I imagine one of the things BlackBerry is hoping for with this Amazon deal is that it will persuade Android developers to add bug fixes to their app specifically for BB10.
    Like: even if some/a lot/most apps are not 100% compatible at the start, by once again making it easier for devs to get their apps looked at (and bought) by BB10 users, it may help persuade them to optimise their apps for BlackBerry (1:1 screen, caching etc.).
    Because it will save them the time of making and maintaining another separate build.
    I don’t think that this is going to happen on an acceptable scale. It’s already difficult enough to support multiple versions of Android, let alone devices. Developers don’t need yet another batch of devices, especially if these don’t even even run on the same operating system. It’s BlackBerry who needs to make sure that the Android runtime runs just like Android.

I think it’s more likely that many Android developers will simply avoid mentioning BlackBerry altogether or refuse to endorse it. As soon as they start advertising their apps for BlackBerry, they will need to accept customer complaints, even if the fault lies with BlackBerry. Investing time in quality control for BlackBerry 10 devices will probably not be worth the effort and money. To me, the Amazon App Store is nothing but a best-effort solution. As long as there’s the chance that most apps will run reasonably well, that will be good enough for BlackBerry, I’m afraid.
    08-09-14 02:07 PM
    Ummm why? Because an Android app that was installable before now comes preinstalled?
    Maybe because the Amazon partnership is basically the future of their ecosystem?

Posted via CB10
    08-09-14 02:18 PM
    Perhaps app developers on the Amazon store (maybe more so with the paid apps) would be interested in tweaking their apps for the passport since they will add another source of income for very little cost ( cheaper than building a native app).

I'm hoping the potential passport market is large enough to sway them. We'll have to see!

Posted via CB10
    08-09-14 02:24 PM
    Maybe because the Amazon partnership is basically the future of their ecosystem?

Posted via CB10
    Things will evolve. Further and further. Simple.

I'm drunk.

But honest.

And pretty certain!
    08-09-14 04:16 PM
    How about this, do all Amazon Store android apps work on all android phones?

Z10 STL-103 OS 10.3.296
    08-09-14 07:16 PM
    How about this, do all Amazon Store android apps work on all android phones?

Z10 STL-103 OS 10.3.296
    Technically, yes, because those that don't won't download in the first place. They most certainly don't just crash or run really crappy (crappy by design is not what we are talking about here).

Posted via CrackBerry App
    08-09-14 07:52 PM
    I'm not sure why Bla1ze is so critical.

I ran 10.3 for several months. During that time, I downloaded the Amazon Free App of the day every day. I did this to test the Runtime. I think that one App did not work over a maybe 2 month period.

I also purchased Apps that rely on large downloads. One is GTA Vice City. It downloaded the GB needed and word fine.

The runtime still had issues (.700). I'm anxious to see whether they are resolved. The biggest issue is slow load times. The next is multitasking behavior.

The Amazon App store is the smallest of the issues, IMO.

Yes. Amazon Music crashes when you try to play a downloaded song (streaming works fine). This must be resolved.

The real issue for me is how much the runtime improves over .700. If not much, all but the hard core fans will gripe. That would be a shame because I think BlackBerry is very close to having a rock solid Android experience. I HOPE BlackBerry comes through.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-14 08:05 PM
    Technically, yes, because those that don't won't download in the first place. They most certainly don't just crash or run really crappy (crappy by design is not what we are talking about here).

Since we have not seen 10.3.1 I think that we need to give the benefit of the doubt for now. It's always bad to bad mouth what currently is vapourware.

Z10 STL-103 OS 10.3.296
    08-09-14 08:06 PM
    I'm not sure why Bla1ze is so critical.
    I'm critical because if the experience isn't as good as people expect, it's going to show. However, I spoke to BlackBerry about some of the issues and they're aware of them and some will be resolved in the new runtime when it arrives.

• The additional downloads thing on the Amazon Appstore happens MOSTLY when a developer has slipped in some apps that weren't fully optimized for Amazon. Their is some that still include Google Play assets although they're not really supposed to. That said, it's still going to be an issue for those who use Snap and such as it will likely never be fixed for Google Play downloads (Understandably).
    • Game Circle or Amazon's leaderboard and cloud service for games is being looked at but for now, it remains unresolved. This means for games that rely on the service for saving your 'position' in a game, it's not going to work unless they fix it or work it into 10.3.x.
    • Music Downloads - Never really got a clear answer here but they're now aware of it.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    08-13-14 11:17 PM
    I'm critical because if the experience isn't as good as people expect, it's going to show. However, I spoke to BlackBerry about some of the issues and they're aware of them and some will be resolved in the new runtime when it arrives.

• The additional downloads thing on the Amazon Appstore happens MOSTLY when a developer has slipped in some apps that weren't fully optimized for Amazon. Their is some that still include Google Play assets although they're not really supposed to. That said, it's still going to be an issue for those who use Snap and such as it will likely never be fixed for Google Play downloads (Understandably).
    • Game Circle or Amazon's leaderboard and cloud service for games is being looked at but for now, it remains unresolved. This means for games that rely on the service for saving your 'position' in a game, it's not going to work unless they fix it or work it into 10.3.x.
    • Music Downloads - Never really got a clear answer here but they're now aware of it.
    New runtime? I hope they know what they are doing because anything short of near-perfect experience won't be good enough. At least the failures need to be graceful. This is, bare, bare minimum. Ideally they prevent incompatible software all together.

08-13-14 11:35 PM
    When 10.3.1 comes, we will have to wait for 10.4.1 to get better Android experience? I hope not. Hopefully BlackBerry nails the Android App support this time, as Passport is going to be watched closely by the media due to its hype. Use your chance BlackBerry!

Since we have not seen 10.3.1 I think that we need to give the benefit of the doubt for now. It's always bad to bad mouth what currently is vapourware.

Z10 STL-103 OS 10.3.296
    08-14-14 05:01 AM
    i am doesent work
    09-24-14 05:01 PM
62 123