I'm a very long time user of Android phones having used HTC Desire, Note 2, etc. My current phone is a Sony Xperia Z Ultra a mammoth 6.5" screen with a really good Sony interpretation of Android implemented. But am looking to upgrade and had my heart set on a Nexus 6 until I saw the BBP. The screen on the Sony is lovely and big BUT tbh I didn't actually use it all that much for video and a good UI is far more important to me.

What a quirky phone the BBP is, but then again I like quirky and different. Having generally got a positive vibe from reading many reviews this phone has further peaked my interest. So I have decided to try one out and see how I get on with it. The clincher was the possibility of being able to use apps that I rely on from the Android playstore that may not be available on the BB platform.

I would be interested in hearing from others (in particular ex-android users out there) as to their experiences on this phone or any pointers to a first time BB user.

Many thanks
    06-01-15 09:52 AM
    You should like it! I mean it does have the amazon app store but you can also side load snap or 1mobile to get even more apps. Most apps do work, some I know don't like snapchat if your into that kind of thing. Overall I'm happy with it. I have a classic too and both are superb.

Posted via CB10
    GusGF, thymaster and Mr4aces like this.
    06-01-15 09:55 AM
    Before my passport I was using a Sony Z2, I do love my passport and have no regrets, but you will need to be patient and give you time to embrace the change of OS, BB 10 it's amazing!
    GusGF, thymaster and tfitzpat03 like this.
    06-01-15 10:37 AM
    Before my passport I was using a Sony Z2, I do love my passport and have no regrets, but you will need to be patient and give you time to embrace the change of OS, BB 10 it's amazing!
    Think I'm looking forward to the change tbh. Incidentally are you using any sideloaded android apps and if so do you notice any lag in performance?
    06-01-15 10:43 AM
    Think I'm looking forward to the change tbh. Incidentally are you using any sideloaded android apps and if so do you notice any lag in performance?
    If you install Google Play then you don't need to sideload. Not all Android apps work but most works fine. I have not notice any lag withe Android apps. They run pretty good. I stay away from Amazon AppStore. Not as good as Google Play.
    GusGF and Mr4aces like this.
    06-01-15 10:56 AM
    I installed Google Play Store and yes I use several android apps (Banking apps, Netflix, Spotify, Google Maps, etc) most apps will work and other will not. I only noticed lag on the Spotify app, all the other are working great.
    GusGF likes this.
    06-01-15 10:56 AM
    Came from a S3 and I really like this phone. Camera has gotten much better. The OS is fluid and fun to use, when I use a friend's phone I find myself swiping up a lot.

I just got back from Florida and drove from Ohio, downloaded mapquest for navigation and worked great. Bluetooth integration with my car works really well. The only thing I miss from Android is the Google asst....the BlackBerry one does not come close.

Overall I like the phone and think you will too.

Posted via CB10
    thymaster and GusGF like this.
    06-01-15 11:39 AM
    I'm a very long time user of Android phones having used HTC Desire, Note 2, etc. My current phone is a Sony Xperia Z Ultra a mammoth 6.5" screen with a really good Sony interpretation of Android implemented. But am looking to upgrade and had my heart set on a Nexus 6 until I saw the BBP. The screen on the Sony is lovely and big BUT tbh I didn't actually use it all that much for video and a good UI is far more important to me.

What a quirky phone the BBP is, but then again I like quirky and different. Having generally got a positive vibe from reading many reviews this phone has further peaked my interest. So I have decided to try one out and see how I get on with it. The clincher was the possibility of being able to use apps that I rely on from the Android playstore that may not be available on the BB platform.

I would be interested in hearing from others (in particular ex-android users out there) as to their experiences on this phone or any pointers to a first time BB user.

Many thanks
    What are your needs? apps? I find everything I want with the in-stock apps on blackberry. When you want to go into a specific app, then I encourage you to research and see if BB10 has it or if it can be sideloaded. Overall, and I have stated this a few times, BB10 was well thought and powerfull. I love Operating Systems and as an avid Linux user, I wouldn't switch from BB10 to Android (own an Android tablet). You just can feel the reliability, power of BB10. I cant say the same for Android. Also, BB devices last. I have not had one break on me. Not a single one.
    thymaster likes this.
    06-01-15 11:45 AM
    Unless you are desperately attached to how google works you will be happy to move to something that gets things done much more quickly. Composing a text message alone is a hassle through android vs. BlackBerry. The hub is the definitive feature.

