Preamble:
    I was a devoted Blackberry owner for many years and transitioned to BBOS10 with a Q5 in 2013. It worked well enough, but was always rather short on memory and battery life.
    A couple of weeks ago the Blackberry online store started selling Passports at a huge markdown. Now we know why of course!!
    Anyway, I snapped one up. For what I paid for it (235 GBP brand new), I am very happy.

I had really looked forward to installing all the apps that I just didn't have the space or processing oomph for on the Q5.

I was mildly disappointed however by how many apps and games just didn't show up, neither in the Blackberry Appstore nor the Amazon one.
    This included the Gameloft Dark Knight Rises game which I had never been able to download on my Q5 - it is just too big (1Gb). But it doesn't show up on the Appstore at all on the Passport. Why so?

Heading over the Amazon Appstore, some notable no-shows included the Kindle App and Amazon Music App - both of which I could install OK from the Amazon Appstore OK on my Q5.
    Again, why so? Is it due to the Passport's weird screen size perhaps?

The versions of the Amazon App and Amazon Appstore were also much lower than on my Q5, and no updates were detected.

So why the missing apps and updates on my Passport versus my Q5? (Both have the latest identical version of BBOS10). I would have thought the Passport was a more powerful and more recent device.

I went away and hit the APK mirror sites and actually got the Kindle App and Amazon Music working with no problems at all, so why isn't Amazon allowing me to install them from their own Appstore?

Finally - and here is a really weird one - there are many, many threads about people not being able to get the Amazon Instant Video App to work on their BBOS10 Blackberries, or only intermittently (if you install the APK from an APK mirror site for instance - and even then sooner or later it stops working).

To my immense surprise, _on the Q5_, and only a few days ago, on one occasion I clicked on an Amazon Prime Instant Video link in my Amazon App and... it took me to the Amazon Appstore and just went ahead and installed Instant Video (the latest version! - 3.0.187.7141) . And it works. On my Q5.
    This is the full app and purports to allow me to download videos as well (although I haven't tried that)

Moreover, the Instant Video app is now displayed in my Amazon Appstore list
    It is even still displayed in my Amazon Appstore list _on my Passport_.
    It will even install on my Passport from the Amazon Appstore... but don't get excited, all I then get is the dreaded "...this device isn't supported" error message. But it keeps on ticking on my Q5.
    Odd, odd, odd...
    Again, is this because of the screen size perhaps? But then why has Amazon apparently decided to be sweet to my Q5, after all these years? (Is it only _my_ Q5 come to that??)

I tried many older versions of Instant Video from the APK mirrors on my Passport - basically none of them worked (I went back to April 2015). And this was despite the fact that some of these versions had worked in the past on my Q5.

I have of course done all the things that frustrated Blackberry Amazon Instant Video supplicants have tried, for instance trying it from various browsers in desktop mode, and in flash-enabled browsers (but then Amazon no longer supports Flash anyway).
    I thought people might like to see a list of what I managed to install on my Passport from APK mirror sites, which shows it can actually run a lot of Android apps flawlessly - it just can't run Amazon Instant Video!

I also incidentally updated the Amazon App and Amazon Appstore from APK mirrors - they run fine but don't seem to make any difference to the problems with Instant Video. If I click on video content in the Amazon App, then it does call the Instant Video app, but either the Instant Video app stops or it gives the error message above- same old, same old.

Right, that list of increasingly exotic browsers that I tried:
    Blackberry native browser set to desktop mode: When I attempt to view an Amazon video online, it thinks it is Safari and prompts me to install Silverlight.
    Zeus (with or without flash turned on) in desktop mode: Says the web browser isn't compatible and suggests Chrome or Firefox
    Evolution in desktop mode and set to emulate Chrome: Ditto
    Opera from Amazon Appstore or APK beta: Gets tantalisingly close - when attempting to view an Amazon video online, it gives a Digital Rights Error and says I need to install Wildevine Content Decryption Module - but I don't think this can be installed for a non-desktop version of Opera.
    Firefox from APK mirror: Says the web browser isn't compatible and suggests Chrome.
    Aurora from Firefox APK beta site: Ditto

Chrome from APK mirror: I had to backtrack through the recent versions on the APK mirror sites until I found one that supported Android 4. Only then could the Passport install it. In non-desktop mode, it gives me a range of other apps on my Blackberry to attempt to open an Amazon video when I click on it, including all the above browsers, itself, and the Amazon App. None of these can hack it though.

