Personally I cannot stand amoled screens due to the over saturated colours, non existent viewing in sunlight and worst of all screen burn. My wife's S3 which used to be mine has screen burn, makes no difference to her but it annoys me to no end. And it's not like the screen is on 24-7, has a time out of 10 seconds for the screen.

Loathe using screens with amoled, just looks so fake.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 08:29 AM
    I have seen many people talking about ambled display which produce much better colors than IPS display. So why BlackBerry made BlackBerry passport to use an IPS display?

Posted via BlackBerry z10
    I personally prefer AMOLED displays and would have rather had one on the Passport. I do know that a lot of people complained about the limited brightness of the AMOLED on the Z30, although I didn't have a problem with it. You'll never please everyone...

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 09:14 AM
    The Passport screen rocks over the Z30 screen

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 09:51 AM
    Using a Lumia 930 for months I can say there is nothing wrong with the screen no colour burnouts or anything. And Samsung screens are seriously oversaturated but not the Lumias. I vote for Amoled! Shame they used LCD in the Passport!

BlackBerry Passport
    02-01-15 09:51 AM
    On my note. It seems lacking some contrast.

Posted via  Z10 aTrueBbLover 
    02-01-15 10:09 AM
    I gad very bad experience with amoled on my note. Colurs seems better when device is new buy get degraded overtime and I think true hd ips would be great over amoled coz reality is far better than living in house made of fake colour

.. only thing I like about amoled are less power hungry coz they do not need backlit like ips.

Posted via  Z10 aTrueBbLover 
    02-01-15 10:16 AM
    I compared my friends galaxy phones S3-S4-S5 and a Note2 with my Lumia and I could see the difference. And I never used a Samsung mobile before but I'm happy I haven't experienced any screen faults with my Nokia yet!

BlackBerry Passport
    02-01-15 10:19 AM
    The reason that Blackberry has chosen an IPS display is likely that an AMOLED (AMOLED is a Samsung word) display was not available with that high resolution and unorthodox dimensions. The display of galaxy S5 has a lower PPI than the Passport, so it would not comply with the Passport dimensions. The only AMOLED display with higher is the Note 4 with 515 PPI. This one could have worked but likely not available when the Passport was developed.

AMOLED displays produce better colors and is usually more pleasant to watch. However, there are ways for LCD displays to produce better colors and Sony has their Triluminous displays where they use special LEDs with quantum materials.

On the down side AMOLED are prone for burn ins which can be a problem for a business phone where a person might sit a long time with the same program for hours. Also, AMOLED usually have a less uniform image at lower intensities. Dark grey on an AMOLED and you will see patterns in you display, basically variations of the intensity for each pixel. LCDs is much more uniform here. However, this is a quite small problem I think compared to what you get with an AMOLED display.

In the future I expect AMOLED screens to gain more market share compared to LCDs. Both Samsung and LG are producing them and they will sell these to other companies as well. AMOLED will improve when it comes to life expectancy and will become cheaper than LCDs. LCDs are more complicated as you need an LCD, backlight and a light spreading material increasing the thickness as well. AMOLEDs are just printed on a substrate and when they have increased the yields of the manufacturing I think LCDs will start to phase out just like plasma displays.
    yvpan1 likes this.
    02-01-15 10:39 AM
    I compared my friends galaxy phones S3-S4-S5 and a Note2 with my Lumia and I could see the difference. And I never used a Samsung mobile before but I'm happy I haven't experienced any screen faults with my Nokia yet!

BlackBerry Passport
    Which one you liked it than? Lumia or samsung as both amoled

02-01-15 10:41 AM
    The reason that Blackberry has chosen an IPS display is likely that an AMOLED (AMOLED is a Samsung word) display was not available with that high resolution and unorthodox dimensions. The display of galaxy S5 has a lower PPI than the Passport, so it would not comply with the Passport dimensions. The only AMOLED display with higher is the Note 4 with 515 PPI. This one could have worked but likely not available when the Passport was developed.

AMOLED displays produce better colors and is usually more pleasant to watch. However, there are ways for LCD displays to produce better colors and Sony has their Triluminous displays where they use special LEDs with quantum materials.

On the down side AMOLED are prone for burn ins which can be a problem for a business phone where a person might sit a long time with the same program for hours. Also, AMOLED usually have a less uniform image at lower intensities. Dark grey on an AMOLED and you will see patterns in you display, basically variations of the intensity for each pixel. LCDs is much more uniform here. However, this is a quite small problem I think compared to what you get with an AMOLED display.

