08-08-14 12:13 PM
    That was a very uninformative article. Did we expect anything else other than an Android app that is not integrated with BlackBerry World? I know I didn't.
    08-08-14 12:25 PM
    That is a waste of a post. I have amazon app store now and I don't have a passport. After the hype I thought they made a native amazon app or something....

Posted via CB10
    08-08-14 12:27 PM
    That is a waste of a post. I have amazon app store now and I don't have a passport. After the hype I thought they made a native amazon app or something....

Posted via CB10
    Indeed, lol. What will actually be really important is how good and efficient Android 4.3 runs on BlackBerry OS 10.3. Since the Amazon Appstore is now offered as a bundled product I would expect that every single app in there will work on the BlackBerry OS 10.3. If it does not, this idea will fail miserably.
    08-08-14 12:31 PM
    Since the Amazon Appstore is now offered as a bundled product I would expect that every single app in there will work on the BlackBerry OS 10.3. If it does not, this idea will fail miserably.
    Prepare to be unamused then.
    DYLANHABKIRK, freeyo and rocah360 like this.
    08-08-14 12:37 PM
    Looks good. But not near as good as BlackBerry World.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    08-08-14 12:42 PM
    Not sure if that's intended to be a defence of Blackberry, however if that is really the case then I have to ask "what are they thinking?". How can you possibly say "we now support Amazon Appstore officially" and follow it up with "except when a, b, c, d, etc.". That's just incredible, and not in a good way.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    08-08-14 12:52 PM
    Thanks for the share bro!

Posted via CB10
    08-08-14 12:53 PM
    Currently not amused.
    08-08-14 01:09 PM
    One more question (intentionally separated from my comment), as an end user, how will you know what is and isn't compatible? There is nothing like buying an app only to have it crash the moment you try to open it. Then there is the issue of apps not being suitable for the screen size. Another subtle item that will cause aggravation. I really cannot fathom how you can have a partnership without resolving these issues. Putting a disclaimer saying "3rd party apps may not be compatible" isn't enough nor does it address the issue in any way but legal standpoint.

Last edited by dejanh; 08-08-14 at 02:08 PM.
    08-08-14 01:33 PM
    One more question (intentionally separated from my comment), as an end user, how will you know what is and isn't compatible? There is nothing like buying an app only to have it crash the moment you try to open it. Then there is the issue of apps not being suitable for the screen size. Another subtle item that will cause aggravation. I really cannot fathom how you can have a partnership without resolving these issues.

You must be new to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    rocah360 and Jeffm63 like this.
    08-08-14 02:07 PM
    You must be new to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Hahaha, nice one. Sadly no. I was hoping that the new guard is a bit more forward thinking than the old guard. Looks like I may be mistaken if they are about to pull an "it's in the disclaimer".

08-08-14 02:09 PM
    Hahaha, nice one. Sadly no. I was hoping that the new guard is a bit more forward thinking than the old guard. Looks like I may be mistaken if they are about to pull an "it's in the disclaimer".

Thats exactly the strategy. There has been no reach out to Amazon devs on compatibility for non-standard screens. If BB was serious about essentially ditching its consumer app store for Amazon it would have developed free tools to test on the runtime. No Amazon dev is going to buy a Passport just to test that it runs 100%
    08-08-14 02:26 PM
    One more question (intentionally separated from my comment), as an end user, how will you know what is and isn't compatible? There is nothing like buying an app only to have it crash the moment you try to open it. Then there is the issue of apps not being suitable for the screen size. Another subtle item that will cause aggravation. I really cannot fathom how you can have a partnership without resolving these issues. Putting a disclaimer saying "3rd party apps may not be compatible" isn't enough nor does it address the issue in any way but legal standpoint.
    Instead of "every single app in there will work on the BlackBerry OS 10.3" I would think that since there is a partnership that only the apps compatible to your device will show up as available. Kinda like how the app stores currently work. BB World manages which apps are available for which devices, OS7 Z10 Q10 etc.
    08-08-14 02:30 PM
    Can someone confirm whether currently available amazon store API's can somehow be used to create native amazon app on bb10??.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-14 02:37 PM
    It's safe to say at this point that the Passport will out sale the Classic, I was lending towards the Classic first but now I'm on the fence.
    08-08-14 02:39 PM
    Instead of "every single app in there will work on the BlackBerry OS 10.3" I would think that since there is a partnership that only the apps compatible to your device will show up as available. Kinda like how the app stores currently work. BB World manages which apps are available for which devices, OS7 Z10 Q10 etc.
    Sure, that's good enough. As long as the end user isn't hit with crashes or force closes we're OK. That's a bare minimum requirement. You must identify upfront what works and what does not...or maybe this is a "conceptual" partnership...

John: Hey Jeff, are you OK if we include your Appstore bundled with our devices?
    Jeff: I don't see why it would be a problem. How are you guys dealing with compatibility issues?
    John : Well, most of the stuff works so that's good. For those that don't we have a nifty disclaimer about 3rd party apps.
    Jeff: Well, as long as nobody can sue us, hahaha *wink, wink*.
    John : Haha, don't worry, we've got it covered... we ran it by legal.
    Jeff: Got it. Sounds good.

