One or two defective devices seems completely rare but possible. 5 would be highly unlikely. I've kept on topic....that the probability of having 5 or 6 defective devices is almost next to none IMO.

The screen lifting event I can see, ish happens, now we have one person making their entire decision on a passport based on your "incredible string of bad luck". As a "veteran " i have seen way too much negativity in these threads especially a year or so . I feel bad if you are really going through 5 devices, but threads like this turn into Haven for for the haters. Yes, it's only a phone and people need to chill, but I'm a supporter of the underdog and with BlackBerry 's small bit of success with the Passport in come the folks that never post and start spreading ish!

Even if you happened to peel through a stock of defective devices via shop BlackBerry where are the others that would have received some of that stock?

I'm the owner of one perfect Passport, I've owned one perfect z30, one perfect z10, one perfect Bold, one perfect torch...the list goes on!

"Official International Accountant of the Peevishlicious Crew " via my Canadian Passport!!
    I've gone through three defective devices. One from shopbb, one from the BlackBerry rma department (the worst of the three), and one from Amazon. My fourth phone is a keeper, and it was a part of the most recent batch of Passports that haven't gone out of stock on Amazon. There was a serious issue in the assembly of a lot of first-batch devices, I think.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 08:25 AM
    Not sure why you think the passport is so hard to get, Telus stores throughout Edmonton AB all have inventory
    I wasn't referring to Telus..and at this immediate time. My device was purchased at Telus on release day. Sold out in 24 hours and they now have stock again..30 days later. I was referring to my American friends resorting to on-line sources since launch day.

"Official International Accountant of the Peevishlicious Crew " via my Canadian Passport!!
    11-13-14 09:47 AM
    I wasn't referring to Telus..and at this immediate time. My device was purchased at Telus on release day. Sold out in 24 hours and they now have stock again..30 days later. I was referring to my American friends resorting to on-line sources since launch day.

Three out of the six devices came from Telus in my case. In fact, Passport was extremely easy to get in Canada. Telus had tons in stock. Their mobility online shop was shipping them 2 business days. Unlock and you've got yourself a Passport you can use anywhere. The only shortage was of the $599 USD units since they were not available from anyone but Shop BlackBerry and Amazon.com.

I'm glad that we've got your position clarified though. You sound a lot more civil than earlier. Fact is my experience was what it was. There is also strong evidence that some phones, could be from the same assembly line maybe, who knows, exhibited same issues. Some are yet to develop them. Also, relative to the small number of these devices that have been made the serious defect rate based on my observation is higher than it should be for randomly sampled phones, but I'm willing to say that my experience of 50% serious failure rate is probably unique and statistically improbable.

As for people making decisions based on my posts, we all have our reasons. Some individuals are risk averse, some appreciate their money to much to be beta testers, etc. Frankly, if there were issues that needed to be ironed out, they should have been resolved prior to the device making it into the hands of end users.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    11-13-14 10:10 AM
    Quick update on the status of getting this issue resolved...so far things are moving better than usual. BlackBerry acknowledged the video and directed me to Shop BlackBerry to get a replacement. While Shop BlackBerry stood by their policy of no replacements, because I had a logged ticket from BlackBerry where a support rep has indicated that they should issue a replacement, they are now investigating what they can offer.

They did also indicate that they could do another credit if I return the faulty device and re-buy another device, however that is a lot of hassle so I'm leaving it as the last resort. An advance RMA would be ideal.

Definitely more promising than the exchange around the screen that separated from the frame.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 10:32 PM
    Quick update on the status of getting this issue resolved...so far things are moving better than usual. BlackBerry acknowledged the video and directed me to Shop BlackBerry to get a replacement. While Shop BlackBerry stood by their policy of no replacements, because I had a logged ticket from BlackBerry where a support rep has indicated that they should issue a replacement, they are now investigating what they can offer.

They did also indicate that they could do another credit if I return the faulty device and re-buy another device, however that is a lot of hassle so I'm leaving it as the last resort. An advance RMA would be ideal.

