So I've done a completely informal poll by asking amongst my peers:

Would you buy a Blackberry if it ran full android?

The response was interesting... Out of 12 current android users, all of them would buy a Passport if it ran Android. The age group here is from 32 to 48.

I sort of think that a ful android on blackberry would be a fairly good idea. Hopefully it'd mean that Blackberry once again became available in Denmark.
    Certainly interesting! Do you also know how many of those are ex BlackBerry users?

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 07:30 AM
    I seem to recall a pkb device released by samsung about 2 years ago. Galaxy Chat if I'm not mistaken. Pretty decent. Almost bought it.

BlackBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2339 on Telkomsel Network
    What what the reason not to buy it eventually?

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 07:32 AM
    I seem to recall a pkb device released by samsung about 2 years ago. Galaxy Chat if I'm not mistaken. Pretty decent. Almost bought it.

The problem with android phones with physical keyboard from the last few years have always been pretty low end.

It's going to be nice when the slider comes out since it'll be rocking flag ship specs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    08-10-15 07:32 AM
    Certainly interesting! Do you also know how many of those are ex BlackBerry users?

Posted via CB10
    Yes. Zero. None have had Blackberry before
    08-10-15 08:29 AM
    Yes. Zero. None have had Blackberry before
    Oh wow! And what is the main reason to buy a BlackBerry? The keyboard?
    08-10-15 08:39 AM
    Yup. Well.... The hub and keyboard mainly.

But that also goes quite well with what I'd expect... An android OS skinned as BBOS with the hub.
    08-10-15 08:56 AM
    What what the reason not to buy it eventually?

Posted via CB10
    Bought an Oppo, instead. As said by a commenter above, the Galaxy Chat was very low end, I was interested to the keyboard, curious to try--I haven't thought about BlackBerry at the time--never before, even. So when I saw Oppo Find 5, I took that, instead.

I bought my first BlackBerry on March 2015, with a Passport. I've been hooked and amazed with the BB10 ever since.

Last edited by bhoqeem; 08-10-15 at 09:11 AM.
    08-10-15 08:56 AM
    Yup. Well.... The hub and keyboard mainly.

But that also goes quite well with what I'd expect... An android OS skinned as BBOS with the hub.
    Sounds like they did some research on BlackBerry then, unlike the average Joe who doesn't have any BlackBerry experience.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 09:08 AM
    The problem with android phones with physical keyboard from the last few years have always been pretty low end.

It's going to be nice when the slider comes out since it'll be rocking flag ship specs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    Of course, that's the freaking argument. For others to bring up some low end LG or Galaxy phone offered in 2 countries with 3 inch screens and from 2011/2012, and then to try and use that as reasoning for how viable physical keyboard Android phones exist is dumb.
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    08-10-15 09:53 AM
    I know several people (professionals) who have bought and returned the passport.
    They bought it because it was a beautiful phone, distinctive and loved the keyboard and the idea of Work Wide...so a perfect fit for them right?
    They returned it because it simply doesn't work out of the box with the apps they need and with connected devices they use.
    Yes probably some of them could be addressed by some workarounds (i.e. Snap) or digging for apps that replicate the name-brand apps, but they were either not interested in the hassle or didn't know about them.
    Workarounds are great temporary fixes but they're Not a permanent solution.
    I think there are a lot of people looking for an Android keyboard solution and they aren't BlackBerry customers because they can't use the phone the way they need to use it.
    BlackBerry, with Android and high end, professionally looking phones with additional security (that most don't seem to care about anyway) will be successful.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 11:46 AM
    If you want BlackBerry to stay in the hardware business, then you should cheer for a successful dual OS strategy (not a dual boot, which would just be a curiosity, IMO.)

If BlackBerry can pull it off, offering both Android and BB10 on the same hardware platforms would be a winner on several levels.

Of course, the devil is in the software engineering details. But if they can execute that strategy, the company will be able to stay in the hardware business for another 3-5 years at least while they transition to the new business model.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 04:08 PM
    If you want BlackBerry to stay in the hardware business, then you should cheer for a successful dual OS strategy (not a dual boot, which would just be a curiosity, IMO.)

If BlackBerry can pull it off, offering both Android and BB10 on the same hardware platforms would be a winner on several levels.

Of course, the devil is in the software engineering details. But if they can execute that strategy, the company will be able to stay in the hardware business for another 3-5 years at least while they transition to the new business model.

Posted via CB10
    Man, I already see threads on CB with names like 'How do people react on your two identical phones with a different OS'.

I do agree with what you're saying, but I've also read that if BlackBerry takes the Android road, they have to ditch the Android Runtime because they can't do both. Whether that is true or not is another discussion, but if it is BlackBerry 10 will be EOL when Android on BlackBerry is introduced. Let's not discuss that here tho, it's already being discussed a lot on CB, including personal attacks.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 04:25 PM
    Man, I already see threads on CB with names like 'How do people react on your two identical phones with a different OS'.

