There is likely to be at least one more BB10 handset, and my guess is that it will be a Passport 2 or a Classic 2.
    the Vienna looks like an android classic and the next passport will be android.
    12-20-15 10:10 PM
    Well since there are couple of videos with passport running Android, I don't think it is naive to think that a choice will be presented to current Passport owners. I would charge 50 $ to those with passports that want an Android software update.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-21-15 02:17 AM
    I don't think it is naive to think that a choice will be presented to current Passport owners
    You're right, they tested it.
    And the verdict is : mostly due to screen ratio (resulting in bad user experience) it won't happen.
    12-21-15 02:46 AM
    Is that confirmed? Android is a flexible OS. Apps may have black bars around but I believe user should be the one making the decision.

12-21-15 03:59 AM
    I'm on board with 'just any new OS10 device will do!' Just to see we are not forgotten

Posted via CB10
    The passport SE doesn't count as a new BB10 device?
    12-21-15 07:30 AM
    I really hope BlackBerry don't go exclusively android...I love bb10!!

Posted via CB10 - 9900 - Q10 - Playbook - (Passport SE?)
    Vistaus likes this.
    12-21-15 07:33 AM
    There aren't likely going to be any new BB10 devices, mate.
    I don't know if the situation is really that bleak when you consider this quote from the q3 report.

"So on the BB 10 front, we're on track to release our Version 10.3.3 supporting our NIAD certification for the government in our fiscal Q1. 10.3.4 will follow later in the year. These releases is designed to further demonstrate and differentiate BB 10 as the industry most secure device platform."

John Chen
    12-21-15 07:41 AM
    There's no way they'll have the capability of supporting one phone so thoroughly if it's no longer their prime baby. Sad but true

Posted via CB10
    12-21-15 08:15 AM
    I don't know if the situation is really that bleak when you consider this quote from the q3 report.
    [...]
    Supporting existing devices is all well and good, but releasing new devices (at a financial loss) is another thing entirely.
    12-21-15 08:17 AM

"So on the BB 10 front, we're on track to release our Version 10.3.3 supporting our NIAD certification for the government in our fiscal Q1. 10.3.4 will follow later in the year. These releases is designed to further demonstrate and differentiate BB 10 as the industry most secure device platform."

John Chen
    THIS

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    12-21-15 08:20 AM
    Supporting existing devices is all well and good, but releasing new devices (at a financial loss) is another thing entirely.
    Yes...but they did just release the Passport SE in August, so it is a new bb10 device, and it's been very well received. In fact I don't think I've read a single bad review about it...its hard to imagine bb is just going to abandon it. I don't know if they will release a new bb10 or bb11 passport...but I expect an android version would be a certainty.
    12-21-15 08:24 AM
    Well since there are couple of videos with passport running Android, I don't think it is naive to think that a choice will be presented to current Passport owners. I would charge 50 $ to those with passports that want an Android software update.

the profit in doing that is chump change,in contrast to redesigning a Passport 2 that runs Android,BB is a business not a charity
    12-21-15 08:27 AM

John Chen
    BB sold more Priv's than they did any/all BB10 devices combined the entire year,it's already documented the Vienna is up next. Chen stated the success of the Priv has allowed BB to do more fore their clients,the crystal ball is clear,BB developing android pones is the future,Now If Ray Charles can see this,the rest of you need to see it as well.
    12-21-15 08:34 AM
    BB sold more Priv's than they did any/all BB10 devices combined the entire year,it's already documented the Vienna is up next. Chen stated the success of the Priv has allowed BB to do more fore their clients,the crystal ball is clear,BB developing android pones is the future,Now If Ray Charles can see this,the rest of you need to see it as well.
    "Chen was, of course, asked about the future of BlackBerry and what the company's first Android phone means for the company. "Android in enterprise is a very underserved space," he said. "With our connection, our accounts, our knowhow, it has expanded our servable market. I love BB10 and I win in the very high-end there. But the very high-end is not big. In order to make money in the handset business, I need to expand that pie."