In the future I expect AMOLED screens to gain more market share compared to LCDs. Both Samsung and LG are producing them and they will sell these to other companies as well. AMOLED will improve when it comes to life expectancy and will become cheaper than LCDs. LCDs are more complicated as you need an LCD, backlight and a light spreading material increasing the thickness as well. AMOLEDs are just printed on a substrate and when they have increased the yields of the manufacturing I think LCDs will start to phase out just like plasma displays.
    Amoled is not a Samsung word! Super Amoled is!

BlackBerry Passport
    02-01-15 10:55 AM
    Which one you liked it than? Lumia or samsung as both amoled

Definitely the Nokia! brighter colours but not Samsung oversaturated! And I use my Nokia with the brightest most colourful settings and it is just awesome. I can recommend it anytime speaking from my experience...

BlackBerry Passport
    02-01-15 10:58 AM
    Since some asked:

No; a LCD screen does NOT use significantly less power when displaying a predominantly white image, than it does with a darker one -- the thing is that it doesn't use more either. (EDIT: ...and some people draw a false conlusion from that)
    It works by blocking out the backlight, which shines just as bright, regardless of whether the pixel is black or white. Want to save power? -Dim the entire display, by adjusting the backlight.
    (Why the "significantly" cop-out? -The brighter the pixel you want, the lower the voltage you apply to its liquid crystal layer (assuming a "normally white" screen, which is transparent when off -- with a "normally black" one, the opposite applies). This is a tiny bit of powersaving, though; It is the backlight LEDs that are the big powerdraw, not the actuation.)

As for colour saturation: This is a matter of content balancing. When you view imagery that has been balanced to look good on a washed out screen, on something that has better definition and maybe a larger colour gamut, it will come off oversaturated, just as audio that has been mixed to sound decently on an el-cheapo car radio, with things like bass EQed up through the roof, will likely sound off, when played on your multi-thousand-dollar Krell system.
    It is quite possible we'll see similar complaints against coming LCD displays with "quantum dot" backlights, which have less "stray" light (EDIT: ...in their spectrum, and consequently also using less power), but it is quite likely that use of colour profiles (such as used with monitors, by imaging professionals) will have become universal by then, making it a non-issue, regardless of technology.

EDIT: On BB10, of course, we also have the camera software, which revels in oversaturating captured imagery before presenting it to you... :9
    EDIT2: ...not that I mind, mind you; I'm colour blind and need all the extra separation I can get. :P
    Last edited by jojon2se; 02-01-15 at 11:17 AM.
    thymaster and K-Naikai like this.
    02-01-15 11:01 AM
    Definitely the Nokia! brighter colours but not Samsung oversaturated! And I use my Nokia with the brightest most colourful settings and it is just awesome. I can recommend it anytime speaking from my experience...

BlackBerry Passport
    Yah all my family members have lumia and I am the only one having a BlackBerry. All of them has such great displays in mobile. Feels a little down when I use BlackBerry in front of them... just kidding....

02-01-15 11:39 AM
    Yah all my family members have lumia and I am the only one having a BlackBerry. All of them has such great displays in mobile. Feels a little down when I use BlackBerry in front of them... just kidding....

Did you read anything anyone has written here? The IPS lcd is a better screen for color reproduction in every case. The only advantage of amoled is that black is actually Black.

Which you prefer is your own decision but objectively speaking the LCD is the better screen for quality
    makie and thymaster like this.
    02-01-15 11:51 AM
    I'm not a fanboy of any platform but my Nokias screen is calling me back every day!!! I love punchy colours. Otherwise amoled is the future in tvs as well that is why LG is going that way for example and not because they have the budget and the free time of developing! Each of their own! But I just don't agree with you on the amoled vs ips battle. It's not simply the blacks on the screen every single colour is way better! I was in the apple store the other day and while I was waiting for my nieces phone I compared the screen of my Lumia with the screen of an iPhone 6. I don't really understand why people think the iPhones screen is the best on the planet! Again, Samsung is a different story because all of those screens in their mobile devices are just too too oversaturated. Well, this is my opinion obviously

BlackBerry Passport
    02-01-15 12:15 PM

Seriously, all I hear is you talking about Nokia. You clearly made the wrong choise by choosing the passport.

