Am I the only one who hates the Silver Edition?
    Rest assured, you have company. You can be sure that birdman38 hates it with every fiber of his being. In fact, hating BlackBerry is his whole life ;-) .
    Optimus4 likes this.
    08-05-15 09:57 PM
    Don't be fooled guys, this isn't BlackBerry releasing a "premium" version - if it were, it'd be a Porsche Design.

This is basically BlackBerry admitting that the original PP, while innovative, was pre-mature and a lot of it's weaknesses were exposed once it spent sometime in the market.

The screen lift (which was due to poor adhesive and/or the frame being prone to twisting), typing being less than ideal with the short bottom bezel (which was revealed when the ATT version was released which provided a much better handling experience), the edges of the phone (again, revealed via ATT), etc have all been addressed with this Silver Edition.

To me, it seems to me, that the original PP were more like beta stage devices and after ATT changed the design and people were like, ok, this makes way more sense, now they're releasing what they consider "should've been".

They can get away with it, because the PP hasn't sold enough volume anyway so anyone original adopters that are miffed really don't make a difference.

Unfortunately this Silver Edition still won't drive up sales - because the hype is all but gone, reviews have already been done, and this will get looked over by the mainstream, like the Z30.

I'm still down for buying one though!

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    dejanh and extisis like this.
    08-05-15 10:00 PM
    Don't be fooled guys, this isn't BlackBerry releasing a "premium" version - if it were, it'd be a Porsche Design.

This is basically BlackBerry admitting that the original PP, while innovative, was pre-mature and a lot of it's weaknesses were exposed once it spent sometime in the market.

The screen lift (which was due to poor adhesive and/or the frame being prone to twisting), typing being less than ideal with the short bottom bezel (which was revealed when the ATT version was released which provided a much better handling experience), the edges of the phone (again, revealed via ATT), etc have all been addressed with this Silver Edition.

To me, it seems to me, that the original PP were more like beta stage devices and after ATT changed the design and people were like, ok, this makes way more sense, now they're releasing what they consider "should've been".

They can get away with it, because the PP hasn't sold enough volume anyway so anyone original adopters that are miffed really don't make a difference.

Unfortunately this Silver Edition still won't drive up sales - because the hype is all but gone, reviews have already been done, and this will get looked over by the mainstream, like the Z30.

I'm still down for buying one though!

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    Very intelligent post.

The only thing that I find funny is that I have had so many Passport issues, but I've never found the shortness of the chin to be a problem (the og Passport has always offered a comfortable typing experience aside from the lack of an alt key).

Posted via CB10
    08-05-15 11:19 PM
    Very intelligent post.

The only thing that I find funny is that I have had so many Passport issues, but I've never found the shortness of the chin to be a problem (the og Passport has always offered a comfortable typing experience aside from the lack of an alt key).

Posted via CB10
    But were any of your previous Passports AT&T versions? If not, you have nothing to compare the OG typing experience to. Yes, you didn't have a problem with the OG keyboard, but nonetheless, the AT&T types a lot better.
    08-05-15 11:44 PM
    But were any of your previous Passports AT&T versions? If not, you have nothing to compare the OG typing experience to. Yes, you didn't have a problem with the OG keyboard, but nonetheless, the AT&T types a lot better.
    I tried it in the store. I couldn't handle the ATT's weak keypresses. Too flimsy feeling. But I didn't give it much time.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-15 11:48 PM
    Rest assured, you have company. You can be sure that birdman38 hates it with every fiber of his being. In fact, hating BlackBerry is his whole life ;-) .
    You mean "hating EVERYTHING BlackBerry", I wouldn't put it past him, if given a chance he is sure to find hate issues even with passive 'Red Blink' sticker.
    08-06-15 12:14 AM
    I don't hate the silver edition... it just that I don't have that much money to buy another device having the same functionality as what I'm using for the past 6 months for the same price (or more) I spent on a device almost a year older...

BlackBerry should at least lower the price if they want it to be (at least) competitive with their current Passport...

Posted via CB10
    Poi25 likes this.
    08-06-15 12:25 AM
    How much are going being paid to complain??????

Posted via CB10
    It's definately a blind assumption.
    08-06-15 01:18 AM
    In all likelyhood this IS Passport 2... we may not see any further iterations of this form factor, imo

Posted via CB10
    I hope so. Time for BlackBerry to focus on a device that will move units!

Posted via Z30
    TgeekB likes this.
    08-06-15 05:14 AM
    Am I the only one who hates the Silver Edition?-crackberry-image.jpg

How about they release the one on the right! That looks hot.
    08-06-15 07:14 AM
    How many TVs are square nowadays?

Posted via CB10
    How many cell phones are square nowadays?
    08-06-15 08:39 AM
    Quite a few thanks to BlackBerry and their endless redesigns of the PP.