I do agree with what you're saying, but I've also read that if BlackBerry takes the Android road, they have to ditch the Android Runtime because they can't do both. Whether that is true or not is another discussion, but if it is BlackBerry 10 will be EOL when Android on BlackBerry is introduced. Let's not discuss that here tho, it's already being discussed a lot on CB, including personal attacks.

Posted via CB10
    Why not? It's not like they're pushing updates for the Android runtime; it's still stuck on Jellybean and doubt any changes have been made on the OG or SE Passports.
    08-10-15 11:57 PM
    Why not? It's not like they're pushing updates for the Android runtime; it's still stuck on Jellybean and doubt any changes have been made on the OG or SE Passports.
    Because of Google's OHA that doesn't allow both. You either run Android as core OS and get play services or a runtime, but not both. At least that's what I'm reading on CB.

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    08-11-15 12:02 AM
    Passport running on Android is not a bad idea... it is an evil plan...

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    08-11-15 12:20 AM
    Because of Google's OHA that doesn't allow both. You either run Android as core OS and get play services or a runtime, but not both. At least that's what I'm reading on CB.

Posted via CB10
    Ah, well then BBOS will likely die, at least on the consumer side of things, I would think. Too bad, but that's the reality.
    08-11-15 12:23 AM
    Ah, well then BBOS will likely die, at least on the consumer side of things, I would think. Too bad, but that's the reality.
    Yeah, even people who are 'not really app users' at least use banking apps. Of course you have the website but today's technology offers so much more via an app. I don't wanna have to enter my username and password to check my bank balance or arrange stuff. An app with a code and a interface designed for a mobile phone is much much user friendly. There are a lot of people who will disagree with this, but they're settling for less. You can be ok with that or just be in denial.

Edit: I will probably get burned for saying that, but I don't care =)

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 12:29 AM
    Disgusting.

Time to throw all my Blackberries to the bottom of Lake Ontario with the Avero Arrow.

Oh... and bury it with Canada's reputation as world wide peace keepers.

At least I still have my maple syrup.

Passport | Fido
    extisis likes this.
    08-11-15 12:41 AM
    Disgusting.

Time to throw all my Blackberries to the bottom of Lake Ontario with the Avero Arrow.

Oh... and bury it with Canada's reputation as world wide peace keepers.

At least I still have my maple syrup.

Passport | Fido
    Feels like a slap in the head, ya. I feel ya, brah.

Z10STL100-4/10.3.2.2339 on XL Network
    08-11-15 12:55 AM
    Reading it all these argument is mostly biased. I'm a blackberry addict since the days of the bold9000 and since my android galaxy note2 and my bold 9900 I started using my BlackBerry less... and now I have the passport and more hooked with my new android OS in the note4 instead of BlackBerry while using that just mostly for hiccups.

When I run out of juice from my galaxy I just wished if my BlackBerry runs waze app or any of the Google apps or chromecast when I needed it. Thinking of it just android on the passport with a customized BlackBerry launcher to have a special hub integrated and give a feel of BlackBerry with flawless capabilities of android natively will be an awesome way for BlackBerry to get back up and focus on to build apps and security in the android world. Microsoft and BlackBerry lost long ago and to get back up is how we saw ubuntu feisty fawn 7.03 hope for taking over the microsoft market and still rising our hope dreams every year then and now reaching version 15 after 8 years I think that's the scope of how long a heavy struggle can be but with BlackBerry it needs 10 years and predicting that made them take option 2 and hail rise for what's coming. I'm hoping to root this bch and install android os. Waiting for BlackBerry to be kind and to give the authorized files
    08-18-15 12:11 PM
    Just ordered a new Passport and can't wait for it to arrive to replace my aging z10. The z10 served it's purpose and will make a good back up.
    If Blackberry decides to stop pushing BB10 then I will make the switch to Windows 10 phone. Android is ok but not for me and I can't stand anything Apple.

Posted via Z10
    08-18-15 01:09 PM
    Dude, don't be naive. No one gives a **** about BB or BBOS outside of this forum and the governments that use it. Everyone thinks it sucks and is stuck in the past. They're wrong, but people have been bashing BlackBerry for years now, it's just second nature. No amount of money in marketing is going to change that.

By switching to Android, you're tapping a HUGE market, and positioning yourself as the only OEM providing an experience with physical keyboards. It will be a success, and tech journalists are all going to say, "OMG, BlackBerry is a diamond in the rough, look what we've been missing out on hardware-wise all along."
    I agree with the first part, but don't underestimate marketing. People used to feel the same way about Apple. Great products and marketing turned that around. And it was a few years of OS X before it started to really take off.

The issue though with BlackBerry 10 is that there are already more options. If you got tired of Windows, Mac OS X was the only other mainstream option. If you don't like android, there is iOS and vice versa.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 05:02 PM
122 ... 345