So I was at a local Memory Express store in Richmond, BC buying some computer has when I decided to check out their official Samsung store and try out the Note 3 and the Galaxy S5. I started playing with the devices and noticed that every screen I moved to on any of the phones, whether it be S5, S4, Note 3, etc. all had a not-so-faint image of the home screen burnt into the display. Literally, every single device using an AMOLED or an S-AMOLED screen was suffering from screen burn-in. I called one of their reps to show him the issue and when he saw it he was floored. Every single one of their floor devices had the exact same problem. Major screen burn-in. The Galaxy S5 was by far the worst.

Anyway, the point of this post is not to bash on Samsung devices. It's to point out the benefit of opting to use an IPS LCD for a high end device like the Passport instead of an OLED screen. Despite many advances in OLED technology it is blatantly obvious that it still suffers from some serious drawbacks. Personally, I haven't seen screen burn-in in over 16 years, until today, when I saw more of it than ever before.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    nick13b and anon5645485 like this.
    07-19-14 06:58 PM
    On their defense, they aren't really made to stay on for 10 straight hours or so mainly on the same screen.
    anon5645485 likes this.
    07-19-14 07:03 PM
    Screen burn in only occurs when you leave the screen on the same or similar screen for many, many hours. So change your background once in a while. Lock your phone. Done. There should not be issues like that for most people.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-14 07:50 PM
    Good thing none of the few BlackBerry demo devices was ever turned on and out on display for long enough for this to happen.

just kidding...

On a more serious note, I've worried that some of the more static/persistent elements of the BB10 UI would cause this issue (like the keyboard frets, or the bottom back/menu bar). So far, I haven't noticed anything on the Z30...

Posted via CB10
    FrankIAm and xBURK like this.
    07-19-14 08:05 PM
    Had a friend who's Galaxy s3 burned the keyboard layout on the screen becaus he was texting a lot

Posted via CB10
    07-19-14 08:13 PM
    On their defense, they aren't really made to stay on for 10 straight hours or so mainly on the same screen.
    Absolutely agree. Had you seen this though you would have shared a similar shocked reaction, just as I did. Fact is that in-store demos are important and if I was asked to drop $700 on a new Galaxy S5 and I saw what I saw...well...let's just say I'd be $700 richer.

On a more practical note I do sometimes leave my screen on for hours on the same static image, say if I'm streaming music while on a long drive. I even did it on my Z30. I guess I was just lucky I didn't push things too far. Almost all other devices I had were/are LCD so they would not have had this problem.

07-20-14 12:47 AM
    To cause the burn in, it has to be continued. If you use the device normally, that won't happen.
    So, the virtual keyboard won't be an issue, nor common interface elements.
    FrankIAm likes this.
    07-20-14 11:24 AM
    This is why many stores have their devices set up in demo mode, or the screen will shut off at a fix time.

Because that store had their phones on constantly for 8-10 hrs a day, 7 days a week, it's not remotely close to being an accurate representation of everyday use leading to screen burn.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-14 02:45 PM
    erm dunno if you realize but you can play music with the device locked....that's a thing I LOVE about BB...if you're playing Youtube on a Samsung and you lock the phone = music goes dead...on BB you can lock it and still listen to the track....that ofc sucks for someone who'd like to have the option to stop the music by locking the phone as it's on Samsung but I thnk the BB way is better for most.

So you streaming music for hourz on your Z30 ? wtf man do you even own a Z30 ?
    07-20-14 07:03 PM
    erm dunno if you realize but you can play music with the device locked....that's a thing I LOVE about BB...if you're playing Youtube on a Samsung and you lock the phone = music goes dead...on BB you can lock it and still listen to the track....that ofc sucks for someone who'd like to have the option to stop the music by locking the phone as it's on Samsung but I thnk the BB way is better for most.

So you streaming music for hourz on your Z30 ? wtf man do you even own a Z30 ?
    You absolutely can still stream/play music even with the screen off. Not sure what in this thread implied that was not possible. This is also possible on Android and iOS. With that said though, if you really want to know why I keep my screen on, is because it saves me a swipe or a click, and in my case a whole password I'd have to enter every time I want to skip a song or advance a preloaded stream.

On a side note, do you know how to use "WTF" in a sentence?

07-20-14 08:39 PM
    Z30 burn-in, eh? Damn those 10.3 pin watermarks!
    07-21-14 12:58 AM
    U saw it because they're there for the showing, their displays have to be always turned on, that's why it's so obvious. But anyway, I personally hate AMOLED not only the color issue the pentile the burn but also samsung pushed it out when it wasn't a mature technology and it's still not.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    07-21-14 03:41 AM