That's the reason iphone 6 looks brighter at first, but it's not real.
    G.

Posted via CB10
    My brain is going to explode trying to grasp what this means.
    10-25-14 04:59 AM
    All I know is every iphone user person I know gets about 6 hours of use in the real world. This baby will give you an easy 12 to 16 hours with no issues.
    That has been the question they ask me most about as they are just unhappy.

Posted via the Blackberry Passport
    10-25-14 07:40 AM
    I really don't understand what the reason is of this thread.

If the iPhone is a better phone for you, use your iPhone, i can see that for some people the iPhone would be a better choice, but why the 'This phone is better than that phone!'-BS all the time? WHO-THE-HELL-CARES?

It's the same with the 'My car is better than yours', 'My console is better than yours' or the 'The team i support is better than yours'.

If the iPhone has a 'better brightness @ a certain percentage', i'm happy for you. I remember buying an iPhone 5 because 'it had the best battery that would get you through the day.', and after a couple of months yes, i did get me through the day! If i turned off push e-mail, fb updates, lowered the brightness, switched from 3g/4g to 2g, turned off wi-fi and if i turned off the gps. Ah...those were the days.
    10-25-14 07:56 AM
    This is funny,.. reminds me of what my high school teacher told me when I asked him for a recommendation for engineering school applications.

He said, do you know what engineering is about? It's not about finding a way to do something, but about find the optimal way to do it based on limited resources and given constraints.

In this case, we're talking about a mobile device with a battery life constrained by size and weight. Sure, anyone can just put on a display and let you crank it up as high as the display manufacturer lets them (simply a voltage pin value), that's one way to do it. OR you work to optimize both the viewing experience and the constrained battery life (since a bright display with a dead battery is not very bright at all). So, BlackBerry determines a reasonable brightness range for most users, does research regarding the autobrightness adjustment curve, and thereby squeezes out the most hours of actual usage.

If you want to call that cheating, then sure... I'll gladly go with the cheating company over and over again.

It's like slamming on Ford for using their turbo ecoboost systems to deliver higher acceleration when needed, while maintaining lower engine sizes and thus lower fuel consumption when driving at normal speeds (i.e. most of the time)

Have fun burning your eyes out with your jacked up iPhone screens (although you should be safe since it won't last that long).

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by AnimalPak200; 10-25-14 at 08:39 AM.
    10-25-14 08:22 AM
    I don't get why you need to have bright screen. I'm on Q10 and it's in it minimum. MINIMUM. I use GPS all the time while driving on a clear day and still have no problem as the phone adopts and gives me enough brightness.
    Attached Thumbnails Amazing battery life mystery solved-uploadfromtaptalk1414243789293.png  
    10-25-14 08:30 AM
    As a real life testimony.
    These are my outdoor conditions right now.
    Passport is the brightest and most readable screen I've ever had (any BlackBerry device within 9900, Z10/Z30, Q10/5,playbook).
    That simple.

Amazing battery life mystery solved-img_20141026_145908.jpg

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 08:59 AM
    As a real life testimony.
    These are my outdoor conditions right now.
    Passport is the brightest and most readable screen I've ever had (any BlackBerry device within 9900, Z10/Z30, Q10/5,playbook).
    That simple.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141026_145908.jpg 
Views:	821 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	309535

Posted via CB10
    Put the Passport away and enjoy!! Lol

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-26-14 09:13 AM
    I don't get the results here. The PP has over an hour longer web browsing, an hour longer talk time, and less than a half hour shorter video playback, yet they award the ip6 six more hours on the endurance scale? What am I missing here?

Posted via PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 on CB10!
    WWBlondieDo and irweezyy like this.
    10-26-14 09:35 AM
    Endurance test is based on video playback. That's why.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 09:41 AM

Posted via CB10
    Okay but the Passport's video playback results were only about 30 minutes less than the iPhone 6+ so how can they say its endurance rating is 6 hours less?

Posted via CB10 on my VZW STL100-4 running 10.3.1.821/800 hybrid
    10-26-14 09:48 AM
    I don't get the results here. The PP has over an hour longer web browsing, an hour longer talk time, and less than a half hour shorter video playback, yet they award the ip6 six more hours on the endurance scale? What am I missing here?

Hmm. Read the article. It's explained there.
    This is explained:

"As expected, the two most battery-intensive tasks in our tests were video playback and web browsing. At just over 10 hours each, the two results are above average for its class. This comes alongside over 25 hours of 3G calling.

All three combined with the battery draw in standby, resulted in a very respectable 73 hours of endurance rating. 73 hours of endurance means that the BlackBerry Passport will be able to last just over 3 days on a full charge if you perform 1 hour each of watching videos, 3G calls, and web browsing per day."

There.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-26-14 10:48 AM

Posted via CB10
    I don't think the endurance test is based on any one thing. It's based on "mixed use" and there must be other categories not listed there where the PP doesn't last as long as the iPhone as you can see those numbers only add up to forty-something hours...

