I'm out of here.
    Last edited by androidonpassport; 03-13-22 at 11:56 AM.
    09-01-21 02:32 PM
    Welcome.

This thread is for the purpose of showcasing how I am accomplishing this task that no one ever though was possible.

I'll do my best to answer questions as I post updates.

For now feel free to check out my website and fill out the form on the services page so I can get an idea of how many of us are interested, and what model you would consider updating.

https://www.androidonpassport.com/

Thanks for now.
    What happens after 3G shutdown in the USA soon and these devices won't and don't have VoLTE capabilities?
    Tjtb and Babak Afifi like this.
    09-01-21 03:11 PM
    What's the difference between this thread and the other earlier one? Can we merge them together?
    09-01-21 03:31 PM
    ...disregard. I see the other one is now closed.

/news-rumors-f424/project-convert-passport-hardware-1191762/
    ahhhlain likes this.
    09-01-21 03:32 PM
    VoLTE works via T-Mobile on 4g
    I am playing with the radio.img file to see if I can get it to work on AT&T LTE

PS: From Qualcomms site re. SD801:

Specifications
    Cellular Modem-RF

Peak Download Speed: 150 Mbps

Peak Upload Speed: 50 Mbps

Cellular Modem-RF Specs: 2x10 MHz carrier aggregation (DL), 1x20 MHz (UL), LTE Category 4 (DL)

Calling Services: HD Voice over 3G and VoLTE

Cellular Technology: LTE TDD, LTE FDD, LTE Broadcast, WCDMA (DC-HSDPA, DC-HSUPA), TD-SCDMA, CDMA 1x, EV-DO, GSM/EDGE

BB Passport will continue to work until the shut down 4g LTE in who know how many years
    Will you be modding all colors/variants of the Passport? Or just the Silver as shown on your website?
    09-01-21 03:37 PM

VoLTE works via T-Mobile on 4g
    I am playing with the radio.img file to see if I can get it to work on AT&T LTE

PS: From Qualcomms site re. SD801:

Specifications
    Calling Services: HD Voice over 3G and VoLTE

Cellular Technology: LTE TDD, LTE FDD, LTE Broadcast, WCDMA (DC-HSDPA, DC-HSUPA), TD-SCDMA, CDMA 1x, EV-DO, GSM/EDGE

BB Passport will continue to work until they shut down 4g LTE in who knows how many years
    My understanding is the VoLTE implementation for the Passport was from earlier protocols and because of this relies on 3G whereas the later implementations of VoLTE are independent of any enhanced 3G backhaul.

According to AT&T, this is why the AT&T PRIV, AT&T KEYone are considered VoLTE supported but the AT&T Passport isn't VoLTE supported.
    09-01-21 04:17 PM
    I can do all (3) variants, but prefer to push the SE as it is the best rev to mod and allows for easy (not really but) conversion to Type-C connector.

I buy all of the cheap AT&T versions off of eBay when I can and strip them for the NFC/PGA/QI inlays and POGO Pins.
    BTW, the wireless charging is/was controlled in BB10 software, that's why you can't do it as a hardware hack like others have tried to
    So, I have an original black Passport and am not really interested in wireless charge or type-C usb even. Would we be able to pick and choose the mods? I suppose so - just checking.
    Winnertrack likes this.
    09-01-21 04:29 PM
    How will one get this device to work with their carrier?
    09-01-21 04:30 PM
    I can do all (3) variants, but prefer to push the SE as it is the best rev to mod and allows for easy (not really but) conversion to Type-C connector.

I buy all of the cheap AT&T versions off of eBay when I can and strip them for the NFC/PGA/QI inlays and POGO Pins.
    BTW, the wireless charging is/was controlled in BB10 software, that's why you can't do it as a hardware hack like others have tried to
    In any case, if you do end up going through with this project, I'll definitely get one if it can be made to work relatively fine.
    09-01-21 08:02 PM
    Nice project.

I would be interested for a SQW 100-1 Azerty black Passport.

I just filled the form on your site.

I was wondering how you intend to make the keyboard works on Android ? Will you use BlackBerry Keyboard software or Swiftkey ?

Will the keyboard keep its capacitive function ?
    09-02-21 01:07 AM
    I still didn't find any details about the actual steps and cost of this procedure.
    09-02-21 02:35 AM
    Welcome.

This thread is for the purpose of showcasing how I am accomplishing this task that no one ever thought was possible.

