Good luck with your project. Risky project but it's a free choice of a free person. Ignore the pessimists.
    01-23-22 02:46 PM
    I'd guess that if the OP is done posting about this topic here in CB, then it's about posts that are the opposite of what the OP was expecting in terms of support from a community that was basically previously praying for anyone to try exactly what the OP was trying to do and in terms of for drumming up interest to see if such could be feasible.

Edit: Not sure if my post is required anymore, given other context that migjt now be gone. I hope the OP isn't done on this subject here in CB.
    Last edited by spARTacus; 01-23-22 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Added more context ref some other stuff that changed.
    01-23-22 06:36 PM
    I'd guess that if the OP is done posting about this topic here in CB, then it's about posts that are the opposite of what the OP was expecting in terms of support from a community that was basically previously praying for anyone to try exactly what the OP was trying to do and in terms of for drumming up interest to see if such could be feasible.

Edit: Not sure if my post is required anymore, given other context that migjt now be gone. I hope the OP isn't done on this subject here in CB.
    If the OP is willing to spend the necessary $100s of thousands of his own money on this endeavor, he couldn't afford not to post here.
    01-23-22 07:39 PM
    Good luck with your project. Risky project but it's a free choice of a free person. Ignore the pessimists.

Those pessimists you speak of are an absolute cancer on this forum. No idea why some of these people who have nothing but negativity to spout continue to come and post here. Nobody wants them here and nobody values their opinion yet they chime in on every single thread with the same tired ****.

It's like seriously, if you don't like this project and you don't think it's going to work, then that's fine. Just keep it to yourself and don't try to drag everyone else down.
    01-23-22 08:10 PM
    It's like seriously, if you don't like this project and you don't think it's going to work, then that's fine. Just keep it to yourself and don't try to drag everyone else down.
    Does someone who may have to mortgage his house to make a go of this only want to have sunshine blown up his behind?
    01-23-22 08:17 PM
    Does someone who may have to mortgage his house to make a go of this only want to have sunshine blown up his behind?
    I actually may have missed that post. Did the OP actually talk about mortgaging his house for this project? If so, then yeah, that's a monumentally stupid idea.
    01-23-22 08:31 PM
    I actually may have missed that post. Did the OP actually talk about mortgaging his house for this project? If so, then yeah, that's a monumentally stupid idea.
    I have no idea what he plans to do specifically, but it will cost him a giant pile of cash to get it rolling. 10,000 units at $500 each is a $5 million dollar business.
    01-23-22 08:36 PM
    I have no idea what he plans to do specifically, but it will cost him a giant pile of cash to get it rolling. 10,000 units at $500 each is a $5 million dollar business.
    So then he didn't actually say that and there you go again projecting.

You don't like his idea and that's fine.

There's some of us that think it's a neat idea. Leave us alone and let us brainstorm.
    01-23-22 08:39 PM
    So then he didn't actually say that and there you go again projecting.

You don't like this project and that's fine.

There's some of us that think it's a neat idea. Leave us alone and let us brainstorm.
    I have absolutely no issue with it at all. And I've been clear about that.

I just hope the OP realises that no one here ever actually pays up when push comes to shove, as history clearly demonstrates.
    eshropshire likes this.
    01-23-22 08:42 PM
    I have absolutely no issue with it at all. And I've been clear about that.

I just hope the OP realises that no one here ever actually pays up when push comes to shove, as history clearly demonstrates.
    Go. Away.

You said your piece and your input is no longer needed as you aren't on board.
    01-23-22 08:44 PM
    Go. Away.

You said your piece and your input is no longer needed as you aren't on board.
    Report if you think rules are being violated. Otherwise leave the modding to the mods.
    eshropshire likes this.
    01-23-22 08:47 PM
    Report if you think rules are being violated. Otherwise leave the modding to the mods.
    Don't be a weirdo. Nobody wants to snitch to mods. Just leave this thread be and let us try to brainstorm. Honestly dude we know you aren't on board with this project. Why do you need to keep posting here?
    androidonpassport likes this.
    01-23-22 08:50 PM
    Don't be a weirdo. Nobody wants to snitch to mods. Just leave this thread be and let us try to brainstorm. Honestly dude we know you aren't on board with this project. Why do you need to keep posting here?
    What are you brainstorming about?

The only question asked was which device should be considered. I answered the OG Passport because far more of them are around. You?
    01-23-22 08:51 PM
    What are you brainstorming about?