I've had the note 4 for around 1.5 month and before that the iphone 6 for around a month. I'm not loyal to any brand so I'm as unbiased as it gets. The note 4 was tested for their screen like every other mobile gets and it has the best screen out there. However, this is based on colors and amoled do get real black colors, but it sucks in overall!

When I take a picture I would like it to look like the real thing. When watching the picture on a amoled screen you will see totally different colors..

Some people may like fake colors, but I don't.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 12:55 PM
    I'm not a fanboy of any platform but my Nokias screen is calling me back every day!!! I love punchy colours. Otherwise amoled is the future in tvs as well that is why LG is going that way for example and not because they have the budget and the free time of developing! Each of their own! But I just don't agree with you on the amoled vs ips battle. It's not simply the blacks on the screen every single colour is way better! I was in the apple store the other day and while I was waiting for my nieces phone I compared the screen of my Lumia with the screen of an iPhone 6. I don't really understand why people think the iPhones screen is the best on the planet! Again, Samsung is a different story because all of those screens in their mobile devices are just too too oversaturated. Well, this is my opinion obviously

BlackBerry Passport
    The iphone 6 doesn't have the best screen around, since the note 4 has it. Even tho I've owned windows devices my self it would never come to my mind that windows has one of the best screens around, like never. Only thing I can applaud windows for is the battery friendly OS.

My last windows device 1520 was a king with his battery!

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 01:02 PM
    Some people like myself like to try new gadgets and because I did love my Z10 and Z30 before I thought I should try the Passport because of the OS and the cool looking. But between the Z30 and the Passport there was the Lumia...and because I tried different platforms I can see the differences. sorry for not being an alloverblackberryguy! But that's me.

BlackBerry Passport
    02-01-15 01:03 PM
    Some people like myself like to try new gadgets and because I did love my Z10 and Z30 before I thought I should try the Passport because of the OS and the cool looking. But between the Z30 and the Passport there was the Lumia...and because I tried different platforms I can see the differences. sorry for not being an alloverblackberryguy! But that's me.

BlackBerry Passport
    I've had every OS last year. Probably over 10 phones, and you don't hear me boost about any other mobile. Every mobile has its pros and cons, but all I hear is you ( and the other dude) talking about Nokia. I've also had a few Nokia devices and they ain't that special, never were compared to what was out there at that time. I'm not trying to say they suck, but comon, the screens on nokia's ain't special at all.

Anyway, I don't mind you trying other mobiles are even talking about it, but this is a blackberry forum and not Nokia or windows.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 01:18 PM
    To be honest I never thought that one day I can buy a Nokia or any WindowsPhone device but I wanted something new and because I don't like android or iOS no other phone was on the market which was built high end. Well again it's my opinion but I think the 930 feels high end! So I gave it a go and basically I was surprised in a positive way.

BlackBerry Passport
    02-01-15 01:20 PM
    Haha yeah I know it's a blackberry forum I respect that. But because it's a blackberry forum does that mean we can only talk about blackberry phones? Forum means you can have conversations of any kind and basically mentioning WindowsPhone or Nokia on a mainly BlackBerry forum should mean something! Things to talk about... opinions... etc

BlackBerry Passport
    02-01-15 01:23 PM
    When the 930 came it out it was nokia's highend device. I'm not saying it was a bad device, don't get me wrong. Like I said, every phone has it pros and cons. Anyway let's stop this discussion, we ain't kids anymore. Have a great day

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 01:24 PM
    Yeah accept your words. Pros and cons! All the best! :-)

BlackBerry Passport
    02-01-15 01:58 PM
    I much prefer oled displays and the LCD display and the weight of the passport are the only things I wish I could change.

Posted via CB10
    G-SRT4 likes this.
    02-01-15 03:50 PM
    I've had every OS last year. Probably over 10 phones, and you don't hear me boost about any other mobile. Every mobile has its pros and cons, but all I hear is you ( and the other dude) talking about Nokia. I've also had a few Nokia devices and they ain't that special, never were compared to what was out there at that time. I'm not trying to say they suck, but comon, the screens on nokia's ain't special at all.

Anyway, I don't mind you trying other mobiles are even talking about it, but this is a blackberry forum and not Nokia or windows.

Posted via CB10
    Are your Nokia phones flagship? Because the flagship displays are pretty awesome. The 9xx Lumias or the 1520 Lumia have a very good display. The OS is also pretty neat.
    02-01-15 05:43 PM
79 1234