Maybe it's because I'm basically new to #teamblackberry, but I really don't understand the hysteria in all of these threads. There are hiccups and problems with the launch. The Demand was woefully underestimated (though for very good reasons). And there are unforeseen problems (like disappearing apps on the amazon store). Blackberry needs to put out some fires even as they try to ramp up production to meet the demand. But it is completely unreasonable for people to expect them to be able to do this instantly. If this situation continues for the next couple of months, then I could understand people being freaked out about it. But blackberry was only just made aware of this amazon situation. Give them a couple of weeks to get to the bottom of it and get it sorted out. As a long time iphone user (original iphone, purchased the first day they were available), I've seen that even apple (with all it's billions in the bank) has had launches that frustrated their end users.

And look, if this less than perfect launch is simply unacceptable to you (or you don't trust blackberry's ability to fix it), you can always just vote with your dollars and buy an iphone or a nokia phone or whatever. Me? I plan to be happily using my new passport when it (Amazon willing and the creek don't rise) arrives in a few weeks.

People just need to be patient and give Blackberry a chance to get their ducks all back in a row. Oh well, opinions vary I suppose.
    You really are new. The feeling of disappointment and being disgruntled with what is happening stems from years of BlackBerry promising (a) and delivering (b). For BlackBerry, expectations rarely meet reality, and the group that always gets the short end of the stick is the end user. Many did buy the Passport because of a promise of a stronger ecosystem, among other factors. Now that "stronger ecosystem" is being squeezed and our native ecosystem is all but dead. I don't want to have another situation of buying yet another BlackBerry with a promise of greener pastures, only to end up in a pile of dirt instead.

Posted via CB10
    JGoodard, rcab and jmr1015 like this.
    10-08-14 10:47 AM
    Well put ^^^^^

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 01:19 PM
    The partnership might be nothing more than Amazon simply "allowing" BB users to access the Appstore without being shut out. This is conjecture on my part.

But what about developers who might have had negotiations with BBRY collapse re: app bounties? Could they be leaning on Amazon?

Again, all conjecture on my part...
    10-08-14 02:04 PM
    No matter what the reason, the odd part is still that these apps are available to some users/BB10 devices but not all.
    I still haven't seen any convincing reason for why that would ever happen, even hypothetically.

@ dejanh and Allgoodnicknamesaretaken:
    Please don't misunderstand my reason to post this thread in the first place. I do not have any direct influence on BlackBerry and this was simply my way of getting awareness of the situation so the right people could escalate it to the appropriate places.
    I understand that there is no reasonable way to expect BlackBerry to have flawless products immediately after release, but not pointing out a problem might mean it never gets noticed/fixed.

BlackBerry Passport signed @ C0007CC89
    10-08-14 03:17 PM
    No matter what the reason, the odd part is still that these apps are available to some users/BB10 devices but not all.
    I still haven't seen any convincing reason for why that would ever happen, even hypothetically.

@ dejanh and Allgoodnicknamesaretaken:
    Please don't misunderstand my reason to post this thread in the first place. I do not have any direct influence on BlackBerry and this was simply my way of getting awareness of the situation so the right people could escalate it to the appropriate places.
    I understand that there is no reasonable way to expect BlackBerry to have flawless products immediately after release, but not pointing out a problem might mean it never gets noticed/fixed.

Absolutely agree. I'm not saying that the launch is supposed to go without a hitch, but I don't like the trend that seems to emerging with Amazon either. The annoying thing is that nobody is talking.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 11:19 PM
    I got my Passport this afternoon and after I found several apps missing not just from the Amazon app store but BlackBerry world as well, I stumbled into this thread.

After reading through 9 pages of comments, I have to say that I am shocked at the number of 1) people making excuses for BlackBerry and Amazon and 2) people who don't own the new device either questioning those that do or suggesting we're doing something wrong.

The fact is simply this: the Amazon App Store is being billed as BlackBerry's solution to the app gap that we've suffered through since the launch of BlackBerry 10. Regardless of the existence of Snap, 1MobileMarket, or the ability to install apks downloaded from whatever website you choose, the Amazon app store is pre-loaded onto the passport to provide access to Android apps. That's it, period. The average user is not tech savvy enough to go through the run around required to get their apps from third party sources, nor should they have to be. Now no matter who you feel is responsible for making those apps available, if they work on previous hardware - especially the Q10 which has the same aspect ratio - they should work on the new phone too. This applies not just to the Amazon store, but BlackBerry world as well. Flipboard, Angry Birds, Kindle... these are apps that are available for the Q10. Why release the Passport with a limited suite of apps if compatible versions already exist?

