Wipe os. Reload,
    11-01-14 10:08 AM
    I don't understand why you are worried about not backing up but will be sending the device back anyway.. won't u lose your data either way?

Posted via CB10
    grevan88 and playboldbook like this.
    11-01-14 10:08 AM
    Sorry, I won't do a sideload without being able to do a backup first. As Link doesn't want to play nicely with my Passport, I can't run back ups.
    What exactly do you have on your device that is not synced to your email account? Remember note, PW Keeper data? There is nothing that cannot be retrieved providing you have access to the App World.

Just curious, do you have other BB10 devices that ARE detected by Link? What have you attempted to try and resolve this issue?

No I am not saying that it is user related, but a computer is a machine designed to do as instructed. Loads drivers, loads apps, ect. You know all this so I am not going to say more on that.

Here is the KB article for KB27424-Identifying and troubleshooting issues with the BlackBerry Desktop Software or BlackBerry Link detecting a BlackBerry PlayBook or BlackBerry 10 smartphone connected via USB
    11-01-14 10:09 AM
    Yes, it's most probably a defective device but I will need to rely very heavily on my device in a few weeks time, I'm no longer convinced that the Passport will be reliable enough.
    Sucks you're having a bad experience with your Passport. Definitely sounds like a defective unit. Definitely return and get a refund. For the price of buying a premium phone outright these days no sense in feeling frustrated or annoyed with it.

My Passport has had stellar battery life even with heavy usage. The hub and Blend work fine. I had the camera app freeze up on me once but other than that my Passport has been solid and dependable.

Hopefully you will give BlackBerry another chance.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 10:11 AM
    What is on your phone you cant replace? Just reinstall the OS. This is a common fix on any platform for many issues.
    11-01-14 10:12 AM
    I know some people are going to attack this post but quite frankly I don't care, I'm at my whit's end with my Passport, a device I thought held such great promise for BlackBerry but the issues that I've been having recently calls into question my trust for this device to get me through the work day reliably. I know some of you are going to suggest I'm a troll without any substantive evidence to support that claim, again, I don't care. If that's what gets you through the day then I guess that's what you've got to do.

I've had 3 independent issues with my Passport, perhaps on their own they're quite minor, but taken as a whole it doesn't bode well for me.

The first issue was with battery life, I wasn't getting anywhere near the claimed time despite using my Passport lightly in the first couple of weeks. Although the battery life has improved I'm still having to charge it up every night after a day's worth of light use. When I say light, I mean light. It's a quiet time in my business right now, one that should pass in the next few weeks. In the last few weeks I'm answering an average of 5 emails a day and making and receiving 2-3 calls a day. I never keep active frames open and check Twitter once or twice a day. Even with that minimum amount of usage I'm down to about 20-25% at the end of the day and no amount of adjusting settings or switching things off seems to help. I'd hate to think what battery life is going to be like when things get busy again.

The second issue is, to me, far more troubling. Ever since the phone was new I've had issues with opening the Hub. Not every time mind you, I'm guessing the issue arose once every 5 or 6 opens. I would slide to open the hub and the list went haywire! It would charge up and down the Hub randomly and spastically. It would normally settle down after about 20 seconds or so, but sometimes it would do this for over a minute. It doesn't do it anymore. The last time it did that I was watching it as usual, waiting for it to settle, when ALL emails and texts suddenly disappeared, were completely deleted. This happened right in front of my eyes, I couldn't believe it when it happened, I sat there staring waiting for them to come back. BBMs survived but emails and texts were completely erased. Fortunately most, not all, were still on the server, but this didn't exactly instil confidence in the Passport.

The third issue is far more recent and to many may not be a big deal at all, but to me it's as important. I cannot connect to Link or Blend. Blend's not so important but I need to run regular backup with Link when things get busy and I can't even do that. Once this issue started I checked that my computer was reading my drives; it was. I contacted @blackberryhelp yesterday and they got me to check the settings and do a whole bunch of other things I had already tried to no avail. Last night they said they could no longer help me and I should contact my carrier for further assistance and they could raise the level with BlackBerry Tech Support, trouble is, I bought my Passport from Shop BlackBerry as my carrier no longer carries any BB devices. My carrier refused to help and said go back to BlackBerry. Great. To top it off I can't delete Link or Blend to attempt a reinstall through either Control Panel, Program Files or even the Start Menu, no of them will allow me to. So I'm stuck.

This is by far not the experience I was expecting from my Passport. I've treated this thing with kid gloves and still I can't rely on it. I would go back to my Z30 but my wife's now using it and I gave my Z10 to my mother to try and drag her kicking and screaming into the 21st Century. So I'm back to my ratty old 9900 and I'm not happy about it one little bit but at least it's reliable.

