Is the amazon app store apk the same app store as on the fire phone? The fire phone has some apps the amazon app store apk does not, such as instagram, uber, angry birds epic etc. I usually use snap, but just curious.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-14 07:25 PM
    Man this app thing annoys me. How is mingling with android a good thing? Solid secure platform.

Then "oh hey now let's stick android apps on it that don't meet standard blackberry app requirements in permissions, layout, navigation and all the other stuff that is required to make a app for BlackBerry 10."

Swordsmanship & Western Martial Arts Channel C000C9AF6
    acovey likes this.
    08-08-14 07:26 PM
    Yep, like I said in my 7 digital rant post Chen maybe smart but he don't know it all. He may look good to most but to me he is heading BlackBerry to an iceberg. Every platform has their own media store and BlackBerry had a great one and tossed it in the trash for Amazon. Chen is a fool.

Posted via CB10
    delroyj likes this.
    08-08-14 07:38 PM
    Well, there is always the possibility that they are trying to build a case to kill off the hardware division. Tinfoil hats, have at it!

Posted via CrackBerry App
    anon(8181885) likes this.
    08-08-14 08:37 PM
    Well, there is always the possibility that they are trying to build a case to kill off the hardware division. Tinfoil hats, have at it!

HW division was already on it's way to shutting down. Amazon was a last ditch attempt to get popular apps that are currently missing. If they wanted to kill off HW all they had to do was sit on their hands.
    08-08-14 10:52 PM
    I've raised the issue with BlackBerry and am currently awaiting a response. Issues I asked about.

• As it stands, a lot of apps use 'additional downloads' to decrease their file size in the store, when you download them, it asks you to download those assets and right now, the Android Runtime does NOT know what to do with those files so ash the apps fail to install and work. Is this being addressed? Will 10.3.x fix it? Is anyone even aware it's a problem?

• Much like apps, music downloads and such don't work either. Amazon MP3 for example allows you to STREAM any content you wish however, you CANNOT actually cache the content as intended. The Android Runtime doesn't understand how and as such just sits there trying to cache the file until it eventually errors out. Amazon Music is only one example of this, there is many others.

• Games - If Games is dead on BlackBerry are the Amazon apps going to use Game Circle? If so, then that needs a major look because right now, all the games that use game circle crash when someone actually tries to log into game circle on BlackBerry 10.

All major problems if none of it actually gets fixed / addressed.
    Thanks Blaze. Really curious to hear what they say to you. They can't be this dumb after all they have been through. At the very least they should have made a native app that filtered out incompatible apps. What a poor user experience otherwise. And the morons go on an on in their press release about how Amazon is going to be the home of consumer apps moving forward. They should have just shut their mouths and positioned it as an addition to BB World with a "use at your own risk" asterisk. Ugh.
    dejanh likes this.
    08-08-14 10:57 PM
    Thanks Blaze. Really curious to hear what they say to you. They can't be this dumb after all they have been through. At the very least they should have made a native app that filtered out incompatible apps. What a poor user experience otherwise. And the morons go on an on in their press release about how Amazon is going to be the home of consumer apps moving forward. They should have just shut their mouths and positioned it as an addition to BB World with a "use at your own risk" asterisk. Ugh.
    Yup, if they pull off some idiotic stunt I'm officially done polishing a turd. Anybody who asks me about Blackberry will hear from me fair and square how they are. If s/he is OK with everything they are welcome to give Blackberry a try. I've spent too much time justifying their nonsense.

08-09-14 12:09 AM
    How hard is it to develop a native app??????

Q10 On Steroids running on pure Awesomeness
    08-09-14 12:30 AM

About as hard as it is to develop a native app for other platforms.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    08-09-14 12:32 AM

I think they have bigger fish to fry than to make a native app.

