01-03-15 07:50 PM
244 ... 78910
tools
    This is particularly absurd, given that following the failure of the Fire Phone, BlackBerry are likely to quite quickly become the majority users of the store.
    Not anytime soon.

Most of the Appstore users would regular Android users that are tied in by FAOTD downloads and multiple device use rules. Amazon would want to cater to these users.
    10-28-14 02:55 PM
    I think he was thinking majority using the whole ecosystem of apps, not the FAOTD hunters who aren't normally after anything except the free app.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 03:03 PM
    I think he was thinking majority using the whole ecosystem of apps, not the FAOTD hunters who aren't normally after anything except the free app.

Posted via CB10
    That's what I'm referring to.

A lot of Android folks still use the Appstore because it's family friendly. It's very easy to share apps. It is also getting some interesting exclusives (like NBA 2K15) and unique specials (like Republique) help.

Not to mention stock Fire device users.

If I had to guess, BB10 users would not be anywhere close to the majority of people that use the Appstore.
    10-28-14 03:21 PM
    I'm pretty sure that the BlackBerry userbase, however miniscule it may be, surpasses the Amazon native device userbase. You can't count the entire Android userbase here. The Amazon App Store is primarily designed to cater to Amazon devices, but that number is likely smaller than the eventual number of BlackBerry 10 users.

Regardless, this does not change the fact that the restrictions don't make a shrewd of sense. BlackBerry isn't even competing with Amazon devices in any way, so why restrict access. Obviously, the developers themselves could be doing this, but it still does not explain it. These are perfectly running apps that we're talking about.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 03:30 PM
    I'm pretty sure that the BlackBerry userbase, however miniscule it may be, surpasses the Amazon native device userbase. You can't count the entire Android userbase here. The Amazon App Store is primarily designed to cater to Amazon devices, but that number is likely smaller than the eventual number of BlackBerry 10 users.

Regardless, this does not change the fact that the restrictions don't make a shrewd of sense. BlackBerry isn't even competing with Amazon devices in any way, so why restrict access. Obviously, the developers themselves could be doing this, but it still does not explain it. These are perfectly running apps that we're talking about.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, it does confuse me.

All I can think is that (as has been theorized) the apps are being worked on to be compatible, or the "partnership" is more one-sided than we'd like.
    10-28-14 04:08 PM
    Yes, it does confuse me.

All I can think is that (as has been theorized) the apps are being worked on to be compatible, or the "partnership" is more one-sided than we'd like.
    Except Groupon, Netflix, Tripadvisor, even Instagram, all work 100%, which leads me to latter being the case.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 04:39 PM
    Except Groupon, Netflix, Tripadvisor, even Instagram, all work 100%, which leads me to latter being the case.

Posted via CB10
    They know BlackBerry is still sitting on a large pot of cash and are hoping John Chen will loosen the pursestrings...good luck, JC is no Microsoft who can afford to "buy" app developers.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    10-28-14 04:47 PM
    One would think that with Amazon App store being "official" store for BB10 as of now that the app access for the users should have exponentially increased.
    The way it looks like is that pretty much nothing has changed in terms of the "app misery".
    It seems to me that this indeed smells like a one sided approach and only Amazon seems to get some benefits, if at all.
    I think Amazon doesn't take this as serious as BlackBerry does. They know that BlackBerry "needs" a partner like that. Amazon does not necessarily "need" BlackBerry. They have done just fine without them.
    Whether this is all still "new" or not, fact is the Passport is officially released and this whole appstore thing is going backwards. One epic fail after the other. This whole BlackBerry is cursed it seems, because nothing seems to help it becoming successful. Mr. Chen is no doubt a capable person, but it seems some things like marketing is just impossible for this company to pull off no matter what. It's just a shame...

Posted via CB10
    dejanh likes this.
    10-28-14 05:25 PM
    Agreed. Something fishy is up. We have access but we really don't.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 06:48 PM
    Netflix is now available for me! (I assume that means 'for everyone' now.) Great to see that with updates these apps are becoming available after all!

