to buy it on Amazon or Shop BlackBerry. There are plenty of other Android phones to choose from, with as good or better specifications for less money. The BlackBerry brand is tarnished in the minds of everyday consumers, so asking them to shell out $699+ tax or $249+ tax to take part in an experiment is ridiculous to a lot of people.
    Priv has better chance than any new BB10 phone. If Priv fails, you'll just keep seeing the same old Passport, Classic, Z30 and Leap on ShopBlackBerry. With Software acquisitions, BlackBerry will just continue in software as hardware dwindles to lower % of revenue.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-15 01:13 PM
    Priv has better chance than any new BB10 phone. If Priv fails, you'll just keep seeing the same old Passport, Classic, Z30 and Leap on ShopBlackBerry. With Software acquisitions, BlackBerry will just continue in software as hardware dwindles to lower % of revenue.

Posted via CB10
    Of course the Priv has a *better* chance than any new BB10 phone........but BlackBerry has hindered that chance by making it harder for people to afford or obtain. It might be a different story if it were like $149.99 on a 2 year contract, and $499 outright, and available on a multitude of carriers. If BlackBerry is going to follow the Android herd, it should also follow their lead in offering the same device on all major carriers. The Priv is a nice device and it finally has the apps most people want, so limiting access to BlackBerry's first real consumer-oriented device since iPhone ate its lunch doesn't make much sense.
    dejanh likes this.
    12-21-15 01:21 PM
    Actually, it's useable on TWO GSM carriers in the US and their respective MVNOs. Not sure why people, in this day and age, stick to the single carrier spiel. Still locked into the thinking that carriers have to coddle you.

Also, couldn't one still use a 'bill me later' option on Amazon or Shop Blackberry (or B&H)? Not sure why it's out of reach because you're still paying monthly for it through carrier purchasing.
    12-21-15 01:22 PM
    Of course the Priv has a *better* chance than any new BB10 phone........but BlackBerry has hindered that chance by making it harder for people to afford or obtain. It might be a different story if it were like $149.99 on a 2 year contract, and $499 outright, and available on a multitude of carriers. If BlackBerry is going to follow the Android herd, it should also follow their lead in offering the same device on all major carriers. The Priv is a nice device and it finally has the apps most people want, so limiting access to BlackBerry's first real consumer-oriented device since iPhone ate its lunch doesn't make much sense.
    They've priced it to make a profit. Chen and BlackBerry aren't looking to buy marketshare at expense of profits. BlackBerry can't afford to do that. Every division has to be profitable or they're just going to shut it down.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-15 01:25 PM
    Actually, it's useable on TWO GSM carriers in the US and their respective MVNOs. Not sure why people, in this day and age, stick to the single carrier spiel. Still locked into the thinking that carriers have to coddle you.

Also, couldn't one still use a 'bill me later' option on Amazon or Shop Blackberry (or B&H)? Not sure why it's out of reach because you're still paying monthly for it through carrier purchasing.
    BlackBerry doesn't have the clout that it used to. There may have been a time where one might abandon their carrier for a BlackBerry, but those days are long gone. You can get the Priv on monthly installments on at&t, but it is one of their 7 most expensive phones. Apple and Samsung have the luxury of being able to charge a premium for their devices, but after the last few years of BlackBerry getting laughed at in all aspects of the media, I can't imagine a whole lot of people willing to pay more for a BlackBerry, other than the fans and maybe some people that are curious.

You can use the Bill Me Later option on Shop BlackBerry through Pay Pal, but that's dependent on one's credit score, as it is for Amazon's store card too.

I guess my point is that if I have something that my company's future in hardware could possibly be dependent on, I'd be wanting it to be in as many hands as possible.
    12-21-15 01:31 PM
    They've priced it to make a profit. Chen and BlackBerry aren't looking to buy marketshare at expense of profits. BlackBerry can't afford to do that. Every division has to be profitable or they're just going to shut it down.

