I have done a quick and dirty mock-up (in paint ) of how I think bb10 should handle android apps when used on a square display like that if the passport, classic or q10. With hindsight I should have added a button for aspect ratio to the sidebar that let's you toggle between letter boxing and fullscreen.

Android Apps on Square Screens-mockup.jpg

I just copied the rotation lock button from the quick settings menu but the icon would have to be redesigned so that it's more obvious that it flips the app into a letterboxes virtual landscape mode with the sidebar moved to either the bottom (or the top to make the app easier to reach with your thumbs on the passport's monster screen).

What do you guys think? I've been wondering about this for a while and think this would probably be the best solution. It looks like BlackBerry have been working hard on fullscreen compatibility in 10.3+ but every now and again a developer will post a dodgy iOS port or a badly coded app that just doesn't work on a square screen and this would at least mitigate those issues.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 10:55 AM
    Interesting idea but Spotify was a poor choice in example. It's an app that is made to format well to different screen shapes and sizes
    08-18-14 11:56 AM