In desktop mode, however, Chrome gives a tantalising error similar to Opera, a "Protected Content Error", and asks me to unblock Amazon.co.uk in the Protected content tab of site settings. Trouble is... there is no such tab in site settings in Chrome - presumably this is again something only on the desktop version of Chrome?

As you can see, Opera and Chrome come tantalisingly close, and if the relevant settings options were present in the Android versions of these browsers then they might well actually play the Amazon content. This is an awfully big "if" though.

Most all of these just prompt you to install The Instant Video app unless you are in _desktop mode_ - in desktop mode they give the responses above.

So, STILL no Instant Video, but I can install Opera, Firefox, Aurora and Chrome!! Meanwhile I can use my old Q5 as a pocket Amazon Instant Video viewer.... still, odd.....

Comments anyone?

Thanks

Oliver (aka Astrobiologist)
    10-07-16 05:44 AM
    Why don't you install the Google play store on your passport so you don't have to fiddle with the amazon appstore?

Posted via CB10
    10-07-16 06:57 AM
    How can I do this please? And what are the advantages over simply getting the relevant APKs from a reputable mirror site?

I don't think this would help in the specific infamy of Amazon Instant Video, but I would certainly be interested for other apps.

Thanks
    10-07-16 08:55 AM
    How can I do this please?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/android...ctions-985344/

And what are the advantages over simply getting the relevant APKs from a reputable mirror site?
    More apps will work as intended and you won't have to write any long-winded posts that can be summed by someone saying:

'Not all apps are compatible. Developers can decide which devices they want to support and <insert device> isn't one of them.'

Which is what is happening with Amazon. Developers on the Amazon App Store can block access to any apps on any device they wish. If they think their app looks terrible or doesn't run well on the Passport, but works fine on the Q5 for example, they can block access to the Passport.

Some generically allow all devices to download the apps and others are more picky and selective in which devices they allow access to. Part of why the Amazon App Store was never a fully acceptable solution for apps. It just slightly improved an already bad situation.
    10-08-16 07:57 PM
    Both the Passport and the Q5 have the same 1:1 screen ratio, but the Passport has twice the resolution at 1440x1440, so that may be a compatibility issue.
    10-08-16 09:00 PM
    Amazon prime video will not work on passport, regardless of where you find the app. Sorry. Kindle ereader still works and prime music too.

For my prime videos, I just use my laptop and connect to a tv.

Oh, and alexa app does not work on passport either.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    10-08-16 09:11 PM
    Thanks for all your advice and particularly the link to Cobalt. I'll definitely give it a go.

Apologies for any long-windedness but it is good sport of a sort to see what exactly is lurking in Google Chrome, Opera etc.
    Downloading one of these as an APK and going to Chrome://flags or Opera://flags reveals what features these browsers have turned on or off. Still no luck with regard to unblocking protected content on Chrome or finding the Wildevine Content Decryption Module on Opera. However, "encrypted media content" is enabled on Opera, which still begs the intriguing question - if not Amazon Video etc, exactly what encrypted video does Opera think it can play?
    Likewise, by all accounts Chrome for Android comes with Wildevine and other decryption modules built in, but it would be nice to find some video site somewhere that tested it out one way or another.
    Chrome://version and Opera://version reveals that Chrome knows it is a Passport (and maybe turns off some options as a result?):

At the moment, we are in the relatively happy situation that our Blackberries can run just about any APK, but I imagine fewer and fewer Android apps will support Android 4 as time goes by. At the moment I am having fun putting more and more stuff on my Passport, including (for instance) working on a maths project in Matlab Mobile and uploading compiled Arduino files over Bluetooth to my LightBlue Bean microcontroller using Bean Loader. It keeps on ticking, and I use the VirusTotal site to give the APKs the onceover first.

I still wonder how my Q5 sneaked through - I don't see any other reports of Blackberries, Q5s or otherwise, installing working Amazon Video from the actual Amazon app store. However this is tangental, I am resigned to the fact that it will never work. It would still be interesting to find out if Chrome, Opera etc. can play some encrypted media formats, but I am not sure if there are any reports about this for these apps on Blackberries.

