I would not get all worked up about it, I don't think Mr Chen would risk the success of the passport because of an app issue in the Amazon store. I tend to agree it might be because they are optimizing the core apps for the passport. Just my two cents.

Sent from my awesome passport on T Mobile USA (10.3.0.1154)
    That is more then likely the cause.
    09-27-14 05:58 PM
    Screw that. Why? The Amazon App Store is supposed to be the official store.

Posted via CB10
    The amazon app store is terrible, regardless of if it is the official store snap is about 1000x better and has a much nicer interface. I appreciate the amazon store for the simple people who don't know how to sideload but any serious user should have no trouble loading snap

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 06:02 PM
    Screw that. Why? The Amazon App Store is supposed to be the official store.

Posted via CB10
    Are you saying the Amazon AppStore is now the official repository for BlackBerry applications and BlackBerry World is abandoned? Are you saying only Google Android applications will be available going forward for all BlackBerry 10 smartphones?
    wincyUt likes this.
    09-27-14 07:01 PM
    I found this to be true on day one with my passport. I couldn't find Netflix using a standard search. I did however go to 'My apps - cloud ' and then was able to download Netflix without an issue.

In the instance of the current free app - print share. I used a seperate device to "purchase" it using my amazon account (using a computer will work also) I was than able to download it to my device.

Posted via CrackBerry App

*edit - I was wrong, I loaded Print Share on a different device. It isn't available in my Cloud list for the Passport.
    Last edited by bbmtna; 09-27-14 at 07:37 PM.
    09-27-14 07:06 PM
    Are you saying the Amazon AppStore is now the official repository for BlackBerry applications and BlackBerry World is abandoned? Are you saying only Google Android applications will be available going forward for all BlackBerry 10 smartphones?
    The poster used an incorrect wording. BB10 had two official app store. Blackberry world and amazon app store.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-27-14 07:08 PM
    I did however go to 'My apps - cloud ' and then was able to download Netflix without an issue.
    Are you sure about that? Because I downloaded all three apps I mentioned on my Q10 to test. So they do show in my Amazon cloud (Q10/webbrowser), but not when I look on the Passport; the 'cloud' list on my Passport is a lot shorter.
    09-27-14 07:22 PM
    You guys should calm down and quit acting like it's the end of world. SMH. There are other alternatives for downloading apps. Inhale and Exhale!!!
    09-27-14 07:30 PM
    I don't have my Passport yet however, can someone please download and install Amazon app store from their website OTA and see if that changes anything..

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 07:32 PM
    Are you sure about that? Because I downloaded all three apps I mentioned on my Q10 to test. So they do show in my Amazon cloud (Q10/webbrowser), but not when I look on the Passport; the 'cloud' list on my Passport is a lot shorter.
    Yup,
    Take a look, Netflix is there

Amazon Appstore & Passport: Unbelievable situation!-img_20140927_203138.png

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 07:32 PM
    But you are right about some of the others.

When I open the Amazon APP store on my galaxy tab, I have 38 apps listed, my Passport has 29 listed.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 07:35 PM
    You guys should calm down and quit acting like it's the end of world. SMH. There are other alternatives for downloading apps. Inhale and Exhale!!!
    I haven't noticed anyone acting in a such a manner. To some loading Snap or downloading from a website may not be a suitable option based on tech experience and so forth. I'm not one of those people.

I think the concern that people have was that with 10.3 users would be able to get APPS that they previous weren't privy to, only to find out that it now requires a bit more work.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 07:41 PM
    The amazon app store is terrible, regardless of if it is the official store snap is about 1000x better and has a much nicer interface. I appreciate the amazon store for the simple people who don't know how to sideload but any serious user should have no trouble loading snap

Posted via CB10
    This is very narrow, short term thinking. Investment into the Amazon app store is good for both BlackBerry and for Amazon. The Android runtime is an integral part of BlackBerry, and we need apps that are independent from Google Play Services, which Amazon provides. Likewise, BlackBerry still holds a much larger user base than Amazon, and can be a serious boost to the Google-free Android app ecosystem. In essence, BlackBerry legitimizes the Amazon App Store beyond the levels it can achieve on its own, particularly now that the Amazon Fire phone failed badly. In fact, if done right, the partnership between BlackBerry and Amazon can create an actual proper alternative to the dominance of the Apple and Google app stores. Note, I am aware of the Windows store, but that is a closed platform that isn't based on the base currently powering 80% of all smartphones.

Back on topic, BlackBerry and Amazon partnership promised access to all Amazon Android apps. Not "some" Android apps, and especially when the "some" does not include major apps. Finally, no user should have to go through hoops or rely on BlackBerry World to have to get Android apps. On the consumer side, the Amazon App Store is the store to use. This was made clear even during the Passport launch.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 07:58 PM
    if you already have Netflix on your amazon account (through z10 or whatever), it will show up on your amazon account page on your passport amazon appstore and you can install it. but otherwise if you just search Netflix in amazon appstore, it doesn't show up
    09-27-14 08:10 PM
    This is very narrow, short term thinking. Investment into the Amazon app store is good for both BlackBerry and for Amazon. The Android runtime is an integral part of BlackBerry, and we need apps that are independent from Google Play Services, which Amazon provides. Likewise, BlackBerry still holds a much larger user base than Amazon, and can be a serious boost to the Google-free Android app ecosystem. In essence, BlackBerry legitimizes the Amazon App Store beyond the levels it can achieve on its own, particularly now that the Amazon Fire phone failed badly. In fact, if done right, the partnership between BlackBerry and Amazon can create an actual proper alternative to the dominance of the Apple and Google app stores. Note, I am aware of the Windows store, but that is a closed platform that isn't based on the base currently powering 80% of all smartphones.

