I feel the same way about my car. Changed the engine last week. Next month new transmission. Spring , Ill be happily breaking a lot of EPA laws painting the car myself in the back yard and make shift spray booth.
    11-01-14 01:38 PM
    Not normal what you have, I have none of these issues and I am using the phone for about 4 weeks.
    As others suggested, looks like a software issue, the only way is to wipe the phone and install the OS again.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    11-01-14 01:49 PM
    I just did a non-destructive update to my Z10 using Sachesi and all my data remained untouched. No issues so far so I'd highly recommend that the OP try this first before wiping.

Sachesi shows 10.3.0.908 as the latest version from Rogers.

Select the "upgrade" option to search and download individual files. Sachesi will save them all in a folder named for the OS version and when it is done, click on the install tab and select install from folder and await the magical results.
    PapiPabs likes this.
    11-01-14 02:09 PM
    Thank you to all who have contributed to this thread, it's appreciated. I can't respond to each and every one of you so I'll try my best to give fuller details:

1) Tried to back up on my wife's MacBook Pro but with the same results; Link doesn't recognise the device;
    2) Ran successful back ups of my old Z30 on both the Mac and PC;
    3) Tried to do a factory reset but without Link recognising the device it just sits there and does nothing;
    4) With information given to me by @blackberryhelp I've checked that all my settings on my Passport and PC are correct;
    5) Sachesi sees my device.

That's all I remember for now. Will give more details if or when they come to mind.
    As I said, if you can't do any of that and it's giving you troubles and you reach your wit's end with the phone, give it a last shot by using an app to backup contacts and stuff, sicwipe the phone, and autoload the latest official 10.3.0.908 for your Passport. If that STILL doesn't work, I'd contact BlackBerry through your carrier (or BlackBerry directly if you bought it outright from them) and get it replaced.

I've had an amazing experience with mine even with my minor troubles and I'd hate to see you miss out because of some buggy software!

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 04:09 PM
    Where these threads are very informative is where it shows that if most people do not have the issue the OP speaks of then you either have to look at an OS issue or a Hardware issue... not the device as a whole..... if this was a device wide issue... Faulty hub function, battery etc the forum would be wall to wall complaints... as every new device will have faulty units... why the OP would not consider this option is beyond me... amazes me how we all tend to personalize out devices... "if I am having a problem must be all the devices"..... perhaps the Passport is not for the OP.. I have gone through countless first gen phones... Heck my original Iphone 4 went back 3 times in one month for various issues .... was replaced each time... not sure if coming to a forum... telling everyone how much trouble the device is... would not find this a great selling point.....
    Pleassseee use the <enter> button and press next line, it's extremely hard to read your comments like this and frankly, just not worth the effort of trying to separate your main points..

Posted via CB10
    TGR1 likes this.
    11-01-14 04:11 PM
    Wait... he refuses to do a security wipe because he will lose data, but he's okay with returning it? Won't he lose the data either way?
    11-01-14 04:27 PM
    I just did a non-destructive update to my Z10 using Sachesi and all my data remained untouched. No issues so far so I'd highly recommend that the OP try this first before wiping.

Sachesi shows 10.3.0.908 as the latest version from Rogers.

Select the "upgrade" option to search and download individual files. Sachesi will save them all in a folder named for the OS version and when it is done, click on the install tab and select install from folder and await the magical results.
    ^this. If Sachesi is seeing your device, you should be able to do a non-destructive update this way. No need to worry about a backup.

Posted via BBCB10PP
    11-01-14 04:53 PM
    That's why you never rush to get a new device. Sucks. My passport works great. But hopefully It's the OS and not your phone
    11-01-14 05:14 PM
    I had problems when installing Blend which caused my Link to dissapear. I was unable to install either.

What worked for me was to use a Windows restore point to just before I attempted the install. This worked and I was able to install both programs.

Also, can you backup most of your items to your SD card? That way you don't need to rely on Link so much and you can do a fresh wipe which may resolve all your issues.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 05:36 PM
    Put the device in airplane mode then see if it gets recognized when you plug in USB

Posted via CB10
    eldrover likes this.
    11-01-14 07:02 PM
    Good luck making a return to digital river. You may be scammed
    11-01-14 07:22 PM
    I like the way you phrase, "to/for me it's on issue." I respect your thorough review of the issues thy you are having. If more people articulated as well I fell less issues with launches will happen. I trust since you wrote such a thorough review you have looked at a swap for another PP In case you had bad model. Good luck to you and I hope you can find your wy back.
    11-01-14 07:31 PM
    Put the device in airplane mode then see if it gets recognized when you plug in USB

