11-05-14 07:52 AM
138 12345 ...
tools
    You are right to be concerned and it is unfortunate that you felt wary of backlash. We all love BlackBerry and want to make our experiences better. We achieve this by discussing problems and finding solutions; sharing experiences both good and bad.
    Posted via CB10
    The one thing I have a concern about the OP's post is that they never asked for solutions. Just want to tell about the problems. Never gave any information that forum members could use to help him. Doesn't sound like he wants help. OP, give us information to help solve your problem.
    Mr Bigs likes this.
    11-01-14 10:54 AM
    OP - Sounds to me like you're a BlackBerry fan (or at least were), and you're having some real issues. We've all been there.

The LCD display (I know from the Z10) is a REAL battery hog. I keep my brightness as low as possible. I also owned a Z30 and thought that screen was more efficient (though not as bright).

Also, be sure to disable any auto sending of data of all sorts. That uses resources unnecessarily. There are several places in the OS that are setup to send data. I'll share where to look separately.

The Link problem has plagued many. Can you install it on another pc to see if it'll work? I often had different luck using my home vs work computer. At least you can get a backup done? & try a new OS.

Good luck! Hopefully you'll get past these issues.

Posted via CB10 using my Passport
    11-01-14 10:54 AM
    And if you manage to get a back up done, try using SIC Wipe before you re load the OS.
    11-01-14 10:57 AM
    Sorry to hear your negative experience but I have the opposite experience. Battery is amazing for me, I consider myself a moderate to heavy user and I'm only charging my phone every 2nd night. So far, I haven't had any data lost or anything close to that experience. Blend worked instantly for me when I first plugged the phone in to my MacBook and from there it's all wireless connectivity. Plain and simple setup. I assure you this is my genuine user experience. You might have a defective hardware or maybe try a clean wipe on your phone and start from scratch to see if anything changes for you.
    11-01-14 11:06 AM
    I have an iPhone 6 plus, want to make a trade.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 11:08 AM
    Jonesy, I have had all three issues and I can attribute all three to software.

Below worked for me, all issues are gone.

1. Battery Life - set all android apps not be able to run minimized. After a few hours my battery life started getting better and better. Also, made a few other normal changes like screen brightness, NFC off etc.
    2.Hub - Reset the hub with 5 swipes from upper right towards the middle. Got to be quick. It will rest the hub. Once I did it I just left the hub open and walked away from the phone for 30 minutes.
    3. Blend - Firewall, Firewall, Firewall. Ended up removing AVG, rebooted Windows 7 and the loaded Microsoft Security Essentials and everything worked smooth both at home and at the office.

This worked for me and maybe they will help you. Don't give up the ship just yet. The Passport is a great device and we are going to have software glitches, but BlackBerry will get them worked out.

Posted via CB 10 on my BlackBerry Passport Superphone
    11-01-14 11:09 AM
    This is not hardware issue at all. Definitely not Passport issue.
    1. Your settings are problem here. Usually as with 90% battery drain issues it is your mobile network or Wifi settings.
    2. Software issue, try resetting hub.
    3. Your PC issue. If you can't uninstall a software from your PC then you are the problem not a mobile phone.
    11-01-14 11:14 AM
    I have an iPhone 6 plus, want to make a trade.

Posted via CB10
    I'll trade you. PM me. I can sell the 6 Plus then and get another Passport.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 11:31 AM
    I would say for the hub issue be careful of your imap settings. Could cause issues if you don't set up an account correctly.
    Only issue I have is the camera focus lag. Battery performance has been very good. On the occasion it was bad I found a sketchy android app was the culprit.

Posted with my 5 week old superb Passport!
    11-01-14 11:41 AM
    If you haven't put 10.3.1 on your passport, you haven't given it a fair shot
    11-01-14 11:50 AM
    I know some people are going to attack this post but quite frankly I don't care, I'm at my whit's end with my Passport, a device I thought held such great promise for BlackBerry but the issues that I've been having recently calls into question my trust for this device to get me through the work day reliably. I know some of you are going to suggest I'm a troll without any substantive evidence to support that claim, again, I don't care. If that's what gets you through the day then I guess that's what you've got to do.