Edit: As someone else have pointed out, I think the missing category is power consumption during stand-by as the test is only an hour of each per day and the rest is stand-by... So it just appears that the PP uses a bit more power on stand-by.

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    10-26-14 11:24 AM
    This is explained:

"As expected, the two most battery-intensive tasks in our tests were video playback and web browsing. At just over 10 hours each, the two results are above average for its class. This comes alongside over 25 hours of 3G calling.

All three combined with the battery draw in standby, resulted in a very respectable 73 hours of endurance rating. 73 hours of endurance means that the BlackBerry Passport will be able to last just over 3 days on a full charge if you perform 1 hour each of watching videos, 3G calls, and web browsing per day."

There.
    So it seems the Passport's advantage in browsing and talk time over the 6 plus are nullified by both a greater video playback power draw and possibly less efficient standby? (iPhone does have more strict control over background apps (and doesn't have to deal with rogue Android apps), so I imagine this plays a big role in stepping up standby time).

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 11:31 AM
    What are you referring to about your post heading!? Does not really make any sense?!!?

Are you talking about improved battery life compared to the passport or worse battery life!?

Posted via Passport OS 10.3.0.908/Rogers Wireless
    10-26-14 11:41 AM
    This is explained:

There.
    Well, thanks for quoting that. That always clears things up, posting the exact same text again. How extremely helpful. Not just that, but it really demonstrates that you truly understand the exact formula they use to come up with their numbers. Would you be so kind as to use your own words to explain the math? I'm embarrassed to ask one so clearly superior as yourself, but I hope to learn from your immense wealth of knowledge.

10-26-14 12:46 PM
    Well, thanks for quoting that. That always clears things up, posting the exact same text again. How extremely helpful. Not just that, but it really demonstrates that you truly understand the exact formula they use to come up with their numbers. Would you be so kind as to use your own words to explain the math? I'm embarrassed to ask one so clearly superior as yourself, but I hope to learn from your immense wealth of knowledge.

Basically it means that if, during each day (24 hr period), you were to use your device for:

(1 hour of calling +1 hour of web browsing + 1 hour of video watching) +21 hours of standby (24-3 hours of it just sitting there waiting for incoming signals),..

The battery would last 73 hours total.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 12:53 PM

Wow. The hostility. Just trying to help. I didn't think you read the article. It was pretty straightforward to me. Read the last sentence. That pretty summed up the endurance rating meaning. That's why I'm posting it. The post exactly above this has explained it clearly. The sarcasm is not needed though.
    Last edited by Andy Wijaya; 10-26-14 at 01:21 PM.
    Superfly_FR and Katika99 like this.
    10-26-14 01:02 PM
    Well, this is a fun post. The screen looks great to me and the battery life is phenomenal. I'm extremely happy with my Passport. If you're happy with your iPhone 6, then that's great too.

I'm just not sure why you're on here trying to prove that the 'Passport is cheating.'

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 01:25 PM
    -------- but it seems you're determined to believe what you choose to believe, regardless of the truth.
    Pot - Kettle?

Posted via CB10, now from a Z30
    10-26-14 01:25 PM
    Basically it means that if, during each day (24 hr period), you were to use your device for:

(1 hour of calling +1 hour of web browsing + 1 hour of video watching) +21 hours of standby (24-3 hours of it just sitting there waiting for incoming signals),..

The battery would last 73 hours total.

Posted via CB10
    Right. I get what they are asserting in the article. What I'm questioning is their results.

The PP has nearly 6% more talk time, over 12% more web browsing, but 4.5% less video playback time. Taken as an average, the PP would use a lower percentage of its battery during those three hours than the iP6+. Yet the endurance rating ranks the PP as having overall 8% less battery life than the iPhone? The difference in standby battery draw would have to be staggering to cover that kind of ground.

Keep in mind that it's the most battery intensive activity, web browsing, where the Passport has the biggest lead.

Am I the only one that finds these results to be questionable?

10-26-14 04:53 PM
    This is explained:

There.
    You call this post polite and helpful? Okay.

10-26-14 04:57 PM
    What a ridiculous thread. I can't believe I got sucked in to reading it.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-14 05:00 PM
    Wow. The hostility. Just trying to help. I didn't think you read the article. It was pretty straightforward to me. Read the last sentence. That pretty summed up the endurance rating meaning. That's why I'm posting it. The post exactly above this has explained it clearly. The sarcasm is not needed though.
    The ****-hurt is strong with that one, lol. :-D

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    10-26-14 05:35 PM
    I just don't get how that makes any sense at all!

If you took an iPhone loaded with common user apps (say at least 2 emails, Whatsapp, BBM, Facebook and Twitter) and the Passport with the same apps, I can almost guarantee you that the Passport would beat out the iPhone!

These tests test very specific things and that's not a real consumer-relevant assessment.. not sure about you, but I don't use my phone for exactly an hour of each of those categories a day..

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    10-26-14 06:00 PM
    Ever since I got the Passport, guess where I keep my car charger?
    In the trunk of the car !!!
    OP should be there too lol

Posted via CB10
    D3C0D3R likes this.
    10-26-14 06:20 PM
87 1234