I know some people are going to attack this post but quite frankly I don't care, I'm at my whit's end with my Passport, a device I thought held such great promise for BlackBerry but the issues that I've been having recently calls into question my trust for this device to get me through the work day reliably. I know some of you are going to suggest I'm a troll without any substantive evidence to support that claim, again, I don't care. If that's what gets you through the day then I guess that's what you've got to do.

I've had 3 independent issues with my Passport, perhaps on their own they're quite minor, but taken as a whole it doesn't bode well for me.

The first issue was with battery life, I wasn't getting anywhere near the claimed time despite using my Passport lightly in the first couple of weeks. Although the battery life has improved I'm still having to charge it up every night after a day's worth of light use. When I say light, I mean light. It's a quiet time in my business right now, one that should pass in the next few weeks. In the last few weeks I'm answering an average of 5 emails a day and making and receiving 2-3 calls a day. I never keep active frames open and check Twitter once or twice a day. Even with that minimum amount of usage I'm down to about 20-25% at the end of the day and no amount of adjusting settings or switching things off seems to help. I'd hate to think what battery life is going to be like when things get busy again.

The second issue is, to me, far more troubling. Ever since the phone was new I've had issues with opening the Hub. Not every time mind you, I'm guessing the issue arose once every 5 or 6 opens. I would slide to open the hub and the list went haywire! It would charge up and down the Hub randomly and spastically. It would normally settle down after about 20 seconds or so, but sometimes it would do this for over a minute. It doesn't do it anymore. The last time it did that I was watching it as usual, waiting for it to settle, when ALL emails and texts suddenly disappeared, were completely deleted. This happened right in front of my eyes, I couldn't believe it when it happened, I sat there staring waiting for them to come back. BBMs survived but emails and texts were completely erased. Fortunately most, not all, were still on the server, but this didn't exactly instil confidence in the Passport.

The third issue is far more recent and to many may not be a big deal at all, but to me it's as important. I cannot connect to Link or Blend. Blend's not so important but I need to run regular backup with Link when things get busy and I can't even do that. Once this issue started I checked that my computer was reading my drives; it was. I contacted @blackberryhelp yesterday and they got me to check the settings and do a whole bunch of other things I had already tried to no avail. Last night they said they could no longer help me and I should contact my carrier for further assistance and they could raise the level with BlackBerry Tech Support, trouble is, I bought my Passport from Shop BlackBerry as my carrier no longer carries any BB devices. My carrier refused to help and said go back to BlackBerry. Great. To top it off I can't delete Link or Blend to attempt a reinstall through either Control Panel, Program Files or even the Start Menu, no of them will allow me to. So I'm stuck.

This is by far not the experience I was expecting from my Passport. I've treated this thing with kid gloves and still I can't rely on it. I would go back to my Z30 but my wife's now using it and I gave my Z10 to my mother to try and drag her kicking and screaming into the 21st Century. So I'm back to my ratty old 9900 and I'm not happy about it one little bit but at least it's reliable.

The Passport? It's now sitting on the dining room table with its original shipping packaging waiting for me to find out how to get this thing back to Digital River. I'm sure it'll cost me an arm and a leg in shipping but quite frankly if I can't rely on it then it's worth it. Problem is, what am I going to replace it with? It's not going to be another Passport, perhaps not even another BlackBerry. I never thought I'd see myself typing those words.
    11-01-14 09:36 AM
    Where do you live? If you are local to I will purchase your defective passport at a steep discount. PM if you are interested.

Posted via CB10
    Jakob Greve, Aahleksh and Mr Bigs like this.
    11-01-14 09:38 AM
    get that device replaced. it's probably a hardware issue.
    11-01-14 09:42 AM
    Perhaps you have a defective device? I haven't had a single problem with my Passport. With heavy-heavy use, I still have 30-50% left by the end of the day.

