If the movies aren't showing up letterboxed, there are portions being cut off from the sides of the screen. That's the reason they don't release if for the Passport. With the most recent version on this OS you only see �85% of the video.

Passport signed @ C0007CC89
    10.3.1 addresses this issue as it offers the ability to format the Android app in the default candybar format. It then properly displays in 16:9.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 02:31 PM
    10.3.1 addresses this issue as it offers the ability to format the Android app in the default candybar format. It then properly displays in 16:9.

Posted via CB10
    I'm assuming 10.3.1 doesn't (or can't) address the 1:1 issue when attempting to "play on" HDMI when using the slimport plugged into a 16:9 TV. I'm guessing the app itself would have to allow the 16:9 video rather than just mirroring the 1:1 screen display. Knowing how nice Netflix likes to play with Blackberry that won't be happening any time soon, if ever.
    11-12-14 02:41 PM
    I'm assuming 10.3.1 doesn't (or can't) address the 1:1 issue when attempting to "play on" HDMI when using the slimport plugged into a 16:9 TV. I'm guessing the app itself would have to allow the 16:9 video rather than just mirroring the 1:1 screen display. Knowing how nice Netflix likes to play with Blackberry that won't be happening any time soon, if ever.
    No it doesn't. I actually reported this as a bug to BlackBerry but they never followed up with me (surprise). There is no reason why Miracast has to be constrained to the default aspect ratio of the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 02:47 PM
    No it doesn't. I actually reported this as a bug to BlackBerry but they never followed up with me (surprise). There is no reason why Miracast has to be constrained to the default aspect ratio of the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    So what do you think needs to get looked at in order to suck just the 16:9 out of the Netflix and Hulu apps so that I can watch a show/movie using my Passport when plugged into my surround sound receiver, which of course is outputted to my 1080 TV. This all worked just fine with my Z10 albeit I could only get 2 channel audio. I ordered a Slimport at the same time as my Passport thinking I'd finally get Netflix 1080/5.1. Unfortunately, I tried this plan using Youtube which worked as it should. Then I loaded up Netflix and you know the rest.

Where's the problem? BBOS, Android runtime, Miracast or some combination?
    11-12-14 03:10 PM
    So what do you think needs to get looked at in order to suck just the 16:9 out of the Netflix and Hulu apps so that I can watch a show/movie using my Passport when plugged into my surround sound receiver, which of course is outputted to my 1080 TV. This all worked just fine with my Z10 albeit I could only get 2 channel audio. I ordered a Slimport at the same time as my Passport thinking I'd finally get Netflix 1080/5.1. Unfortunately, I tried this plan using Youtube which worked as it should. Then I loaded up Netflix and you know the rest.

Where's the problem? BBOS, Android runtime, Miracast or some combination?
    I think that the output aspect ratio for HDMI/Miracast is buggy. I noticed that using Miracast results in the aspect ratio being locked down. Changing it while using HDMI direct does not work properly either. Implementation seems buggered. At this time I don't think anything can be done to work around it.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 03:24 PM
    Dejahn are you sure 10.3.1 does 16:9 for apps? The screenshot I saw only showed three options: regular/zoomed/letterboxed portrait.
    That would not help for video apps, which would need letterboxed landscape. And as far as I know the rotation on the Passport doesn't actually trigger any Android app's Landscape settings either. And the Q/Classic won't even have that option at all.

I really hope it works the way you describe, but let's not get our hopes up. I added this to Icanmakeitbetter long ago, and got feedback that it was a great suggestion but no follow up either.

11-12-14 05:10 PM
    Latest version of Netflix from the Google Play Store.

Amazon Appstore & Passport: Unbelievable situation!-img_20141112_152948.png
    Amazon Appstore & Passport: Unbelievable situation!-img_20141112_153004.png

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 05:31 PM
    Okay cool. That already looks way better than 10.3.0, where it is always full screen/cropped even with the GPlay version.
    Let's hope that means apps like this will finally be unblocked from Amazon when 10.3.1 hits.

11-12-14 05:38 PM
    Okay cool. That already looks way better than 10.3.0, where it is always full screen/cropped even with the GPlay version.
    Let's hope that means apps like this will finally be unblocked from Amazon when 10.3.1 hits.

Consider it "fixed" for playing on the PP, however, the issue for me is playing on another device 16:9. I solved the Netflix problem myself side loading an older version of Netflix for viewing on my PP. Same as in the screen shots.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 06:30 PM
    Consider it "fixed" for playing on the PP, however, the issue for me is playing on another device 16:9. I solved the Netflix problem myself side loading an older version of Netflix for viewing on my PP. Same as in the screen shots.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, the problem is two fold. Without 10.3.1 the latest Netflix does not work at all, but no matter the OS the output resolution and aspect ratio is incorrect when connected to a TV via Miracast and HDMI.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 09:30 PM
    Wow, still some work to be done....

Conclusion after reading through all these pages... :-)

? ? ? Passposted via CB Chen ? ? ?
    11-12-14 09:37 PM
    Wow, still some work to be done....

Conclusion after reading through all these pages... :-)

? ? ? Passposted via CB Chen ? ? ?
    It's one way of putting it. Right now the relationship seems to be very platonic with not much real benefit to BlackBerry unless you're after Android games.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 05:26 AM
    Do not forget to Contact developers if you want them to put their apps in the Amazon store! For big companies that might not have an effect, but smaller developers need to hear from their users about stuff like this.

I already got two apps added to Amazon this way. Couldn't pay for them via GPlay, but now purchased them through Amazon.

11-13-14 05:37 AM
    I downloaded Flight Aware and realized it was an very old version and it just had to be patched to make it work like the version from Google Play Store. What gives?

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 07:55 AM
    Just an update on Netflix. Over the past few weeks it has been Available and removed again for the Passport several times, because each update still doesn't fix errors in the Player.
    I hope that means they are aware of the issue and that it may soon be resolved.

BlackBerry Passport signed @ C0007CC89
    12-11-14 12:21 AM
    Found this on a thread "Streaming Netflix on Passport" where Ntario was nice enough to post this link to a previous Netflix .apk
    The version of Netflix before the most recent update formats the video fine on the passport. Delete the version you have and try this one.
    mega.co.nz/#!gIpQhAbZ!RtvZxo...Dj3sH_23bPXkLM
    Netflix worked awesome on my PP (10.3.0.908)
    01-03-15 06:02 PM
    I'm a nube so not allowed to post links yet so deleted the "https://" from the above link
    01-03-15 06:03 PM
    I know! Isn't it wonderful?! An absolute godsend!

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 06:47 PM
    I was always curious as to why folks were saying netflix was available through amazon app store. Never showed up for me.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 06:50 PM
244 ... 8910