I'm sure this conversation has been had quite a few times. Prior to posting this I searched the Passport thread, didn't have much luck.

I notice if I install apps from Amazon or Snap, they don't seem to work well, example, Instagram (I have iGrann, notifications are terrible).

When opening Instagram, it automatically closes. Why? Am I missing something on my device to allow Android apps to just work as expected?

Posted via a BlackBerry Passport...
    12-27-14 09:58 PM
    Here's the thing with Android apps - they typically require Google Play Services (or other variables) that the BB Android Player simply has a hard time with.

Luckily, most of the time things will work if you downloaded them from Amazon or Snap. Especially Amazon since apps on there don't require GooglePS. When downloading from snap you take the risk of it not working.

Here's what I found helps:
    If your app (ie Instagram) is working FINE - DO NOT update it. Updating it can cause it to stop functioning (for whatever reason) and you're stuck trying to find an APK of the older version.
    If your app is NOT working - update it (as normal through snap). That typically fixes it for some reason.

Additionally, check out the ANDROID APPS portion of the crackberry forums

They help a lot, and some of the threads there look like options you could try instead of SNAP/AMAZON!

Hope that helps, sorry there's no quick solution you could apply right now to get it working. It's just a finicky thing we've got to deal with when having an entire operating system operate within a sandbox.
    anon(153966) likes this.
    12-27-14 10:54 PM
    Most apps I use are fine, but from what I understand Instagram is an issue. No app in Amazon requires Google play services, some in Snap will, and there are some workarounds by Cobalt in the APK forum that can help.

Welcome back to Black Ivan
    anon(153966) likes this.
    12-27-14 11:40 PM
    If BlackBerry were able to have only authentic apps, even my missus would be using a Passport. But for her, she simply wouldn't deal with this. I only do because I work in IT, and have a little idea how some of these things work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    12-28-14 12:21 AM
    If BlackBerry were able to have only authentic apps, even my missus would be using a Passport. But for her, she simply wouldn't deal with this. I only do because I work in IT, and have a little idea how some of these things work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    If frogs had wings bud, if frogs had wings...
    anon(153966) likes this.
    12-28-14 12:47 AM
    I am using an older version of Instagram on my Passport, and it works better than the latest version from Snap. No notifications, but it stays open.

Instagram 6.1.0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ovfewgj4u2...pknews.com.apk
    Last edited by Denise in Los Angeles; 12-28-14 at 07:42 PM.
    anon(153966) likes this.
    12-28-14 12:48 AM
    Good day for hot chocolate!

Android app: Amazon and Snap (Google)-img_20141228_112022.png

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 01:21 PM