Design concepts aside, if the new Passport solves the manufacturing issues that plagued some users in the past then I would think it was an actual improvement from the original.

Posted via CB10 from Passport
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    08-05-15 05:25 AM
    In terms of the design, the black passport has legacy vs the more contemporary look of the silver. No doubt the silver model adds refinement on the original. As an aside, I personally don't like how metal phones feel but this is a beautiful addition. Long term, I believe the black is the embodiment of iconic hardware design, worthy of sitting next to IBM's Thinkpad, Psion 7 or HP's watch (see pic. This evokes the same presence whenever I see a Black/Gold passport). Somehow, the silver doesn't have the same gravitas since it wasn't the original but with that frame, it promises to be the real keeper.

Am I the only one who hates the Silver Edition?-hp-smart-watch-1977-calculator-designboom-101.jpg

 Passport via CB10
    anon(5830442) likes this.
    08-05-15 05:33 AM
    wow, hate is such a strong word y'know....

i agree the silver Passport isnt as "sleek and chic" as the original Passport design, so yeah generally speaking it isnt as charmingly pretty as the first edition Passports. but this "industrial strength-aesthetic" (for lack of a better term) does have its appeal, i find it as gorgeous as the original Passports, although the draw is quite different.

im still in a crisis on which versions to get, or if i should really pray harder to the Patience deities and hold off until the Slider arrives.
    08-05-15 05:43 AM
    I still prefer the black one to any other version so I will keep mine, however this silver edition might bring back the relevance to the form factor, so here's to hoping they can stir up the pot again and get more people looking at it again.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-15 05:52 AM
    The Silver Edition looks OK to me, and looks more sturdier, but at the end of the day, I still prefer the original black Passport. Black is classy!

Osores odierint! Cave, cave, moderator videt
    08-05-15 05:59 AM
    It's beautiful, wish I hadn't bought the original.I met someone who wanted to buy mine a few weeks ago,might ask him to make an offer,now.
    08-05-15 06:28 AM
    No, you're not the only one, there are a lot of people here who (will) agree with you. But there are a lot of people loving the new design. I'm rocking the black Passport since December '14 and the Silver edition is refreshing and looks awesome. Perhaps you'll have to wait till you see the phone in person!
    08-05-15 06:54 AM
    I ordered it, I think it looks executive, and I'm looking forward to the improved keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-15 07:15 AM
    Yep!

Posted via CB10
    08-05-15 07:41 AM
    I don't mind it, but I am very happy with Big Red and won't be changing any time soon.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-15 07:56 AM
    I think the silver and the red passports are friggin sexy
    08-05-15 08:13 AM
    Me too. They did not fix my passport 1 now they are releasing another buggyy device...

Posted via CB10
    Are you waiting for a "special agent (technician)" to come to your front door to fix your phone if you purportedly have issues? Not everyone's PP is buggy.
    08-05-15 08:20 AM
    OP, I'm glad it's just your personal opinion because you don't make any sense. Misery loves company, ain't that right? TO EACH THEIR OWN; I have gone SILVER already.
    08-05-15 08:25 AM
    Maybe you were the only one...I love the silver edition anyway.

From the cutest Q10
    08-05-15 08:25 AM
    Hate is. bit too strong of a word for me. I definitely dislike the form. The corners do not appear to be uniform.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-15 08:33 AM
    The Specs on the Passport are top notch. OS 10 isn't built to be in a specs race, the Passport needed refinement and here it is. Most of us blackberry users appreciate the re design and are more than happy with the exact same specs. The phone is $550 brand new unlocked with a ton of accessories. Iphones and androids with the same specs retail for 700-900$ and they still lag etc. The Passport is a great device I'm glad they recognize that and refined it accordingly.

Posted via CB10
    Spec's are top notch? Compared to what? Other BlackBerry's apparently, the Passport performance can't touch anything from either Apple or Samsung. Lag? Are you serious? There is zero lag on an iPhone... Let me guess you think because it has only 1 or 2GB of RAM it must be below specs and performance than a device that has more. The Qualcomm MSM8974AA Snapdragon 801 2150 MHz (4 cores) in the Passport still can't touch the Apple A7 1300 MHz (2 cores) which is almost 2 generations old now. I guess you're also the same guy that thinks more mega pixels = better camera. I guess the new 13MP camera on the new silver Passport is somehow better than my 12MP Nikon D700....

It's clear that BlackBerry is trying to make the passport look like a premium product by making it sliver, and making the back look like a Leica silver anodized camera. Unfortunately you can paint a garbage can whatever colour you want, it's still a garbage can.