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/...andset-market/

Expanding the pie sounds good to me...the more pie the better.
    Chuck Finley69 likes this.
    12-21-15 08:39 AM
    Yes...of course they are going ahead with more bbdroid devices...but this doesn't mean they won't continue to develop and release bb10 devices down the road.

From an economic pov it wouldn't benefit BB to do so. Most of BB money generated prior to the Priv was through technical/security partnerships with firms,who use the BB10 devices currently available. The Classic is a classic no reason to change what's not broken. If you created a product that didn't generate enough revenue for the business to be in the red,why would you continue regardless of what loyalist say on a forum. No disrespect mate but I'm glad to see BB have some sort of footprint in the wireless device sector,and most of that thanks goes to Priv,so I'm in favor of BB continuing that success via android development.
    12-21-15 08:48 AM

From an economic pov it wouldn't benefit BB to do so. Most of BB money generated prior to the Priv was through technical/security partnerships with firms,who use the BB10 devices currently available. The Classic is a classic no reason to change what's not broken. If you created a product that didn't generate enough revenue for the business to be in the red,why would you continue regardless of what loyalist say on a forum. No disrespect mate but I'm glad to see BB have some sort of footprint in the wireless device sector,and most of that thanks goes to Priv,so I'm in favor of BB continuing that success via android development.
    They can do both in tandem.
    12-21-15 08:52 AM
    The day BlackBerry will be just android that'll be the day to go to windows 10 and that is not good then flip phone.
    12-21-15 09:00 AM
    Is that confirmed?
    Can't source so, no, it's not "official".
    So, let's say IMHO ...
    12-21-15 10:01 AM
    BB sold more Priv's than they did any/all BB10 devices combined the entire year
    What ?
    Current (estimated, thus the wide range) figures are in the 100-200K range (for the Q. fraction) .
    Last quarter sales BB10+BBOS was in the 800K range.
    Ernest Xiang likes this.
    12-21-15 10:04 AM
    What ?
    Current (estimated, thus the wide range) figures are in the 100-200K range (for the Q. fraction) .
    Last quarter sales BB10+BBOS was in the 800K range.
    Don't worry, they just don't want to listen to any logic or reason. In all, unless BlackBerry significantly revises their expectations on sales, there won't be an Android or a BlackBerry 10 option coming up. Vienna may materialize only because if the R&D has already been done, then they may as well recover anything they can from it (this is of course assuming the associated costs make financial sense). Otherwise, the HW division is finished.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    12-21-15 10:36 AM
    100-200 K depending on what?

12-21-15 10:56 AM
    Can't source so, no, it's not "official".
    So, let's say IMHO ...
    Much like many that said BB10 wouldn't come to the PlayBook for months and months, before it was finally made official..... No nothing is official.

IMHO - their making an announcement that there would be just two more minor updates to BB10, and no improvements for developers or for the runtime. Does leave room for other updates and for future hardware, if you so want to look at it that way. Then again it could mean that's it folks.....

If BlackBerry has definite plans for BB10.... I just think they would be clear about those plans for the sake of keeping whatever developers and enterprise customers they have from moving on.

As for the Passport.... it's not what they are indicating will be next for hardware (talking about Android).
    12-21-15 11:48 AM
    Yes...but they did just release the Passport SE in August, so it is a new bb10 device, and it's been very well received. In fact I don't think I've read a single bad review about it...its hard to imagine bb is just going to abandon it. I don't know if they will release a new bb10 or bb11 passport...but I expect an android version would be a certainty.
    I would prefer a BlackBerry OS next generation passport. I expect BlackBerry to continue Upgrading/supporting users with new hardware and updates.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    12-21-15 11:52 AM
    the Vienna looks like an android classic and the next passport will be android.
    The Vienna looks like a Classic as much as the Q10 does. While images of the Vienna clearly show three hardkeys, those are of the standard Android kind mind you. The toolbelt on the Classic is very specific with five hardkeys, including send, trackpad, and end buttons. BlackBerry brought back the toolbelt because those in enterprise specifically asked for it. But not out of reminiscence. BlackBerry found that enough users could not get used to, or simply did not like, the all-swipe gesture based navigation found in BB10, to build the Classic because those customers were leaving BB10 for Bolds, Andriods, and iOS.

