So I ordered the Passport at the $599 price tag a while ago (on Amazon). By the time I checked out I was put on backorder. The Passport was not available anymore. And that's where my order sits.
    Today I received an email that the Passport is back on Amazon. With excitement I logged in to see when the ship date will be but nada. Still it says "not available yet". But what I saw on Amazon is the Passport being offered from $849 to a whopping $1300 through third parties.

Does anybody know when Amazon continues to ship? When are they getting new inventory in?

I think it was a huge mistake to just manufacture 200,000 units. I read that BB needs to sell 850,000 units to break even on the Passport. Why not manufacture the 850,000 units first? In BBs past the write-off on unsold inventory was one of the big financial problems. Wasn't it one of Chen's great moves in the beginning to outsource manufacturing to Foxconn with Foxconn taken on the inventory risk (essentially the same deal Foxconn has or had with Apple)?
    So where would BB get hurt by ordering 850,000 units and maybe only selling 600,000?

My daughter wanted the IPhone 6. When I ordered it with Verizon it was out of stock but the invoice said it will be shipped by 10/7. Out of stock yet a possible shipping date? What a novelty. Well she got it earlier.
    But how is that possible that neither Amazon nor BB can tell you an approx shipping date? Have they even ordered additional units or am I sitting with my order for the next 6 months without any date or time frame?

I do like what Chen has done so far but to bungle the sale of a brand new phone like that is outrageous and quite aggravating.

Has anybody heard or read somewhere at what point BB and Amazon can actually fulfill all the pre-orders they have received?
    10-02-14 02:27 PM
    I'm not sure where you heard 850,00 for break even. Pretty sure Chen said 150k. Which they have already surpassed.

I highly prefer this alliance with amazon rather than the alternative like what happened with the last bb20 launches. Like where I had to buy my z10 and Z30 from Canada to get it in a timely manner. And pay more than I should have might I add.

I know it sucks waiting for amazon, and I as well almost peed my pants when I saw that amazon email This morning but patience is key. Trust the Chen!

On a side note the passport amazon email was for third party sellers thus the price hike, it's not being shipped yet direct from amazon.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1154 = heaven.
    epress man likes this.
    10-02-14 02:51 PM
    October 6th is the rumor date of the next big shipment of Passports

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1154 = heaven.
    Q10Bold likes this.
    10-02-14 02:51 PM
    So I ordered the Passport at the $599 price tag a while ago (on Amazon). By the time I checked out I was put on backorder. The Passport was not available anymore. And that's where my order sits.
    Today I received an email that the Passport is back on Amazon. With excitement I logged in to see when the ship date will be but nada. Still it says "not available yet". But what I saw on Amazon is the Passport being offered from $849 to a whopping $1300 through third parties.

Does anybody know when Amazon continues to ship? When are they getting new inventory in?

I think it was a huge mistake to just manufacture 200,000 units. I read that BB needs to sell 850,000 units to break even on the Passport. Why not manufacture the 850,000 units first? In BBs past the write-off on unsold inventory was one of the big financial problems. Wasn't it one of Chen's great moves in the beginning to outsource manufacturing to Foxconn with Foxconn taken on the inventory risk (essentially the same deal Foxconn has or had with Apple)?
    So where would BB get hurt by ordering 850,000 units and maybe only selling 600,000?

My daughter wanted the IPhone 6. When I ordered it with Verizon it was out of stock but the invoice said it will be shipped by 10/7. Out of stock yet a possible shipping date? What a novelty. Well she got it earlier.
    But how is that possible that neither Amazon nor BB can tell you an approx shipping date? Have they even ordered additional units or am I sitting with my order for the next 6 months without any date or time frame?

I do like what Chen has done so far but to bungle the sale of a brand new phone like that is outrageous and quite aggravating.

Has anybody heard or read somewhere at what point BB and Amazon can actually fulfill all the pre-orders they have received?
    Please chill. Let's get some fact straight.

DO NOT listen to anyone who posts on any investment site like seekingalpha. They don't have a clue what they are talking about and almost always have a something to gain or lose.

I am not sure I have seen any figures from Blackberry on the number of units manufactured. I have never seen them in the past, they have all be SPECULATION.

Foxconn does not manufacture the Passport, they only manufacture the Z3. This means that excess Passport production would be a write down if not sold.

Please be patient.
    10-02-14 03:02 PM
    I'm in the same boat. I waited for the seller to show as Amazon again and with Prime before I put down my purchase. Now just waiting for them to be restocked. I've also been checking on shop blackberry and their site said they will begin shipping again next week. I'm hoping that Amazon gets restocked at the same time as well.

This is the first time that BlackBerry has made the phone available day 1 to early adopters that I know of. I was very surprised by this. I don't think that the sale has necessarily been bungled. They made some inventory they had available for sale direct to consumers while the majority of the initial shipments will go to carriers. Now that they know the demand is there more inventory will be allotted to direct purchase.

I'm just very very very glad they gave us the option of bypassing US Carriers and buying directly. Knowing that I'm just waiting for a restock is infinitely better than hoping for carrier support.
    DueNorthBB and DocDRM like this.
    10-02-14 03:04 PM
    I wonder what it is in the human psyche that perpetuates armchair CEO-ing....
    10-02-14 03:12 PM
    Amazon US is taking orders again. Still says out of stock, but can order and wait for more info and be billed when shipped. 599.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 03:12 PM
    Change your name to Misinformed_BB_Fanatic
    austriker likes this.
    10-02-14 03:14 PM
    I placed my order on September 26th, my account hasn't been charged nor did I get a shipping date estimate. Seems to me someone at amazon got more orders than they could handle. Patience is the name of the game now. I should probably stop visiting crackberry as it's making it harder to wait seeing all of you happy owners haha but who am i kidding.