If you don't want to get another one, I'm sure you can sell it pretty quickly on CrackBerry or other sites....
    GRojasHruska and Jonesy1966 like this.
    11-01-14 09:45 AM
    Where do you live? If you are local to I will purchase your defective passport at a steep discount. PM if you are interested.

Posted via CB10
    Not for sale. It's still worth my while shipping it back to DR. I'll probably lose about $50 over all and I'm sure you won't pay me $750.
    sentimentGX4, Aahleksh and boi2012 like this.
    11-01-14 09:46 AM
    You may want to try updating your device to see if that helps
    Jonesy1966 and GRojasHruska like this.
    11-01-14 09:47 AM
    Yes, it's most probably a defective device but I will need to rely very heavily on my device in a few weeks time, I'm no longer convinced that the Passport will be reliable enough.
    11-01-14 09:47 AM
    Me thinks send it back as it's not doing what it's supposed to. It's painful when something you want to do well with the hype as well does not.its a hassle but get it swapped for a new one as per warranty mate. Good luck

Posted via CB10
    Jonesy1966 likes this.
    11-01-14 09:49 AM
    It sounds like a software issue-- 100%. Do a security wipe, or better, a fresh install. I'm almost willing to guarantee all those issues will be immediately solved. Whatever you do, good luck!

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 09:49 AM
    You may want to try updating your device to see if that helps
    My device is as officially up to date as it possibly can be without sideloading a leak, and I'm not just about to do that without being able to run a back up.
    11-01-14 09:50 AM
    It sounds like a software issue-- 100%. Do a security wipe, or better, a fresh install. I'm almost willing to guarantee all those issues will be immediately solved. Whatever you do, good luck!

Posted via CB10
    I won't do a security wipe without being able to do a up to date back up, I'd have nothing to reload from.
    11-01-14 09:52 AM
    send it back to Shop BB and replace it with the Z30 which is on sale for $299 this weekend.
    11-01-14 09:52 AM
    I have 4 of them in my family. None of the problems you mention are issues with our Passports.

In fact, the batteries have been better than advertised, and consistent hook up to link and Blend. Also zero software glitches.

I would also check for updates or run the 10.3.1 autoloader. I guess you might be unlucky and have a defective device.

Posted via CB10
    Jonesy1966 and TylerXIII like this.
    11-01-14 09:53 AM
    Me thinks send it back as it's not doing what it's supposed to. It's painful when something you want to do well with the hype as well does not.its a hassle but get it swapped for a new one as per warranty mate. Good luck

Posted via CB10
    I'm not swapping it, I don't trust the device anymore. Besides they only replace faulty units with reconditioned ones. I'm not paying that much money for a used device. Anyhow, I'll see how I feel after a couple of weeks on my 9900.
    11-01-14 09:53 AM
    I can sympathize with your situation. I too received about equivalent service from BlackBerry when my screen came undone from the frame of the phone. To add insult to injury, not only were they not interested at helping me at all, they simply closed my ticket a few days later, issue unresolved. I ended up fixing my own phone, myself.

It's non-sensical to believe that BlackBerry as an organization has undergone some radical shift towards better service for its customers or better quality of their products. They are the same old BlackBerry, still struggling to provide any after sales care. It's true that some people have better luck with them than others. As with any organization, there are some individuals sitting on the other side of the line that have some sense and want to help. Generally speaking, BlackBerry as an organization hugely fails to provide adequate after sales support.

I am experiencing the exact issue you identified with Blend now where no matter what I do, I can no longer connect to it. Luckily, Link still works.

As for the other issues, it does sound like there is some sort of hardware problem happening. I can tell you to get the device replaced, but I suspect from your post that you have already tried this route and didn't get a favorable response from BlackBerry. All I can say is try again. This doesn't sound like an issue that can be remedied through a physical repair, like I did with my separating screen.

Perhaps if they advance you a device, you may be able to use device switch app to transfer all of your content to a new phone.

Good luck to you!

