I am spoiled by the wide screen ...I am afraid I will never be happy with another device after BB disappears...
    04-14-15 08:58 PM
    HI, newbie lurker alert...

I've owned my PP for about 4 weeks now, my history is of following the path less trodden in mobiles having owned and loved devices like my Nokia e90 communicator, Nokia N900, Dell streak and Galaxy Note 1 and 3 when stylus' were still uncool....

I have an old Bberry curve supplied by work and TBH I had always hated it, if you had asked me about it I'd tell you how its superb at email and diabolical at everything else... Blackberry were not a manufacturer I had any desire to consider for my personal device

You may have noticed that until I was forced onto Droid I had a history of hardware keyboards and the simple fact re-enforced throughout my droid life was that absolutely the missing feature of all droid devices was a good keyboard. I could never understand why with a resolution greater than a lot of laptops as soon as I wanted to type anything I lost the majority of the screen to the keyboard and therefore couldn't see what I was responding to. swype/swiftkey helped a little but it had constantly been nagging me that it was a 3rd class solution .

Then I saw the passport on a tech review site, the keyboard immediately intrigued me, I did a bit more research.. Android apps ticked the box of not loosing all my current apps etc. problem was I was 12 months into a 24 month contract and I didn't want to wait another 12 months before I could try it so I chucked my Note 3 on the work for sale board and waited, luckily I timed it just right and hit the week before annual bonus payday. armed with cash in hand I found a Passport on fleaBay for 320 GBP.

so, having been on droid since v1.6 how do I find the passport, simply I love it, being able to type properly again is just such a pleasure, having keyboard shortcuts makes my life sooo much easier and general use a pleasure, the battery life is astonishing, on my Note 3 I could easily empty the phone by early evening if I used it in anger, I have yet to get below 20% on the PP. the size/format works fine for me. I have for a long time done 90% of my casual computing on my phone only ever getting the laptop out when really needed, the PP continues to easily do this for me. I love the Hub, its totally re-invigorated my interaction with email/social media etc. I had drifted away from the likes of twitter but this has really integrated it all into a single useable place that makes it no longer a faff and as such does what any good device should, it makes life easy and seamless without me having to think about it. I have tried to ensure I install in the following order to keep as native as possible, BB World, then Amazon, then finally via SNAP. Its not all plain sailing though, whilst the majority of my Android apps work fine I've had to get a workaround for my mobile banking application by using the web based .mobi site as it doesn't work and there is no plans to make one for BB 10. SkyGo whilst it opens refuses to connect to the video stream( I've found references to a white list of supported devices within the application which clearly will never allow the PP unless we can somehow spoof it ). I have a tablet which I can use for the latter I would have just preferred it if it worked on the PP. A few apps I find don't quite render properly but are usually still useable. The only issue I have left is that in its case its "just" too wide for my in car holder.

So all in yes I LOVE this phone, it absolutely fits my way of thinking, my use case profile and my desire to tread the unusual road. I just hope they are working on a PP2 for sometime later this year.

Ian
    cbosdell and kekos like this.
    04-15-15 03:50 AM
    Ian, for the apps don't render properly, try swiping down from the top and click the size button on the top right, you may find a rendering option there to fit it right on the screen.

After selecting the option the Android app may shut down, you just need to restart it to check the result.

For the other problems you have, you may do a search on thee forum or just start a new thread to ask if there are solutions for them already.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    04-15-15 07:34 AM
    thanks, I have tried the resize option but it still doesn't display correctly ( one is a streaming TV service where it is stretching the picture vertically to fill the screen so people look tall and thin )

I know the banking app wont work as I work in IT at the bank and asked the devs directly over coffee...

Thanks for the reply though
    04-15-15 08:39 AM
    I would be amazed if OP was not amazed by Passport

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    04-15-15 03:57 PM
    I am spoiled by the wide screen ...I am afraid I will never be happy with another device after BB disappears...
    Such melodrama
    04-15-15 04:19 PM
    BlackBerry needs to pump out some Droid devices. That's the only way they'll get people's attention. Not fully droid, it'll still have the Hub, Blend, BBM and all that...basically a hybrid of BB10 and Android but at least they can say that all of Google's PlayStore apps are available to even the technologically challenged people.

Plus it's a good headline grabber
    Not ever going to happen, unless Google buys BlackBerry.

Passport SQW 100-1 OS 10.3.1.2576
    04-15-15 07:41 PM
57 123