The Passport? It's now sitting on the dining room table with its original shipping packaging waiting for me to find out how to get this thing back to Digital River. I'm sure it'll cost me an arm and a leg in shipping but quite frankly if I can't rely on it then it's worth it. Problem is, what am I going to replace it with? It's not going to be another Passport, perhaps not even another BlackBerry. I never thought I'd see myself typing those words.
    Yeah sounds like a hardware issues! I use my device 10x more than you and at bed time my battery is at about 55% on average. Link and blend can be tricky to access if default account and settings are not set to sync properly. In your device sync settings make sure you've set the correct pc I'd to sync. Lastly Check the antivirus program on your pc,it may be blocking your ports.

Posted via Passport OS 10.3.0.908/Rogers Wireless
    11-01-14 10:13 AM
    The Link / Blend issue I feel may be more related to your computer than to BlackBerry. I have not had any issues connecting to Link on my work computer, in fact because my work comp and my Passport are both on the same Wi-fi network, they automatically connect when I walk into my office. Now, my home laptop which is probably 5-6 years old if not older, has issues with connecting to any of my BB10 devices. Does that mean I blame the Passport or the computer?

Try connecting to Link / Blend on another computer and see if that helps. Especially because the computer will not allow you delete or uninstall the software, definitely sounds like an issue with the computer.

As for your other two issues, I personally have not experienced either of them. My brother-in-law did have sub-par battery on his Passport when he first got it, but I dropped his brightness from 100% to roughly 50% and that helped a lot. Also, his house has poor reception, so I told him to always connect to wi-fi when he was home. This prevents the phone from constantly looking for a signal and seems to have also helped improve his battery life.

Hope some of this helps.

Posted via CB10
    EsJayDee likes this.
    11-01-14 10:18 AM
    Sorry to hear about your troubles OP.

I didn't have any issues with the passport except a few minor glitches after a software update.

It seems like you definitely received a defective unit. Hopefully you can receive a replacement on time.

Don't loose your faith in BlackBerry quite yet.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 10:18 AM
    Dude, sounds like you just need to reload your OS. Not that hard to figure. Doubt your phone is actually defective. And if it is, get a replacement from BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    grevan88 and chrispmoto like this.
    11-01-14 10:19 AM
    Nonetheless there are quite a few BlackBerry nerds on her to assist you as well!

Posted via Passport OS 10.3.0.908/Rogers Wireless
    11-01-14 10:21 AM
    That is a hardware issue my friend. RMA the thing and get one that actually works and you will see the difference. I know this simply because that very same thing happened to my PlayBook and when it was shipped back to BlackBerry they confirmed it was hardware.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 10:22 AM
    Yes, it's most probably a defective device but I will need to rely very heavily on my device in a few weeks time, I'm no longer convinced that the Passport will be reliable enough.
    You may have a defective device. Many on here have had no problems with the Passport. If your device is defective, then you cannot say all Passports are defective.

In our company we use Androids, iOS and Blackberry devices. We have every type have some defects.
    11-01-14 10:22 AM
    That is a hardware issue my friend. RMA the thing and get one that actually works and you will see the difference. I know this simply because that very same thing happened to my PlayBook and when it was shipped back to BlackBerry they confirmed it was hardware.

Posted via CB10
    This is much easier said than done. You'll notice he already contacted BlackBerry and instead of dealing with his issue he was told "nothing we can do, go somewhere else".

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 10:26 AM
    To top it off I can't delete Link or Blend to attempt a reinstall through either Control Panel, Program Files or even the Start Menu, no of them will allow me to. So I'm stuck.
    Reboot your computer and try to uninstall the software. Check to see that they are not running as a process. If they are kill them and try uninstalling. If they still can't uninstall, something is wrong with your computer. Simple as that.

Also. What version of Windows are you using?
    Last edited by Bluenoser63; 11-01-14 at 10:40 AM.
    11-01-14 10:29 AM
    This is much easier said than done. You'll notice he already contacted BlackBerry and instead of dealing with his issue he was told "nothing we can do, go somewhere else".
    Posted via CB10
    I have dealt with Blackberry and can say that I have never been told that.
    northernrds likes this.
    11-01-14 10:31 AM
    About the third problem, try this:

1. Disconnect your passport from your PC
    2. Go to task manager by hitting alt+ctrl+del, then close all the processes has BlackBerry or rim in its name
    3. Reconnect your Passport
    4. Start BlackBerry Link again

This assumes you use PC. This procedure works for me when I have trouble connecting my BlackBerry 10 devices to PC. Give it a try and let me know how it pans out.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    11-01-14 10:32 AM
    I feel like I need to add my disclaimer as I have been doing to a lot of negative Passport threads.

