Passport max luminosity : 438 cd/m2 contrast max 1300:1 (we have a winner)
    IP6+ max luminosity : 430 cd/m2 contrast max 1127:1
    IP6 max luminosity : 430 cd/m2 contrast max 968:1
    They're VERY similar on the SPECs side.

You may confuse perception (thus my initial advices on white balance/saturation settings) and objective measures. We all know apple offer excellent screens (err... those are Samsung's IPS BTW) with an impressive color rendering, nice black and pretty good reactiveness (for LCD). Apple did a really impressive integration work at fine tuning them perfectly right. But the objective part you claim - thus your reasoning - is not clear to me ... to say the least

Source : Measures grabbed from lesnumeriques.com (sorry, in French), independent and recognized as such :
    http://www.lesnumeriques.com/telepho...0890/test.html
    http://www.lesnumeriques.com/telepho...ne-n35978.html

Posted via CB10 ... (edited (several times, sorry!) on my desktop; CB10 don't like foreing characters !)
    Similar results in gsmarena, check the pp review

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-24-14 05:23 PM
    This is why you should never trust numbers. You are so far from wrong its not funny. If you have no experience comparing the two posting numbers doesn't make you right - but it seems you're determined to believe what you choose to believe, regardless of the truth.

I never said the Passport was;t bright enough. I am saying that the Passport achieves it's great usage figures because the LCD consumes so little battery life due to it's low brightness. Accept it or go see for yourself.

Passport max luminosity : 438 cd/m2 contrast max 1300:1 (we have a winner)
    IP6+ max luminosity : 430 cd/m2 contrast max 1127:1
    IP6 max luminosity : 430 cd/m2 contrast max 968:1
    They're VERY similar on the SPECs side.

You may confuse perception (thus my initial advices on white balance/saturation settings) and objective measures. We all know apple offer excellent screens (err... those are Samsung's IPS BTW) with an impressive color rendering, nice black and pretty good reactiveness (for LCD). Apple did a really impressive integration work at fine tuning them perfectly right. But the objective part you claim - thus your reasoning - is not clear to me ... to say the least

Source : Measures grabbed from lesnumeriques.com (sorry, in French), independent and recognized as such :
    BlackBerry Passport : Test complet
    Test ? Les �crans des iPhone 6 et iPhone 6 Plus flattent la r�tine

Posted via CB10 ... (edited (several times, sorry!) on my desktop; CB10 don't like foreing characters !)
    10-24-14 05:32 PM
    This is why you should never trust numbers. You are so far from wrong its not funny. If you have no experience comparing the two posting numbers doesn't make you right - but it seems you're determined to believe what you choose to believe, regardless of the truth.

I never said the Passport was;t bright enough. I am saying that the Passport achieves it's great usage figures because the LCD consumes so little battery life due to it's low brightness. Accept it or go see for yourself.
    I just compare specs. We're talking about this, aren't we ?
    If not, just like I friendly stated, that's perception, which can be a very good POV yet not objective.
    In the references I gave, the perception is also mentionned and in the particular example you gave (sunny daylight) both IP6 and Passport are noted "fairly good enough" with no significant difference in the wording.

Edit: if the proper setting for you is 85% V.S 30 or 50%, what will be the interest to push the IP to 70% and the PP to 100% ? (remember, this is not linear, BTW). [You will lose quality and color accuracy and contrast will start to be problematic]
    Re-Edit : and at the end of the day, I'm glad if you're happy with the battery life of your IP (let's discuss it again in 200 charging cycles) and the Passport ... I just don't get the "cheat" ...
    brian4591 likes this.
    10-24-14 05:38 PM
    One more thing guys...passport has an all time automatic brightness, even if u put it in 100%, the bright goes down depending of light that detects it's sensor...what u put manually in the configuration, it's just a reference for the system, please check it and think about it.
    That's the reason iphone 6 looks brighter at first, but it's not real.
    G.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR and brian4591 like this.
    10-24-14 06:10 PM
    It doesn't mean the PP is cheating, just better at managing battery?

