Amazon will care about this. They've just added a quarter of a million customers through the Passport alone, the idea they won't care is wrong, it's not how they do business.

Posted via CB10
    alternator77 likes this.
    09-28-14 07:00 AM
    What I don't get is why these app stores FORBID downloading some apps on some devices rather than just throw warnings and let the customer decide whether or not they want to cope with screen stretching or squishing or scrolling if an app isn't optimized for a certain form factor. I get that some apps can't be downloaded to devices that lack specific Android APIs etc, but not just because of hardware limitations.
    09-28-14 08:27 AM
    What I don't get is why these app stores FORBID downloading some apps on some devices rather than just throw warnings and let the customer decide whether or not they want to cope with screen stretching or squishing or scrolling if an app isn't optimized for a certain form factor. I get that some apps can't be downloaded to devices that lack specific Android APIs etc, but not just because of hardware limitations.
    I would imagine some of it has to do with what the developers authorize. In other words if you wrote something that was designed for a 16:9 display, you should be able to block people from downloading it onto a device that doesn't natively support that resolution because you don't want to support users in other resolutions.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3337
    jmr1015 and TheScionicMan like this.
    09-28-14 08:50 AM
    Q: Why is a partnership with Amazon not as good as having your own app store?
    A: This.

Q: How long is this going to take to fix?
    A:
    If Blackberry can fix it with a software upgrade, then not very long
    If Amazon has to fix it by changing something in the app store then a little longer.
    If the app developers have to fix it by changing their code then much much longer.
    anon(4315288) and jmr1015 like this.
    09-28-14 09:03 AM
    Developers would hate that because users would quickly tap through the warnings and still complain that the app doesn't work properly.

Developers want some control over the devices their apps will run on so they can test properly on the range of devices they support.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    Northernlady likes this.
    09-28-14 09:04 AM
    That conversation was painful to read through I am certain it was even harder to sit through. All of that switching back and forth is unacceptable and what is obvious from it all is that these reps have absolutely no training on BlackBerry devices which should also be considered unacceptable. The one rep didn't even seem to know what a Q10 and Passport was.

I hope this gets the attention it deserves.
    WWBlondieDo likes this.
    09-28-14 09:15 AM
    You're right randall, it was pretty irritating. I even got sent back to the same rep at one point. He just forwarded me again without any further assistance. I was sure I heard at one point BlackBerry intended to send some extra support to Amazon to deal specifically with these types of questions. But obviously they didn't.

Going to send out some emails today to developers of Netflix and Kindle directly, to see if they can add the Passport support from their site. So far I have only been able to find one app for which the situation is reversed (not available Q/Z, available PP).

In doubt whether I should change the thread title to something less dramatic, but I would like this to keep getting some attention until some sort of response is found.
    09-28-14 09:46 AM
    If i recall correctly they (Amazon) is trying to convert as many apps as possible for best compatibility for the Passport. These might be the few apps they havent quite got done yet. It sucks that they dont work and many who are not aware of side loading will be very upset.
    Could be a part of the deal. And I'm sure Amazon would want their Kindle app to run as well as it can. Why they don't have a native Kindle app on BlackBerry is beyond me, however.

Posted with Passport via CB10
    09-28-14 09:50 AM
    Performance issues! Maybe they need to copy the code from the developer portion of Android and put it in Blackberry 10
    09-28-14 09:53 AM
    Can someone else confirm this?!
    Yes, I have encountered this as well. The apps only show as compatible with the Q10 when viewed on amazon.com and don't show up in the Amazon app store at all when searched on the Passport. If sideloaded from the Q to the Passport, they run fine.

Highly annoying.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 10:04 AM
    I have tried snap Amazon and bbworld and still having inconsistent results with finding apps and getting apps to work. Google services is a huge issue on my passport were it really was not on my 30 or 10. Also I travel a lot and can't get Hulu to work. It loads up but won't play? Also my real estate apps don't work. Realtor.com does not show up but when use snap it won't work. Zillow won't work either the same way as before. When you zoom in on a property you can't select the property to see fact. There seems to be a lot of issues with apps. I will give the passport another week of testing to see if it is a keeper.
    09-28-14 10:07 AM
    And the saga continues with Netflix* Customer Support. They seem to be clueless about the Amazon "deal" with BlackBerry. I hope getting in touch personally with app developers/services will make them reconsider. It is so easy too, just whitelist the Passport, it already effin' works on Z/Q devices anyway.
    Amazon Support