In the world of mobile phones, there is no longer such a thing as making your early adopters wait til you get your **** together. You do that, and people give up on you. This fix needs to happen and damned quick. The sharks have been circling over this launch! BlackBerry needs to get out of hot water before one of them bites

Posted via CB10
    jmr1015 and superbaneling like this.
    10-09-14 12:15 AM
    What's even more ironic is that the reviewers were also pointing how, while not perfect, the app gap is closing with Amazon. Some of them even referred to Netflix and Waze, neither of which are available for the Passport in Amazon App Store.

Posted via CB10
    superbaneling likes this.
    10-09-14 12:48 AM
    Let's not go away from the main issue okay? Some Passport users have been able to see and install these apps, but not all of us. That means there is something much stranger going on than just someone blocking these apps.

Here is stuff that I have ruled out:
    OS - unrelated. I have tried three OS versions on my Passport, none of them showed the apps. Q10 on same OS did show them.
    Region - unrelated. Can see apps on Q10 but not Passport.
    Compatibility - unrelated, some users confirmed the apps are available and working for them.

10-09-14 02:30 AM
    ShadowRaine,
    Blackberry was only made aware of this situation like 2 or 3 days ago. They are investigating it. Maybe it's a software glitch (like AT&T failing to recognize the blackberry's IMIE #) that will need to be fixed (and that might take time to track down and debug). Maybe developers are pulling their apps (something blackberry has zero control over) in order to adjust their code so that their apps provide a more optimal experience on the square screen (maybe instead of having an app that just functions, they want to offer an app that functions well -- again something that takes time). They would be smart to do this because the blackberry is a hit, and I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that we'll see copycat android rip-offs with a big square form factor in some months). And yes, maybe it's that developers are pulling their apps because they don't want to deal with 20,000 emails with tech support issues from whiney blackberry users complaining all the time that their apps aren't perfect on the passport. If so, that's something Blackberry might have to get creative to fix (Again, something that will take time). Maybe it's that developers don't want to support the blackberry until they can do some product testing on an actual device (and you might have noticed, it's kinda hard to come by these days -- again, a situation that will take time to address).

The point isn't that this situation is good, or even acceptable. It's not. The point is that blackberry is a company with finite resources that is currently deeply overwhelmed with the demand for their product, a demand they simply didn't anticipate. The point isn't that the complaints about this situation are invalid. The point is that the idea that it can be fixed instantly are just, well, not something that correspond to any sort of real world reality.

The simple truth is that it will probably take blackberry several weeks to get their production ramped up to meet demand, and to get these sort of issues (AT&T issues, amazon store issues, etc...) sorted out. What do you expect blackberry to do? There is no magic wand they can wave to make these problems disappear. And here's the funny thing, you can get around the amazon store issue by loading snap. No that's not an optimum solution, but it is A solution that works. If you're not willing to wait these issues out (or don't trust Blackberry to address them), you can return your passport (or maybe put it on ebay and make a nice profit). Personally, I'm willing to wait a few weeks to give blackberry a REASONABLE chance to address these issues.
    JGoodard likes this.
    10-09-14 08:23 AM
    Thank you trashy Amazon app store you forced me how to learn to side load. Weird how they blacklisted those apps. I to was looking for netflix but it wasn't there. But now I have everything I want with SNAP.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 08:53 AM
    Any update here would be welcome. Even an "we mentioned this to the right people and they are working on it!" would be much appreciated.

Since I got my Passport I went from .1052 to .1172 and now .1418, and still not one of these 'missing' apps have appeared.

10-12-14 07:03 PM
    Any update here would be welcome. Even an "we mentioned this to the right people and they are working on it!" would be much appreciated.

Since I got my Passport I went from .1052 to .1172 and now .1418, and still not one of these 'missing' apps have appeared.

Same here. I'd like an update too. Any news at this point.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 07:08 PM
    Agree with earlier comments, this has to be fixed soon. Majority of the people want t experience to be simple and easy to use.

I was disappointed to find out that HBO GO and Watch ESPN aren't available. At least,Fox Sport and Nbc Live Extra are available. I hope to see LINE to be available soon too. Gotta use it to stay in touch with folks and friends at home. This is getting very popular every where. Lots of my friends at home now refuse to use BBM....

Let's hope BlackBerry do something about it soon.

Posted via CB10 with BlackBerry PP
    10-12-14 10:12 PM
    Is SNAP really that hard to install? Took me a few minutes tops to set it up. I get you feel like BlackBerry promised the amazon app store to be the great savior and it's not (though it does have its value), but come on.....in the time it took some of you to type out some of these posts, you would have had SNAP all set up. Do it, move on with your life.

Posted via CB10
    JGoodard likes this.
    10-13-14 01:45 AM
    Is SNAP really that hard to install? Took me a few minutes tops to set it up. I get you feel like BlackBerry promised the amazon app store to be the great savior and it's not (though it does have its value), but come on.....in the time it took some of you to type out some of these posts, you would have had SNAP all set up. Do it, move on with your life.