I've had 3 independent issues with my Passport, perhaps on their own they're quite minor, but taken as a whole it doesn't bode well for me.

The first issue was with battery life, I wasn't getting anywhere near the claimed time despite using my Passport lightly in the first couple of weeks. Although the battery life has improved I'm still having to charge it up every night after a day's worth of light use. When I say light, I mean light. It's a quiet time in my business right now, one that should pass in the next few weeks. In the last few weeks I'm answering an average of 5 emails a day and making and receiving 2-3 calls a day. I never keep active frames open and check Twitter once or twice a day. Even with that minimum amount of usage I'm down to about 20-25% at the end of the day and no amount of adjusting settings or switching things off seems to help. I'd hate to think what battery life is going to be like when things get busy again.

The second issue is, to me, far more troubling. Ever since the phone was new I've had issues with opening the Hub. Not every time mind you, I'm guessing the issue arose once every 5 or 6 opens. I would slide to open the hub and the list went haywire! It would charge up and down the Hub randomly and spastically. It would normally settle down after about 20 seconds or so, but sometimes it would do this for over a minute. It doesn't do it anymore. The last time it did that I was watching it as usual, waiting for it to settle, when ALL emails and texts suddenly disappeared, were completely deleted. This happened right in front of my eyes, I couldn't believe it when it happened, I sat there staring waiting for them to come back. BBMs survived but emails and texts were completely erased. Fortunately most, not all, were still on the server, but this didn't exactly instil confidence in the Passport.

The third issue is far more recent and to many may not be a big deal at all, but to me it's as important. I cannot connect to Link or Blend. Blend's not so important but I need to run regular backup with Link when things get busy and I can't even do that. Once this issue started I checked that my computer was reading my drives; it was. I contacted @blackberryhelp yesterday and they got me to check the settings and do a whole bunch of other things I had already tried to no avail. Last night they said they could no longer help me and I should contact my carrier for further assistance and they could raise the level with BlackBerry Tech Support, trouble is, I bought my Passport from Shop BlackBerry as my carrier no longer carries any BB devices. My carrier refused to help and said go back to BlackBerry. Great. To top it off I can't delete Link or Blend to attempt a reinstall through either Control Panel, Program Files or even the Start Menu, no of them will allow me to. So I'm stuck.

This is by far not the experience I was expecting from my Passport. I've treated this thing with kid gloves and still I can't rely on it. I would go back to my Z30 but my wife's now using it and I gave my Z10 to my mother to try and drag her kicking and screaming into the 21st Century. So I'm back to my ratty old 9900 and I'm not happy about it one little bit but at least it's reliable.

The Passport? It's now sitting on the dining room table with its original shipping packaging waiting for me to find out how to get this thing back to Digital River. I'm sure it'll cost me an arm and a leg in shipping but quite frankly if I can't rely on it then it's worth it. Problem is, what am I going to replace it with? It's not going to be another Passport, perhaps not even another BlackBerry. I never thought I'd see myself typing those words.
    For the first and second issue, i feel you, that's awful.

Luckily, however, all three of those issues can be resolved with a reload of the OS!

First, simply backup your contacts and info either to Outlook or to a third party app like Backup Pro (I've had great experience with them for this device) and DO NOT restore onto this phone. That is awful battery life and glitches just waiting to happen!

Second, grab an autoloader for 10.3.0.908.

Third, get SIC multiwipe and run it with your device connected.

Next, run the autoloader and load the OS for the device.

Almost there, now setup the device like a new one, add all of your emails, connect BBM, connect Twitter, etc.

Finally, restore your info to the device via Outlook/Backup Pro/your backup app.

