it must be a slow news day
    02-01-15 10:55 PM
    Was thinking the same thing

Via The Passport.
    02-01-15 11:51 PM
    They work nicely without any lag but I would like to see a camera and display better than lumia in the next BlackBerry...

Posted via BlackBerry z10
    02-02-15 12:37 AM
    Are your Nokia phones flagship? Because the flagship displays are pretty awesome. The 9xx Lumias or the 1520 Lumia have a very good display. The OS is also pretty neat.
    Yes Andy, as a phone lover I tend to buy flagships only. It's a costly hobby as a student, but it still going fine.

I've had the 1520 for example. The display issnt bad, but also not remarkable good.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-15 12:48 AM
    They work nicely without any lag but I would like to see a camera and display better than lumia in the next BlackBerry...

The cameras on lumnias are selling points tho. BlackBerry never intended to sell a selfie or camera phone. BlackBerry's selling points are business and security.

I would like a better camera myself, but I'm sure there is a lot to fix on the software side.

Btw, I only hear downside from you. What about that awesome speakers in your passport? Those speakers where the best surprise after I had my passport!

Posted via CB10
    02-02-15 12:52 AM
    The cameras on lumnias are selling points tho. BlackBerry never intended to sell a selfie or camera phone. BlackBerry's selling points are business and security.

I would like a better camera myself, but I'm sure there is a lot to fix on the software side.

Btw, I only hear downside from you. What about that awesome speakers in your passport? Those speakers where the best surprise after I had my passport!

Posted via CB10
    The BlackBerry OS is really way much better than windows 8.1 and passport call quality and speakers are the best in market. I want BlackBerry to surpass in everything.......

02-02-15 01:12 AM
    The BlackBerry OS is really way much better than windows 8.1 and passport call quality and speakers are the best in market. I want BlackBerry to surpass in everything.......

Waauw, I made you say positive things, that's just pure awesome!!

Posted via CB10
    02-02-15 01:17 AM
    AMOLED color burnout? Where?! Haven't seen any since Galaxy S3 release, but that is long time ago. Even my Z30's predecessor Nokia C6-01 (released Q3/4 2010) is still working and its AMOLED is as same as it was when I bought the phone - every single pixel is there and works.

This 'opinion' about AMOLED burnout reminded me the times when we had bought Plasma TV Panasonic Viera (more than 8 years ago). Many people were like: "Why the hell did you buy a plasma TV? Don't you know its pixels will burn out? You should go for a LCD". Now, when you plug in the TV you will see that it is still working perfectly (well, the heat generated is higher, but the screen is still 100%), not a single pixel is "missing".

IPS may be more realistic and better at sunlight but for me, that�s all. Look at Samsung's last gen SUPER AMOLED on Galaxy Note 4 - better in every single point than the generation before. Sunlight problem is not the argument now.

Not one is better that the other one. It is only about end-user�s SUBJECTIVE PREFERENCE. And if users "somehow" chose IPS over AMOLED. Ok, I am fine with that but the phone without AMOLED is not for me.

So please, stop using this "cra**y" and totaly invalid argument as the MAIN argument. Yes, there is a tiny chance it may burn out, but is it higher than the chance you will drop your phone? Don't think so.

Why has Blackberry chosen IPS over AMOLED for their PASSPORT? I think it was due to economical policy. As far as I know, there are not 1440p x 1440p Super Amoleds available thus expensive in limited production. Passport would start at $1000.

"IPS colors are more natural but fail to produce the true black. Apple chooses IPS/Retina for more realistic colors."

What does Retina have to do with screen technology used? It is just about pixel density.
    WRONG: Apple chooses IPS because it is cheaper than AMOLED(S) so Apple can maximalise profit. AMOLED iPhone would be like $2000, even they do not offer anything better/special over other flagships. What can Apple iPhone 6 users experience now, that could Nexus 4 users experience more than 2 years ago.
    G-SRT4 likes this.
    02-02-15 01:31 AM
    I'm really glad they didn't put an amoled screen on the Passport otherwise I wouldn't have bought it and I wouldn't have known the PP is such an awesome device. Please no amoled screens on a BB!
    02-02-15 01:47 AM
    yeah.. my Z30 has recently got screen burnt firstly i thought the screen might have some dead pixels (which was strange as i only dropped the phone once from about my chest height which is around 1.5m screen down and never had anything since then) but as i keep reading on about OLED & AMOLED, i can safely conclude that, yes.. my Z30.. has been infected by the screen burn..

for me, IPS or AMOLED is not the main thing, it's more to how it fits to the device. that's why Apple never goes for AMOLED for their iPhones right? no matter what they always keep on using IPS..
    02-02-15 01:52 AM
    The IPS display isn't a step down from AMOLED, but it's different. If you go on thinkpads.com, you'll see that many people consider IBM's IPS displays to be among the best ever installed in a laptop. The other thing that's mentioned earlier in the thread - and is worth re-emphasizing - is that an IPS LCD will be easier to see than an AMOLED outdoors.
    02-02-15 03:20 AM

I happen to own both a Nokia 930 and a Z10. The hardware of the Nokia 930 is really nice and the AMOLED display is really eye candy. The camera is also rather good. Despite of this nice hardware, it is the software that is lacking. Windows Phone 8.1 has too many shortcomings and is too limited. I also don't like how Windows Phone always tries to get my data. I've turned every sharing option off and despite of that I get messages that I should back up my data on their server, this is really annoying. BB10 respects users privacy.