Amazon appstore has many apps which almost all work since they do not rely on google play services. There is also the google play store which you can install thanks to one of our members here on crackberry (Cobalt I believe). From there you can install almost all android apps but those who rely heavily on google play services will not function or be somewhat crippled. There is also the google dependencies remover tool, which you can read about if you do a search here, such as the Lucky Patcher which can remove the google dependencies and allow android apps which did not work to work properly.

It takes about a week to really get used to the passport's size. Don't give up after one day!
    06-01-15 11:49 AM

Many thanks
    Former ZU owner here. That was a beast of a phone, straight up tablet. I was heavy in the android modding, hacking, and development game. Been there, done that.

If you are all about media consumption and apps, stay with Android. Many Google related services now work on BB thanks to some awesome devs, but some still don't. There was a pretty big breakthrough 2 days ago: Google+ and Hangouts now work on BB. It should only get better from here.

For communicating and getting **** done, you will find BB to be superior (IMO) and more efficient, with substantially better battery life.

If you have any specific Android vs BB questions, ask away. I'll just say this: I was heavily sucking on Google's titty and left it for BB in January. Im still enamored by the Passport and have no intention of switching devices anytime soon (not common for me). That says something.
    thymaster, GusGF and Just Me like this.
    06-01-15 11:56 AM
    I applaud you GusGF. For having the courage to try something new and different. It really doesn't matter to me if you love or dislike Blackberry as a platform. What I respect is your adventurous spirit to go outside your comfort zone.

I myself have used (and still do) android devices. Honestly, I have no real complaints. Ever since the Z10 and Q10 came out. I was a bit curious of where Blackberry was headed. It wasn't until the Classic and now Passport, that I've decided to return back to the fold. What works for me is a marriage of devices that best suit my needs. A tablet running Android and Classic or Passport for my communications.

Enjoy your new device and welcome to the madness which is Crackberry

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by schlemer; 06-01-15 at 09:38 PM.
    GusGF and vanrickman like this.
    06-01-15 12:13 PM
    My advice is more general than specific advice. Embrace a BlackBerry device for what it is: a BlackBerry device. If you try to replicate your same experience across different mobile operating systems, you may set yourself up for disappointment.

Look at the advantages that BlackBerry 10 has over other mobile platforms. Do those advantages line up with your workflow? If so, get the most out of the BlackBerry way of doing it. If you rely heavily on Google services, you may want to consider an Android tablet as a companion device.

I don't think that trying to use a BlackBerry as an Android device will lead to anything but frustration. When I used the Z10 a while ago, I resisted loading any Android apps onto it for a long time so that I could use the Z10 in the way that BlackBerry intended for it to be used. When I finally loaded Android apps, I only loaded three and one actually worked.

Today it is different, but I would still try to use a BlackBerry without Android apps at least initially to actually get the BlackBerry experience if I wanted to switch platforms.
    GusGF, Mr4aces and starboyforeal like this.
    06-01-15 01:40 PM
    Don't expect heavy reliance on Google apps. ( Google not android specifically) Alternatives are there on BBW and built into the OS.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2582
    GusGF, Mr4aces and starboyforeal like this.
    06-01-15 02:03 PM
    I tried loading Google Play and had a noticeable decrease in battery life. I live with android apps through Snap with no impact to my battery. I don't need any app that relies up Goggle services so I do fine without the Play store etc. I too applaud you for trying the Passport. I think you will love it. Good luck and don't be afraid to reach out to the community here to resolve any issues or get questions answered.

Posted via CB10
    GusGF likes this.
    06-01-15 02:11 PM

Many thanks
    Just noticed that others have mentioned that you can install Google Play Store. Most apps will actually work fine out of the box, including some which might claim to require Google Play Services. If you absolutely require an app to work which depends on Google Play Services to run then you can install a patched version of Google Play Services and patch the App using Lucky Patcher or Google Maps Patcher to enable it the app to work and increase the compatibility even more. I haven't had the need to do that and I really don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. I'm just letting you know that it can be done if need be. I do have the Google Play Store installed however and it's use is basically seamless for me. You can also use Amazon Appstore which has free apps everyday and comes pre-loaded and none of the apps have any Google Services Requirements. Compatibility with Android Apps is actually extremely good overall. Last but certainly not least there's good old BlackBerry World. Where you can probably look first to see if an app is available there in a native form. If it's not native and simply an Android port using the Android Runtime then in many cases it might be better to use the Google Play Store version since it might be more up to date than the BlackBerry world version.

