I had it happen with a Classic.
    07-19-15 09:48 PM
    Here's the thing though, they don't really care. I heavily documented my brand new, actually used, Passport. I took pictures of the box, the phone, everything.

I asked repeatedly with the chat agent to send the photos to him and to please provide me with information for a supervisor. He told me all he could do was refund me and provide a shipping label, but promised me I would receive follow up contact to gather more information.

I never received any emails or phone calls.
    Similar to my experience with Amazon and the defective Passport (Bluetooth connections). They sent me a new one immediately, no hassle, and even promised to try to coordinate the issue with BlackBerry just so BlackBerry would become aware of the issue (on many Passports), but when I tried to follow throughout they completely blew me off. I guess that's what happens when you're running a multibillion dollar business. This sort of thing is of no interest to them. Just give the customer a replacement and he'll go away with nothing to complain about.
    07-19-15 11:12 PM
    Same here. Amazon (UK) sent me a very used Blackberry, even had a Sony charger.

To be fair they apologised, discounted 10% off and sent me a new one. But it was annoying.
    In the UK, selling used goods branded as new is an offence under the Sales of Goods Act - this news story includes a fairly easy to understand description of the law: Consumers warned over used goods sold as new - News - The Independent

Trading Standards have always taken the view that it should be clearly pointed out to the consumer if goods are not brand new.

Did you buy from Amazon UK themselves, or a Merchant that sells via Amazon UK? Was it from the main Amazon UK website or from the 'Amazon Warehouse' (which Amazon describes as usually selling products that are second-hand)?
    07-20-15 12:02 AM
    Did you buy from Amazon UK themselves, or a Merchant that sells via Amazon UK? Was it from the main Amazon UK website or from the 'Amazon Warehouse' (which Amazon describes as usually selling products that are second-hand)?
    We all know the differences. This same comment gets repeated over and over again. Regardless if it's a brand new product being sold directly through Amazon or Fullfilled by Amazon, or on Amazon but from a 3rd party seller, new is NEW, not USED, not REFURB, but NEW. Amazon Warehouse Deals are secondhand, used (but often great condition) products.

The whole "You didn't buy directly from Amazon" argument is irrelevant, this has happened on new Passports being sold from Shop BlackBerry, Amazon, Fullfilled by Amazon, and 3rd party vendors. It's time to stop putting the blame on one avenue of purchase, it's happening everywhere.
    07-20-15 12:17 AM
    We all know the differences. This same comment gets repeated over and over again. Regardless if it's a brand new product being sold directly through Amazon or Fullfilled by Amazon, or on Amazon but from a 3rd party seller, new is NEW, not USED, not REFURB, but NEW. Amazon Warehouse Deals are secondhand, used (but often great condition) products.

The whole "You didn't buy directly from Amazon" argument is irrelevant, this has happened on new Passports being sold from Shop BlackBerry, Amazon, Fullfilled by Amazon, and 3rd party vendors. It's time to stop putting the blame on one avenue of purchase, it's happening everywhere.
    The reason I was asking 'James in York' the question, is that I wanted to know who was breaking the law in the UK eg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sale_of_Goods_Act_1979, or not.

My understanding is that Amazon behaves differently in different countries, as different countries have different consumer protection laws.

I used to do voluntary work at the largest generic free legal advice centre in London, and being wrongly sold used goods, branded as new, was a very common issue for our clients.
    07-20-15 12:25 AM
    The reason I was asking 'James in York' the question, is I wanted to know who was breaking the law in the UK eg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sale_of_Goods_Act_1979, or not.
    It's not illegal everywhere? Isn't that fraud, selling a used item and misrepresenting it as new?
    07-20-15 12:28 AM
    It's not illegal everywhere? Isn't that fraud, selling a used item and misrepresenting it as new?
    I have a very limited understanding of consumer protection law and practices in England & the rest of the UK - I have no idea what the laws are in other countries (and, irrespective of whatever laws there are, the actual practices of consumer protection).
    07-20-15 12:34 AM
    Happened to me as well. Sad, and fraudulent.
    Precisely my opinion too. I bought mine off an Amazon-like website everything was new. Amazon better get their **** together.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 03:47 AM
    Precisely my opinion too. I bought mine off an Amazon-like website everything was new. Amazon better get their **** together.
    In all honesty, there's really no point in getting mad at Amazon, it's not their fault. I'm a loyal Prime member, and believe Amazon is a pretty damn good company. There's absolutely no benefit for them to try and pass off used products as new, no benefit at all. They're a marketplace: they stock items, fulfill orders, and ship them. What happens to the item prior to getting to their warehouse is out of their control.

I would assume, based on Warehouse Deals listings, that a majority of returned Passports are resold there. I'm sure ones that truly have issues are returned to BlackBerry. The fact that used Passports sold as new are happening through multiple sales channels (Amazon, Fulfilled by Amazon, 3rd Party vendors, and ShopBlackBerry) pretty much seals the deal in my mind that this is an issue stemming from BlackBerry.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    07-20-15 04:09 AM
    I purchased a used-like new passport from warehouse deals back in December and the device was flawless..they dropped close to $90off the price simply bc the box had minor scuffs

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 10:13 AM
    I purchased a used-like new passport from warehouse deals back in December and the device was flawless..they dropped close to $90off the price simply bc the box had minor scuffs

Posted via CB10
    That's great, but I hope you know you have zero warranty protection with that device. BlackBerry hardware warranties follow the original purchaser only, not the device itself.