08-09-14 12:44 AM
    I imagine one of the things BlackBerry is hoping for with this Amazon deal is that it will persuade Android developers to add bug fixes to their app specifically for BB10.
    Like: even if some/a lot/most apps are not 100% compatible at the start, by once again making it easier for devs to get their apps looked at (and bought) by BB10 users, it may help persuade them to optimise their apps for BlackBerry (1:1 screen, caching etc.).
    Because it will save them the time of making and maintaining another separate build.

Of course I think the only way for that to catch on is if BB10 can match the market share of some obscure Android devices. Otherwise it still will not be worth the devs effort. But I do believe that is one of the underlying arguments BlackBerry used to decide on this direction.

Channel: C0007CC89 | CB10 signed.
    08-09-14 01:22 AM
    not really to fussed as I don't let apps run my life
    08-09-14 02:07 AM
    Thanks for the input

Posted via CB10
    08-09-14 03:28 AM
    I hope the life .apk finally runs headless in 10.3. Tired of using my brain all the time.

Channel: C0007CC89 | CB10 signed.
    08-09-14 05:18 AM
    Agree. Me neither.

Really, at this point IMO I think that BlackBerry has to further and further improve their Android compatibility for the long run, there's no other way around. And having said that, I don't see any point in having a native Amazon AppStore, since all Amazon applications are Android apps anyway.

And as for me personally, I don't buy any media from BBW anyway.
    08-09-14 05:46 AM
    Am more worried about the unnecessary steps needed to install/update APKs.

Currently each app has to be installed/updated separately and after around 3 confirmation clicks with some waiting time between each click.

I don't wanna mention performance as it was noted by everyone already
    dejanh likes this.
    08-09-14 06:39 AM
    I think they have bigger fish to fry than to make a native app.

I beg to differ! The snap dude did it, it's amazing, smooth, and jumped hurdles at the beginning to resolve the GSFID issues.

I think it's as simple as getting a nice cash reward for the best app submitted by BlackBerry developers (a competition of some sorts) and since amazon is on board am sure they will get whatever support is required.

LP_Rigg likes this.
    08-09-14 08:26 AM
    Breaking News: Amazon app store on my z30
    Amazon Appstore on BlackBerry Passport-mockit_09082014093844.jpg

Posted via CB10 - Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3247/Telus
    08-09-14 08:39 AM
    Posted via CB10
    08-09-14 09:09 AM
    Prepare to be unamused then.
    Why would they release it if it does not work well?
    dejanh likes this.
    08-09-14 09:23 AM
    Why would they release it if it does not work well?
    This is the elephant in the room. Right now we don't know. All we know is that it looks like they are releasing it full well knowing it has a lot of serious issues. It's completely mind boggling.

I'm actually happy this topic was brought up. To date nobody has actually discussed this openly. It should actually be front page stuff.

08-09-14 09:58 AM
    I just hope they are under promising on this one and we can get at least a native amazon app store. Just for integration and to show that they care... I mean if it is just going to be the normal amazon app store, why don't they just post it on BlackBerry ? world now and let that be it.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-14 10:33 AM
    This is the elephant in the room. Right now we don't know. All we know is that it looks like they are releasing it full well knowing it has a lot of serious issues. It's completely mind boggling.

I'm actually happy this topic was brought up. To date nobody has actually discussed this openly. It should actually be front page stuff.

Ummm why? Because an Android app that was installable before now comes preinstalled?
    08-09-14 11:43 AM
    Ummm why? Because an Android app that was installable before now comes preinstalled?
    Did you bother to read the thread?

08-09-14 01:08 PM
    When someone asks me what phone to buy, first thing they say, don't try to convince them to buy a bb10 and I don't even argue it... even though they say that because they think BlackBerry is still bbos7 but I don't bother regardless of best OS since we are still missing the important native apps!

Point I'm trying to make, if 10.3 can be as good as I am hoping it to be which means android apps working like native apps! no lags, no bugs and all the apps on amazon
    Store working on bb10 ... im sure I can convince a few people to buy a BlackBerry, most likely a Z30

Posted via CB10
    08-09-14 01:39 PM
62 123