Hello everyone!

It's been a long time since I've joined and posted a thread in a forum and it feels good to be able to do so again

I have never owned a Blackberry product in my life. Always been an android or an iPhone user so transitioning to a Blackberry Passport would be a dramatic event for me Anywho, what I would really like to know is, what are the common issues and/or problems you all have experienced with the Passport? I'm getting ready to purchase one this coming weekend and I have been reading and watching reviews regarding how great this device is but I've also read that it has overheating issues as well as camera focus issues. Can anyone clarify on this even further? Are there any other known issues and/or problems I need to worry about? I currently live in the Philippines and it is such as hassle to get a hold of a decent support/warranty center here if such a problem would arise. Plus, normally, the retail store would only give you 3-7days return policy if the devise is defective so to me it's a dilemma. I've been saving up for this device since I first found out about it earlier this year and I've just now saved enough to be able to afford one so with that in mind, what are your thoughts/suggest to the matter?

Again, thank you guys for any help you can offer.
    05-25-16 10:43 AM
    I have never had any structural problems with my original Passport and my wife has never had problems either with hers, but you will read about screen-lifting problems, camera focus, and heating problems quite often as you note. Remember that usually what you hear about are problems just because that is the nature of these forums. There is a thread somewhere here on CB with hundreds of postings on the great quality and function of Passports but you tend to see people front and center making complaints about something rather than praising. The silent majority is overall pleased with the device IMHO. Initially, when I read about the device I thought it was stupid, and that I would never be caught dead with it. I first picked one up at a carrier display and realized that it had a very solid feeling. And it was not as bad as I previously had thought. Later that night, I was on CB when someone mentioned that there was a 25% discount on ShopBB with a code. This was an error by ShopBB and had been intended for accessories only. If I remember correctly (Oct 2015) only about 200 devices were sold at that great price and I quickly snagged 2, one for me and one for my wife. Turns out that this has been the best device I have ever used. The greatest problem that most people talked about at the introduction time is getting used to the bizarre 3-row keyboard and it's virtual 4th row. It took me about a week to get used to that, so be prepared.

As for the screen lift issue, I would advise you to NOT carry your Passport in a pocket of tight jeans. If you do, at least get a good case to help protect the frame bending that may occur. This is a very controversial subject and I may be chastised for saying this, but I believe it may be part of the problem.

For the camera issues, realize that there ARE definitely better cameras in phones, but overall I am pleased with the camera in my Passport. This site shows many http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...camera-961595/ photos. Most or many are great shots (some not so great!), but it demonstrates that in good lighting, the Passport can take nice shots. There is, no doubt, a focusing issue, but it has been addressed in a software update to some degree so update your device with the latest OS.

Lastly, if apps are important to you, you may want to re-think getting the Passport or any BB10 device for that matter. The ecosystem is just not going to be there 100%. For me (and others) it has been no problem (yet), but it may be a big problem in the nearby future. If you are all about emails, texting, phone call quality and basic communications then, in my opinion, the Passport is a fantastic choice.
    05-25-16 11:13 AM
    Does anyone how to fix the led problem that only blinks once for email or not at all at times. ?? Works fine for other notifications but email I'll get one on no led notification at all. Tried restarting but that didn't work.

Anyone else have this problem? It's the one thing I do need bb10 to do right as I use emails for work throughout the day.

This is an issue I'm having. I wouldn't say common problem but could someone shed light?..

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by djchrisluna; 05-25-16 at 01:41 PM.
    05-25-16 11:16 AM
    Does anyone how to fix the led problem that only blinks once for email or not at all at times. ?? Works fine for other notifications but email I'll get one on no led notification at all. Tried restarting but that didn't work.

Anyone else have this problem? It's the one thing I do need bb10 to do right as I use emails for work throughout the day.

Posted via CB10
    Wow....thread high jacked.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-16 12:19 PM
    I'd never had a Blackberry before, I'm my fourth week with a Passport, came from Android.

Pros:
    • Solid device, no hardware problems.
    • Comfortable keyboard.
    • Wider screen, more comfortable to read documents, browse the web.
    • Wider but still portable, fits in all my pockets. This does require some getting use to, which is to be expected.
    • Well done, thought through OS. Have a meeting in the calendar? The phone will go in meeting mode on its own (tells you it's about to before) to keep notifications from showing for that time. Going to sleep? Put it in bedside mode and it goes into battery saving mode. Just many nice details like that.
    • The hub centralises all your messages, from email to whatsapp to BBM to SMS.
    • The battery lasts longer, I've been able to go for our days without recharging, two days might be more normal.