I have been using this device for a month now and average 36 hours battery life, getting battery up to 48 hours regularly.

I have no issue with my Hub whatsoever. With message triage, I think it is the best iteration of the Hub to date.

I use Blend daily and Link weekly and have had not a single issue.

My phone is solid and I wouldnt want anything else but a Passport 2!
    11-01-14 10:33 AM
    The Link / Blend issue I feel may be more related to your computer than to BlackBerry. I have not had any issues connecting to Link on my work computer, in fact because my work comp and my Passport are both on the same Wi-fi network, they automatically connect when I walk into my office. Now, my home laptop which is probably 5-6 years old if not older, has issues with connecting to any of my BB10 devices. Does that mean I blame the Passport or the computer?

Try connecting to Link / Blend on another computer and see if that helps. Especially because the computer will not allow you delete or uninstall the software, definitely sounds like an issue with the computer.

As for your other two issues, I personally have not experienced either of them. My brother-in-law did have sub-par battery on his Passport when he first got it, but I dropped his brightness from 100% to roughly 50% and that helped a lot. Also, his house has poor reception, so I told him to always connect to wi-fi when he was home. This prevents the phone from constantly looking for a signal and seems to have also helped improve his battery life.

Hope some of this helps.

Posted via CB10
    Yes computer related as my wife pc is garbage and so we then used my mac and it works perfectly. Also we are experiencing none of the OP issues. The passport is by far the most well built phone on the market. I was so impressed with my wife's passport that I returned my iphone6 and got the best smartphone on the market (passport).

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 10:35 AM
    Just make a security wipe and give it one more try, if you still have the same issues send it back.

Regarding the Link software on your PC, which error message do you get when you try to uninstall?

Have you tried to perform a backup by using another PC?

Posted via CB10
    flyingsolid likes this.
    11-01-14 10:38 AM
    Must be your unit. I do 4000 minutes a month talk time and anywhere up to 40 emails a day in/out and I use blend.

I'm getting usually 2, sometimes 2 1/2 days on my battery. Blend works seamlessly. Hub works brilliantly.

As a passionate fan of Blackberry with years of their phones trouble free, I hate to hear anyone having problems with their products and I would hope they sort this out for you quickly and you get the performance you expect, because you deserve it for supporting them, and they need to protect their reputation.

Don't presume to think Apple and Android brands haven't shipped their share of lemons or had global software glitches. Happens to everyone.

Wishing you all the best on getting a replacement fast.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 10:39 AM
    Dude, sounds like you just need to reload your OS. Not that hard to figure. Doubt your phone is actually defective. And if it is, get a replacement from BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    This is a hell of a lot more relevant than the countless threads about iPhones bending.
    11-01-14 10:44 AM
    I know some people are going to attack this post but quite frankly I don't care, I'm at my whit's end with my Passport, a device I thought held such great promise for BlackBerry but the issues that I've been having recently calls into question my trust for this device to get me through the work day reliably. I know some of you are going to suggest I'm a troll without any substantive evidence to support that claim, again, I don't care. If that's what gets you through the day then I guess that's what you've got to do.

I've had 3 independent issues with my Passport, perhaps on their own they're quite minor, but taken as a whole it doesn't bode well for me.

The first issue was with battery life, I wasn't getting anywhere near the claimed time despite using my Passport lightly in the first couple of weeks. Although the battery life has improved I'm still having to charge it up every night after a day's worth of light use. When I say light, I mean light. It's a quiet time in my business right now, one that should pass in the next few weeks. In the last few weeks I'm answering an average of 5 emails a day and making and receiving 2-3 calls a day. I never keep active frames open and check Twitter once or twice a day. Even with that minimum amount of usage I'm down to about 20-25% at the end of the day and no amount of adjusting settings or switching things off seems to help. I'd hate to think what battery life is going to be like when things get busy again.

The second issue is, to me, far more troubling. Ever since the phone was new I've had issues with opening the Hub. Not every time mind you, I'm guessing the issue arose once every 5 or 6 opens. I would slide to open the hub and the list went haywire! It would charge up and down the Hub randomly and spastically. It would normally settle down after about 20 seconds or so, but sometimes it would do this for over a minute. It doesn't do it anymore. The last time it did that I was watching it as usual, waiting for it to settle, when ALL emails and texts suddenly disappeared, were completely deleted. This happened right in front of my eyes, I couldn't believe it when it happened, I sat there staring waiting for them to come back. BBMs survived but emails and texts were completely erased. Fortunately most, not all, were still on the server, but this didn't exactly instil confidence in the Passport.

