OP, I don't think brightness percentage is a universal standardised measure!

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 06:22 PM
    Right. I get what they are asserting in the article. What I'm questioning is their results.

The PP has nearly 6% more talk time, over 12% more web browsing, but 4.5% less video playback time. Taken as an average, the PP would use a lower percentage of its battery during those three hours than the iP6+. Yet the endurance rating ranks the PP as having overall 8% less battery life than the iPhone? The difference in standby battery draw would have to be staggering to cover that kind of ground.

Keep in mind that it's the most battery intensive activity, web browsing, where the Passport has the biggest lead.

Am I the only one that finds these results to be questionable?

Posted via PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 on CB10!
    It makes sense, if iphone use less battery life when idle. So it would have better endurance rating. 1 hour each of browsing, talk, and watching videos in a day, and the battery life of Passport last 73 hours, while iphone lasts longer. Why? Because during the time when they are not used, iPhone doesn't use as much battery. I'm not saying that Passport has a worse battery life than iPhone in normal usage, I'm a Passport user too. But in the endurance rating study that is designed by GSM Arena, iPhone scored better.
    10-27-14 01:56 AM
    I just don't get how that makes any sense at all!

If you took an iPhone loaded with common user apps (say at least 2 emails, Whatsapp, BBM, Facebook and Twitter) and the Passport with the same apps, I can almost guarantee you that the Passport would beat out the iPhone!

These tests test very specific things and that's not a real consumer-relevant assessment.. not sure about you, but I don't use my phone for exactly an hour of each of those categories a day..

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    @bcloco : Calls, browsing and video are not weighted the same. Stay nice.

You can try to calculate it back, but at the end of the day it won't change a lot. They have to find a calculation method and tools that are device/OS agnostic and made a choice. They indeed pretend video is a key differenciator.
    Do they privilege multimedia against "productivity" ? Probably. In which proportion ? I don't know.

What I know is that I can use heavily my passport for 10 hours+ for social and messaging + calls + photos + videos under low cell coverage.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 10-27-14 at 01:43 PM.
    10-27-14 01:32 PM
    Alright, I admit I got snarky at the perceived insinuation that I hadn't read the article. My apologies, Andy.

I still maintain my skepticism at the results, but I accept that no test will satisfy all parties.

That being said....I'd love to revisit the battery endurance test someday.

Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-27-14 08:21 PM
    Alright, I admit I got snarky at the perceived insinuation that I hadn't read the article. My apologies, Andy.

I still maintain my skepticism at the results, but I accept that no test will satisfy all parties.

That being said....I'd love to revisit the battery endurance test someday.

Apology accepted! You're a gentleman, when you apologize! Lol. That's true. It's just that the iphone lasts longer at the endurance test that they designed. Doesn't mean that the battery life of Passport is worse, because no one use their phone like that.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-28-14 10:08 AM
    I ran a battery app and it says passport has only a 3400 mah capacity battery
    I visited the specifications page on BlackBerry's website and it says passport has a 3450mAH integrated non-removable battery.

BlackBerry Passport Specs ? Specifications for BlackBerry Passport Smartphone - US
    10-29-14 03:59 PM
    Today I've been comparing my Blackberry Passport to my iPhone 6 PLUS and found a very interesting result.

With the Passport's display set at 85% brightness, where I like it, the iPhone 6 PLUS matches it at 30%. Probably nothing more to say. I'm not trolling my fellow BB buddies but there you go ;-)

...not including the fact that the average iPhone user is more likely to use there phone more for multimedia than the average BB user, so the results aren't so surprising when you consider the above.
    Nope. Auto brightness interferes that test. The Passport's screen brightness was tested by one publication I remember and it was over 650 candela per square cm bright. That's very much and I can't remember any iPhone being tested coming anywhere close. So no, an iPhone 6 Plus display isn't brighter, it's ambient light sensor just set it beyond that 30%.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 04:13 PM
    OK let me clarify. The Passport is CHEATING because it's LCD brightness is super low. Even on 100%, it is equivalent to the iPhone 6 PLUS at 40%. With the Passport at 50% brightness, the iPhone equivalent is about 15%....This has a huge impact on battery life, and is not representative as being an LCD that meets today's standards. It is a great LCD in terms of clarity and colour, but brightness is really not there and viewing in sunlight will be challenging at times.