Finally you should get a great battery life after the first couple of days, though immediately you should notice a better battery life than you previously were experiencing!

I'm down to 20% at night if it's a really rough day with VERY heavy usage and lots of android apps open throughout the day.

Also, another thing that can kill your battery is accounts not fully setup.
    If you have say, LinkedIn or FourSquare installed but not setup, it can kill your battery! Just uninstall them or set them up! :P

Best of luck there sir!

Edit:

Also, on the Link front, just kill the process or reboot your computer, unplug the USB and if you have a different cable, find it.

Once the OS on the phone has been reloaded, do the above step, then connect the phone via a different USB (preferably the one that came with the phone) to a different port.

I know a different USB cable shouldn't affect it, but it did the job for me! Happy using Link to sync my music on my device now!

Edit edit:

Just adding a disclaimer to say that i was getting the "Device Setup Incomplete " on Link with my Passport after using it for a couple weeks out of nowhere. None of the fixes anyone could come up with would fix it. I ended up doing the sic wipe followed by autoload reinstall. Tried it again, still didn't work! (keep in mind i had already reloaded Link and deleted any trace of BlackBerry on my laptop multiple times). Finally i then tried a different cable and usb port, voila, it worked!

Worth mentioning that when Link wouldn't recognize the device, neither would the Chrome Sideloading Extension, Sachesi, or the dedicated app for Sideloading Snap.
    The only thing that finally fixed it was the process above.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by D3C0D3R; 11-01-14 at 12:22 PM.
    11-01-14 12:12 PM
    I am currently setting up my passport and the battery life is worse than with the Z10. Still waiting for my nano SIM from T-Mobile so on wifi. After about 30 minutes of light use 90% battery left browsing etc. I like the other elements of the device yet attery life is key. Definitely will give it some time and test with email etc.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 12:22 PM
    Thank you to all who have contributed to this thread, it's appreciated. I can't respond to each and every one of you so I'll try my best to give fuller details:

1) Tried to back up on my wife's MacBook Pro but with the same results; Link doesn't recognise the device;
    2) Ran successful back ups of my old Z30 on both the Mac and PC;
    3) Tried to do a factory reset but without Link recognising the device it just sits there and does nothing;
    4) With information given to me by @blackberryhelp I've checked that all my settings on my Passport and PC are correct;
    5) Sachesi sees my device.

That's all I remember for now. Will give more details if or when they come to mind.
    11-01-14 12:32 PM
    Did you run BBVE???
    11-01-14 12:42 PM
    Sorry, I won't do a sideload without being able to do a backup first. As Link doesn't want to play nicely with my Passport, I can't run back ups.
    It is may be something on your computer that won't let link back up your PP - I have the same exact problem on my desktop computer, I have spent countless hours trying to figure it out as like you I will not do anything with the phone without a backup.
    I finally gave up on it - then I thought hmmm, maybe I should try another computer so I loaded Link up on my laptop and low and behold absolutely no problems doing quick, custom or full backups, then just to be sure I tested the backups by restoring the files to my Z30 and all went well. So to this day I still don't know why my desktop which isn't very old will not backup my PP. I checked for viruses, malware, driver issues, etc, etc. but still no go on the desktop
    11-01-14 12:57 PM
    As many others suggested, send it to BlackBerry and get a replacement. I never ran into any of the issues you mentioned and battery life is excellent. 30 hours on average with phone calls, loads of email and texting.

It is bad that you had to make this experience but at the end you just had bad luck getting a flawed device. I have no doubts that a replacement will make you change your mind.

Posted via CB10 using an awesome Passport
    11-01-14 01:02 PM
    ...so return the device because it is defective.

This isn't criticism of the Passport, it's criticism of your defective device.
    11-01-14 01:06 PM
    Jonesy,

It's a real drag to have this happen to you with little support other than from fellow cb'ers here. I have had issues with Blend and Link won't connect on wifi only via USB cable at this time.

