Hi

Any one actually caught a virus or malware using the anti virus at blackberry world?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 04:20 AM
    There are no known viruses for BlackBerry. Antivirus software is unnecessary.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 via Tapatalk
    11-08-14 04:49 AM
    Essentially, anti virus products for BlackBerry 10 are useless. I've never heard of anyone getting a virus on a bb10 handset ever. They just prey on people's fear. You can scan the CrackBerry forums as much as you like, you'll not find anyone who has encountered a virus. As far as I'm aware, currently the only risk is from adware and malware from some Android apps, but that depends on the permissions you grant the app. For example, if a flashlight app wants access to your files, contacts and location, don't install it. Because Android apps run in a sandboxed runtime, a virus concealed within an Android app can only corrupt the runtime, if anything. Given that we have BlackBerry Guardian as an extra layer of protection when installing from sources other than bbw, I really wouldn't worry at all.

This is currently the state of things and of course, may not hold true for the future.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 O2 UK
    Spawn12 likes this.
    11-08-14 04:50 AM
    Not tech savvy enough to say for definite but could a virus use our BlackBerries as a vector for infecting connected PCS without affecting the phone itself?

Via Z10 or Passport, whichever is to hand
    11-08-14 05:57 AM
    Not tech savvy enough to say for definite but could a virus use our BlackBerries as a vector for infecting connected PCS without affecting the phone itself?

I think that is the point of the anivirus programs, to catch any files that we may have on our phones before we pass them on to our computers or others. For example if you download a malicious file or get a virus in an email attachment.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 08:07 AM

Possibly, but one would assume that the antivirus on your computer could handle that. Also, the likelihood of a virus getting past BlackBerry guardian on the back of an app install is remote. I don't think anything other than a proper attachment can be downloaded from an email onto a BlackBerry smartphone anyway. To reiterate; this is the current state of things but nobody knows what the future holds. The bottom line is that if security software on your BlackBerry makes you feel better, then go for it. It certainly can't hurt, but is in my view and according to all the evidence, unnecessary at present. Personally, I'm loathe to install anything that may hinder the operation of my phone even for a fraction of a second without any evidence at all that it is necessary. As soon as it becomes necessary, it's likely that someone else will discover it and you'll read all about it long before being affected by it. The odds of you being the first to be affected by a virus or security threat out of the whole BlackBerry community are staggering so relax until action is required.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 O2 UK
    J Morehouse likes this.
    11-08-14 11:19 AM
    I own one of the world's top software security testing labs and we are the world?s largest supplier of malicious binaries and URLs.

We have not conducted a full public comparative assessment of mobile anti-malware applications as yet (we will do next year). However we did do a quick check on the two native BB anti-malware products.

There is no native BlackBerry malware, so we tested using malicious apk and windows binaries ( BlackBerry 10 runs Android apps now so security products should detect malicious apk files, also, the BlackBerry itself could be used as an infection vector between PCs, so security software should detect windows malware)

We tested Max Mobile Security and it detected none of the malicious apk or windows malware (0%)

Secure Antivirus Pro did detect some of the malicious apk and windows malware.

We contacted the vendor and told him about the results about in an effort to help him, we gave him access to our malware feed for free, so therefore, we estimate it will now have even better protection.

We contacted the other vendor about our feed, but they never got back to us!

Make your own minds up!

What annoys me is in the app store people rate these products as being great etc - how do they know? We process half a million unique malicious binaries and apk files per day and a quarter of a million malicious URLs.

Without the malware, how can you test a product or say it is good etc.

Take a look at Neil Rubenking at PC Mag, he uses our feed when he tests security products.

In short, unless you are installing obscure android malware. You don't really need an anti-malware on your BlackBerry.

I believe 10.3.2 will have Trend Micro security installed by default and it will automatically block the installation of malicious apk files.

Cheers,

Chris.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 02:06 PM
    I own one of the world's top software security testing labs and we are the world?s largest supplier of malicious binaries and URLs.

We have not conducted a full public comparative assessment of mobile anti-malware applications as yet (we will do next year). However we did do a quick check on the two native BB anti-malware products.

There is no native BlackBerry malware, so we tested using malicious apk and windows binaries ( BlackBerry 10 runs Android apps now so security products should detect malicious apk files, also, the BlackBerry itself could be used as an infection vector between PCs, so security software should detect windows malware)

We tested Max Mobile Security and it detected none of the malicious apk or windows malware (0%)

Secure Antivirus Pro did detect some of the malicious apk and windows malware.

We contacted the vendor and told him about the results about in an effort to help him, we gave him access to our malware feed for free, so therefore, we estimate it will now have even better protection.

We contacted the other vendor about our feed, but they never got back to us!

Make your own minds up!

What annoys me is in the app store people rate these products as being great etc - how do they know? We process half a million unique malicious binaries and apk files per day and a quarter of a million malicious URLs.

Without the malware, how can you test a product or say it is good etc.

Take a look at Neil Rubenking at PC Mag, he uses our feed when he tests security products.

In short, unless you are installing obscure android malware. You don't really need an anti-malware on your BlackBerry.

I believe 10.3.2 will have Trend Micro security installed by default and it will automatically block the installation of malicious apk files.

Cheers,

Chris.

Posted via CB10

EXACTLY the answer I was looking for. So many stars at the blackberry world review. But no one really ever got to catch a virus. I was thinking of purchasing. But I think no sense at all if it doesnt work.

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 07:00 PM
    EXACTLY the answer I was looking for. So many stars at the blackberry world review. But no one really ever got to catch a virus. I was thinking of purchasing. But I think no sense at all if it doesnt work.

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    Secure Antivirus even says it on the description lol

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 08:09 PM
    No need.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 09:00 PM
    To be fair, I don't have a lab to test apk but I did downloaded 1st Mobile Market to try Secure AV because I bought the app just to contribute. Got every possible shady app I could find, and it did found malwares. That was then... now with partnership with amazon, to me AV's have become useless unless you still use shady android markets like 1st. Other than that I do scan from time to time, just because it's there and it proved (to me) that it could find and quarantine malwares.

Hardcore BlackBerry 'er
    11-09-14 04:49 AM
    Hi

Any one actually caught a virus or malware using the anti virus at blackberry world?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    I think there can't be any virus in BlackBerry Device except some malicious android apps. It may be there in memory card.

I have a Secure Anti-Virus App, but believe me even I didn't find any virus in the card.

I think this is because of in built security of BlackBerry.

So no worries 'Keep Calm till you have BlackBerry'

Posted via CB10 on my Q10 (OS 10.2.1.3442) (BBM Channel C002CA0BA)
    Last edited by iamvarunshah; 11-09-14 at 12:07 PM.
    damien kupuku likes this.
    11-09-14 04:56 AM