Netflix Sasha
    Hi I'm Sasha - your expert problem solver today. Who am I chatting with?
    You
    Hi Sasha, my name is Glenn.
    Netflix Sasha
    Nice to meet you Glenn ;•) How can I help?
    You
    I have a specific question for you today, regarding BlackBerry.
    Netflix Sasha
    Sure go right ahead
    You
    On their latest mobile os, 10.3 the Amazon Appstore is supported.
    You
    I can download Netflix from there on my Q10. But for the new Passport phone it says "uncompatible"
    Netflix Sasha
    I'm sorry netflix is just not supported on Blackberry this time. We use customer feedback to introduce new features and expand our service/movies. I will let me research team know you are interested in this.
    Netflix Sasha
    The app will be in the store because it exists there however.
    You
    Please allow me to specify:
    You
    On my Q10 the Netflix app works great already!
    You
    So I am sure it will also work on the Passport. I hope you can convince your developer team to whitelist the Passport as a compatible device.
    You
    (I downloaded the .apk from Google to test it, and it works perfectly on my Passport). I would just prefer to load it the "legal" way from Amazon.
    You
    That is all I had to say, thanks
    Netflix Sasha
    Yeah we are not on blackberry so I you have the app its a crack.
    Netflix Sasha
    I will pass your feedback to my research team.
    You
    Okay, make sure to tell them BlackBerry now supports the Amazon Appstore!
    Netflix Sasha
    Sure thing and was there anything else I could do to enhance your netflix chat experience?
    You
    Not at this moment.

Still no one who said they had Kindle/Netflix working has shared their OS version, could you please do so we can pinpoint whether this is an OS issue/regional issue or some other?
    09-28-14 10:12 AM
    Glenn, I'm sorry but that guy totally did not get what you were asking for. His comment about an apk downloaded from the official Google Play Store being a crack (what would that be for an app that's available free of charge anyway?) pretty much says it all.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 10:43 AM
    Yeah. BlackBerry has some work to do. I wouldn't really blame the CS guys if they haven't been properly taught or coached wrt the issues at hand.

@BruvvaPete :Channel: C0012176F. Live well
    09-28-14 10:50 AM
    OP: After reading that Amazon Support chat, i can't believe you didn't get ridiculously pissed off with being transferred so much, LOL!

I don't have the patience for that. Good on ya for getting to the bottom of it!

Also this feels like it's more a "new device" problem than anything else. I'm sure it'll get sorted shortly. Though I do suggest new Passport users get a hold of BlackBerry Support and let them know about the issue as quickly as possible.

Good idea to whomever said to PM Bla1ze as well.
    andy957 and bakron1 like this.
    09-28-14 10:54 AM
    Yes you are both right. But that is always a general issue with 1st-contact Support. You never get to the "pro's" unless you have a very specific question and get forwarded to another division.

I am however of this mindset: Contact them, ask them, show them. If no one does this, then support will never happen. And the CB community is perfect for this sort of mass contact, I just hope I can convince some here to do this as well.
    Same goes for native apps which don't yet support the Passport: contact them, tell them you love the app and would love PP support! I might do a separate thread on this, one with a more positive attitude. Remember the Bring me That App! app from the start of BB10? We should start something like that for the PP!
    09-28-14 10:58 AM
    Haven't had any such update on my Passport, are you running 1052 or 1154?
    And to the person that had Netflix show up, what OS are you on? I have it on my Q10, but still can't see it on Passport.

It's good to know OS seems to make a difference here, I just never expected the Passport to get the short end of the stick.

BlackBerry Passport signed.
    Running 10.2.1.2991 on verizon on a z30.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 11:02 AM
    Thanks medic, we had already confirmed that this is an issue affecting Passports, not other BB10 devices. But I did not realise even 10.2.1 supported more Amazon apps. *shrug*
    09-28-14 11:13 AM
    Don't have a good experience with Amazon app store
    All the apps crashed. Then installed snap and same apps work wonderfully.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 11:27 AM
    My Amazon app store didn't initially work. I reinstalled over it. As of now:

Amazon Appstore & Passport: Unbelievable situation!-img_20140928_132434.png

Works fine.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1154

Posted from my Q10, I mean Passport.
    Last edited by ubizmo; 09-28-14 at 02:08 PM.
    bbmtna and vrud like this.
    09-28-14 12:28 PM
    ... if they are not optimized yet for the 1:1 ratio(which is my guess on what the issue is)
    +1. Agree.
    09-28-14 12:39 PM
    kindle installs fine
    no Netflix but Crackle is better
    Printershare blackberry guardian stopped it
    09-28-14 01:50 PM
    My Amazon app store didn't initially work. I reinstalled over it. As of now:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140928_132434.png 
Views:	1505 
Size:	308.7 KB 
ID:	301269

Works fine.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1154

Posted from my Q10, I mean Passport.
    I should mention I had to uninstall and reinstall the amazon app as well. I'd say that they are jacking around with it to make it work better on BlackBerry. I never had that BlackBerry appstore option show up until I did that.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 02:16 PM
    I've sent a PM to Bla1ze with a brief explanation and a link to this thread. I am really hoping he can get some details for us in regards to what is happening.
    bakron1 likes this.
    09-28-14 02:52 PM
    Seriously, somebody PM Bla1ze about this. We need to know what is going on, why, and when the issues will be rectified. I'm sick of having to dance through hoops on BlackBerry to get apps, and finally the Amazon solution was official, but what's the point of saying you have all of these apps if now many are blacklisted from the Passport, especially ones that are perfectly working.

This can't be a coincidence. There must be a concerted effort to do this, and we deserve to know why it's being done.

Posted via CB10
    While I agree ... I'm guestimating this is a quality control situation due to the 1:1 and 1400x1400 display aspect and resolution (respectively).
    09-28-14 02:56 PM
244 12345 ...