So, the Vienna is not the Classic 2 and the Classic 2, if it ever sees the light of day, will be a BB10.

Is that confirmed? Android is a flexible OS. Apps may have black bars around but I believe user should be the one making the decision.

No, not confirmed. Logically however it makes little sense.

By the way, if users are the ones making the decision then the Priv would have been a BB10 handset, 10.4 would be right around the corner, ART would be updated to at least 5.1, and so on. What you actually believe is that you should get the choice for yourself only. Otherwise you would recognize that Android would still be considered the enemy that it was still only a few months ago.

Not sure about other devices, however, the Classic is still being built with most recent build dates of October 2015. Kind of goofy to continue to build devices for an OS that is dead, not profitable, and what-not.

As I wrote previously, BlackBerry does not need to keep an entire line of new BB10s. All they need is to release one solid device and it does not need to be a top-spec'd flagship, either. I am talking about a Classic 2 here with Passport chips, maybe slightly taller or wider, and maybe with a capacitive keyboard. Not sure what that would do to the trackpad but still, nothing groundbreaking here, stuff that BlackBerry already has, so costs would be at a minimum. Or the Leap with Passport chips and NFC. I know it sounds weird but BB10 does not need bleeding edge hardware in the same way that Android does.

Yeah, well, the SE is still just a Passport but with a premium chassis. Otherwise it is the same phone.

Evidence suggests that BlackBerry will hold onto the Passport well into the future. At least through 2016, anyways.

the profit in doing that is chump change,in contrast to redesigning a Passport 2 that runs Android,BB is a business not a charity
    There are still people out there, whether business professionals, those who wear tinfoil hats, or those who are just average joes who do not need, want, or cannot use an Android device. Period. This is not only a demographic that BlackBerry already has command over but one that will also not go away. If BlackBerry leaves them behind someone will step in. For example, ZTE, Kyocera, and Xioami are veterans with producing phones in small quantities of only 40K or so each run and with ZTE and Kyocera they also build their own fragmented versions of Android sans Play/Services. Then again, there is always still MS.

Not sure what it is like in other countries but here in the U.S. Samsung and Apple combined control over 70% of the market here. No other manufacturer, whether it be MS, HTC, LG, BlackBerry, and so on has more than 7% of market share in this country. No matter how you cut it BlackBerry will always remain a small time player with or without Android. Now, they can either choose to be a small player in the larger environment or the top player in the smaller environment if they were to select one over the other. But to be frank it would make more sense to continue with both; Android to stabilize and eventually profit--BB10 to boutique and remain at cost (that is, no profit gain or loss). Why do this? Well, because BlackBerry could still profit from BB10 through BB10-specific services and apps.

Right, but keep in mind that a huge source of revenue for BlackBerry was BIS. Now that BBOS devices are going dark each quarter, that revenue stream is drying up. It may be difficult for BlackBerry to maintain both platforms right now but soon enough in 2016 it may move to being more financially stable. Perhaps by the end of the year (2016) they could afford to do so. Bottom line: just because they cannot afford to so at this very minute does not mean they could not afford to do so in a year or two. Unless they have a specific roadmap that includes the EOL for BB10 at this point in time it makes sense for them to continue to hold on for the time being.
    12-21-15 12:07 PM
    So if the ones who couldn't get use to BB10 gestures and requested the tool belt back were going to androids and iPhone I don't see how that helped as those phones don't have it either. Going backwards to the bold yes, but not to those other phones.
    12-21-15 12:10 PM
107 1234 ...