That's awesome sryder congrats but no offense but you've never worked in the health-care industry so technically you are under-qualified to speak on this subject.

Posted via CB10
    Just because someone is under-qualified doesn't mean they can't have a valuable opinion on the subject.

A medical student's opinion on this subject is far more valuable than that of most posters here. I don't see everyone else getting called out and showing their medical field credentials.

If the post is backed up by logical reasoning. Let's just discuss that rather than discrediting members due to their background.

Posted via CB10
    00stryder and itsachickthing like this.
    04-17-14 09:07 AM
    Bro do you even html?

Posted via CB10
    Not from within the broken and unreliable CB10 app, it appears

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 09:11 AM
    It's irrelevant what type of physician it was, I'll just state from my experience in the hospital that the app that doctor was using on his iPhone was likely something like Epocrates; he likely knew which medication he wanted to provide (Epocrates doesn't tell you how to treat anything, just details about meds that you may use) and was looking up specific dosing standards for the other poster's body weight. I can't know for sure, but the point I'm making is that the apps available in the App Store are hugely beneficial for providing quick reference to health care providers. In fact, the most number of trusted medical apps are built for iOS, and many health care systems are signing onto having unique apps built for their hospitals and clinics.

The reason I'm saying all of this is that the device's screen won't be enough to win the industry over. As much as we hate it, Apple has convinced nearly all smartphone users that you need an app to do things. I think Chen and Co. will likely utilize a two-prong approach where there is specific software built to provide a better experience to physicians to compliment the optimal screen size/resolution for viewing medical imaging.

Whether they succeed is the real question as it's going to be nothing but an uphill battle.

Posted via CB10
    Epocrates has been around for a long time, it was available back in BBOS 4 as well. The app is just about drugs, drug interaction, etc. This device, if used for medical imaging, needs to be very very specific.
    04-17-14 09:13 AM
    I work in Healthcare and in Radiology for that matter. My Hospital has already deployed ipads to the critical care team and rapid response code stroke team for over 2 years now.
    I'm sure other hospitals in North Carolina has this implemented already. Question is how good and user friend will this device be to convince these iSheeps to drop the ipad for a Q30. The ipad has a huge screen compared to Q30 for view radiographs, MRI and CT scans on the go.
    Oh our transport team uses ipods for teletracking and transporting patients to various departments. The ipods are trash and the transport staff complains how unresponsive it is at times. I can see the Windermere/Q30 replacing something like that but an ipad already in place? Nah! May be price wise some may be convinced but for conveniency I doubt it. BlackBerry has to work hard at this and I'm rooting for them to succeed.

Posted via CB10
    00stryder likes this.
    04-17-14 09:20 AM
    I work in Healthcare and in Radiology for that matter. My Hospital has already deployed ipads to the critical care team and rapid response code stroke team for over 2 years now.
    I'm sure other hospitals in North Carolina has this implemented already. Question is how good and user friend will this device be to convince these iSheeps to drop the ipad for a Q30. The ipad has a huge screen compared to Q30 for view radiographs, MRI and CT scans on the go.
    Oh our transport team uses ipods for teletracking and transporting patients to various departments. The ipods are trash and the transport staff complains how unresponsive it is at times. I can see the Windermere/Q30 replacing something like that but an ipad already in place? Nah! May be price wise some may be convinced but for conveniency I doubt it. BlackBerry has to work hard at this and I'm rooting for them to succeed.

Posted via CB10
    FDA approves medical-image software for Apple mobile devices - Los Angeles Times

iPad is already entrenched, will be interesting to see.
    04-17-14 09:24 AM
    You should really at least own up to your original intent. Sure, there is nothing wrong with having toys but calling an iPhone or Android device a "toy" isn't as nuanced as you've tried to make it out in this last post, is it?

The real intention in your original post in stating that "hipsters, teenagers and college/university students need to get a job and grow out of their toys" was to somehow insult iPhone and Android devices as being "toys" rather than smartphones or legitimate mobile computing devices. By equating them with "hipsters, teenagers and college/university students" who don't yet have a job and aren't yet grown up, you were really trying to trivialize them in comparison to your beloved Blackberry which you seem to think is somehow different, better and just plain "more" than the so-called "toys".

Furthermore, BB fanboys all over this site have taken to calling iPhones and Android devices "toys" as an insult both to the devices and the users. That's not only tiresome and insulting, it is also wholly inaccurate.

You should at least own up to what you were trying to do in your original post. My point, again, is to simply point out that using you very own statement, you could quite easily conclude that all those millions "prosumers" (I really hate that word, btw) that used to use BB devices 3-4 years ago that have switched to iPhone/Android "grew out of" BB and into what they perceive to be more effective devices.
    I am owning up. It is to my belief that iphones and androids are toys. Didnt I explain why already? I in fact own an iphone and a SGS3.

Anyways its my opinion vs yours lets spare everyone useless ranting shall we? I think we both have said what we wanted to say.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2228, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    04-17-14 09:59 AM
    Won't be the Q30 in the form factor we have seen. It will have a trackpad and toolbelt. I don't think they'll ever make a qwerty phone without the toolbelt again. It was a halfbrained idea to make them without a belt in the first place.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 09:59 AM
    That's awesome sryder congrats but no offense but you've never worked in the health-care industry so technically you are under-qualified to speak on this subject.