Cons:
    • The apps you're used to might not be available. The ones you care about are more important than having hundreds of thousands of apps. Solution for some: if there is a web counterpart, for instance Uber and Google Maps. Another taxi service in Mexico City (Yaxi) hasn't thought of doing a web option; consequence? I don't use their service.
    • You can get the Play Store to work and thus install android apps thanks to the hard work of Cobalt232; some apps will work, others will require you to patch them, and he provides a patcher; as far as I understand this patcher only works on Windows and since I'm on OS X I can't patch.
    • Some android apps make the phone work extra hard, get hot and consume the battery; Kindle on the amazon app store did this for me. Consequence? I don't use Kindle.
    • Some details aren't working: The native Maps app works, but then stops working; rebooting fixes that, but in all truth I don't need my phone to behave like Windows 98 and reboot for anything. I can't send a dropbox attachment for email through the hub; I found a work around: find the file and "share" it through email.
    • Whatsapp will stop working. Consequence: I'm asking my contacts to find me on BBM.

It all comes down to:
    1. Do you expect everything to just work or can you be flexible and invest the time in making it work? There's no right or wrong answer. In Android it was a question of looking for apps and trying them out, many didn't work as intended, so there's already some effort expected from you. For iPhones it's whether Mama Apple says it's all right or not: a lot more safety and security, at a hefty monetary and freedom price.
    2. The lack of a few specific apps would be a deal breaker. The ones that do work for me but would make me go back to Android if they stopped working are: Google authenticator, Box, Dropbox, oneDrive, Google Drive (which works, barely), Telegram (android), the jury is still out on the whatsapp situation.
    05-25-16 01:03 PM
    Hello everyone!

It's been a long time since I've joined and posted a thread in a forum and it feels good to be able to do so again

I have never owned a Blackberry product in my life. Always been an android or an iPhone user so transitioning to a Blackberry Passport would be a dramatic event for me Anywho, what I would really like to know is, what are the common issues and/or problems you all have experienced with the Passport? I'm getting ready to purchase one this coming weekend and I have been reading and watching reviews regarding how great this device is but I've also read that it has overheating issues as well as camera focus issues. Can anyone clarify on this even further? Are there any other known issues and/or problems I need to worry about? I currently live in the Philippines and it is such as hassle to get a hold of a decent support/warranty center here if such a problem would arise. Plus, normally, the retail store would only give you 3-7days return policy if the devise is defective so to me it's a dilemma. I've been saving up for this device since I first found out about it earlier this year and I've just now saved enough to be able to afford one so with that in mind, what are your thoughts/suggest to the matter?

Buy the Passport from an authorized dealer/seller (MemoExpress). It may be more expensive than what the grey unit dealers (Kimstore/Widget City/Hotgadgets) offer, but you're at least assured of after-sales services (warranty/repair/replacement).

*A3-A20
    BigAl_BB9900 and Ace Platero like this.
    05-25-16 01:21 PM
    Managed to snag the pre patched google maps app, it works! So one less problem. Available right here on crackberry.
    05-25-16 04:04 PM
    my only problem is the lifted screen, see the photo.Any common problems with BB Passport?-img_20160525_234014.jpg

Since the day that it became so obvious I have in my hands the Leap (too little) and Priv (fragile and android) but always going back to my Passport, I LOVE IT!!!!
    05-25-16 04:55 PM
    thank you so much for advise and it made me even more excited about getting one!
    05-25-16 06:23 PM
    I'd never had a Blackberry before, I'm my fourth week with a Passport, came from Android.

Pros:
    • Solid device, no hardware problems.
    • Comfortable keyboard.
    • Wider screen, more comfortable to read documents, browse the web.
    • Wider but still portable, fits in all my pockets. This does require some getting use to, which is to be expected.
    • Well done, thought through OS. Have a meeting in the calendar? The phone will go in meeting mode on its own (tells you it's about to before) to keep notifications from showing for that time. Going to sleep? Put it in bedside mode and it goes into battery saving mode. Just many nice details like that.
    • The hub centralises all your messages, from email to whatsapp to BBM to SMS.
    • The battery lasts longer, I've been able to go for our days without recharging, two days might be more normal.

