I trust BlackBerry's security... If they include some apps such as Amazon Store as part of their OS packages, it must be 'safe', right? Or I'm missing something there?

Posted via CB10
    06-26-15 11:15 PM
    I trust BlackBerry's security... If they include some apps such as Amazon Store as part of their OS packages, it must be 'safe', right? Or I'm missing something there?

Posted via CB10
    Amazon app store has access to stored files and location. I don't know what they can do with that info, and they're probably not doing anything malicious with it, but it is in everyone's best interests to be skeptical.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-15 11:28 PM
    Shared files:
    Any BlackBerry Appp requires this permission if they wanna write/read files out of their own sandbox. So in case you want to write an APK file to the SD card, save a picture or anything then this permission is required.

This is probably needed to show specific apps for your region, etc. BlackBerry World does this too.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-15 12:09 AM
    Shared files:
    Any BlackBerry Appp requires this permission if they wanna write/read files out of their own sandbox. So in case you want to write an APK file to the SD card, save a picture or anything then this permission is required.

This is probably needed to show specific apps for your region, etc. BlackBerry World does this too.

Posted via CB10
    Makes sense, and there really isn't all that much info required of the user in that case. I'm impressed.

The Amazon store app (for regular amazon shopping, shipped to you) that has been baked into the 10.3.2 OS asks for everything, however. Why does Amazon want my mic? Doesn't matter much, as I'd bet everyone just tosses it into their junk app folder.
    Any downsides to amazon apps?-img_20150627_182049.png

Posted via CB10
    06-27-15 06:21 PM
    The bottom line is that the issues with the Amazon App Store point to the general problems of running Android apps on Blackberry phones, which raises the general issue (which is gradually improving) of the shortage of Blackberry OS apps.

Still, it would be nice if someone would create a Blackberry app which could in some way allow us to lock down the Android apps further.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-15 07:01 PM
    Yes they eat your battery and steal your data. Completely unsecure. Avoid.

Posted via CB10
    Tim Heard likes this.
    06-28-15 12:25 PM
    If that is the case, then BlackBerry is losing one of their (marketing) advantage i.e. 'security' for including Amazon Store on their BB10 OS.

Posted via CB10
    Trauma Surgeon likes this.
    06-28-15 11:32 PM
    I think it's funny people want more "security" with the Android apps that we run on our BB's. Then they wouldn't be Android apps, they would be native BB10 apps. And I'm not holding my breath for those!

Posted via CB10
    06-29-15 02:58 AM
    Again, 'Android' is unsecured. And by adopting Android apps / games, BlackBerry is losing their 'security' advantage over the other OS's. Does it sounds logic?

Posted via CB10
    06-29-15 03:50 AM
    I wish we could opt out android permissions and deny Internet acces. It would make android apps more secure.

Posted via CB10
    Tim Heard likes this.
    06-29-15 04:23 AM
    I've downloaded a few android apps from amazon and I'd have to say they suck. They have clunky performance and are sluggish. Map my run doesn't work and claims to need google services installed.

Posted via CB10 Passport
    07-04-15 10:29 AM
    What I'd like to have is the ability to uninstall the Amazon app store.
    I'm not saying that everyone should, but if I want to, I should be able to.

I think it's funny people want more "security" with the Android apps that we run on our BB's. Then they wouldn't be Android apps, they would be native BB10 apps. And I'm not holding my breath for those!

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    Trauma Surgeon likes this.
    07-07-15 11:29 AM
    As further update. There are some amazon / google apps that work very well. And then there are a few that just suck down battery, even if never opened or used. Removing them instantly fix the battery drain issues.

Posted via CB10 Passport
    08-31-15 11:56 AM
    As further update. There are some amazon / google apps that work very well. And then there are a few that just suck down battery, even if never opened or used. Removing them instantly fix the battery drain issues.
    Sounds pretty much like life in general. Nothing is perfect...grab what you want / feel comfortable with and ignore the rest.

Posted with the elite BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    08-31-15 02:09 PM
39 12