Posted via CB10
    Let me say this again...

GOOGLE PLAY STORE APPS HAVE GOOGLE SERVICES DEPENDENCIES THAT CAUSE MANY ISSUES ON BLACKBERRY DEVICES BECAUSE WE NEITHER HAVE SUPPORT FOR NOR CAN INSTALL GOOGLE PLAY SERVICES

Hence, as great as Snap is, it's not an ideal solution.

Posted via CB10
    Ben Bradley 66 likes this.
    10-13-14 02:56 AM
    @ tavisdunn: I had Snap installed to my Passport even before I looked at the Amazon Appstore. My initial intention was this: use Amazon to install most apps and use Snap for those not available.

Which is exactly what I did. On both my Q10 and Passport. That is how I found this issue in the first place.
    When I realised I could install different apps on my two BB10 devices running 10.3, and that the leaked Q10 version actually showed most apps, I decided to take the time to write this.

I hope the amount of supporting claims, screen shots and confirmations in this thread can persuade people it is not "BS".
    _____
    Of course the issue with GPlay Services is another separate issue why Amazon apps are preferred on BB10. Not all Amazon apps remove them properly, but most do and it allows them to work better on BlackBerry devices.

10-13-14 05:48 AM
    Easy as it is, some folks would rather not deal with SNAP.
    10-16-14 12:32 AM
    Agree with earlier comments, this has to be fixed soon. Majority of the people want t experience to be simple and easy to use.

I was disappointed to find out that HBO GO and Watch ESPN aren't available. At least,Fox Sport and Nbc Live Extra are available. I hope to see LINE to be available soon too. Gotta use it to stay in touch with folks and friends at home. This is getting very popular every where. Lots of my friends at home now refuse to use BBM....

Let's hope BlackBerry do something about it soon.

Posted via CB10 with BlackBerry PP
    I don't know if you're familiar with Snap, but you can get LINE there and it works perfectly.

Another suggestion is to contact the developer and ask them to publish it on the Amazon store. Many are not even aware that it exists.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 12:39 AM
    Progress!
    Amazon Appstore & Passport: Unbelievable situation!-img_20141016_115058.png
    The Kindle app just became available in my region after an update that seems to have added localised language support!
    In the case of Kindle, maybe that is the only thing they are holding back for, translations?

First app that has appeared on my Passport from the list of "incompatible" apps, so good news!

Timbosaurus, HotFix and RAUB like this.
    10-16-14 05:54 AM
    Progress!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141016_115058.png 
Views:	674 
Size:	332.5 KB 
ID:	306451
    The Kindle app just became available in my region after an update that seems to have added localised language support!
    In the case of Kindle, maybe that is the only thing they are holding back for, translations?

First app that has appeared on my Passport from the list of "incompatible" apps, so good news!

Hopefully a sign of things to come.

They REALLY need to have this stuff ironed out by the time 10.3.1 hits or this issue will blow up in their faces for more than just Passport users.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3337
    10-16-14 07:05 AM
    Hopefully a sign of things to come.

They REALLY need to have this stuff ironed out by the time 10.3.1 hits or this issue will blow up in their faces for more than just Passport users.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3337
    Should have been ironed out before the release of the Passport. This **** is ridiculous. I know that even iOS 8 has had some problems, but BB is not in Apple's cosy financial position.

@BruvvaPete :Channel: C0012176F. Live well
    crackberry_geek and dejanh like this.
    10-17-14 03:15 AM
    Any official statement on this issue yet? Many popular apps are still unavailable to the Passport. I did notice Kindle became available but I'm not convinced it means anything other than Amazon decided to make it available.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 09:58 AM
    Wow, looks like more apps are being removed. Netflix is now completely gone, even from my cloud. Groupon also disappeared and is no longer searchable. In fact 14 apps disappeared in the last 2-3 days. How come we still don't have an official statement about this?

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 09:14 AM
    This is particularly absurd, given that following the failure of the Fire Phone, BlackBerry are likely to quite quickly become the majority users of the store.
    10-28-14 12:49 PM
    This is particularly absurd, given that following the failure of the Fire Phone, BlackBerry are likely to quite quickly become the majority users of the store.
    No doubt! I'm going to PM Bla1ze about this again and see if he's been able to get to the bottom of it. It's actually kind of ridiculous because I have this "official" app store but I'm finding that (except for games), I'm forced to use more and more apps from Snap and Google Play Store. With Netflix disappearing completely and the newest versions from the Google Play Store not being compatible with the Passport, we actually just lost Netflix completely unless you've saved an older APK somewhere. It feels like we're regressing back to the days of BlackBerry OS 10.1 and 10.2.
    10-28-14 12:59 PM
244 ... 678910