Posted via CB10
    They should have done with the Priv what they did with the Z10. It's unfortunate that this is the phone that consumers have the best chance of forgiving BlackBerry with, yet it's not anywhere near as accessible as the Z10 was. The Z10 came in black and white, was on at&t, Verizon and T-Mobile, and I think it was like $199.99. I got it on launch day on T-Mobile, and two of my friends got them on at&t before I did, since at&t had it for like a week prior.
    12-21-15 01:44 PM
    They should have done with the Priv what they did with the Z10. It's unfortunate that this is the phone that consumers have the best chance of forgiving BlackBerry with, yet it's not anywhere near as accessible as the Z10 was. The Z10 came in black and white, was on at&t, Verizon and T-Mobile, and I think it was like $199.99. I got it on launch day on T-Mobile, and two of my friends got them on at&t before I did, since at&t had it for like a week prior.
    They have no leverage. CDMA major carriers weren't interested until they see real sales figures. AT&T won't carry a small marginalized brand like BlackBerry without exclusivity offer. BlackBerry was lucky to get what they did. $199 was contract price for marginalized brand and OS at rollout. $249 is only $50 more with major OS and more phone.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-15 01:51 PM
    So if the ones who couldn't get use to BB10 gestures and requested the tool belt back were going to androids and iPhone I don't see how that helped as those phones don't have it either. Going backwards to the bold yes, but not to those other phones.
    BB10 is 100% gesture/swipe; Android has three navigation buttons and the iPhone one. What I posted is the official line from BlackBerry. If you don't buy it, fine, but don't blame me--I'm not making it up.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-15 02:01 PM
    The market will decide and we all want more BB10. So does gov and enterprise and so we will. Android sales will support further LUXURY OS BB10.

Posted from a Passport or Z30. Get one!
    12-21-15 02:07 PM
    BB10 is 100% gesture/swipe; Android has three navigation buttons and the iPhone one. What I posted is the official line from BlackBerry. If you don't buy it, fine, but don't blame me--I'm not making it up.

Posted via CB10
    Not blaming you for anything, just don't see how those other phones without track pad and call buttons helped any more than a bb10 phone unless they just like to push buttons no matter what they do as the android / iPhone buttons don't do the same thing as the old BlackBerry buttons lol.
    12-21-15 02:09 PM
    The market will decide and we all want more BB10. So does gov and enterprise and so we will. Android sales will support further LUXURY OS BB10.

Posted from a Passport or Z30. Get one!
    I agree with you. I could see them releasing an other iteration of the Classic with BlackBerry 10 for government etc. But the curved screen, crazy cameras and all that will be for their flagship Android phones, I'd imagine.
    12-21-15 02:15 PM
    Enemy? That is kind of kindergarden logic. I bet 1 $, if the BlackBerry users have the chance to migrate to Android today, at least 60% of them would. That is completely due to apps. That is the logic behind Priv actually. I know Bb10 users like their OS and stuff but unfortunately it is doomed to fail in the mainstream market. Great hardware but bad ecosystem. I miss my Nokia N9 too with all the gesture based MeeGo OS. But sadly it is dead. BlackBerry should and will focus on Android for the masses and Bb10 for enterprises. Anyways shame no Android or a solution to the gap app (proper and practical and secure) seems for that great Passport. Guess I'll buy a Priv so that BlackBerry can live to see another year maybe .

Do you have any idea where you are? And your low bet of only $1 suggests that you lack confidence in your assertion. Of course the logic is kindergarten, and some BlackBerry users do want Android, but keep in mind that up until a few months ago this site/forum was near 100% diehard BlackBerry, which meant the majority of comments around Android were either why Android sucks (from BlackBerry diehards) or why BB10/BlackBerry sucks (from Android trolls).

Many diehards do want more apps, but the want is for native BB10 apps--not ported Android apps and not Android apps from Amazon or Play. However, that was evidence to not going to happen back in 2013, so the other next best option is to run Android apps on BB10 with the help of ART; which allows users to install Play with Cobalt's method or to use Snap for Play apps. But, you are missing the point, which is: the ability to run Android apps on BB10 NOT to have a full blown Android OS on a BlackBerry handset. So, you are wrong. Most around here want BB10 with an updated ART for the simple sake of being able to use apps we currently would not have access to otherwise. And that is a huge difference.