Cons:
    • The apps you're used to might not be available. The ones you care about are more important than having hundreds of thousands of apps. Solution for some: if there is a web counterpart, for instance Uber and Google Maps. Another taxi service in Mexico City (Yaxi) hasn't thought of doing a web option; consequence? I don't use their service.
    • You can get the Play Store to work and thus install android apps thanks to the hard work of Cobalt232; some apps will work, others will require you to patch them, and he provides a patcher; as far as I understand this patcher only works on Windows and since I'm on OS X I can't patch.
    • Some android apps make the phone work extra hard, get hot and consume the battery; Kindle on the amazon app store did this for me. Consequence? I don't use Kindle.
    • Some details aren't working: The native Maps app works, but then stops working; rebooting fixes that, but in all truth I don't need my phone to behave like Windows 98 and reboot for anything. I can't send a dropbox attachment for email through the hub; I found a work around: find the file and "share" it through email.
    • Whatsapp will stop working. Consequence: I'm asking my contacts to find me on BBM.

It all comes down to:
    1. Do you expect everything to just work or can you be flexible and invest the time in making it work? There's no right or wrong answer. In Android it was a question of looking for apps and trying them out, many didn't work as intended, so there's already some effort expected from you. For iPhones it's whether Mama Apple says it's all right or not: a lot more safety and security, at a hefty monetary and freedom price.
    2. The lack of a few specific apps would be a deal breaker. The ones that do work for me but would make me go back to Android if they stopped working are: Google authenticator, Box, Dropbox, oneDrive, Google Drive (which works, barely), Telegram (android), the jury is still out on the whatsapp situation.
    this is exactly what I needed! thank you!
    05-25-16 06:25 PM
    my only problem is the lifted screen, see the photo.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160525_234014.jpg 
Views:	790 
Size:	163.9 KB 
ID:	400655

Since the day that it became so obvious I have in my hands the Leap (too little) and Priv (fragile and android) but always going back to my Passport, I LOVE IT!!!!

oh wow... is this issue strictly for the original BB Passport or has this screen lifting issue an issue for all variants of the Passport? I have my heart set on the Silver Edition. Has anyone experience screen lifting issue on the Silver Edition before?
    05-25-16 06:27 PM
    Buy the Passport from an authorized dealer/seller (MemoExpress). It may be more expensive than what the grey unit dealers (Kimstore/Widget City/Hotgadgets) offer, but you're at least assured of after-sales services (warranty/repair/replacement).

*A3-A20

I didn't realise that MemoExpress carry/sold Blackberry Passports? Does all branches of MemoExpress carry them or only a select few?
    05-25-16 06:29 PM
    Yes I just sent back the SE Silver for screen lift new out the box. It's a design flaw. My Red Passport over one year old and abused daily is bullet proof.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-16 08:12 PM
    I got a PP SE and after a couple of days I noticed the the very top of the screen had some lift. If I would swipe down it was noticeable. Also noticed that the keyboard was lit more on the left side with not much light in the middle. Called BlackBerry store and after about an hour they were sending me a new Passport SE. Two days later I got a new phone that is perfect. No screen lift, all letters on keyboard light up. Great phone and the service people were very helpful. I really like this phone.

Posted via CB10
    Ace Platero likes this.
    05-25-16 08:20 PM
    Its not really a design flaw. All phones use two sides tape to hold down screens. Lots of Samsungs have this same screen problem. Really depends on how things are handled and applied by HUMAN BEINGS. Human - design flaw.
    Ace Platero likes this.
    05-25-16 08:45 PM
    I didn't realise that MemoExpress carry/sold Blackberry Passports? Does all branches of MemoExpress carry them or only a select few?
    Only a few branches have it now. They replaced it with the Priv. Some have the Classic as well.

*A3-A20
    05-25-16 10:30 PM
    The Passport is a pretty solid phone. To answer some of your questions :

I've never really experienced overheating except maybe once or twice (since Jan 2015).

The camera had bouts of weird focusing issues, but typically performs far better than people complain about.

I really hope you enjoy the phone! It's far more productive than any phone I've used. And as mentioned earlier: just check what you need vs what you want in a device before you invest, just in case

P.S. A picture taken by the phone attached as an example of the camera capabilities
    Any common problems with BB Passport?-img_20160517_133040.jpg

Posted via CB10
    05-26-16 06:44 AM
    Like S1lv1o and yourself, I was never a legacy BlackBerry user, came from iOS but also used Android. I was drawn in by the Passport's unique form factor and got the OG Black the day it was launched. My first PKB device, it took a few days to get used to but I'm hooked.

S1lv1o's post is a great summary, I'd add that the audio quality for phone calls (including speakerphone) is excellent. I've heard good things about the Passport SE - bigger chin, slightly softer keys, and slightly cleaner audio, but also slightly thicker.

I personally believe the BlackBerry Passport is one of the best devices BlackBerry has ever built, and one of the best devices on the market, regardless of platform (though not for everyone). If BlackBerry stays in devices, I sincerely hope they consider making an Android variant to succeed the Passport and improve further upon the form factor and software. It definitely stands out in a sea of slabs.

