If we're wishing, I'll wish for tungsten carbide!

Posted with my BlackBerry Z10!
    What's the advantage of it?

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    07-24-14 04:42 AM
    Why not adamantium?
    07-24-14 09:02 AM
    Of course it picks up scratches, but if you try wearing a watch made of aluminum, that'll be a silly idea...

Aluminum is great metal for some other field but on a phone is just not good at all.
    Too soft too weak too light and even feels bad in your hand. And the color changes over time.

Never said that, but I won't bother going down the materials chemistry road, unless someone here can at least talk the talk.

Of all the watch case and bracelet materials, I'm sure they won't use titanium because it lacks hardness, even though it's strong. So the most cost effective solution is still steel. Tungsten carbide would be interesting, but the manufacturing process would be a problem.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    07-24-14 11:12 PM
    I like the Magnesium idea. If I'm in a survival situation I could always get shavings from it to start a fire even in wet conditions. Or I could just use it to call for help.
    I was wondering when the grade 9 science comments were going to start coming

Posted Pantlessly via My Kick @ss Z30!!!
    763822705 likes this.
    07-25-14 12:11 AM
    Tungsten carbide is one of the hardest alloys known. It is extremely unlikely that you would scratch it in normal daily activities.

Titanium carbide is similar, but not as hard. It?s a little more flexible, too. The two alloys have different colours, but I think that they would look great on a phone - especially a BlackBerry.

You can Google some nice photos of the two. They are being used in the jewellery industry now because of their hardness and weight.

763822705 likes this.
    07-25-14 07:59 AM
    Tungsten carbide is one of the hardest alloys known. It is extremely unlikely that you would scratch it in normal daily activities.

Titanium carbide is similar, but not as hard. It?s a little more flexible, too. The two alloys have different colours, but I think that they would look great on a phone - especially a BlackBerry.

You can Google some nice photos of the two. They are being used in the jewellery industry now because of their hardness and weight.

They are ceramics, NOT alloys.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    07-25-14 07:20 PM
    Never said that, but I won't bother going down the materials chemistry road, unless someone here can at least talk the talk.

Of all the watch case and bracelet materials, I'm sure they won't use titanium because it lacks hardness, even though it's strong. So the most cost effective solution is still steel. Tungsten carbide would be interesting, but the manufacturing process would be a problem.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    There're many many watches made of titanium.

07-25-14 07:50 PM
    They are ceramics, NOT alloys.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    My mistake!

07-25-14 08:55 PM
    What about a *magical* element which usually is introduced by Apple? Lol 😆

07-25-14 09:15 PM
    There're many many watches made of titanium.

Indeed, one of my watches is part of the "many many". In the first month it looked worse than the 316L steel bracelet on my current daily wear watch that I've had for over three years. If there is a concern about having the type of scratching issue on the iPhone, then Ti is the last of the watch metals to use on the Passport.

Speaking of watches, I'd love to see a Porsche Design version of the Passport use platinum or gold (white, yellow or gold).

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    07-25-14 09:51 PM
    N4BB have released specs that the P'9983, Khan will be made up of carbon and steel

Z10 - 10.3.0.700 w/ .296
    07-26-14 03:37 AM
    How to clean or better yet remove scratches from the stainless steel on Passport SE. Thanks
    11-01-15 11:00 PM
37 12