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 06:25 PM
    I guess I didn't know the great battery life was a mystery? I thought it was a selling point, hmmpf who knew

Posted via CB10
    Flatman likes this.
    10-24-14 07:05 PM
    TROLL and Hater.... Get Outta Here
    10-24-14 07:10 PM
    All I can say is this. All of my co-workers that have iphones have them plugged in constantly and God forbid they forget their charger because then they are frantically calling around the office looking for a spare charging cable because their phone is about to die. My passport only gets charged while I sleep. I never even use my car charger these days.

Posted via CB10
    Ever since I got the Passport, guess where I keep my car charger?
    In the trunk of the car !!!
    10-24-14 07:10 PM
    OK let me clarify. The Passport is CHEATING because it's LCD brightness is super low. Even on 100%, it is equivalent to the iPhone 6 PLUS at 40%. With the Passport at 50% brightness, the iPhone equivalent is about 15%....This has a huge impact on battery life, and is not representative as being an LCD that meets today's standards. It is a great LCD in terms of clarity and colour, but brightness is really not there and viewing in sunlight will be challenging at times.

I know people don't want to give the iPhone 6 credit but there is nothing 'business' it can't do that the Blackberry can do.....but that's a whole other debate, and trust me, I'm far from being an Apple fan, especially lately..... but the battery life of the Passport was huge factor for me switching over.

I also have other issues that BB hasn't resolved, like syncing to google and Mac which still haven't been fixed in 2014. Anyway, this topic was about battery life, and I'm sorry BB users, but the LCD is cheating as it is much lower in brightness than the industry standard, and that is how they are achieving such high usage times.
    Find an alternative android browser that lets you adjust brightness and it'll negate the auto-brightness. Baidu Tablet Browser lets you do this, and at it's max brightness setting, the Passport was brighter than the brightest setting on the 6+ when I compared them in an apple store...

As soon as you leave the app, the PP's auto brightness kicks in - you can actually see your screen start to rapidly dim.
    10-24-14 07:11 PM
    OK let me clarify. The Passport is CHEATING because it's LCD brightness is super low. Even on 100%, it is equivalent to the iPhone 6 PLUS at 40%. With the Passport at 50% brightness, the iPhone equivalent is about 15%....This has a huge impact on battery life, and is not representative as being an LCD that meets today's standards. It is a great LCD in terms of clarity and colour, but brightness is really not there and viewing in sunlight will be challenging at times.

You set your Passport brightness to 85% because that's where you like it. If the equal setting on the iPhone is 30%, wouldn't you set your setting to that? It's not how bright the screen goes that impacts battery life. It's where you set it.

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 07:16 PM
    TROLL and Hater.... Get Outta Here
    oops I thought this was a BlackBerry forum, I forgot its actually a spiphone6+ forum, my bad I'll leave

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418

Posted via CB10
    10-24-14 07:16 PM

I know people don't want to give the iPhone 6 credit but there is nothing 'business' it can't do that the Blackberry can do.....but that's a whole other debate, and trust me, I'm far from being an Apple fan, especially lately..... but the battery life of the Passport was huge factor for me switching over.

I also have other issues that BB hasn't resolved, like syncing to google and Mac which still haven't been fixed in 2014. Anyway, this topic was about battery life, and I'm sorry BB users, but the LCD is cheating as it is much lower in brightness than the industry standard, and that is how they are achieving such high usage times.
    You are so full of it.
    I saw the devices next to each other. My son has an iPhone 6+ and my daughter an iPhone6.
    If Passport's brightness at 100% is equal to the iPhone 6+ at 40% you'd be blinded if you put the iPhone 6+ at 70%.

