I'm just about to buy a new BB Passport. But now I'm not sure I gonna buy one
    Lol just lol...your loss buddy. It's a great phone and yes there are a few with problems but that shouldn't put you off getting one.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 07:35 AM
    I would do a back up and restore the device. If that doesn't work return it. The Passport is an amazing device and I have no issues or issues like the one you described here. I would do that without hesitation. The phone is not suppose to operate in that manor. Good luck

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 07:44 AM
    Yes, it's most probably a defective device but I will need to rely very heavily on my device in a few weeks time, I'm no longer convinced that the Passport will be reliable enough.
    For being a Crackberry Master, "I would assume you know how to upgrade and tweek and test your device." If that don't work a replacement would have been the first choice, not just bail" Hmmmmmmmmm!! IMHO
    11-02-14 08:14 AM
    The phone is amazing. Few small glitches. But truly a work of excellent engineering. Makes me fall in love with BlackBerry all over again.

Posted with my 5 week old superb Passport!
    11-02-14 08:19 AM
    Yes, it's most probably a defective device but I will need to rely very heavily on my device in a few weeks time, I'm no longer convinced that the Passport will be reliable enough.
    One potentially defective device and you write off all Passports? Seems a bit drastic to me.
    Spawn12 and marzfreerider like this.
    11-02-14 08:25 AM
    Another test is to put the device into airplane mode and see how long the battery lasts. If you get phenomenal life, you know the issue is with some application polling through your wireless connections. If it's still sub part, the issue is either a hung application that's running your cpu higher, or just plain defective device.
    I put my Q10 into airplane mode, specifically to compare the battery drain, and the best I got was a projected 30 hours from fully charged to zero. On light to no use of my Q10 I am barely getting 23 hours of battery life to empty. I would also power cycle the device before putting it into airplane mode just to reset things.

If someone has the time to put their Passport into Airplane Mode for at least three hours and analyze the drain using BaSA that would be very helpful. 'total % lost/mins. elapsed' if possible
    11-02-14 08:45 AM
    One potentially defective device and you write off all Passports? Seems a bit drastic to me.
    Exactly what I'm thinking and others saying that they won't buy it due to one person having issues with it.

Truly mind boggling comments by some in here.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 09:39 AM
    Thanks for all the posts, including the anti ones. I won't be able to shuffle through them all until Monday or Tuesday at the earliest I'm busy with a far more important thing until then; my family.

Just so everyone knows I can't do a clean install as I can't reset or wipe my device unless there's a way to do it without Link. If it were that easy I would have done it already.
    You don't need link to SIC Multiwipe! You just run the program and it wipes it all for you :P

Then the autoloader runs for you too, doesn't need Link to even be installed!

Doing both is what I'd recommend, removes any trace of the old bugged system and then loads the latest OS properly and brand new onto your phone

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 10:52 AM
    I know some people are going to attack this post but quite frankly I don't care, I'm at my whit's end with my Passport, a device I thought held such great promise for BlackBerry but the issues that I've been having recently calls into question my trust for this device to get me through the work day reliably. I know some of you are going to suggest I'm a troll without any substantive evidence to support that claim, again, I don't care. If that's what gets you through the day then I guess that's what you've got to do.

I've had 3 independent issues with my Passport, perhaps on their own they're quite minor, but taken as a whole it doesn't bode well for me.

The first issue was with battery life, I wasn't getting anywhere near the claimed time despite using my Passport lightly in the first couple of weeks. Although the battery life has improved I'm still having to charge it up every night after a day's worth of light use. When I say light, I mean light. It's a quiet time in my business right now, one that should pass in the next few weeks. In the last few weeks I'm answering an average of 5 emails a day and making and receiving 2-3 calls a day. I never keep active frames open and check Twitter once or twice a day. Even with that minimum amount of usage I'm down to about 20-25% at the end of the day and no amount of adjusting settings or switching things off seems to help. I'd hate to think what battery life is going to be like when things get busy again.

The second issue is, to me, far more troubling. Ever since the phone was new I've had issues with opening the Hub. Not every time mind you, I'm guessing the issue arose once every 5 or 6 opens. I would slide to open the hub and the list went haywire! It would charge up and down the Hub randomly and spastically. It would normally settle down after about 20 seconds or so, but sometimes it would do this for over a minute. It doesn't do it anymore. The last time it did that I was watching it as usual, waiting for it to settle, when ALL emails and texts suddenly disappeared, were completely deleted. This happened right in front of my eyes, I couldn't believe it when it happened, I sat there staring waiting for them to come back. BBMs survived but emails and texts were completely erased. Fortunately most, not all, were still on the server, but this didn't exactly instil confidence in the Passport.