I think you would like the typing, keyboard gestures, cleanly laid out OS and the file management features very well if you're coming from Android. There are many nice touches built into the OS, like wireless file access from your computers allowing you to see your phone storage and SD card as drives on your PC's as well as seeing your PC's as storage devices on your phone are all nice touches that don't come by default on any Android phone I've come across. Native BlackBerry 10 (Cascades Apps) are really sleek and smooth compared to Android Apps in my opinion. Everything slides in and out very smoothly. That's a common trait in this OS. Battery life on the Passport is awesome. It charges pretty fast too even though BlackBerry doesn't make a lot of noise about that like certain other smartphone manufacturers. You'll also love the sharing features and the easy way in which it allows you to manage all of your accounts and emails from the central Hub. The browsing experience is also really nice on the Passport and it doubles as a nice Kindle reader as well. If you like retro gaming, there's native emulators as well as built in support for a number of popular bluetooth and USB gaming controllers like the Xbox360 and Logitech RumblePad2 Controllers as well as the Nintendo Wii Remote! I said out of the box support! Plug and Play or Pair and Play! I can go on and on... I'll stop by saying that the speakers are up there with the best! Just be careful with multiple accounts with contacts with the same name all synching to your phone at the same time. It can lead to a mess of duplicate contacts. You can choose which accounts you wish to sync contacts and calendars with your phone so you have to pay attention. By default the phone saves new contacts to all locations and accounts you allow to sync contacts too. You can choose which ones you each time you add a contact though. Enjoy it!

http://forums.crackberry.com/android...oading-985344/

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 02:12 PM
    Came from a S3 and I really like this phone. Camera has gotten much better. The OS is fluid and fun to use, when I use a friend's phone I find myself swiping up a lot.

I just got back from Florida and drove from Ohio, downloaded mapquest for navigation and worked great. Bluetooth integration with my car works really well. The only thing I miss from Android is the Google asst....the BlackBerry one does not come close.

Overall I like the phone and think you will too.

Posted via CB10
    That's good to know about the mapping. I just hope BB keeps going as from what I've seen so far there is a very loyal and educated following.
    06-01-15 04:49 PM
    What are your needs? apps? I find everything I want with the in-stock apps on blackberry. When you want to go into a specific app, then I encourage you to research and see if BB10 has it or if it can be sideloaded. Overall, and I have stated this a few times, BB10 was well thought and powerfull. I love Operating Systems and as an avid Linux user, I wouldn't switch from BB10 to Android (own an Android tablet). You just can feel the reliability, power of BB10. I cant say the same for Android. Also, BB devices last. I have not had one break on me. Not a single one.
    I was thinking of apps like:
    aCalendar+
    Kindle reading app
    Ankidroid
    anMoney
    Audible
    BBC iplayer
    Youversion Bible
    Business Calendar 3C
    Chess coaching app
    Chrome
    Costa coffee app
    Dictionary.com
    Drive
    Dropbox
    Ebay
    Eventbrite
    Everycircuit
    Facebook
    Flipboard
    Gmail
    Goggles
    Google sky map
    Hak5
    IMDB
    ISS Detector
    Meetup
    Monument Valley
    Nodebeat
    OfficeSuite
    OneDrive
    PlayerPro
    Podkicker Pro
    Reddit
    Shazam
    Spotify
    TED
    TuneIn Radio
    TWiT Pro
    Twitter
    VLC
    WeatherPro
    WeQ4U
    Whatsapp
    White Noise
    Wikipedia
    YouTube

Bet you're sorry you asked

I'm curious why as an avid LInux user you wouldn't switch?!

I don't expect to be able to port all of the above apps but I will probably get an android tablet for those that I can't.
    06-01-15 05:03 PM
    There is also the google dependencies remover tool, which you can read about if you do a search here, such as the Lucky Patcher which can remove the google dependencies and allow android apps which did not work to work properly.
    Hmm many thanks for the heads up on this, will certainly do my research. Oh and don't worry I won't give up
    06-01-15 05:08 PM
    Former ZU owner here. That was a beast of a phone, straight up tablet. I was heavy in the android modding, hacking, and development game. Been there, done that.

