Hey everyone,

I use currently a Q10 and loved the device. But lately I feel that sideloaded Android apps getting very slow, sometimes there's also a message, that the application seem to not work anymore. After another couple of seconds, it works again.

My question: is there a speed difference in the android runtime between Q10/Classic and the Passport? Or are sideloaded android apps also laggy and slow on a Passport?

Additional appeal: please no discussion about upcoming android devices, etc.; I will either stick with my Q10 if there is no significant speed difference regarding the android runtime, or i'll might give the passport a shot during the currently running sales-activities. Thx

Posted via CB10
    Avenzuno likes this.
    09-21-16 06:05 PM
    Don't have the Q10/Classic to compare, but yes, there's no doubt it's faster on the Passport due to better internal specs.

And there's no doubt that Android apps take longer to load on the Passport than a similarly spec'd Android device due to the runtime.

If you're sticking with BB10, I recommend the Passport, easily. The wider screen, larger keyboard, touch capacitive trackpad... Android apps also size much better due to double the resolution. And I like the virtual symbol row as opposed to the hard keys with ALT, SYM, etc.

At the sale price you can test drive it and return within 30 days if you're not satisfied. Just BE AWARE that the situation with Android compatibility is only going to deteriorate further as time goes on. Cobalt is no longer able to update the Google Play Store apparently, and that means that the clock is ticking on many popular apps that currently work. Caveat emptor!
    Avenzuno likes this.
    09-21-16 06:50 PM
    It's like night and day difference. Get the passport while you can. I am currently using Q10 as my daily driver, along with OG passport and priv interchangeably.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-16 07:38 PM
    Don't have the Q10/Classic to compare, but yes, there's no doubt it's faster on the Passport due to better internal specs.

And there's no doubt that Android apps take longer to load on the Passport than a similarly spec'd Android device due to the runtime.

If you're sticking with BB10, I recommend the Passport, easily. The wider screen, larger keyboard, touch capacitive trackpad... Android apps also size much better due to double the resolution. And I like the virtual symbol row as opposed to the hard keys with ALT, SYM, etc.

At the sale price you can test drive it and return within 30 days if you're not satisfied. Just BE AWARE that the situation with Android compatibility is only going to deteriorate further as time goes on. Cobalt is no longer able to update the Google Play Store apparently, and that means that the clock is ticking on many popular apps that currently work. Caveat emptor!
    Good to know. Thanks! I am actually trying to decide right now between hoarding a new easy-to-use Classic or the thoroughbred Passport. The latter can actually be had cheaper here in the States.

Posted via CB10 on my VZW  Z30 STA100-3 on at&t | 10.3.2.2813
    09-30-16 10:37 PM
    Good to know. Thanks! I am actually trying to decide right now between hoarding a new easy-to-use Classic or the thoroughbred Passport. The latter can actually be had cheaper here in the States.

Posted via CB10 on my VZW  Z30 STA100-3 on at&t | 10.3.2.2813
    Oh, the Passport for sure then. Android apps resize perfectly on the 1440 x 1440 display, and load faster due to faster CPU.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    10-01-16 06:46 AM
    Plus the Passport only uses two of it's four CPU units to process Android Apps, so there's another reason why Android Apps are slowed down.

I've just bought a PP, too and am excited about how Android Apps will perform in comparison to my Z10.

Well - the only Android App I really use on a daily basis and am dependent on is Spotify.
    10-01-16 10:21 AM
    Definitely Passport. Though, if you really need the Android runtime for a lot of apps, I recommend to go with a Priv or a DTEK.

Posted through my BlackBerry
    11-05-16 12:21 AM
    Passport is noticeably faster than Q10!
    11-06-16 08:23 AM

We all know that BlackBerry doesn't support BB10 anymore but it sucks to know how eventually even the Android runtime will stop working and therefore no more side loading Android apps and for me that is a deal breaker on making use of this current Passport sale
    11-06-16 08:48 AM