The third issue is far more recent and to many may not be a big deal at all, but to me it's as important. I cannot connect to Link or Blend. Blend's not so important but I need to run regular backup with Link when things get busy and I can't even do that. Once this issue started I checked that my computer was reading my drives; it was. I contacted @blackberryhelp yesterday and they got me to check the settings and do a whole bunch of other things I had already tried to no avail. Last night they said they could no longer help me and I should contact my carrier for further assistance and they could raise the level with BlackBerry Tech Support, trouble is, I bought my Passport from Shop BlackBerry as my carrier no longer carries any BB devices. My carrier refused to help and said go back to BlackBerry. Great. To top it off I can't delete Link or Blend to attempt a reinstall through either Control Panel, Program Files or even the Start Menu, no of them will allow me to. So I'm stuck.

This is by far not the experience I was expecting from my Passport. I've treated this thing with kid gloves and still I can't rely on it. I would go back to my Z30 but my wife's now using it and I gave my Z10 to my mother to try and drag her kicking and screaming into the 21st Century. So I'm back to my ratty old 9900 and I'm not happy about it one little bit but at least it's reliable.

The Passport? It's now sitting on the dining room table with its original shipping packaging waiting for me to find out how to get this thing back to Digital River. I'm sure it'll cost me an arm and a leg in shipping but quite frankly if I can't rely on it then it's worth it. Problem is, what am I going to replace it with? It's not going to be another Passport, perhaps not even another BlackBerry. I never thought I'd see myself typing those words.
    So the email and SMS deleting bug is still not fixed? My Q10 deleted 3 months worth of sent and received emails and all my SMS before last Christmas.
    11-02-14 11:03 AM
    I won't do a security wipe without being able to do a up to date back up, I'd have nothing to reload from.
    In order, the things I'll do (playing blind here, you may have done several already) :

0. Questions (to try to diagnose):
    - did you restore / transfer data from your previous BB ? (if yes, was there any Android apps or special apps ?)
    - do you use the genuine BlackBerry USB cable ? When connecting to Computer, what's happening ?

1. In device settings/storage and access, ensure the USB connexion mode is set to Windows or Mac but not "automatic" and "USB Mass storage is off".

2. Ensure you have the latest link version. In the doubt, uninstall it and perform a fresh install (I for one would do that anyways):
    BlackBerry Link - BlackBerry 10 Smartphone to Computer Sync - US
    Passport have specific/updated drivers (AFAIK) especially if you're on a 64bits machine.

3. If backup is your concern prior to be able to wipe the device, you may consider alternatives, like Sachesi :
    About : https://github.com/xsacha/Sachesi#sachesi
    Download : https://github.com/xsacha/Sachesi/releases.
    The best thing: it can also perform wipe, OS reinstall etc. Check it out.

What you describes is nowhere close to normal.
    ex: In "light usage" I'm running for 2 days easilly.

Once you've been able to backup (either with Sachesi or Link) and connect to link, I'll go for a OS reload (with Sachesi or Link): wipe is not an OS reload but a clean factory [parameters] default state reset and personal files/apps deletion).

Hope it helps,
    let us know.
    Katika99 likes this.
    11-02-14 11:56 AM
    Lol don't be so hard on yourself or the phone my friend has the new note 4, and it keeps rebooting on him so it happens to everyone

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 12:01 PM
    None communicate with link is a pooched OS. No way around it, have to reload.
    11-02-14 12:11 PM
    !

BlackBerry Passport
    11-02-14 12:34 PM
    Well aren't you just a bundle of joy!

Thanks
    Cry me a river OP. Get rid of the phone or fix it; self pity or whining never helped anyone the last time I checked. If you are not prepared to listen to constructive advices from people on this thread, then tell me exactly what you are expecting from your post.
    Mr Bigs likes this.
    11-02-14 01:13 PM
    I have an iPhone 6 plus, want to make a trade.