Definitely more promising than the exchange around the screen that separated from the frame.

Posted via CB10
    That's good news. So apparently the support you've been getting also depends on a case to case basis and from what distribution channel you got your device.

Just curious, any feedback (adverse or otherwise) from the customer whom you sold the BlackBerry Passport with moderate light bleed on the keyboard?

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 11:12 PM
    That's good news. So apparently the support you've been getting also depends on a case to case basis and from what distribution channel you got your device.

Just curious, any feedback (adverse or otherwise) from the customer whom you sold the BlackBerry Passport with moderate light bleed on the keyboard?

Posted via CB10
    Nope, but I wouldn't expect any anyway. It's Craigslist and buyer beware always applies. I went over the device in detail with him at the time of the sale so he knew what he's getting.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 11:42 PM
    While not as bad as having six defective Passports in a row, my friend BBM'd me today to say his boss had went through four defective Passports back to back. All returned due to faulty keyboards (unresponsive keys I think) and I think all purchased from Telus. I'm not sure if his boss ended up getting a good one or if they decided to give up on the Passport or not for now.

As my friend was looking at upgrading from his Curve to a Passport, this sort of turned him off. Yes, the odds may be low but it is normal with any new device that their could be issues. Still, even though I owned a Passport for 2 weeks which had zero issues, I know from experience it is always better to wait a few months before jumping on the bandwagon with anything. I went through three bad Z30's back to back (also from Telus) last November so I decided to stick with my Z10 and picked up a Z30 again in May (from ShopBB) which has been flawless. I also went through two bad Nexus 4's, three Nexus 5's, and four Nexus 7's (gave up on the N7 because of touchscreen issues) which just proves the point that this type of thing happens everywhere. More to the point is how a company handles issues in that: 1) do they reduce chance of issues by improving manufacturing; and 2) make it easy for the customer to if issues arise. I think BB does do #1 as things seem to get better over time, but #2 seems still to need some work.

At the end of the day, in this case I just told my friend it is all the more reason to wait for December and get a white or red Passport. It gives BB that much more time to work out any manufacturing issues and for 10.3.1 to come out officially as I think the Passport will be the better for it (if for no other reason as for customized keyboard shortcuts).
    11-14-14 01:02 PM
    While not as bad as having six defective Passports in a row, my friend BBM'd me today to say his boss had went through four defective Passports back to back. All returned due to faulty keyboards (unresponsive keys I think) and I think all purchased from Telus. I'm not sure if his boss ended up getting a good one or if they decided to give up on the Passport or not for now.

As my friend was looking at upgrading from his Curve to a Passport, this sort of turned him off. Yes, the odds may be low but it is normal with any new device that their could be issues. Still, even though I owned a Passport for 2 weeks which had zero issues, I know from experience it is always better to wait a few months before jumping on the bandwagon with anything. I went through three bad Z30's back to back (also from Telus) last November so I decided to stick with my Z10 and picked up a Z30 again in May (from ShopBB) which has been flawless. I also went through two bad Nexus 4's, three Nexus 5's, and four Nexus 7's (gave up on the N7 because of touchscreen issues) which just proves the point that this type of thing happens everywhere. More to the point is how a company handles issues in that: 1) do they reduce chance of issues by improving manufacturing; and 2) make it easy for the customer to if issues arise. I think BB does do #1 as things seem to get better over time, but #2 seems still to need some work.

At the end of the day, in this case I just told my friend it is all the more reason to wait for December and get a white or red Passport. It gives BB that much more time to work out any manufacturing issues and for 10.3.1 to come out officially as I think the Passport will be the better for it (if for no other reason as for customized keyboard shortcuts).
    That's interesting that this is such a widespread issue. Phones are very small, complicated, and fragile these days. I guess everyone is going to have manufacturing issues, not just BlackBerry.