The passport is literally one month new, I suggest return it because and get a replacement because the hub issues are what would be my main point of contention. That software piece isn't communicating well with the hardware of the passport. That's a telltale sign. Coming from a z10 and z30 I've had hub issues and can say that it's definitely hardware and software integration. Once I received a good replacement they were great phones.

I think you'll be pleased at the replacement if it's up to snuff, if not the z30 is a great phone that was better than my passport for battery life easily 1.5 days with heavy mixed use of 4 email accounts, calls for about 2 hours a day, web browsing, facebook, Linkedin (which is supposed to be a memory hog on bb10), music playing, youtube watching at night. The sound from speakers is better on the z30 than the passport and louder.

Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 01:12 PM
    What do you mean by these two statements??
    I will assume you have downloaded Android apps. But I will not touch this issue, because people should pay close attention to what Snowden said! My advice to you is to do a complete wipe of the phone and do not install ???? on your phone. .
    11-01-14 01:12 PM
    Battery live is 20% a day only using when i get message or email. But at work using it the all day and talking people it get me one day till 20-40% depending how much time i had for surfing internet and listing to music.

Connecting to blend since day one was easy. just fill in your account name and password and it is wifi connected.

You starting not to bully about the Phone but the idea is that you Phone battery is no good and your OS is not good and maybe swap it, because I and a friend of mine both using the Passport without any issues with 10.3.1.1016 at the moment

The hub , I have no idea how you get problems in there but it works fine since i used the z10,Z30 and now the Passport.
    11-01-14 01:18 PM
    I know some people are going to attack this post but quite frankly I don't care, I'm at my whit's end with my Passport, a device I thought held such great promise for BlackBerry but the issues that I've been having recently calls into question my trust for this device to get me through the work day reliably. I know some of you are going to suggest I'm a troll without any substantive evidence to support that claim, again, I don't care. If that's what gets you through the day then I guess that's what you've got to do.

I've had 3 independent issues with my Passport, perhaps on their own they're quite minor, but taken as a whole it doesn't bode well for me.

The first issue was with battery life, I wasn't getting anywhere near the claimed time despite using my Passport lightly in the first couple of weeks. Although the battery life has improved I'm still having to charge it up every night after a day's worth of light use. When I say light, I mean light. It's a quiet time in my business right now, one that should pass in the next few weeks. In the last few weeks I'm answering an average of 5 emails a day and making and receiving 2-3 calls a day. I never keep active frames open and check Twitter once or twice a day. Even with that minimum amount of usage I'm down to about 20-25% at the end of the day and no amount of adjusting settings or switching things off seems to help. I'd hate to think what battery life is going to be like when things get busy again.

The second issue is, to me, far more troubling. Ever since the phone was new I've had issues with opening the Hub. Not every time mind you, I'm guessing the issue arose once every 5 or 6 opens. I would slide to open the hub and the list went haywire! It would charge up and down the Hub randomly and spastically. It would normally settle down after about 20 seconds or so, but sometimes it would do this for over a minute. It doesn't do it anymore. The last time it did that I was watching it as usual, waiting for it to settle, when ALL emails and texts suddenly disappeared, were completely deleted. This happened right in front of my eyes, I couldn't believe it when it happened, I sat there staring waiting for them to come back. BBMs survived but emails and texts were completely erased. Fortunately most, not all, were still on the server, but this didn't exactly instil confidence in the Passport.

The third issue is far more recent and to many may not be a big deal at all, but to me it's as important. I cannot connect to Link or Blend. Blend's not so important but I need to run regular backup with Link when things get busy and I can't even do that. Once this issue started I checked that my computer was reading my drives; it was. I contacted @blackberryhelp yesterday and they got me to check the settings and do a whole bunch of other things I had already tried to no avail. Last night they said they could no longer help me and I should contact my carrier for further assistance and they could raise the level with BlackBerry Tech Support, trouble is, I bought my Passport from Shop BlackBerry as my carrier no longer carries any BB devices. My carrier refused to help and said go back to BlackBerry. Great. To top it off I can't delete Link or Blend to attempt a reinstall through either Control Panel, Program Files or even the Start Menu, no of them will allow me to. So I'm stuck.