BB10 is a power house compared to Windows phone and absolutely the best mobile OS to date and that's why I come back to BB10 despite the gorgeous AMOLED of the 930.
    02-02-15 05:09 AM
    I happen to own both a Nokia 930 and a Z10. The hardware of the Nokia 930 is really nice and the AMOLED display is really eye candy. The camera is also rather good. Despite of this nice hardware, it is the software that is lacking. Windows Phone 8.1 has too many shortcomings and is too limited. I also don't like how Windows Phone always tries to get my data. I've turned every sharing option off and despite of that I get messages that I should back up my data on their server, this is really annoying. BB10 respects users privacy.

BB10 is a power house compared to Windows phone and absolutely the best mobile OS to date and that's why I come back to BB10 despite the gorgeous AMOLED of the 930.
    They will be releasing windows 10 to mobiles in summer. Maybe they will improve in that..... you don't feel like over saturated colors in 930?

02-02-15 05:28 AM
    They will be releasing windows 10 to mobiles in summer. Maybe they will improve in that..... you don't feel like over saturated colors in 930?

Microsoft have updated Windows Phone since the beginning of Windows Phone 7 days but they always fall short. I don't expect big improvements with Windows 10. Compare this with BB10 which had many features already there from the first release.

With Windows Phone 8.1 you can adjust the how vivid the colors should be. At least that's something good with Windows Phone.
    02-02-15 05:43 AM
    Microsoft have updated Windows Phone since the beginning of Windows Phone 7 days but they always fall short. I don't expect big improvements with Windows 10. Compare this with BB10 which had many features already there from the first release.

With Windows Phone 8.1 you can adjust the how vivid the colors should be. At least that's something good with Windows Phone.
    It's just a doubt. Which device you use more?
    Lumia 930 or z10?

02-02-15 06:01 AM
    I prefer amoled. And I will buy a new LG amoled tv too! :-)

BlackBerry Passport
    02-02-15 06:21 AM
    It's just a doubt. Which device you use more?
    Lumia 930 or z10?

Depends in time. Z10 before I got the Nokia 930. Now I'm using the 930 but I don't like Windows Phone so I'm getting a Passport instead. Z10 is a nice device but the battery life is a bit short.
    02-02-15 06:42 AM
    and is worth re-emphasizing - is that an IPS LCD will be easier to see than an AMOLED outdoors.
    This is a huge point for me. I'm not a cellar dweller, I need to see my phone in the sunlight.
    02-02-15 06:47 AM
    I have seen many people talking about ambled display which produce much better colors than IPS display. So why BlackBerry made BlackBerry passport to use an IPS display?

Don't confuse "better colors" with "over "oversaturated"... If you like oversaturated colors (wich aren't the real tone), then it would be better for you.

If you do any kind of image work like photography, graphic work or other stuff, then the oversaturated Amoled screens will kind of ruin your work.
    02-02-15 08:04 AM
    Usually, sRGB is the base line for what a decent display should be capable of. If a display can produce more colors than sRGB, then you usually calibrate it to sRGB anyway as most content is adapted for this. There is nothing wrong in being capable of being able to show "oversaturated colors", it is more a problem with calibration. Any OS should have the possibility to adjust this.

A more serious problem is when a display doesn't have the capability to show all the sRGB colors. You have probably seen that "this display can show 70% of sRGB" or similar. 70% of sRGB is not good at all. I don't know what the Passport LCD is rated at but I think it is less than sRGB. If you want a good LCD, then make sure it is sRGB capable. Apple has sRGB capable LCDs, that I know. AMOLEDs are always sRGB capable.
    G-SRT4 and Joao Oliveira like this.
    02-02-15 08:26 AM
    the ONE thing I really liked about my Z30's AMOLED was that it was pitch dark as an alarm clock in nightstand mode. The background is just off, real black, and then that soft glow of the alarm clock's orange face. Sweet perfection!
    Now, with my PP, just as it was with the Z10, the fact that the screen still produces light when in nightstand mode is not ideal.
    Other than that, the times I've been so happy to be able to read what I needed without shielding the screen with my hand are immense, so on the balance, I'd say this is better.
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    02-02-15 08:42 AM
    What I can get from various sources is that the color gamut of the Passport is 90% of sRGB which is not great but not a catastrophy either. For business use and we browsing the display will be ok. For movies and games I don't think it will be much of problem either.

What I don't understand is why Blackberry didn't set a requirement that the display must be sRGB. I think this is what Apple did and got their way. Mobile LCD display sRGB support isn't new and have been available for several years.
    02-02-15 12:39 PM
    My passport screen is fine as it is! It's not a winner and it's far from a loser.

Always preferred lcd over oled and always will.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-15 01:59 PM
    Good debate over Amoled over IPS display. I love my Z30 black screen.
    02-02-15 05:50 PM
    Apple has sRGB capable LCDs, that I know
    Ummm..they sure don't on the iPad Mini (all of them from the original to the current one) I believe they are in the 60 to 70% range? I have a Mini retina and the colors look horrible next to my PP

http://9to5mac.com/2013/11/18/retina...-7-and-others/
    02-02-15 06:00 PM
79 1234