DonkeyKong1 likes this.
    08-08-14 05:17 PM
    Not sure if that's intended to be a defence of Blackberry, however if that is really the case then I have to ask "what are they thinking?". How can you possibly say "we now support Amazon Appstore officially" and follow it up with "except when a, b, c, d, etc.". That's just incredible, and not in a good way.

I've raised the issue with BlackBerry and am currently awaiting a response. Issues I asked about.

• As it stands, a lot of apps use 'additional downloads' to decrease their file size in the store, when you download them, it asks you to download those assets and right now, the Android Runtime does NOT know what to do with those files so ash the apps fail to install and work. Is this being addressed? Will 10.3.x fix it? Is anyone even aware it's a problem?

• Much like apps, music downloads and such don't work either. Amazon MP3 for example allows you to STREAM any content you wish however, you CANNOT actually cache the content as intended. The Android Runtime doesn't understand how and as such just sits there trying to cache the file until it eventually errors out. Amazon Music is only one example of this, there is many others.

• Games - If Games is dead on BlackBerry are the Amazon apps going to use Game Circle? If so, then that needs a major look because right now, all the games that use game circle crash when someone actually tries to log into game circle on BlackBerry 10.

All major problems if none of it actually gets fixed / addressed.
    08-08-14 05:19 PM
    Ugh

Swordsmanship & Western Martial Arts Channel C000C9AF6
    08-08-14 05:23 PM
    I've raised the issue with BlackBerry and am currently awaiting a response. Issues I asked about.

• As it stands, a lot of apps use 'additional downloads' to decrease their file size in the store, when you download them, it asks you to download those assets and right now, the Android Runtime does NOT know what to do with those files so ash the apps fail to install and work. Is this being addressed? Will 10.3.x fix it? Is anyone even aware it's a problem?

• Much like apps, music downloads and such don't work either. Amazon MP3 for example allows you to STREAM any content you wish however, you CANNOT actually cache the content as intended. The Android Runtime doesn't understand how and as such just sits there trying to cache the file until it eventually errors out. Amazon Music is only one example of this, there is many others.

• Games - If Games is dead on BlackBerry are the Amazon apps going to use Game Circle? If so, then that needs a major look because right now, all the games that use game circle crash when someone actually tries to log into game circle on BlackBerry 10.

All major problems if none of it actually gets fixed / addressed.
    Oh boy

I'm glad you raised this as an issue. This unfortunately confirms my fears about the strategy around the "Amazon partnership", at least in its current incarnation. It also explains why there was no statement by Amazon about the partnership.
    Last edited by dejanh; 08-08-14 at 06:20 PM.
    08-08-14 05:54 PM
    I don't think anything will be fixed in 10.3 but hopefully in 10.3.1 ...

Posted via CB10
    08-08-14 06:14 PM
    It's safe to say at this point that the Passport will out sale the Classic, I was lending towards the Classic first but now I'm on the fence.
    i don't think its safe to say at all, it may seem that way because of all the buzz about the passport right now but there are alot of ppl waiting on the classic, particularly bold users that refused to let go of the tool belt and upgrade to bb10.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    08-08-14 06:14 PM
    Thats exactly the strategy. There has been no reach out to Amazon devs on compatibility for non-standard screens. If BB was serious about essentially ditching its consumer app store for Amazon it would have developed free tools to test on the runtime. No Amazon dev is going to buy a Passport just to test that it runs 100%
    I guess their not serious about ditching BlackBerry World. Awesome!
    acovey likes this.
    08-08-14 06:24 PM
    I don't think anything will be fixed in 10.3 but hopefully in 10.3.1 ...

Posted via CB10
    I really hope we're all wrong and the support is spot-on. I fear otherwise.
    I guess their not serious about ditching BlackBerry World. Awesome!
    If that's sarcasm, good on you. If it is not, then I have to say that the ability to ignore reality has just hit new highs even for CrackBerry. Without the Amazon app store and perfect Android integration these devices will just repeat the same mistakes of old. They are doomed before they even get off the ground. Yes, I'm going to say it, Apple of today would *never* release an unfinished product to the market (please no references to iOS 1 and no copy and paste). Why does BlackBerry, that has lost so much market share to the said entity continuously feel that they can do otherwise? Imagine if Apple's slogan was "Apple App Store, where only some of our apps work with some of your devices".

It truly is no surprise Amazon has been silent on this "partnership". They don't want their name associated to a potential train-wreck. If they keep their name out of it, nobody will turn around and say "Amazon, why don't your apps work with BlackBerry". This way all of the fault will be squarely with BlackBerry.
    Coffee Shampoo and AbAll87 like this.
    08-08-14 06:45 PM
    Sure, that's good enough. As long as the end user isn't hit with crashes or force closes we're OK. That's a bare minimum requirement. You must identify upfront what works and what does not...or maybe this is a "conceptual" partnership...
    I was just assuming, and assuming some more, but it might be left to the developers to decide... should I make my app available for this device, did I test it first... etc...
    08-08-14 07:02 PM
62 123