I know people don't want to give the iPhone 6 credit but there is nothing 'business' it can't do that the Blackberry can do.....but that's a whole other debate, and trust me, I'm far from being an Apple fan, especially lately..... but the battery life of the Passport was huge factor for me switching over.

I also have other issues that BB hasn't resolved, like syncing to google and Mac which still haven't been fixed in 2014. Anyway, this topic was about battery life, and I'm sorry BB users, but the LCD is cheating as it is much lower in brightness than the industry standard, and that is how they are achieving such high usage times.
    Again, it's autobrightness. Which you can't turn off on BB10 devices. Meaning that even if you turn it to 10%, as soon as the ambient light sensor gets direct sunlight it'll turn up to 100%, maybe a bit less, no matter what. The autobrightness fools you.

...I just researched shortly via Google and found out that the Passport delivers a max brightness of 665 candela while the iPhone 6 Plus does 556. And yeah, higher is brighter. In other words the Passport will serve you better in sunlight while the iPhone obviously wastes battery in normal to low ambient lighting conditions. Sorry.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-29-14 04:29 PM
    Again, it's autobrightness. Which you can't turn off on BB10 devices. Meaning that even if you turn it to 10%, as soon as the ambient light sensor gets direct sunlight it'll turn up to 100%, maybe a bit less, no matter what. The autobrightness fools you.

...I just researched shortly via Google and found out that the Passport delivers a max brightness of 665 candela while the iPhone 6 Plus does 556. And yeah, higher is brighter. In other words the Passport will serve you better in sunlight while the iPhone obviously wastes battery in normal to low ambient lighting conditions. Sorry.

Posted via CB10
    It doesn't actually turn up to 100% lmfao, if that were true then you wouldn't notice a difference between leaving it at 10% and 100% in the sunlight (which btw, is a massive difference, even on the Passport!(though i don't need to have it about 10% to see it well in the sun))

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 08:28 PM
    I visited the specifications page on BlackBerry's website and it says passport has a 3450mAH integrated non-removable battery.

BlackBerry Passport Specs ? Specifications for BlackBerry Passport Smartphone - US
    We're aware of that, but if you physically open the Passport or use any apps, the Battery is only a 3400mAH battery. BlackBerry still has yet to comment on that fact.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 08:29 PM
    It doesn't actually turn up to 100% lmfao, if that were true then you wouldn't notice a difference between leaving it at 10% and 100% in the sunlight (which btw, is a massive difference, even on the Passport!(though i don't need to have it about 10% to see it well in the sun))

Posted via CB10
    Yeah I guess you're partially right but the thing is that I can even read my Z10 display at 10% in direct sunlight. Then turning it up to 100% doesn't make that much of a difference from my experience. The point is that auto brightness flaws every comparison.

These halfassed so called "brightness tests" like that of the OP just make me angry. I've even read tests of small publications of the Z10 when it came out and some concluded that the Z10 screen was "too dim" and "will likely do a bad job in sunlight" when actual laboratory tests showed that the Z10 with almost 700 candela has like the brightest screen on the market. So what happened? As I said: half assed testing. The reviewers didn't understand how the autobrightness on BB10 works, did one or two comparisons to other phones indoor and just looked at the difference between 10% and 100% settings, while the screen will only show its true potential when it's actually confronted with very bright ambient light.
    Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 05:04 PM
    Yeah I guess you're partially right but the thing is that I can even read my Z10 display at 10% in direct sunlight. Then turning it up to 100% doesn't make that much of a difference from my experience. The point is that auto brightness flaws every comparison.

These halfassed so called "brightness tests" like that of the OP just make me angry. I've even read tests of small publications of the Z10 when it came out and some concluded that the Z10 screen was "too dim" and "will likely do a bad job in sunlight" when actual laboratory tests showed that the Z10 with almost 700 candela has like the brightest screen on the market. So what happened? As I said: half assed testing. The reviewers didn't understand how the autobrightness on BB10 works, did one or two comparisons to other phones indoor and just looked at the difference between 10% and 100% settings, while the screen will only show its true potential when it's actually confronted with very bright ambient light.
    Posted via CB10
    That's almost the exact same issue as the Passport reviews that came out in the first three weeks - they were awful and half-assed and honestly were giving me less information than a proper review should! I knew more about the phone just by walking into a Telus store and demoing it out while I waited for Rogers to get it..

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 08:55 AM
87 ... 234