Excited for monday to come!
    10-02-14 03:19 PM
    I ordered on the 30th when they were taking orders without stock. I honestly think we'll get them sometime next week... More than I can say about my iPhone on order (which shipped on the 25th, but still has no delivery date due to an exception on UPS's end).

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-02-14 03:22 PM
    Obviously the big question (other than will they be able to ship on Oct 6) is whether or not they will have enough stock to ship all of the pre-orders that people like you and I have made.

Hopefully now that BB/Amazon have a better understanding of the demand they aren't going to over promise this time like Shop Blackberry did.

Who knows, but here's hoping!

Now where did I put my beer?

GBA
    10-02-14 03:25 PM
    Yes there is low volume for a high demand phone which is bad business. I guess they got too much cold feet after Q10/Z10 inventory build up but this time around, the supply is pathetic and will damage growth if this phone is truly in demand because people are very impatient and they will just go and pick up a competitor phone if they wait too long to get one.

As for amazon, if you call them and complain that you ordered when it said "pre-order will ship by friday", they will give you perks like free shipping and credit and even discount on the phone.

Their customer service is awesome, even if the first rep gives you nothing, give them a bad rating and amazon will automatically call you back and make sure you are "satisfied".

I got discount on the phone and fastest shipping free! And the funny part is Amazon did honor its delivery estimate afterall and got my Passport on Tuesday. I had placed my order on launch event day around 12:40 pm
    10-02-14 03:30 PM
    My Passport was made in Mexico,.. not by Foxconn... lol

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 04:00 PM
    Be patient, I guess they are letting the pre orders pile up a little bit before putting big production orders, I also ordered on Amazon last week and waiting, hope next week they have it available and it ships.
    10-02-14 04:06 PM
    I have to say the Passport ordering was the worst experience that I ever made with Amazon. So far, I have ordered more than 300 items on Amazon, and many times it was fascinating to see how the item got shipped just shortly after the order arrived.
    The Passport that I ordered was allegedly "in stock" and "ships within 24 hours". In fact, it took them 51 hours from the point in time I submitted the order until it actually shipped. I complained twice, and always got meaningless standard answers.
    Either there is such extraordinary demand for the Passport, or Amazon have screwed up their shipping logisitics big time. I don't know what happened, but this experience was very unusual for Amazon.
    10-02-14 05:10 PM
    I assume they will have them the same time shopblackberry.com does. Says Oct. 8.
    10-02-14 05:24 PM
    I have to say the Passport ordering was the worst experience that I ever made with Amazon. So far, I have ordered more than 300 items on Amazon, and many times it was fascinating to see how the item got shipped just shortly after the order arrived.
    The Passport that I ordered was allegedly "in stock" and "ships within 24 hours". In fact, it took them 51 hours from the point in time I submitted the order until it actually shipped. I complained twice, and always got meaningless standard answers.
    Either there is such extraordinary demand for the Passport, or Amazon have screwed up their shipping logisitics big time. I don't know what happened, but this experience was very unusual for Amazon.
    I think it was a combination of much lower expected initial demand, and very slow BlackBerry distribution channel management. I'm sure amazon was not pleased at all, since it does hurt their reputation... hopefully they will be more hands on with future orders.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 05:28 PM
    There was definitely more than 200k manufactured. I bought mine at a local Telus store on the 25th.

Reports say 200k was sold between amazon and shopblackberry.

Posted via CB10
    itzJustMeh likes this.
    10-02-14 05:31 PM
    It's not the first item where demand has exceeded supply and it won't be the last. It's been a few days that's all. Honestly, people are reacting as though there's a food shortage here.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 06:20 PM
    It's better for BlackBerry to have this problem of not being able to meet initial demand then make a crap load of phones that don't sell.
    Sarek1701 and gvs1341 like this.
    10-02-14 11:29 PM
    I wonder what it is in the human psyche that perpetuates armchair CEO-ing....
    It's the simple idea that one is better than everyone else. =0)

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 11:36 PM
    Slightly misleading title IMHO. The Amazon ordering process may suck, but the Passport itself surely does not.

I was able to walk into a Telus shop and buy one this week. Granted, it was one of the last 2 in stock, but I went home with it.

And I agree with the poster that said that having more units sold than delivered is a great place for BB to be. I'm sure they'll be out soon.

Edit: To be fair, I've had nothing but good experiences with Amazon.ca purchases. I can't speak about Amazon.com, but from what I hear, .com is better anyway.
    10-02-14 11:37 PM
  23. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Passport is a fantastic product!! It sold out quicker than anyone at BlackBerry could have imagined with several hundred thousand back orders...

They are moving quickly to get the products through the supply chain to you.

It's good for BlackBerry and blackberry lovers to have a winning and profitable product consumers can be proud to have and excited about....
    ... and a successful BlackBerry company going forward.

A little patience...a few more days...

... in the past, it would have "launched " with delivery weeks if not months away!!!

BlackBerry Ceo Chen has done an amazing job so far... they are no doubt moving as quickly to meet the demands world wide for this flagship phone... they have provided options for many to purchase online, rather than through traditional channels...

Passport... It's well Worth the wait!

... from my amazing Passport purchased via shop blackberry...

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 11:45 PM
    As the old saying goes, "good things come to those that wait" You won't be disappointed.
    Of course, I like this one better "early bird gets the worm" J/K
    10-02-14 11:54 PM
    Hang in there. It was like my 6+. I cancelled my preorder and found my baby two weeks later.
    10-03-14 01:48 AM
55 123