That said, Apple has pretty amazing tolerances and quality control in my experience. I don't like their hardware or software ethos, but I'll be dammed if they don't make a good, well-built, headache-free product. And I'm using BB10 and Win8.1 at the moment.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 01:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    Not sure where you are located geographically but logic says: perhaps it's better to order direct via a wireless store so you can open the box and have a look that no defects are present before buying!?

Posted via Passport OS 10.3.0.908/Rogers Wireless
    11-14-14 01:42 PM
    Not sure where you are located geographically but logic says: perhaps it's better to order direct via a wireless store so you can open the box and have a look that no defects are present before buying!?

Posted via Passport OS 10.3.0.908/Rogers Wireless
    Yes and no, because there may be issues like stuck/dead pixels that require BBVE. For sure it would deal with my issues (on two separate devices) of a single loud key and chipped screen edge. But the best thing is to order from Amazon so that if these issues are discovered, they will do a cross-ship replacement, no hassles. Amazon also doesn't have the 15 day, less than 30 minutes airtime restrictions that many carriers do.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    11-14-14 02:43 PM
    Good to see you are making some progress at least dejanh!

As for the light bleed from the keyboard, I'm not sure you will ever get that 100% resolved. It seems to me to just be an unavoidable part of the touch enabled keyboard that there is at least some minimal, hardly noticeable, bleed. And the backlight being slightly uneven may be the same.

At least so far every Passport I have seen has this in some capacity, although none of them to the point where it became distracting.

Passport signed @ C0007CC89
    11-14-14 03:01 PM
    So I picked up the repaired/replaced Passport today from Telus after my first had the screen lifting issue.
    The repair report said that they had replaced the phone but the Telus employee said that that can also mean the replacement is a refurbished phone. I suspect that is the case because the phone they gave me had a screen protector that was very obviously hand cut.

So anyways, within the first 45 min of use, i noticed that the speakers were a lot less loud when checking my voicemail handsfree on the speakerphone. This really bothered me as I use the handsfree talking a lot and I really loved the volume on the first passport. After that I decided to run the blackberry virtual expert app and do the test. Once it got to the part where it test the LED light and it starts flashing, thats when i noticed the very obvious light shining through the top of the glass right above the LED light. I guess this is what some past people on this chat called "bleeding". For me it was very obvious and really annoying. At that point I new this was just a refurbished phone. Luckily Telus had told me that if i have another problem with the phone within 90 days of the repair, that they would then just give me a new phone. So I went back and showed them the 2 issues and they gave me a new sealed Passport.

So far this one seems fine except their is a slight bleed of light that shines through the space about the LED light. Not anywhere as bad as the phone before this but its there. Still annoying but if this is the only problem then I can live with it.

For the record I love the Passport. Best phone out there Bar none. I just pray that it gives me a good year or more of service without any issues.
    11-14-14 06:50 PM
    Only difference is that Apple has orders of magnitude more devices in circulation. I do agree that my experience is probably a statistical outlier.

Posted via CB10
    Well, this makes sense since there are very few on here with defective Passports.

'BB POWERED' C001C1D66
    11-15-14 08:09 PM
    Nope, but I wouldn't expect any anyway. It's Craigslist and buyer beware always applies. I went over the device in detail with him at the time of the sale so he knew what he's getting.

Posted via CB10
    It's my understanding that the BlackBerry warranty applies to original owners only, so definitely buyer beware on Craigslist!

Having said that, I have purchased a 9800 and a Z30 (current daily driver) on Craigslist, but only after the prices dropped significantly.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 01:58 PM
    Wow!! Am I one lucky person. Have owned 8830, 9000', 9900, Z10 and now PP. All perfectly flawless on the first device and all but my PP from Telus. I i have even dropped my new PP from almost 5 feet on pavement and only a small scratch. The thing is solid and even no issues since the drop. I feel for those that get defective units and am grateful that I am one of the many and majority that hasn't had to deal with a defective unit. No doubt it must be frustrating.

It took me a whole month almost to get my PP from ShopBB. I couldn't imagine the hassles I would have had if I needed to return it. Thankfully I received a flawless unit.