Thanks
    10-10-16 05:38 AM
    I was able to install both the Amazon Music and Kindle apps on my Passport SE purchased from Amazon (AT&T service) straight out of the box with no other downloads or configuring necessary. Then I attempted to back up the device using BlackBerry Link, loaded drivers that wiped the phone, and had to reinstall everything. Now Amazon Music and Kindle will not reload, and when I attempt to reload them, it says they are not compatible with the device. How can I fix that?

Posted via CB10
    10-11-16 06:27 AM
    I just received my Blackberry Passport today and when I try to launch Amazon or the Amazon App store apps, it just sort of shows a black screen that flickers a bit - is there a fix to this?
    10-13-16 08:12 PM
    I had the same problem with Amazon Music and Kindle, so I downloaded the APKs from apkmirror.com instead. Depends if you are happy doing this or not. I scanned all the APKs at VirusTotal.com first. If you chose a reputable mirror site and check the APKs at virustotal.com, then I think it is reasonably safe. Both Music and Kindle work fine on the Passport when installed from the APKs, I don't know why they don't work from Amazon's own appstore. Again, odd!
    10-17-16 06:38 AM
    I had the same problem with Amazon Music and Kindle, so I downloaded the APKs from apkmirror.com instead. Depends if you are happy doing this or not. I scanned all the APKs at VirusTotal.com first. If you chose a reputable mirror site and check the APKs at virustotal.com, then I think it is reasonably safe. Both Music and Kindle work fine on the Passport when installed from the APKs, I don't know why they don't work from Amazon's own appstore. Again, odd!
    I was finally able to get the App Store one to work, but it only works some times and the Amazon Store app still will not load at all (bearing in mind these were pre-installed on the phone). One time it will open fine and other times all I get is this green loading bar on a black screen before it shuts the app down. I haven't found anything on there that I want anyway, but it would be nice to have. I have also considering using those APK sites (as I have found quite a few), but I was also concerned over their reliability (viruses like you mentioned, etc.).
    10-17-16 09:51 AM
    I would consider installing the Amazon Store app from an APK site too. It doesn't sound like you have anything to lose.
    It was interesting that the Amazon Store and Amazon Appstore apps were both quite old versions, as installed on my Passport originally, were quite old versions vs the ones on my Q5 and wouldn't update. In the end I downloaded the latest versions as APKs, and once again they worked fine on my Passport. It seems Amazon has a blind spot about Passports and prevent their apps from installing or updating.... even though the same apps run fine from APKs! As ever, odd.
    10-18-16 05:16 AM
    I would consider installing the Amazon Store app from an APK site too. It doesn't sound like you have anything to lose.
    It was interesting that the Amazon Store and Amazon Appstore apps were both quite old versions, as installed on my Passport originally, were quite old versions vs the ones on my Q5 and wouldn't update. In the end I downloaded the latest versions as APKs, and once again they worked fine on my Passport. It seems Amazon has a blind spot about Passports and prevent their apps from installing or updating.... even though the same apps run fine from APKs! As ever, odd.
    So here is a (probably dumb) question - will any .apk file install and run on the Passport or is that just a generic file type? I'm trying to get a visual voicemail app and cannot find anything. The one that I want (Cricket Visual Voicemail) is readily available, but the sites I find it on say it requires Android and it is an .apk file.
    10-21-16 07:56 PM
    Others will know more about this than me, but the important thing to remember is a) you need to find a "naked" APK file - The Google Play app store for instance doesn't give you the APK file, it just goes ahead and installs it on your phone. And it doesn't work with Blackberries anyway, although there are workarounds, such as Cobalt (mentioned above) and Snap, if you feel confident installing these.

Otherwise you need to find the APK file on a mirror site. The APK should have everything an Android phone needs to install it - it is a package of all the relevant Android files. It should also be possible to install it on your Blackberry. However, your Blackberry can only run Android apps up to Android 4. So, if your voicemail app is written for a more recent version of Android, it won't work on your Blackberry. Also, if the Android app uses features that differ a lot between Blackberries and Android phones - the example often given is mapping services for instance - then it also won't work.

All you can do is try and find the naked APK on a mirror site, check it is the real deal (and not a virus or malware in disguise), and see if it works on your Blackberry... personally I look for my APKs on apkmirror.com and then check they are not malware on virustotal.com.
    10-24-16 03:35 AM