If you are all about media consumption and apps, stay with Android. Many Google related services now work on BB thanks to some awesome devs, but some still don't. There was a pretty big breakthrough 2 days ago: Google+ and Hangouts now work on BB. It should only get better from here.

For communicating and getting **** done, you will find BB to be superior (IMO) and more efficient, with substantially better battery life.

If you have any specific Android vs BB questions, ask away. I'll just say this: I was heavily sucking on Google's titty and left it for BB in January. Im still enamored by the Passport and have no intention of switching devices anytime soon (not common for me). That says something.
    Ha Ha, like your post and though I'm a fledgling programmer I was not into so deep with regards to Android though I've done much rooting and reflashing. I was thinking of how dependent I am on Google and whilst I was out jogging I was thinking I really should try and spread my dependency. But I also think that we are all becoming more reliant on a cloud services whether we like it or not and whether we have a choice of not if we want to keep up.

I do like my apps and media but I don't consider myself to be so tied that I can't make a go of BB and I'm excited about it. I used to use the very excellent Psion 5mx and Palm devices and in some respects current devices lack the functionality they had, I do miss them. I'm glad to hear you made the switch. I don't think any platform is any better, it's horses for courses and I just fancy something different.

Would be interested to know if you have managed to replace all your essential apps that you had on your previous mobile devices on the BB.
    06-01-15 05:18 PM
    Haha thank you.

So far the madness has been great and the community feeling I get from this board is amazing, the response has blown me away.
    oscar01mx likes this.
    06-01-15 05:26 PM
    My advice is more general than specific advice. Embrace a BlackBerry device for what it is: a BlackBerry device. If you try to replicate your same experience across different mobile operating systems, you may set yourself up for disappointment.

Look at the advantages that BlackBerry 10 has over other mobile platforms. Do those advantages line up with your workflow? If so, get the most out of the BlackBerry way of doing it. If you rely heavily on Google services, you may want to consider an Android tablet as a companion device.

I don't think that trying to use a BlackBerry as an Android device will lead to anything but frustration. When I used the Z10 a while ago, I resisted loading any Android apps onto it for a long time so that I could use the Z10 in the way that BlackBerry intended for it to be used. When I finally loaded Android apps, I only loaded three and one actually worked.

Today it is different, but I would still try to use a BlackBerry without Android apps at least initially to actually get the BlackBerry experience if I wanted to switch platforms.
    Yes I was thinking that myself. My main concern will be to get to know the device, get the best from it and then worry about bringing in some more Android apps. There will be a handful of apps I may try and port across initially but I will be concentrating on the BB experience first and foremost.
    Eustis99 likes this.
    06-01-15 05:30 PM
    Yes I'm beginning to find the Google experience is a bit of a resource hog not just on my devices but I suspect on my laptop too where it ties up so much memory.
    06-01-15 05:32 PM
    Yes I'm beginning to find the Google experience is a bit of a resource hog not just on my devices but I suspect on my laptop too where it ties up so much memory.
    So true...had to finally get rid of Chrome as my laptop browser and picked up an additional 2+ hours of battery life. Same is true on my Galaxy S6 which is a massive resource hog (it somehow manages to fill up all 3GB of memory which causes very annoying lag in the phone). To boot, the S6 has terrible battery life.
    06-01-15 05:49 PM
    Which Google apps do you use most? Gmail will be easily integrated with the hub

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2582
    06-01-15 06:08 PM
    I tried loading Google Play and had a noticeable decrease in battery life. I live with android apps through Snap with no impact to my battery. I don't need any app that relies up Goggle services so I do fine without the Play store etc. I too applaud you for trying the Passport. I think you will love it. Good luck and don't be afraid to reach out to the community here to resolve any issues or get questions answered.

Posted via CB10
    I have to agree, I loaded googleplay in and i didnt like the advertising so I nuked it. Snap is a VERY supported and worked on access point to google play. I will stick with that and the WD My cloud Audible dolphin and Sirius Radio are the only important ones. Actually could get WD through a Native cloud app that I forget its name.

Congrats for leaving the Spy agency at google and having recognizing your power UPGRADED.
    Gmail is one of my cloud email apps that I use for BS emails. I do use the Gmail cal. and have it integrated with office 365. Works great, I use that calendar for time sensitive business events in the attitude of " Hey! When you get time you need to do this soon and its casual alright. "
    Mr4aces likes this.
    06-01-15 06:21 PM
76 123 ...