I saw someone shows a android pictures of blackberry passport silver. Is possible to install android software in blackberry passport? Is somebody successful? I really like passport design. This is most successful design from blackberry.

My favorite passport silver edit
    09-09-18 07:38 AM
    no its not possible
    09-09-18 09:04 AM
    Thanks. That's my dream.

09-09-18 10:39 AM
    It could me awesome BlackBerry could give to community developers total access to BlackBerry Passport bootloader in order to test full android on passport.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-18 04:25 PM
    It could me awesome BlackBerry could give to community developers total access to BlackBerry Passport bootloader in order to test full android on passport.

Posted via CB10
    That would never happen. Why should anyone think BB would do that? It would compromise everything related to BB10 at minimum....
    09-09-18 04:37 PM
    They could do that when they shut down bb10 ecosystem on 2020

Posted via CB10
    09-09-18 04:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    BB10 is based in other technology like QNX still being used. At some point, everyone needs to accept BB doesn’t care to see BB10 continue. It’s like when cancer goes into remission, BB wants to forget it ever happened.
    ppeters914 and pdr733 like this.
    09-09-18 04:49 PM

Posted via CB10
    You're right. They won't, but they could, with about the same chances of Chen dropping all of their current business lines to focus on artisan handcrafts.
    09-09-18 04:58 PM
    You're right. They won't, but they could, with about the same chances of Chen dropping all of their current business lines to focus on artisan handcrafts.
    Thanks, I almost lost my Portillo's dinner laughing so hard......
    09-09-18 05:00 PM
    You are right. Blackberry should do something!

09-09-18 05:03 PM
    You are right. Blackberry should do something!

Why? Explain what you’d say to BOD to justify this?
    glwerry likes this.
    09-09-18 05:05 PM

Posted via CB10
    The passports hardware (SOC) will be pretty ancient by 2020. What you really want is a new phone with the passports form factor that can run the latest android. Unfortunately the screen ratio is problematic. Also the original Passport wasn't very successful in the market so any company wanting to build such a device would be taking a substantial risk.
    BigAl_BB9900 and pdr733 like this.
    09-09-18 05:12 PM
    Sure. But..........

The_Passporter likes this.
    09-09-18 05:50 PM
    The passports hardware (SOC) will be pretty ancient by 2020. What you really want is a new phone with the passports form factor that can run the latest android. Unfortunately the screen ratio is problematic. Also the original Passport wasn't very successful in the market so any company wanting to build such a device would be taking a substantial risk.
    That was due to no marketing or advertising of the device. I get asked about my passport almost everyday. People are amazed By my passport. It's conversation piece

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    09-10-18 12:34 AM
    That was due to no marketing or advertising of the device. I get asked about my passport almost everyday. People are amazed By my passport. It's conversation piece

Posted via CB10
    Me too. When I use my blackberry passport on public site. Everyone was surprised. Because my passport is very special and they never saw it before. Somebody think it's a computer.

The_Passporter likes this.
    09-10-18 05:08 AM
    It’s people just demonstrating politeness or feeling pity. They’re just being nice and don’t want to hurt your feelings...
    Bbnivende and pdr733 like this.
    09-10-18 05:15 AM
    If anyone was "owed" something it was PlayBook owners that never got the "promised" BB10 update... and BlackBerry didn't unlock the PlayBook.

Granted it's be a different situation once BB10 is officially EOL... at that point I don't think there will be anyone (enterprise or government users) to object to BlackBerry releasing a boot loader unlocker. But who is going to build a Android ROM for old BB10 hardware at this point? Those videos of when BlackBerry tested Android on the Passport, don't look all that impressive.

Better to let the hardware fade to memory...
    BigAl_BB9900 and kbz1960 like this.
    09-10-18 07:18 AM
    [QUOTE=Dunt Dunt Dunt;13276273

Better to let the hardware fade to memory...[/QUOTE]

This is so sad. An original design and true innovation being left to decompose.
    In life we have so many varieties of everything be it food, cars, types of movies, houses but when it comes to phones it's just two OS's and one form factor.

To me this is the saddest part of it all my friend. The lacking of true innovation may be attributed to cost yest it is still a disappointing reality.
    09-10-18 07:29 AM
    It’s people just demonstrating politeness or feeling pity. They’re just being nice and don’t want to hurt your feelings...
    Yes. That true. I possibly get the Key3 or Key4. Think of taller and slimer version of my passport. At least everything I need works.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-18 07:49 AM

Posted via CB10

I don't get asked about my Passport every day, but certainly 2 or 3 times a month. People still ask if it's a brand new phone that's just been launched...

... unfortunately I have to tell them that it's nearly 4 years old and that very soon I'm going to replace it with a BlackBerry Key2 (which always gets blank looks too).

Occasionally some people recognise the Passport as it was apparently used by a character (ruthless billionaire) in a detective series (Sherlock I think, I haven't seen it myself).

I'd love Android on my Passport, as it's still the best mobile phone form factor and keyboard I have ever used (and I had Q10, 9900, 9700, 9000, 8820 etc beforehand).
    09-10-18 08:33 AM
    Granted it's be a different situation once BB10 is officially EOL... at that point I don't think there will be anyone (enterprise or government users) to object to BlackBerry releasing a boot loader unlocker.
    Yeah, but those keys could be used on their Android loaders as well.
    09-10-18 12:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    Me too. When I use my blackberry passport on public site. Everyone was surprised. Because my passport is very special and they never saw it before. Somebody think it's a computer.

How many people that were "amazed" or "surprised" over the years actually went out and BOUGHT one?

In any event, BlackBerry only wanted to sell enough units to burn through their parts commitment. Advertising beyond that wasn't going to happen, as the decision to turf BB10 was made in 2013.
    pdr733 likes this.
    09-10-18 01:37 PM
    How many people that were "amazed" or "surprised" over the years actually went out and BOUGHT one?

In any event, BlackBerry only wanted to sell enough units to burn through their parts commitment. Advertising beyond that wasn't going to happen, as the decision to turf BB10 was made in 2013.
    Amazement level between the Passport and KEYdevices... probable about the same.

The fact that you can run apps on the KEYdevices, should put it over the top.
    09-10-18 02:01 PM
    ^^^^^THIS!!!!!

There are multiple threads over the last two years about why the chances of this are slim and none.

It's fine to want what you want, but be realistic about your expectations.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3216
    the_boon likes this.
    09-10-18 02:24 PM
    Thanks, I almost lost my Portillo's dinner laughing so hard......
    Love Portillo's. My favorite meal is the dipped Italian beef with mozzerella cheese, with a slice of its famous chocolate cake for dessert!

Posted via CB10 | SQC100-4 Classic in Cobalt Blue
    09-10-18 02:41 PM
71 123