Back on topic, BlackBerry and Amazon partnership promised access to all Amazon Android apps. Not "some" Android apps, and especially when the "some" does not include major apps. Finally, no user should have to go through hoops or rely on BlackBerry World to have to get Android apps. On the consumer side, the Amazon App Store is the store to use. This was made clear even during the Passport launch.

Posted via CB10
    You don't honestly expect any device launch to be without any hitch, do you? People can raise legitimate issues or problems without hyperventilating. This issue is not a catastrophe, so I'm sure that once BlackBerry becomes aware of it, they will address it and resolve it quickly.
    09-27-14 08:35 PM
    I haven't noticed anyone acting in a such a manner. To some loading Snap or downloading from a website may not be a suitable option based on tech experience and so forth. I'm not one of those people.

I think the concern that people have was that with 10.3 users would be able to get APPS that they previous weren't privy to, only to find out that it now requires a bit more work.

Posted via CB10
    Again nothing is perfect and I'm sure this issue will be resolved by BlackBerry.
    09-27-14 08:38 PM
    Noticed today that the amazon app store on my z30 had an update. When I hit update 2 app symbols showed up. One said amazon, the other said blackberry appstore. I clicked on the BlackBerry one. I don't see BlackBerry World being abandoned though.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 08:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    The business professionals don't give a crap and most likely don't know about Snap. They just want their apps to work from the other "official" store.

@BruvvaPete :Channel: C0012176F. Live well
    09-27-14 08:55 PM
    Oh, no! The "Amazon App Store Gate"! Run for cover! =0)

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 10:36 PM
    Oh, no! The "Amazon App Store Gate"! Run for cover! =0)

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry does not need any bad press, so whatever the heck is going on here better get sorted out fast.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 12:00 AM
    You don't honestly expect any device launch to be without any hitch, do you? People can raise legitimate issues or problems without hyperventilating. This issue is not a catastrophe, so I'm sure that once BlackBerry becomes aware of it, they will address it and resolve it quickly.
    Exactly. I mean it's not that the date of the Passport's launch had been known for ages, right? Also, absolutely no one seemed to have one before the official launch which is what all the reviews popping up on launch day & written by people who claimed they had used it for the past couple of weeks clearly show. So yeah - I too think that such a minor issue with such an unimportant part of the full "Passport package" should not be exaggerated. BlackBerry, Amazon or God-knows-who can fix that with the launch of the Classic, that new slider rumored to be launched next spring, with the launch of the Z50, the release of OS 10.4 or 10.5 or 20.0, in 2015, 2020 or whenever they have time for that. I'm also absolutely positive that not being able to install important apps will surely accelerate sales - not that BlackBerry would need that though.

Or maybe I'm wrong.
    dejanh, scrapmetal58 and lnichols like this.
    09-28-14 01:08 AM
    I think all will be well by Wednesday when the phone is officially released with the carrier comparison. Let them refine and smooth it all out for the passport. I'd rather that then a half asssed working app. Let's just see what happens
    09-28-14 01:19 AM
    Noticed today that the amazon app store on my z30 had an update. When I hit update 2 app symbols showed up. One said amazon, the other said blackberry appstore. I clicked on the BlackBerry one. I don't see BlackBerry World being abandoned though.

Posted via CB10
    Haven't had any such update on my Passport, are you running 1052 or 1154?
    And to the person that had Netflix show up, what OS are you on? I have it on my Q10, but still can't see it on Passport.

It's good to know OS seems to make a difference here, I just never expected the Passport to get the short end of the stick.

BlackBerry Passport signed.
    09-28-14 02:46 AM
    Use Snap.or 1markerplace. They have Netflix, Kindle, etc

Posted via CB10
    Yep

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 03:03 AM
    The business professionals don't give a crap and most likely don't know about Snap. They just want their apps to work from the other "official" store.

@BruvvaPete :Channel: C0012176F. Live well
    Maybe executives or professionals that have 5 or 6 different devices don't care, but there are many professional users of BlackBerry10 devices that want the best of both worlds with them in one device. Other manufacturers will catch up to the communications capabilities of bb10. I am willing to put up with some slower app loading of android apps, however it i wasn't able to run some android apps, i would be looking much more seriously at other devices.

Official 10.2.1.2977
    09-28-14 05:03 AM
    I have left crackberry for sometime cos I switch to Andriod since the launch of Note. Passport make me come back. i got mine yesterday after spending whole night on the review (also watch the full length of launch by John Chen).

Short comment on the hardware and 10.3 OS; nice to hold in hand and very smooth and fast UI.

Short comment on Amazon store; need to work harder. Eg, can't even customize the candy crash sage to Passport screen size probably.

I really have great hope on Passport and let's pray hard that John Chen keep his promises on the apps. "One free app per day"

Cheers
    wincyUt likes this.
    09-28-14 05:51 AM
244 1234 ...