Posted via CB10
    dejanh and eyesopen1111 like this.
    08-06-15 08:54 AM
    This is rhetorical.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-15 09:12 AM
    You're not alone. I stated in the post boasting pictures of the silver passport, that the rendition is HIDEOUS! I find the device suspect, by that I mean that I find it hard to believe that they actually went out of their way to re-dress the device. Seems more an AT&T rejected edition. The back of the device appears of toolbox liner material and the steel body though perhaps strong has a very cheap appearance. Some individuals have hinted at a possible Porsche design which I find laughable. The material on this device appears to be carbon-steel the likes used for making cookie baking sheets. Perhaps they added some non-stick coating! What a joke. Here's a tip for the designers, "Simplicity equals Elegance".

Posted from my Passport.
    anon(5830442) likes this.
    08-06-15 09:15 AM
    Quite a few thanks to BlackBerry and their endless redesigns of the PP.

Posted via CB10
    Can you name them for me please.
    08-06-15 09:32 AM
    This is rhetorical.

Posted via CB10
    Just like the original question.
    08-06-15 09:32 AM
    Lots of companies do this. Uh my brother has the Samsung alpha??? Which I believe is a metal S5 basically. And this isn't new. It is a silver edition. The word edition would mean it is a variant of a original.

Posted with Z30
    Samsung did not release any of those "variant" devices as their "new flagship", certainly not a year after the release of the Galaxy series. What BlackBerry has done is the equivalent of Samsung taking their S6 devices now and releasing them next year as S7 flagship after just changing the case. Therefore, no, this has not been done so far with a flagship device. Your example is incorrect.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-15 10:00 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CrackBerry Image.jpg 
Views:	796 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	365516

How about they release the one on the right! That looks hot.
    Just buy a white chin for your Black Passport? Or replace the keyboard with a black one on your white Passport?
    08-06-15 10:06 AM
    How hard is it to stick to the original thread question?

Posted from my Passport.
    08-06-15 10:26 AM
    How hard is it to stick to the original thread question?
    You should practice what you preach.
    eyesopen1111 and extisis like this.
    08-06-15 10:28 AM
    Just as you think the AT&T Passport "looks better," I think taking a $500+ device and slapping a $20 piece of plastic over it to "protect" it is stupid and ruins the look, completely. You just effectively carried out the electronic equivalent of covering your couch in plastic for the off chance that you spill wine on it. So why buy a red phone when you can buy a red case? Because it looks better, it's less bulky, and it doesn't make the device look like a vintage playing card you're trying to baby. These devices are meant to be used. If you're clumsy, change your habits. I've gone naked with my phones for 3+ years now and (knock on wood), haven't broken one yet.
    Lucky you! Just yesterday I dropped my phone and watched it tumble all the way down a full flight of concrete stairs. Imagine my joy when I picked up my phone to find that the only damage was a few scrapes on the corners of the case, but the phone was fine! If the scrapes bother me too much, I'll get a new case. But that will save me roughly $650! Call me clumsy if you want, but I'll show you thousands of others just like me. If I was you, I'd knock on wood one more time.
    08-06-15 10:47 AM
    Silver was probably developed for a specific carrier, my guess T-Mobile, who decided not to buy the phone. When that carrier said no, BlackBerry decided it liked the device and thought a refresh might boost sales.

As for who else does this, Samsung does. It makes an S6 and an S6 active, which is just an S6 in a different case.

I don't think that anyone thinks that this is the phone that is going to save BlackBerry. This is just something to prop up sales on the year old Passport. It'll keep things going for a few months until Slider is released.

I like the way it looks. The silver and black contrast is something I hope we see on Slider.

Posted via CB10
    Which both came out around the same time with new internals from previous Samsungs. Not a year or more later with the same internals.
    08-06-15 10:56 AM
    Samsung did not release any of those "variant" devices as their "new flagship", certainly not a year after the release of the Galaxy series. What BlackBerry has done is the equivalent of Samsung taking their S6 devices now and releasing them next year as S7 flagship after just changing the case. Therefore, no, this has not been done so far with a flagship device. Your example is incorrect.

Posted via CB10
    Uh no my example is perfect.

First the Passport isn't a year old so they are still within the "different color/style window" it is not like the device is three years old.

Second
    Am I the only one who hates the Silver Edition?-img_20150806_125355.png

See how it is not called Passport 2 Silver????? It is called Passport Silver Edition!!! I have never heard or seen advertising stating this is their "New Flagship"

On a side note as to looks I am on the fence. But hey I thought the HTC one is super ugly, and think the iPhone 6 is the only good looking iPhone ever. So if I am on the fence with the Silver Edition it can't be that bad.

Posted with Z30
    08-06-15 01:59 PM
    I love it. Fells great in the hand and reminds me of an old camera, especially with the new lens on the back.
    Am I the only one who hates the Silver Edition?-1024px-old_camera-whole.jpg

Posted via CB10
    08-06-15 02:13 PM
    Why hate? I don't like the design because I prefer the hard edges of the original Passport.

But why hate? Did the silver Passport anything to anyone?!

モーニング娘。15 ... my BlackBerryZ : Storm9500, Torch9860, Bold9900, Z10, Passport
    anon(5830442) likes this.
    08-06-15 03:35 PM
229 ... 34567 ...