The only question asked was which device should be considered. I answered the OG Passport because far more of them are around. You?
    Dude you're making up weird scenarios about the guy mortgaging his house. I'm done with this silly back and forth. I'm not alone in wishing you would just back off and let things play out, whether it's destined for failure or not.
    01-23-22 08:56 PM
    Dude you're making up weird scenarios about the guy mortgaging his house. I'm done with this silly back and forth. I'm not alone in wishing you would just back off and let things play out, whether it's destined for failure or not.
    This is going to play out regardless of who is posting here. How much should one be willing to pay for such a device for admission to this thread? What if someone is only willing to pay $200 instead of the estimated $500? Can they play too?
    01-23-22 09:02 PM
    This is going to play out regardless of who is posting here. How much should one be willing to pay for such a device for admission to this thread? What if someone is only willing to pay $200 instead of the estimated $500? Can they play too?
    Android on Passport. (conversion)-close-door-office.gif
    01-23-22 09:07 PM
    ...I just hope the OP realises that no one here ever actually pays up when push comes to shove, as history clearly demonstrates.
    I think sometimes that will become a reality even if on its own it may not have, if there is enough vibes to contribute to a sense that it should go in that direction. Likewise, vibes of an otherwise nature could maybe sometimes help it to not have to go in the direction most think it will always end up heading. I assume the OP knows what decision points to monitor for what to invest and to go or no go. I assume the OP was maybe expecting more continued initial positive support from this CB community (as opposed to the opposite), given all the earlier calls from this community for a love of the Passport and a wish for an Android version. Positivity can have a contagious impact to help overcome obstacles that would otherwise be insurmountable. If 10,000 buyers of an upgraded Passport at $500 a pop is what it takes, maybe we should think that is cheap and that there will be 20,000 people interested, and maybe that would then help see if the interested base can increase up from 2000 slightly interested to maybe 5000 seriously interested.
    01-23-22 09:10 PM
    I think sometimes that will become a reality even if on its own it may not have, if there is enough vibes to contribute to a sense that it should go in that direction. Likewise, vibes of an otherwise nature could maybe sometimes help it to not have to go in the direction most think it will always end up heading. I assume the OP knows what decision points to monitor for what to invest and to go or no go. I assume the OP was maybe expecting more continued initial positive support from this CB community (as opposed to the opposite), given all the earlier calls from this community for a love of the Passport and a wish for an Android version. Positivity can have a contagious impact to help overcome obstacles that would otherwise be insurmountable. If 10,000 buyers of an upgraded Passport at $500 a pop is what it takes, maybe we should think that is cheap and that there will be 20,000 people interested, and maybe that would then help see if the interested base can increase up from 2000 slightly interested to maybe 5000 seriously interested.
    Thank you. Very well said.
    androidonpassport likes this.
    01-23-22 09:15 PM
    I just don't know if it's worth it to do all this for a 6-7 year old device.

It seems easier to get it done on a DroidBerry, but I could be wrong.

There were more KEY2's made and more are still being used today than Passports.
    01-23-22 09:20 PM
    ...we know you aren't on board with this project...
    I think @conite was the one who first posted in CB about the potential of this effort. I am not sure if @conite is necessarily "off board".
    dmlis and eshropshire like this.
    01-23-22 09:24 PM
    I just don't know if it's worth it to do all this for a 6-7 year old device.

It seems easier to get it done on a DroidBerry, but I could be wrong.

There were more KEY2's made and more are still being used today than Passports.
    Perhaps. I am not sure either. I have never owned a Passport before. I don't think I have even ever held one.
    01-23-22 09:25 PM
    I think @conite was the one who first posted in CB about the potential of this effort. I am not sure if @conite is necessarily "off board".
    The only thing I have a potential problem with is that someone may be taking an undue risk - and that actually affects me on an emotional level.

If it wasn't for that, I would be much more enthusiastic.
    mikael11 likes this.
    01-23-22 09:28 PM
    Im certainly not against the project at all. Its cool if it can be made but I was thinking small scale of maybe 100-200 people or so doing this, certainly not into the 1000s of people actually putting money down. I doubt this think will be allowed on US carriers even if he can get these made in good time.

Certainly got to get a detailed video and kickstarter going to really know where the interest stands. The poor SES guy got 10 people to give $50 for his keyboard idea and he was asking for 125K
    01-23-22 09:39 PM
    The only thing I have a potential problem with is that someone may be taking an undue risk - and that actually affects me on an emotional level.

If it wasn't for that, I would be much more enthusiastic.
    The technical possibilities make me feel enthusiastic, even if the risk means it might never get much further off the ground, given the need for a certain invested level before it might be able to go next concrete steps. I assume the OP is maintaining a willingness to not invest more than they are comfortable supporting for their "hobby time/interest", if that is still how it is right now proceeding.
    01-23-22 09:41 PM
    ...Certainly got to get a detailed video and kickstarter going to really know where the interest stands...
    I assume that would indeed help as a good litmus test.
    01-24-22 06:07 AM
495 ... 7891011 ...