The third issue is far more recent and to many may not be a big deal at all, but to me it's as important. I cannot connect to Link or Blend. Blend's not so important but I need to run regular backup with Link when things get busy and I can't even do that. Once this issue started I checked that my computer was reading my drives; it was. I contacted @blackberryhelp yesterday and they got me to check the settings and do a whole bunch of other things I had already tried to no avail. Last night they said they could no longer help me and I should contact my carrier for further assistance and they could raise the level with BlackBerry Tech Support, trouble is, I bought my Passport from Shop BlackBerry as my carrier no longer carries any BB devices. My carrier refused to help and said go back to BlackBerry. Great. To top it off I can't delete Link or Blend to attempt a reinstall through either Control Panel, Program Files or even the Start Menu, no of them will allow me to. So I'm stuck.

This is by far not the experience I was expecting from my Passport. I've treated this thing with kid gloves and still I can't rely on it. I would go back to my Z30 but my wife's now using it and I gave my Z10 to my mother to try and drag her kicking and screaming into the 21st Century. So I'm back to my ratty old 9900 and I'm not happy about it one little bit but at least it's reliable.

The Passport? It's now sitting on the dining room table with its original shipping packaging waiting for me to find out how to get this thing back to Digital River. I'm sure it'll cost me an arm and a leg in shipping but quite frankly if I can't rely on it then it's worth it. Problem is, what am I going to replace it with? It's not going to be another Passport, perhaps not even another BlackBerry. I never thought I'd see myself typing those words.
    First problem: If you're in a place where you have low reception, the phones has to work harder to sustain connectivity, wich has A LOT of impact on the battery life. The same happens with Wi-fi. If you're in a place where you have 1 bar of wi-fi, you will run throught battery very quickly. This should happen with every phone. If previous phones handled well in the same place, then you have a DEFECTIVE unit, just send it to warranty. If you arrive at the end of the day with 20% battery in the passport, you will arrive with 0% in flagship phones from other brands.

Second problem: Firmware/hardware problem that's causing that, and this second problem could be leading to the first problem with the battery life. You could try to fix this yourself with a new OS autoloader that we have here in the forum, or again, send it to warranty.

Third problem: You simply should be able to connect to both Blend and Wi-fi, so your device has either a hardware or software issue

Your problem is not a PASSPORT problem, is your particular device problem, althought you make it sound like all passports have the same problem, wich is BS... Don't be misleading with your bad experience
    wincyUt likes this.
    11-01-14 10:46 AM
    Certain apps drain the battery . The device monitor under settings will tell you which ones are doing it.

BlackBerry should have replaced your unit right away. I see a problem here that during the downsizing BlackBerry let go a lot of customer support people.

My experience with BlackBerry is that they force the carriers to provide customer support. I suspect that is why few in the US are willing to sell them.

I recall reading that BlackBerry was now adding to their support group.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 10:47 AM
    Jonesy, it sounds like the law of large numbers has worked against you. Every platform, every device made by every manufacturer, puts out a hopefully very small number of lemons. If you have ever watched a breakdown video, you will see how packed and complex these devices are. It's bound to happen to someone. Cold comfort unless you return and get a replacement unit.

What you have described is not a representative Passport experience. I don't imagine the faulty device has yet been made that would provide a gratifying experience. It's not "fair" to BlackBerry or to the Passport to judge it on the basis of a broken device, and it's not fair to you to get a new device that is defective.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 10:49 AM
    Sorry for your troubles. Since you insist on performing a backup before you wipe, try one of the backup apps in App World which don't require a computer and will save to SD card and shouldn't store any system components that might be affecting your device. I've read good things about Backup Pro and Email Archiver.

From there, you can re-install the OS. I have only tried the destructive autoloader method so I don't know whether the non destructive method actually precludes the need to back up personal data.

You are right to be concerned and it is unfortunate that you felt wary of backlash. We all love BlackBerry and want to make our experiences better. We achieve this by discussing problems and finding solutions; sharing experiences both good and bad.

I'm sure you were aware that the issues you are experiencing are not the norm for the excellent Passport so I can only lament that you let these fester to the point of giving up on a great product.

Cheer up, buddy. I wish you the best in resolving this.

Try out the leaks forum below for guides.

http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-leaked-beta-os-f395/

Posted via CB10
    EsJayDee likes this.
    11-01-14 10:50 AM
138 1234 ...