BlackBerry Geek Bench: BlackBerry Benchmarks - Geekbench Browser
    iOS Geek Bench: iPhone, iPad, and iPod Benchmarks - Geekbench Browser
    Android Geek Bench: Android Benchmarks - Geekbench Browser

Look familiar?

Am I the only one who hates the Silver Edition?-leica-x2-silver-anodised-order-no.-18452_teaser-1200x800.jpg

Am I the only one who hates the Silver Edition?-original.png
    FairlightRacing likes this.
    08-05-15 08:40 AM
    Nope I hate it because it is yet more time wasted on a former factor that isn't selling well for a niche that is shrinking rapidly. It is keeping the company from getting the Slider or an all touch upgrade for Z users to market. No way should they have released three versions of a poor selling phone in a less than a year. That combined with the jokes that is the Classic and Leap make this the absolute worse product portfolio in the industry.

Posted via Z30
    08-05-15 08:57 AM
    I'd have to see it in person. The photos don't make me want to get one.
    08-05-15 08:59 AM
    Spec's are top notch? Compared to what? Other BlackBerry's apparently, the Passport performance can't touch anything from either Apple or Samsung. Lag? Are you serious? There is zero lag on an iPhone... Let me guess you think because it has only 1 or 2GB of RAM it must be below specs and performance than a device that has more. The Qualcomm MSM8974AA Snapdragon 801 2150 MHz (4 cores) in the Passport still can't touch the Apple A7 1300 MHz (2 cores) which is almost 2 generations old now. I guess you're also the same guy that thinks more mega pixels = better camera. I guess the new 13MP camera on the new silver Passport is somehow better than my 12MP Nikon D700....

It's clear that BlackBerry is trying to make the passport look like a premium product by making it sliver, and making the back look like a Leica silver anodized camera. Unfortunately you can paint a garbage can whatever colour you want, it's still a garbage can.

Look familiar?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leica-X2,-silver-anodised-Order-no.-18452_teaser-1200x800.jpg 
Views:	1754 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	365399

Name:	original.png 
Views:	1813 
Size:	213.4 KB 
ID:	365400
    Oh please, I have an iPad mini 3. The ui does lag from time to time, if I open 3-4 apps like safari, messenger, skype and something else it already starts reloading tabs in safari and reloading apps too because it only has 1gb of ram

Posted via CB10
    RLTurn77 likes this.
    08-05-15 09:57 AM
    Someone needs to just tear down the new silver edition and powder coat that frame black.
    08-05-15 10:19 AM
    Someone needs to just tear down the new silver edition and powder coat that frame black.
    This is absolutely true. I'd have greatly preferred a black version. Maybe it will be built correctly and will be easily disassembled (unlike the Classic).

As for the standard Silver, I'm curious as to why they didn't offer any brown, leather accessories to complete the vintage look.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-15 10:47 AM
    Oh please, I have an iPad mini 3. The ui does lag from time to time, if I open 3-4 apps like safari, messenger, skype and something else it already starts reloading tabs in safari and reloading apps too because it only has 1gb of ram

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I have to agree with this. iOS on an iPhone and iPad does lag, quite a bit actually. I use an iPhone 6 Plus and a BlackBerry Passport and generally the Passport is smoother when under load. Memory is an issue on iOS devices.

Where iOS devices obliterate the BlackBerry 10 is in gaming performance and in media playback performance, mostly due to better optimization and some programming to the metal that happens on iOS but not on BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-15 10:50 AM
    I don't hate the Passport, but I have never really fallen for the square design of the original Passport, I like the curve edges (hence part of the reason why I got the Classic). After having seen (and set up) two of the AT&T Passports, I actually like that design better than the original Passport or the Silver Edition. The curves on the AT&T design makes the phone easier to grip and use, doesn't make it look too big, and still gives the phone a distinctive classy look and feel (I didn't know little "curves" here and there could do all that for you. LOL). The "square top, curved bottom" design of the Silver Edition..., nah, not for me..., I am getting the AT&T version.
    08-05-15 10:52 AM
    Everyone has his or her taste, but this phone isn't for me. I don't appreciate the decision of reshaping Passport. I like my black,solid black,red, and white Passports. I am so not going to get this one.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-15 10:52 AM

Look familiar?

Name:	Leica-X2,-silver-anodised-Order-no.-18452_teaser-1200x800.jpg 
Views:	1754 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	365399

Name:	original.png 
Views:	1813 
Size:	213.4 KB 
ID:	365400
    Do you actually own a Passport? I don't have an iPhone so I never say iPhone is laggy. It is a toy. How can you expect a toy to be laggy?

Posted via CB10
    08-05-15 10:56 AM
229 12345 ...