But hey whatever floats your boat. Have fun with your iPhone.
    Timbosaurus likes this.
    10-24-14 08:17 PM
    Cheating or not. At the end of the day. I don't need to walk around with my phone charger like iPhone user do. Lol. How bright do u want ur screen to be. The screen brightness of the passport at half is perfect for me.
    Nharzhool and Superfly_FR like this.
    10-24-14 08:29 PM
    i found the default brightness of my passport to be way brighter than my Z10 at 50%
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-25-14 12:12 AM
    I just set mine between 30-40% most of the time cus anything above that makes my eye hurt. But for video watching I bump it up to about 70% to achieve a very clear and not too bright screen.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    10-25-14 12:34 AM
    At the end of the day people will believe what they want, regardless of having proof or not. I have my proof from ownership and comparison.

I don't care for those that say they compared in Apple stores. I have compared side by side under controlled 'no lighting' environment and I know what I'm seeing, and feel it was a waste to share it here because obviously most of you don't want to accept it.

Yes the auto-brightness will affect it, but I have compared significantly before coming to the conclusion. I'm not hating on the BB, but pointing out a fact of ownership of the two devices. There's nothing wrong with the Passport's LCD, but it is significanlty lower in brightness compared to the iPhone 6 PLUS and that does make a difference to the performance of either devices, and inevitably, their results in use.

You guys can believe it or not, but for those who aren't haters, this is something to think about. Thats my point.
    10-25-14 01:43 AM
    I don't think you can say one way or the other, which users, use their devices more i think it is dependent of the individual user. You could argue BB users use their phone less because they get sh&$ done faster, Apple users use theirs more cause they are gamers, those arguments could go on for months.Op can you clarify your point on what device you think is amazing.
    lol, "gamers"
    10-25-14 01:51 AM

.... it's not cheating. It autoadjust. If you put it to max, I don't think it would auto adjust. But I haven't checked it.
    10-25-14 02:48 AM
    Sorry.

See this link.

http://m.gsmarena.com/blackberry_pas...iew-1149p3.php

And go to display.

Amazing battery life mystery solved-img_20141025_095232.png

Amazing battery life mystery solved-img_20141025_095243.png

The bottom two are BlackBerry Passport and iPhone. It's objectively measured. They have almost the same brightness on 100 percent test, but the 50 percent test can't be done because the screen auto adjust. The difference in brightness that you experienced, might come from the difference it white color and contrast adjustment. Warmer or colder white, and the color contrast, which is different between LCDs. This are apparent not only on phones, but also in TVs. Sony and Samsung LCDs have different feel when they are compared side by side.

My point is, as the test suggests, BlackBerry Passport LCDs are not cheating at brightness. GSM Arena tests their phones objectively. With real and controlled way to measure things.

Btw, not to mention, Passport has a higher PPI.
    10-25-14 02:54 AM
    Sorry.

See this link.

BlackBerry Passport review: Ticket to ride - GSMArena.com

And go to display.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141025_095232.png 
Views:	1460 
Size:	298.7 KB 
ID:	309195

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141025_095243.png 
Views:	1457 
Size:	289.8 KB 
ID:	309194
    thank you for posting the link I was just too lazy ;P
    10-25-14 02:57 AM
    thank you for posting the link I was just too lazy ;P
    You're welcome. :-D
    10-25-14 03:04 AM
    Lol I don't understand how when you're presented with hard facts about both screens you get so defensive. No one is hating or being a BlackBerry fan boy here. Your perception of the brightness of these screens may differ between others buy you can't argue hard facts from multiple sources.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 03:07 AM
    Let's close this. All arguments have been written.
    If still unclear to some, it's unuseful to go further, IMHO

Posted via CB10
    10-25-14 03:08 AM
    10-25-14 03:11 AM
    Nice... i wish I had the time to deal with these technicalities and comparisons from time to time.
    I do not think cheating is the word you are looking for. Auto-adjustments are in place for a reason, which is to save battery life based on condition.
    Smart-rendering and auto-brightness also differs based on vendor hardware, and OS.
    And so if we are to call a vendor, in this case (BlackBerry) cheater based on its more energy effective smart-screen. I personally would not call your comparison very objective, but completely and hopelessly biased.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-25-14 04:46 AM
87 1234