I left blackberry for an iphone in 2011, and I've absolutely hated the iphone for the last year. I absolutely cannot wait for the passport and I think it'll be a game changer. One thing that this phone needs is a great GTD (getting things done) like omnifocus, etc.

For now, I've been using IQTELL, which is a web based app for computer with an iphone/android mobile app. It manages email, calendars, evernote, reminders and todos all in the app. As a rep for the labour movement, I often have many smaller projects with many necessary documents/files on the go. IQTELL is really a lifesaver for me in terms of managing my time. Since android apps will now run on BB 10.3, I have some questions about using this great app on the passport.

1) Will the screen size be an issue for IQTELL/Android Apps if the app developer does not create a version for the new dimensions?

2) Will having an android app running in the background drain more battery than a normal BB app?

3) Native apps do look nice on the new BBs, am I missing out on what makes BB 10.3 great if I just use some web app for calendar, email, reminders, evernote?

4) The big question is probably security, but I don't think my employer has BES.

5) Any other thoughts on IQTELL and passport?

Many thanks. I've been diligently reading all of your comments on this site since seeing the passport. What a great innovation! I just posted this sans login name on the questions page...maybe an admin can delete it since there is an error in the title.
    08-04-14 08:59 AM
    Well I think it is too early to talk about specific Android apps and Passport compatability. Android apps are already working better since 10.2.1 and compatability has been greatly improved since the initital BB10 releases.

Some Android apps can indeed consume more battery compared to native ones. It kind of depends on the app itself. The more resources it consumes, the more it will drain the battery. Just like displaying your app, it is too early to tell whether it will have a higher than usual battery drain.

Thanks to the large display with such a high resolution using web based apps in the browser should be as convenient as it can get. However of course it is always a better experience to use dedicated apps for your tasks, such as Remember for Evernote or Calendar for your appointments.

BIS is not available for BB10. So you are either stuck with your typical data plan of your carrier or you could try getting your own BES hosting.

Double-typed and posted with a BlackBerry Q10.
    numbb likes this.
    08-04-14 09:55 AM
    You can use all that things in BB10, no need for a "one for all" app, since you have the HUB and everything is available and running in a true and accessible multi-task environment.

There is no interruption in the work flow.

Anyway, if it's a web based app, then you can access it through your browser, right? Then you don't have to worry about compatibility.

To your questions list:

1) usually Android app that are not made well, have some issues with the screen because they are squished vertically.
    If they are made well, there is no problem.

2) If the Android app sucks, yes it will do. I think Android apps still cannot run in background. (unless by "background" you mean "opened and in active frame")

3) That is the best thing about BlackBerry, and you didn't listed the HUB. Depends on what you need.

4) Even without BES, the security is high. BBM is protected anyway, and OS is secure and applications cannot access other applications data.

Also, you should check Blend, they announced this centralized management and looks very good for you.
    Last edited by II ARROWS; 08-04-14 at 10:10 AM.
    igor10000 and numbb like this.
    08-04-14 09:57 AM
    I left blackberry for an iphone in 2011, and I've absolutely hated the iphone for the last year. I absolutely cannot wait for the passport and I think it'll be a game changer. One thing that this phone needs is a great GTD (getting things done) like omnifocus, etc.

For now, I've been using IQTELL, which is a web based app for computer with an iphone/android mobile app. It manages email, calendars, evernote, reminders and todos all in the app. As a rep for the labour movement, I often have many smaller projects with many necessary documents/files on the go. IQTELL is really a lifesaver for me in terms of managing my time. Since android apps will now run on BB 10.3, I have some questions about using this great app on the passport.

1) Will the screen size be an issue for IQTELL/Android Apps if the app developer does not create a version for the new dimensions?

2) Will having an android app running in the background drain more battery than a normal BB app?

3) Native apps do look nice on the new BBs, am I missing out on what makes BB 10.3 great if I just use some web app for calendar, email, reminders, evernote?

4) The big question is probably security, but I don't think my employer has BES.

5) Any other thoughts on IQTELL and passport?

Many thanks. I've been diligently reading all of your comments on this site since seeing the passport. What a great innovation! I just posted this sans login name on the questions page...maybe an admin can delete it since there is an error in the title.
    As this app is available through the Amazon App store (see http://www.amazon.com/IQTELL-Email-a...UvbUpU10678818) it should be officially supported. The Amazon App store will ship preinstalled with the Passport and OS 10.3 and is the official source for Android apps on BB10.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    numbb likes this.
    08-04-14 10:16 AM
    Hmmm. I definitely have thoughts on this. Imho, IQTELL is a good app, but pales in comparison to BB10. BB10 IS a GTD tool, and needs no apps. I fluidly sync emails as tasks to my remember app. Pics, vids, files, etc can be added to the task. AND, it all shows up in my native calendar! I have not found a way to do this with android. IQTELL allows me to set emails as tasks, but then I can't add those tasks to my native calendar. I believe ios is the same. For me to accomplish on my iPad or HTC M8 what I can do natively on my Z30, requires multiple apps, and the flow just isn't there....for me anyway.
    So, I recommend just trying the BB10 way of doing things, and maybe you can leave those other apps behind.
    Please, just my 2 cents. I like the other Os's as well, but they can't do what I need them to do for organization....and I have tried!!
    Please correct me if someone knows a better way...

Posted via CB10
    nick13b and numbb like this.
    08-04-14 05:06 PM
    Thanks for your comments. I played with my friends Q10, and I really liked the HUB and the beauty of the native apps. It would be a shame to replace these, but IQTELL has really been working well at keeping me organized.

Another option that I've found is Viira but not sure how well it will work. Anyway, I guess all I can do is try out the passport, see how it works for me, and return it if I find it doesn't work.

In the meantime though, I'm so annoyed with my iphone 4s I'm thinking of going back to my BB Bold 9900.
    08-05-14 02:56 PM
    For those looking this topic, IQTell don't work fine on Q10 10.2.3 as the app crash sometimes. Maybe it's enough to keep alert / due date but not for working. You can use swipes to list evernote task and have due date alarm.
    11-05-15 12:18 AM
    Search on these forums for a topic called 'GTD with Remember'. Great source of information re how to use the built in app for GTD, I use this approach and it works really well

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-08-15 03:24 AM
    After installing google store, and reinstalling IQTell it works almost like a charm !
    Os 10.3.2.2836
    Crah are mainly due to conflicting sync / lag in syncing
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by TiFr3d; 02-16-16 at 03:45 PM. Reason: "almost" addded (one app crash)
    02-06-16 10:58 AM