Posted via CB10
    Jonesy1966 likes this.
    11-01-14 09:54 AM
    Yes, it's most probably a defective device but I will need to rely very heavily on my device in a few weeks time, I'm no longer convinced that the Passport will be reliable enough.
    It's not that THE Passport is not reliable enough. It's the Passport that you currently own that is not reliable. Either get it replaced or do a full reset and see if that gets it back up to par. From your OP, none of that is normal. Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 09:55 AM
    Also, if you have not done so, run a hardware diagnostic using the BBVE--run all tests.
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    Sorry, I won't do a sideload without being able to do a backup first. As Link doesn't want to play nicely with my Passport, I can't run back ups.
    I'm not swapping it, I don't trust the device anymore. Besides they only replace faulty units with reconditioned ones. I'm not paying that much money for a used device. Anyhow, I'll see how I feel after a couple of weeks on my 9900.
    Your mind obviously seems made up. Your Passport has left a bad taste in your mouth. Just send it back and get another Z30 and have leftover cash.

Posted via CB10
    scootnyinzer likes this.
    11-01-14 09:59 AM
    I will assume you have downloaded Android apps. But I will not touch this issue, because people should pay close attention to what Snowden said! My advice to you is to do a complete wipe of the phone and do not install ???? on your phone. I would also advice you to change all your password. Only one other reason can explain your battery issue. Default battery. Sometimes if you keep completely draining the battery by turning on and off the device this will reset the storage on the battery. One more thing get McAfee software for your computer.
    11-01-14 10:01 AM
    I hear you. I have a Z30 and like the passport a lot but it's too new. I made that mistake when I got the z10. I bought the Z30 outright and won't replace this one, it is great.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 10:03 AM
    You're not going to be any further behind if you wipe the phone without a backup than if you send it back. Either way you're still going to lose everything on it. If the wipe and reload fixes it, great, if not, send it back. Like I said, you're no further behind.
    11-01-14 10:04 AM
    I will assume you have downloaded Android apps. But I will not touch this issue, because people should pay close attention to what Snowden said! My advice to you is to do a complete wipe of the phone and do not install ???? on your phone. I would also advice you to change all your password. Only one other reason can explain your battery issue. Default battery. Sometimes if you keep completely draining the battery by turning on and off the device this will reset the storage on the battery. One more thing get McAfee software for your computer.
    What is a "default battery" and what does Snowden, Android apps, and McAfee have to do with this?

Posted via CB10
    keefrto and h20work like this.
    11-01-14 10:04 AM
    Oh, one more thing, there are two alternatives you can try for backup.

Download the latest Sachesi. If your device is detected by the computer then you may be able to do a backup using Sachesi. I'm not in front of the computer right now (clearly), but you may need to press the "H" button in Sachesi to see more detailed advanced backup options. I haven't personally tried Sachesi backup, but I know it's there.

Another option is an app called Fire Chest backup available in BlackBerry World.

Let me know how it goes.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 10:07 AM
    From TeamBbryUsa

I, too, experienced more rapid battery drain after updating to 10.3.0.1418. I did a security wipe, fresh install, and only restored settings/media from my backup, but not application data. I reinstalled all my apps manually.

I'm finding that LinkedIn was actually the application draining my battery the most (under device monitor, it was affecting system and PIM battery consumption, not the app's battery consumption itself). I rarely use LinkedIn, but I had added my account anyways.

36 hours after setting up the phone completely (which I think is enough time for the OS to "settle"), my passport would show 15 hours of remaining battery life right after I'd take it off my charger in the morning. I removed LinkedIn, and within 15 minutes, the new expected battery life was almost doubled - 1 day and 5 hours. Now I realize those are only expected values, I didn't actually go through a full day of use yet, but I think those numbers are still telling. I'm going to keep my LinkedIn account off my passport until 10.3.1.
    11-01-14 10:08 AM
138 123 ...