I'll do my best to answer questions as I post updates.

For now feel free to check out my website and fill out the form on the services page so I can get an idea of how many of us are interested, and what model you would consider updating.

https://www.androidonpassport.com/

Thanks for now.
    Thanks for this initiative. Will follow it closely. Can you tell us what's you are going to change from the original hardware? What about the drivers for everything? (camera, sensors)
    09-02-21 03:44 AM
    That is an amazing idea. If you pull it through I would get one - either sending in my used Passport or taking one of your SEs (if you have QWERTZ).
    09-02-21 04:13 AM
    So, I have an original black Passport and am not really interested in wireless charge or type-C usb even. Would we be able to pick and choose the mods? I suppose so - just checking.
    Once they have it opened up... probable not much difference in the cost of adding it or not.
    09-02-21 08:00 AM
    First of all, a very BIG Thank You to you for even attempting this. I'm not technical at all, so projects like this always strike me with awe. I have always dreamt of having an Android Passport. I have signed up. I don't care what the cost will be, I want one!
    Frosty458 likes this.
    09-02-21 08:46 AM
    Hello all. Thank you all for your interest and questions. I have to say I was not expecting the flood of inquiries on my site.

Being that I have a 60-70+ hour a week daytime job, it's hard for me to find time to handle Q&A's... and I only work on the passport project on the weekend.

If OK with moderators, I will post my current parts cost (with no mark up) and we already know it's currently taking about 5-6 hours to convert a phone. What those hours are worth in the end would be based on how much my local pcb assembly partner will charge me for the eMMC chips swaps (which is the most time consuming and delicate step) as I could only "flip" half a dozen phones over a weekend.

Let me make the progress I need to on the software part as I obviously have the hardware mods down pat.

Once I am past my alpha code, I will update you all with "what [drivers] works & what doesn't [yet].

Keep the faith.

In the end, I hope to launch before Onward Mobility (hehehe).

Sincerely. Me
    Good luck with your project. Hopefully we'll know if VoLTE compatible when first unit tested after 3G shutdown.
    09-02-21 08:52 AM
    As the OP sates, one has to think of this project as something like a (very) classic automobile. Running Android 9 on a 32-bit CPU from 2014 is certainly going to be "vintage". I wouldn't expect to be able use this as a primary device.

I too find this project interesting, but one has to manage expectations.
    Last edited by conite; 09-02-21 at 09:10 AM.
    09-02-21 08:53 AM
    As the OP sates, one has to think of this project as something like a (very) classic automobile. Running Android 9 on a 32-bit CPU from 2014 is certainly going to be "vintage". I wouldn't expect to be able use this as a primary device.
    Yep, highly skeptical for that as well. Also not really sure I want to get rid of BB10. I'm teetering on the fence, could fall either way.
    09-02-21 09:06 AM
    Yep, highly skeptical for that as well. Also not really sure I want to get rid of BB10. I'm teetering on the fence, could fall either way.
    Just buy his project device instead of using the one you already own.
    09-02-21 09:09 AM
    Good point!
    09-02-21 09:12 AM
    Good luck with your project. Hopefully we'll know if VoLTE compatible when first unit tested after 3G shutdown.
    Will say the Galaxy S5 which used the 801, is on AT&T list....

Not putting the Passport on the list, might have been due to BlackBerry ending support? Or just that there are too few of those users? That said, I'm not sure how spoofing works or if it lasts... or what affect it could have on your account.

I think this is very cool, but not sure what the end results will be...
    09-02-21 09:22 AM
    Save on shipping both ways as well...
    09-02-21 09:22 AM

I too find this project interesting, but one has to manage expectations.
    For people like me who have an hard time to forget their Passport, stucked on an Android Runtime from 2014, I think Android 9 would be more than enough to offer a couple of additional years of usage to this great device
    09-02-21 09:31 AM
    The 3G issue is god thanks no problem here in Germany because we will have still the 2G Network for calls.
    We are aware that we will get not a Ferrari out of a seven year old Smartphone but as I wrote already it is pretty cool to have Android 9 on the Passport!

Posted via CB10
    Viljams likes this.
    09-02-21 10:09 AM
    @androidonpassport

Now that I think about it, can you also do something similar to the Priv, to swap out the storage unit and have a more recent version of Android than Marshmallow??
    09-02-21 10:11 AM
495 123 ...