After my fiasco with previous Passports, I refuse to buy a used one, even if it's an amazing Amazon Warehouse deal.

Posted via CB10 // Passport SQW100-1 // 10.3.2.2339 // Cricket Wireless
    07-20-15 10:40 AM
    OK, I'm now convinced it's BlackBerry, not Amazon, that's the culprit. It would seem to be an impossible problem to solve, unless Amazon could be made aware of it at some high and take possession of it. Small chance of that happening. I may do some investigation, just out of interest, but I don't expect anything to result from it.
    07-20-15 01:00 PM
    If it is BB (thanks John Chen, you cheapskate) that's the problem, then I'd imagine the White and Red Passport models to be the safest.

I have a Digital River Black Passport on the way. Hopefully it works out. I'm not holding my breath.
    07-20-15 05:16 PM
    Just an update:

Received my new, black Passport from ShopBlackBerry today. The phone is in perfect condition. The box was clean and with only one sticker on each side.

The phone doesn't have the loose buttons like the Amazon copies did. Everything is tight and the build looks as it should.

I am convinced this is an Amazon issue, wherein Amazon is just selling returned phones (as all the Amazon phones I tried had loose volume keys, and were half the time obviously used).

I am extremely pleased that I didn't try buying with Amazon again. I finally got what appears to be a good, new copy.

Edit: I may have spoken too soon. The volume keys are so loose that the down key is nearly impossible to actuate. Ugh...No more returns, I'm going to try my luck with an RMA
    Last edited by deadcowboy; 07-22-15 at 06:41 PM.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    07-22-15 02:40 PM
    Zero Warranty? So I guess me sending the phone back to blackberry for an antenna issue and them replacing the device in a very timely manner doesn't count

Posted via CB10
    07-24-15 11:11 AM
    Zero Warranty? So I guess me sending the phone back to blackberry for an antenna issue and them replacing the device in a very timely manner doesn't count

Posted via CB10
    You bought a USED phone through Amazon Warehouse deals and BlackBerry warrantied the device for you?

If that's true, the BlackBerry agent was feeling very good that day and hooked you up bigtime, because that's going against everything in their warranty documents.
    07-24-15 11:19 AM
    Correct..used-like new from amazon warehouse and not one mention of the condition was brought up even after I send them my invoice which clearly stated used-like new

Posted via CB10
    07-24-15 11:59 AM
    Well BB wouldn't service the phone. Not defective enough. Guy said to just return it. I'm ordering a Blue Classic instead. Too much headache.
    07-25-15 11:41 PM
    It is very illegal to sell a product as new again after it was sold new the first time. Doesnt even matter if product went back to manufacture and refurbed or repackaged. End of story and period. Shop at B&H Photo and live better.
    07-25-15 11:49 PM
    How does Amazon's return policy work? I'm thinking of buying a Classic, using Amazon Prime to use two day shipping, try out the Classic, if I like it keep, if not then return it.

Does Amazon provide full refund even if I used it and removed stickers, etc?

Do they pay for return shipping?

Is there any fee for returning or providing me a full refund. For example, restocking fee.

Thank you.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-15 10:09 PM
    How does Amazon's return policy work? I'm thinking of buying a Classic, using Amazon Prime to use two day shipping, try out the Classic, if I like it keep, if not then return it.

Does Amazon provide full refund even if I used it and removed stickers, etc?

Do they pay for return shipping?

Is there any fee for returning or providing me a full refund. For example, restocking fee.

Thank you.

Posted via CB10
    Great, another Amazon shopper just "test driving" an item.

Amazon will refund you minus a restocking fee, and they will not pay for return shipping if you simply decide you no longer want the item.

If the item is damaged or defective, they will obviously provide a full refund and give you a prepaid label. Don't be a ****** and make up some fake "defect" should you not want the item, just so you don't have to pay return shipping.
    Optimus4 likes this.
    08-02-15 10:47 PM
    Great, another Amazon shopper just "test driving" an item.

Amazon will refund you minus a restocking fee, and they will not pay for return shipping if you simply decide you no longer want the item.

If the item is damaged or defective, they will obviously provide a full refund and give you a prepaid label. Don't be a ****** and make up some fake "defect" should you not want the item, just so you don't have to pay return shipping.
    Hmm seems judgmental. Weird how you somehow believe your better than others.

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    08-02-15 11:13 PM
    Hmm seems judgmental. Weird how you somehow believe your better than others.

Posted via CB10
    He doesn't think he is better, he is pissed because if you read the thread every time someone orders a phone from Amazon they get a used one. Likely because people are "test driving" phones. Almost can't blame Amazon.

Posted with Z30
    08-03-15 10:45 PM
    Well BB wouldn't service the phone. Not defective enough. Guy said to just return it. I'm ordering a Blue Classic instead. Too much headache.
    I see you already returned the Passport but was gonna say my Z30 had the same problem at the start buy the keys firmed up after a few days. Not sure why dirt?? Or wore in?? Now they are great.

BTW let me know how the blue classic is. I am sitting on the fence unable to decide on which PKB BlackBerry I want. It is killing me.

Posted with Z30
    08-03-15 10:49 PM
    I actually understand if someone wants to test drive a phone--especially a Passport. The form factor is unique, and good luck finding one in a store to see if it feels right. I think this is why ShopBB has pushed the 30-day return policy.

Posted via  Q10
    08-04-15 08:36 AM
51 123