As for the Priv, BlackBerry is certainly going gangbusters trying to promote that thing but here is the catch: there is no guarantee that it will stick around either, even if sales are good (that is, Chen gets his 5M + change). No matter how small of a footprint BB10 has one thing is for sure and that is it is still on solid ground... ...for now. The Priv has only been launched in what, five countries and also with a limited number of carriers/vendors. Who knows what will happen after the global rollout. Yeah, it will likely sell more handsets but how much more is the unknown. I mean, even if the Priv is not available for direct purchase in which-ever country buyers still have the option of using Shop BlackBerry, Amazon, and a few other Internet vendors. Perhaps most who want the Priv already bought a Priv (unless they are on Verizon or Sprint)?

Chen has threatened to leave handsets if need be a few times, and has yet to retract that stance. A year from now there could be zero handsets.
    12-21-15 02:27 PM
    Not blaming you for anything, just don't see how those other phones without track pad and call buttons helped any more than a bb10 phone unless they just like to push buttons no matter what they do as the android / iPhone buttons don't do the same thing as the old BlackBerry buttons lol.
    Yeah, I dunno. All I know is that BlackBerry claims to have done its research and the toolbelt is what was wanted. The physical call/end call buttons are quite nice, though.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-21-15 02:32 PM

Chen has threatened to leave handsets if need be a few times, and has yet to retract that stance. A year from now there could be zero handsets.
    Unlikely. I think we will see new Android and BlackBerry os devices coming out in the future.

Zeratul57 likes this.
    12-21-15 02:45 PM
    BlackBerry has a solid line up of phones that should last all through 2016. Lets get a new BB10 phone in 2017
    12-21-15 02:58 PM
    Is there any info about future Passport? As first owner group of Passport, I am looking forward to getting it.

Posted via CB10
    dont hold your breath
    12-21-15 03:08 PM
    Passport 2 will be All touch..

12-21-15 03:38 PM
    Do you have any idea where you are? And your low bet of only $1 suggests that you lack confidence in your assertion. Of course the logic is kindergarten, and some BlackBerry users do want Android, but keep in mind that up until a few months ago this site/forum was near 100% diehard BlackBerry, which meant the majority of comments around Android were either why Android sucks (from BlackBerry diehards) or why BB10/BlackBerry sucks (from Android trolls).

Many diehards do want more apps, but the want is for native BB10 apps--not ported Android apps and not Android apps from Amazon or Play. However, that was evidence to not going to happen back in 2013, so the other next best option is to run Android apps on BB10 with the help of ART; which allows users to install Play with Cobalt's method or to use Snap for Play apps. But, you are missing the point, which is: the ability to run Android apps on BB10 NOT to have a full blown Android OS on a BlackBerry handset. So, you are wrong. Most around here want BB10 with an updated ART for the simple sake of being able to use apps we currently would not have access to otherwise. And that is a huge difference.

As for the Priv, BlackBerry is certainly going gangbusters trying to promote that thing but here is the catch: there is no guarantee that it will stick around either, even if sales are good (that is, Chen gets his 5M + change). No matter how small of a footprint BB10 has one thing is for sure and that is it is still on solid ground... ...for now. The Priv has only been launched in what, five countries and also with a limited number of carriers/vendors. Who knows what will happen after the global rollout. Yeah, it will likely sell more handsets but how much more is the unknown. I mean, even if the Priv is not available for direct purchase in which-ever country buyers still have the option of using Shop BlackBerry, Amazon, and a few other Internet vendors. Perhaps most who want the Priv already bought a Priv (unless they are on Verizon or Sprint)?

How can I make my banking things with a work-around a developer with no contract to anywhere made? No offense but that kind of sounds insecure. ART is nice but BlackBerry should be the one releasing the files needed to download Play Store app. Don't get me wrong I like Bb10 but it lacks. Since I've used almost every OS including MeeGo and such, I don't understand the fanatism around OSes. Kind of weird to me. If Bb uploaded the files and supported the ART that would have costed way less than releasing priv I think. Anyways I order the priv so take care.

12-21-15 03:52 PM

It could work
    12-21-15 03:52 PM

Diehards are less than 800k a year. If I were the CEO I wouldn't care less to be honest.

so crow likes this.
    12-21-15 03:55 PM

I may not buy it then. The physical keyboard spoiled me. They should just come out with a separate line that is all touch.

12-21-15 04:00 PM
    Well-received and profitable are entirely different, mate.
    BB needs their devices to be profitable.
    12-21-15 06:33 PM
107 12345