BlackBerry Passport signed @ C0007CC89
    Attachment 312169
    11-04-14 08:13 PM
    Netflix is now available for me! (I assume that means 'for everyone' now.) Great to see that with updates these apps are becoming available after all!

Attachment 312169
    Available for me as well now. No Groupon, Tripadvisor, or Instagram still.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 08:16 PM
    Unfortunately it displays all videos at 1:1 all the time, cropping the sides. Lol, tapping the zoom icon doesn't do anything. Well at least we have an official point for feedback now!
    Amazon Appstore & Passport: Unbelievable situation!-img_20141105_023305.png

11-04-14 08:34 PM
    How do get Netflix on my passport?

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 10:40 PM
    Hahahahahaha!

Well as was to be expected, Netflix for the Passport has been pulled again from Amazon. Well it wasn't working properly so let's hope the next update will be better.

11-05-14 06:25 AM
    Hahahahahaha!

Well as was to be expected, Netflix for the Passport has been pulled again from Amazon. Well it wasn't working properly so let's hope the next update will be better.

Yup, it's gone again. I think the only reason why it temporarily became available was because Netflix updated their app and forgot to set the Passport as a device that is not allowed. I don't believe Netflix and Amazon have any plans to make any of these apps available to the BlackBerry Passport. Whether they are working or not doesn't really matter. It's a funny partnership this business with Amazon.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 02:18 PM
    "AMAZON" Instant Video isn?t supported on the Passport. Video on the PP is pretty much useless outside of native apps and Youtube. Hopefully as the PP gains in popularity this will change.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 02:28 PM
    Wtf

Z30 STA 100-2
    11-08-14 03:08 PM
    I don't think this is anywhere close to accurate. The Amazon native user base would include devices like the Kindle Fire tablet. Amazon sells a boatload of those things every quarter. I think to date, Amazon has sold something like 50 million Kindle tablets.

What is the total number of BB10 devices sold since the introduction of BB10?
    11-08-14 03:50 PM
    I don't think this is anywhere close to accurate. The Amazon native user base would include devices like the Kindle Fire tablet. Amazon sells a boatload of those things every quarter. I think to date, Amazon has sold something like 50 million Kindle tablets.

What is the total number of BB10 devices sold since the introduction of BB10?
    Well, I'll admit when I'm wrong. Since inception, Kindle Fire devices probably have in excess of 60 million devices sold. BlackBerry maybe has what, 6 million BlackBerry 10 devices since January 2013?

There is one thing to keep in mind though. Tablet shipments are dropping, and Amazon Phone sales have been abysmal. If executed correctly, BlackBerry could become a significant chunk of the Amazon user base. However, BlackBerry devices are not integrated with the Amazon ecosystem so they don't benefit Amazon nearly the same as their native device sales.

We'll see what happens I suppose.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 06:29 PM
    I've noticed the same, seems the app store is crippled. Can't find a lot of apps that are there when on the passport.
    Same here. Cannot find Netflix (was able to find Shazam but it doesn't launch properly).
    11-12-14 11:09 AM
    Netflix is on 1market. Works perfectly on my passport

Download 1market apk and you have access to zap huge library.

Posted with my 6 week old superb Passport!
    andy957 likes this.
    11-12-14 11:12 AM
    Sorry, where does one get the 1market apk?
    11-12-14 11:15 AM
    http://download.cnet.com/1Mobile-Mar...-75450771.html

Posted with my 6 week old superb Passport!
    andy957 likes this.
    11-12-14 11:30 AM
    WOW, THANKS guys. Worked like a charm, and the Netflix shows/movies that I'm watching (so far) aren't letter-boxed. Awesome. Only issue is that now I have 3 App Stores from which to choose, but maybe this is even better than Amazon. Time shall tell. Thank you VERY much.
    Last edited by andy957; 11-12-14 at 07:09 PM.
    11-12-14 11:40 AM
    If the movies aren't showing up letterboxed, there are portions being cut off from the sides of the screen. That's the reason they don't release if for the Passport. With the most recent version on this OS you only see 85% of the video.

Passport signed @ C0007CC89
    app_Developer and andy957 like this.
    11-12-14 01:28 PM
244 ... 78910