Posted via CB10
    Hey, how come you did not send me a PM about the trade for the iPhone 6 Plus? I thought you wanted to trade it for a Passport?
    11-02-14 04:09 PM
    Jonesy, I read your post and I'm sorry for all your trouble.
    With that said, If you cannot uninstall ANY program on your computer then something is terribly amiss.
    If you are having issues with a computer and then plug in a smartphone, in my experience, you could cause issues with a phone.
    Fix the computer FIRST.
    Security wipe the phone.
    Setup the phone again.
    Let phone index and settle for a couple days.
    PM me if you need personal one-to-one help. I am retired and have extra time to help you.

Crackberry Genius on Verizon 10.3.1.1016
    11-02-14 04:24 PM
    You don't need link to SIC Multiwipe! You just run the program and it wipes it all for you :P

Then the autoloader runs for you too, doesn't need Link to even be installed!

Doing both is what I'd recommend, removes any trace of the old bugged system and then loads the latest OS properly and brand new onto your phone

Posted via CB10
    He already said he needs to backup his phone with Link first and that is his problem - apparently Link will not backup his phone which is not surprising as I had that happen to me too. My fix was to use a different computer.
    11-02-14 04:36 PM
    OP,

When I have trouble making Link connect to a device. I make sure that I have it connected using a USB and have the wireless box unchecked. You might want to uncheck it first and reconnect.

Almost Done with my Passport-link_wireless.png
    11-02-14 04:45 PM
    @jonesy1996 I think you are really not looking at the real problem and relying on your very own past experiences. You opened a z10 which your probably really liked for a while (more so if you got leaks) and then wanted an upgrade maybe? Got the z30 I'm sure you really still love that ( I went from z10 of 1 year to z30 Sept 8/14) and the experience of BlackBerry 10 os. The specs in this phone do not lie, I have reviews from a few friends and relatives with little to no issues mainly due to software or confusion to them on the os. You should remember your experience with BlackBerry 10 and know it will be just the same but better with your perfect hardware Passport. Just my thoughts

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 05:19 PM
    He already said he needs to backup his phone with Link first and that is his problem - apparently Link will not backup his phone which is not surprising as I had that happen to me too. My fix was to use a different computer.
    Thanks for all the posts, including the anti ones. I won't be able to shuffle through them all until Monday or Tuesday at the earliest I'm busy with a far more important thing until then; my family.

Just so everyone knows I can't do a clean install as I can't reset or wipe my device unless there's a way to do it without Link. If it were that easy I would have done it already.
    He doesn't care at this point, he's even trying to just reset it according to what he said, and he didn't know it was possible without Link. That's why I'm reiterating that he should use SIC Multiwipe and then a .908 autoloader to fix his issues :P

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 06:17 PM
    On the third issue, I can side with you on this. While I am able to get blend working on my PC, I cannot for the life of me the link to recognise the device. Not that I want to backup at work, but I link is unable to connect to device while the device shows in link.
    11-02-14 07:08 PM
    Sorry, I won't do a sideload without being able to do a backup first. As Link doesn't want to play nicely with my Passport, I can't run back ups.
    Did you try a different USB port on your PC? I have very different results whether or not the port on my Z10 is connected via the USB 3.0 port or not, powered vs. non powered, etc.. Too bad you have not had a good experience with it.
    11-02-14 08:52 PM
    This is a new device. Why do people find it so difficult to just return and get a new handset. I had a problem with my new BB and simply returned and got a another one which has worked wonderfully since. Every single manufacturer has problems with a couple of devices. Get a replacement and if you continue to have the same problems then I would suggest you go back to the make you used before you switched to BB. Obviously you are not a BB fan, most probably a troll. Why would whinge this much over three minor issues when all you have to do is return the faulty handset?
    11-03-14 02:21 AM
    Had the same problem with linking the device to the PC. Turns out the problem was my PC and not the BB. Our IT department did a whole reinstall on my PC and it worked.
    11-03-14 02:23 AM
    This is a new device. Why do people find it so difficult to just return and get a new handset. I had a problem with my new BB and simply returned and got a another one which has worked wonderfully since. Every single manufacturer has problems with a couple of devices. Get a replacement and if you continue to have the same problems then I would suggest you go back to the make you used before you switched to BB. Obviously you are not a BB fan, most probably a troll. Why would whinge this much over three minor issues when all you have to do is return the faulty handset?
    Because you can't exactly walk to a shop, give them your broken one and leave with a brand new one. It will leave you without a phone for weeks.
    11-03-14 02:29 AM
138 ... 3456