Posted CB10->BB Passport
    11-16-14 04:09 PM
    I got 2 Passports from Shop Blackberry. First had a green haze pixel patch. 2nd one had what seemed to be not enough brightness compared to the first one. 3rd one is perfect so I kept it. Did 2 Advanced RMA's. It was rough.

Need some better quality parts or quality control or something!
    11-16-14 07:09 PM
    I got 2 Passports from Shop Blackberry. First had a green haze pixel patch. 2nd one had what seemed to be not enough brightness compared to the first one. 3rd one is perfect so I kept it. Did 2 Advanced RMA's. It was rough.

Need some better quality parts or quality control or something!
    Good to hear you got it resolved. Are there any tips you can share with us to get more effective RMA service from ShopBB?

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    11-16-14 07:32 PM
    Good to hear you got it resolved. Are there any tips you can share with us to get more effective RMA service from ShopBB?

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    Yes, please. I'm again in a loop now, with no response from anyone for 3 days.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 11:08 PM
    Quick update, BlackBerry finally issued me an Advance Exchange. I haven't received any notification of shipment or anything yet. Apparently, I'm getting only the handset, nothing else. Kind of weird for a brand new product, but we'll see. I'll post more detail about my experience once the replacement arrives and I validate it's working as expected.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 09:06 AM
    I received my Advance Exchange. I actually got it two days after the RMA was issued, so the turnaround was really good. The device that I received appeared to be new, however it was device only, no box or accessories. The obvious downside is that once I go to resell, the IMEI of the device won't match the IMEI of the box so then I'll have to explain why that is.

The new device has two bright pixels that are not that visible after the device boots, but are always showing during boot. The rest of the device seems fine, screen isn't breathing, and there aren't as many gaps between the screen and the frame as some of the other Passports I've owned.

Overall, I decided to keep this device and return the defective one to BlackBerry. The whole experience was not bad, and a stark contrast to what I experienced with the device with the split screen where I got no service at all.

An interesting note, the RMA department was identifying as Shop BlackBerry RMA. It is possible that BlackBerry finally decided to put in some changes on the support end due to the direct sales. One can hope.

For now I'm good with this device and I'll see if I will sell it after my red Passport arrives sometime this or next week.

My suggestion for those that need an RMA, initiate the contact to start by email and provide picture and video evidence. Seems to help matters. First contact by phone does not seem to work well.

Posted via CB10
    deltact, Hlao-roo and MrGlenn like this.
    11-30-14 10:37 AM
    I am glad to see you got it resolved, hope this Passport works out better for you. And if you are right about SBB stepping up their game that can only be a good thing.

I'll guess we will see over the next month if more issues show up.

BlackBerry Passport signed @ C0007CC89
    11-30-14 01:34 PM
    Two of my keys space and B have a double tactile feedback to it. Anyone else have that same issue ? Manuf date was 301014
    12-01-14 08:46 AM
    Two of my keys space and B have a double tactile feedback to it. Anyone else have that same issue ? Manuf date was 301014
    I'm not sure what you mean. Could you clarify?

Posted via CB10
    12-01-14 09:20 AM
    When I type and press the B key or space key I feels it clicking twice (feedback) although there is only one "B" or "space" entered on screen. Not sure if that makes sense ?
    12-01-14 10:00 AM
    I think everyone was a bit upset with you about this is because you did nothing to try and help yourself with your OP.

You titled the thread 'another defective passport' - then went right into saying it was your 6th or 7th. Then a few lines later, you say that it is either 5/7 that have been received 'defective in one way or another'.

Yet later on in the many many posts there are, you claim not all were 'defective'. Bit of a contradiction frankly. You didn't clarify what you consider to be a 'defect' either until the thread was well under way also. And it should be said, your idea of a defect, especially in the light bleed issue is just expected tolerance levels of any device, so they aren't really defective at all.

A revision to your OP or just a bit more info instead of a post that sounds like a rant would probably have saved you all the negative posts I would imagine. It is easy to see why people were against you.
    12-01-14 11:02 AM
131 ... 3456