Congrats, and hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
    aboldcurve and Ace Platero like this.
    05-26-16 10:03 AM

*A3-A20
    Was really disappointed with the Memo Xpress here in my town (Pampanga). They used to have BlackBerry phones on display, but a few days ago when I walked by their store, they were all gone. .... and no, I don't think that's because they were all sold. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-16 10:21 AM
    [QUOTE=Ace Platero;12445201]Hello everyone!

Again, thank you guys for any help you can offer.[QUOTE

I have had a Passport for a long time and my company has over 100 in service. While you will hear about screen lift and alike, we have not seen any of this; that said. If you are looking at a Passport be aware of one issue, it will become major as time marches on. The OS is in need of a Run-Time update. This looks to be a non starter, but in the end know one knows for sure. That said most apps will run being side-loaded on the phone, this too might change as updates come out and the BlackBerry OS does not keep up. So in the end it really is up to your needs, a good option might be to try a friends if any have one. Any other questions just let me know...Woof>
    Ace Platero likes this.
    05-26-16 10:23 AM
    I have had a Passport for a long time and my company has over 100 in service. While you will hear about screen lift and alike, we have not seen any of this; that said. If you are looking at a Passport be aware of one issue, it will become major as time marches on. The OS is in need of a Run-Time update. This looks to be a non starter, but in the end know one knows for sure. That said most apps will run being side-loaded on the phone, this too might change as updates come out and the BlackBerry OS does not keep up. So in the end it really is up to your needs, a good option might be to try a friends if any have one. Any other questions just let me know...Woof>
    True. However, if an app is working now through Cobalt's download and/or patching, it should work for a good long time, several years, imho. AND, if an update suddenly breaks compatibility it's not a big issue to dial it back down to the last version that worked. The biggest concern would be new apps that require post 4.3 compatibility.
    05-26-16 10:29 AM
    Hello everyone!

First off, the Passport will reward you with all of its out of the box goodness. The square screen (awkward at first) does really make sense for browsing, reading, etc... For videos, yeah it's small and has the black bars when you're watching, but I personally got used to it after just a few days (although I use a laptop when I want to watch lengthy videos)..
    And because it's wide, people automatically think it's big. Well, even when I'm wearing slim fit jeans it fits my pockets. It will be obvious however.
    The keyboard is a joy to use and like the form factor, you'll get used to it after a few days. It's fun especially with its capacitive feature.
    Battery life is great. In general, I'd say that average use would leave you with 30-40% at the end of the day.... 20% or less for heavy use.
    And then there's the OS related stuff - Hub, Peek & Flow, etc. Read about them and you'll be convinced, they're all that good.

As for the cons:
    The rear camera is admittedly slow to focus. But picture quality is nice. Look for the Pics taken with the Passport camera thread. As for the front cam, it's not great, but it's okay for simple well-lit selfies.
    Regarding support in the PH.. Granted, I've never had a problem with my Passport, but I think I'd go to Greenhills, San Juan for repairs if ever. Also, retailers like kimstore and hotgadgets usually say there's a 1 year service warranty when you buy from them.

Lastly.....apps. Since you're coming from iOS/Android, you'll might miss a lot when you're on BB10. Certain ones (social media, games, etc) simply don't have apps for BB10, but there are ways you could probably get them to work. After all, BB10 can run Android apps (just not 100%).
    Ace Platero likes this.
    05-26-16 10:35 AM
    So I pulled the trigger yesterday and purchased the silver edition and wow! It feels great just holding it. I installed a nillkin snap back case as well as a nillkin tempered glass as soon as I removed it from the box. The weight is perfect for me and I really love how robust the body/frame of the unit feels! Keyboard is definitely something to get used to but I'm sure after a few days of use, it'll be second nature. Updated to the latest software 10.3.2.2836. Haven't noticed any heating issues so far and the camera to me seems to focus fine. The screen doesn't have any abnormal gaps and the touch screen is very responsive with no noticeable lag. I'll post on an update on the battery life later on but honestly, if I can get a day of life from a full charge then I think that should suffice my needs. Again, just wanted to thank everyone that gave me their honest advise and tool their time to help me.
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    05-29-16 07:03 AM
    But I've noticed a few things from one day of use:

Facebook app crashes after launching

and

the video that is being played from the video player does not play smoothly. It would play fine then it would slow down then speeds up really fast..

Any ideas guys?
    05-29-16 07:07 AM
    Common problem, addiction to the passport.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    05-29-16 10:27 AM
47 12