Posted via CB10
    Another test is to put the device into airplane mode and see how long the battery lasts. If you get phenomenal life, you know the issue is with some application polling through your wireless connections. If it's still sub part, the issue is either a hung application that's running your cpu higher, or just plain defective device.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 07:39 PM
    ^this. If Sachesi is seeing your device, you should be able to do a non-destructive update this way. No need to worry about a backup.
    After all the threads on CrackBerry, about failed upgrades and all, you cannot seriously suggest to not make a backup if you’re worried about your data. Why not make a backup? Sachesi does backups too, a lot more reliably and faster than Link ever did. The latter is rubbish, it hasn’t worked properly on my Mac for months.
    11-01-14 08:05 PM
    I will assume you have downloaded Android apps. But I will not touch this issue, because people should pay close attention to what Snowden said!
    ++
    Whenever I think I need an Android app, even work-related serious ones like OpenOffice or juiceSSH, and I see what permissions they ask for (which I cannot change) or registration, I give up immediately.
    11-01-14 08:59 PM
    I'm just about to buy a new BB Passport. But now I'm not sure I gonna buy one
    11-01-14 10:59 PM
    After all the threads on CrackBerry, about failed upgrades and all, you cannot seriously suggest to not make a backup if you�re worried about your data.
    In this specific case, and given that a non-destructive update via Sachesi is being suggested, I absolutely can. I have had non-destructive updates that did not go as planned, but the end result was the device being left with the original OS, ready for another attempt. All data intact.

I'm not saying that backups are totally useless, and that nobody should ever bother. Just saying it may not be necessary in this case given the issues the OP is having trying to connect.

Posted via BBCB10PP
    11-01-14 11:22 PM
    After a week with the Passport, and encountering none of the issues that OP raises, I can only echo all the advice seen here about trying a clean reinstall of the OS, but I will add this: I also had a problem with Blend (and the same might be true with Link). Although I was getting the appropriate messages about "is the code shown on your phone the same as on this computer"?", it turned out that, although my wi-fi connection was showing that it was connected to my (named) house network, on closer examination, it appeared that the IP address that the phone had picked up was in a totally different range. I had seen this effect before on computers, and I knew what the cure was. My local network IP range was as standard, ie 192.168.1.xxx. The phone was giving its ID as 163.xxx.xxx.xxx Don't know why, but I did a manual setup on the phone network, manually set its address to one in the 192.168 range, and - bingo, it connected. No problems since. So, maybe there's something in the setup that is giving you problems.

Good luck with the rest of the issues, and whatever you do to solve them.
    11-01-14 11:53 PM
    I'll echo a few others, if you are returning the device you will lose everything anyway. Wipe and start over. Jeez.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 01:27 AM
    The first issue was with battery life, I wasn't getting anywhere near the claimed time despite using my Passport lightly in the first couple of weeks

I'm atm on 24 hours and 31% left..

The second issue is, to me, far more troubling. Ever since the phone was new I've had issues with opening the Hub.

never had this.

The third issue is far more recent and to many may not be a big deal at all, but to me it's as important. I cannot connect to Link or Blend.

Both works fine.

Ever tought it might be you and not the phone?
    wincyUt likes this.
    11-02-14 05:32 AM
    Thanks for all the posts, including the anti ones. I won't be able to shuffle through them all until Monday or Tuesday at the earliest I'm busy with a far more important thing until then; my family.

Just so everyone knows I can't do a clean install as I can't reset or wipe my device unless there's a way to do it without Link. If it were that easy I would have done it already.
    11-02-14 06:31 AM
    Thanks for all the posts, including the anti ones. I won't be able to shuffle through them all until Monday or Tuesday at the earliest I'm busy with a far more important thing until then; my family.

Just so everyone knows I can't do a clean install as I can't reset or wipe my device unless there's a way to do it without Link. If it were that easy I would have done it already.
    Settings -> Security -> Security wipe.

Has been there since.. let me think? PlayBook OS back in 2011 and OS 10.0 and higher?
    11-02-14 06:34 AM
    Well aren't you just a bundle of joy!

Thanks
    chinmay007 likes this.
    11-02-14 07:04 AM
    I love it when people come onto the forums and say they "don't care" about the opinions of the other readers of this site. You managed to say it twice in your opening paragraph. If you "don't care" about anyone's opinion here, why have you created the thread?

You then, within the first ten posts reject all attempts at suggesting a solution.

If you don't care about anyone's opinion, and you don't want to listen to suggestions.... ahhh it's not worth my time typing this. Have fun with whatever you decide.

Si.
    11-02-14 07:08 AM
    Try a replace.

STL1 10.3.1.821
    11-02-14 07:30 AM
138 ... 23456