This is by far not the experience I was expecting from my Passport. I've treated this thing with kid gloves and still I can't rely on it. I would go back to my Z30 but my wife's now using it and I gave my Z10 to my mother to try and drag her kicking and screaming into the 21st Century. So I'm back to my ratty old 9900 and I'm not happy about it one little bit but at least it's reliable.

The Passport? It's now sitting on the dining room table with its original shipping packaging waiting for me to find out how to get this thing back to Digital River. I'm sure it'll cost me an arm and a leg in shipping but quite frankly if I can't rely on it then it's worth it. Problem is, what am I going to replace it with? It's not going to be another Passport, perhaps not even another BlackBerry. I never thought I'd see myself typing those words.
    As someone planning to get the device shortly I always look out for potential warnings like this, so first off, thanks for sharing.

Now to your points:

1. That's bad but to me this sounds like a software quirk/bug. So it doesn't concern me a bit.
    2. Sounds like 1. It even doesn't sound as if the device erased anything, but rather the HUB getting buggy and the UI passed out and just wasn't able to show what's still there. Which hasn't anything to do with "erasing messages". Probably a restart of the HUB with the 5 finger gesture would've solved it. Again, for me: software quirk and nothing concerning.
    3. Again software to me, nothing to not be fixed and nothing concerning.

Nevertheless sorry it didn't work for you, I can't wait how it'll work for me.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 01:19 PM
    Jonesy, it sounds like the law of large numbers has worked against you. Every platform, every device made by every manufacturer, puts out a hopefully very small number of lemons.

Posted via CB10
    Of course! but the other manufacturers replace the device with a "new" one no questions asked while Blackberry does not and actually tells you "it is not their problem"
    11-01-14 01:20 PM
    As many others suggested, send it to BlackBerry and get a replacement. I never ran into any of the issues you mentioned and battery life is excellent. 30 hours on average with phone calls, loads of email and texting.

It is bad that you had to make this experience but at the end you just had bad luck getting a flawed device. I have no doubts that a replacement will make you change your mind.

Posted via CB10 using an awesome Passport
    As many said don't waste time sending it back because this is not device issue. You don't want a refurbished phone for sure. Try to get your software reloaded and make sure your network settings are correct.
    11-01-14 01:20 PM
    Where these threads are very informative is where it shows that if most people do not have the issue the OP speaks of then you either have to look at an OS issue or a Hardware issue... not the device as a whole..... if this was a device wide issue... Faulty hub function, battery etc the forum would be wall to wall complaints... as every new device will have faulty units... why the OP would not consider this option is beyond me... amazes me how we all tend to personalize out devices... "if I am having a problem must be all the devices"..... perhaps the Passport is not for the OP.. I have gone through countless first gen phones... Heck my original Iphone 4 went back 3 times in one month for various issues .... was replaced each time... not sure if coming to a forum... telling everyone how much trouble the device is... would not find this a great selling point.....
    11-01-14 01:22 PM
    I'm not swapping it, I don't trust the device anymore. Besides they only replace faulty units with reconditioned ones. I'm not paying that much money for a used device. Anyhow, I'll see how I feel after a couple of weeks on my 9900.
    Look. You're being told your device is not adding up to what we have. Take it or leave it. The fact that YOU don't trust it shows complete ignorance for those of us telling you you got a dud. Happens with every phone. ..ohhhhh god why am I entertaining this jive.

Posted via CB10
    Spawn12, wincyUt and Mr Bigs like this.
    11-01-14 01:35 PM
138 12345 ...