Posted via CB10
    Just because someone is under-qualified doesn't mean they can't have a valuable opinion on the subject.

A medical student's opinion on this subject is far more valuable than that of most posters here. I don't see everyone else getting called out and showing their medical field credentials.

If the post is backed up by logical reasoning. Let's just discuss that rather than discrediting members due to their background.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks knownastron, I'm not too offended by Elvis Salvador's response since I didn't really explain that med students (in Canada and the US) spend more than two out of their four years of school training in the hospital. Don't get paid for it, but we're right there on the medical team managing patient needs. Since my credentials are off-topic though, that's all I'm going to say on the matter. I appreciate the assist nonetheless.

Epocrates has been around for a long time, it was available back in BBOS 4 as well. The app is just about drugs, drug interaction, etc. This device, if used for medical imaging, needs to be very very specific.
    You're absolutely correct, and I didn't mean to suggest that the same features couldn't/haven't been available on BlackBerry. I used Epocrates as an example to offer a possible explanation to what the other poster saw his ER doc using his iPhone for, though the app/service that he was really using on his phone could have been much more specific than that. Basically what Kobe Barksdale said about iPads. It's insane how entrenched Apple already is in the health care (and education) industries.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 10:42 AM
    This is exactly why I bought my first BlackBerry. I was in commission sales in 2007 and all the veteran sales guys had BlackBerries on their belts. I wanted to roll with the big boys and owning a BlackBerry was a way to be taken seriously as a professional and businessman.

Jubei's recent post about image and what motivates people was spot on. Blackberry doesn't need the best features or best design, it needs an image attached to it, an image that people want to be associated with.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 02:26 PM
    If it turns out to be a heavy duty mega bold, with some killer spec for industry, this could get interesting. It may be sought after by the geeks and under ground freaks, just because people want what they can't have.

Posted via CB10
    If it turns out to be "heavy duty mega bold, with some killer spec for industry" it will be completely overpriced and a fail in any other market. Let's face it BBRY, these days, is not know for its over spec'd, value driven offerings. In fact it's the complete opposite. I know Chen = change.... I hope.
    04-17-14 02:41 PM
    If it turns out to be "heavy duty mega bold, with some killer spec for industry" it will be completely overpriced and a fail in any other market. Let's face it BBRY, these days, is not know for its over spec'd, value driven offerings. In fact it's the complete opposite. I know Chen = change.... I hope.
    This Windermere phone is only being made for the health-care industry not any other market!

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 06:04 PM
    I
    Which is the toy and which is the tool?
    iPhone is definitely being more of a toy, small screen, terrible keyboard, user pays for things he would get out of the box elsewhere, productivity is out of the question here.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 07:06 PM
    BlackBerry and NantHealth plan to develop a smartphone (aka Windermere) for the healthcare industry that's optimized for viewing 3D images and CT scans.

It's expected to arrive in late 2014 or early 2015.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I agree.... that's what I had suspected. BlackBerry may be producing a work horse device designed specifically for institutional use as in a hospital setting.... if it's done right, BlackBerry might win over hospitals around the world... hopefully become an industry standard (once again). This could be the best news for BlackBerry.

Posted using my Z30
    04-18-14 07:53 AM
    iPhone is definitely being more of a toy, small screen, terrible keyboard, user pays for things he would get out of the box elsewhere, productivity is out of the question here.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I agree, the iPhone is a like a little toy with a tiny screen and lousy keyboard. The Z30 is way better.

Posted using my Z30
    04-18-14 07:54 AM
    Doctors, Fire Fighters, Emergency Units, still use pagers because first responders need a reliable device to receive emergency calls quickly on a dedicated network, I believe BlackBerry is going after this market, they already have the dedicated network...

http://m.siouxcityjournal.com/news/l...3431df1e8.html

Also this http://nanthealth.com/products/deviceconx-isirona/

Z30 on 10.2.1 in Canada
    00stryder likes this.
    04-18-14 07:55 AM
    Doctors, Fire Fighters, Emergency Units, still use pagers because first responders need a reliable device to receive emergency calls quickly on a dedicated network, I believe BlackBerry is going after this market, they already have the dedicated network...

http://m.siouxcityjournal.com/news/l...3431df1e8.html

Also this http://nanthealth.com/products/deviceconx-isirona/

Z30 on 10.2.1 in Canada
    Yes, this is what I had hoped and suspected. BlackBerry could easily become an industry standard world wide in many kinds of institutions. BlackBerry keyboard devices with enlarged touch screens, Enterprise Software, and security could make BlackBerry a dominant player in that market. BlackBerry's were designed specifically for professional settings.

Posted using my Z30
    04-18-14 08:10 AM
    Ugh... the pager is one of the things that really bother me about working in a hospital setting. Reliable, but I'd prefer to just use my phone. Some places have started rolling out systems to where you receive pages on your cell phone though. Obviously reception is the biggest hurdle to get over.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-14 08:33 AM
    Ugh... the pager is one of the things that really bother me about working in a hospital setting. Reliable, but I'd prefer to just use my phone. Some places have started rolling out systems to where you receive pages on your cell phone though. Obviously reception is the biggest hurdle to get over.

Posted via CB10
    I visited my Doctor yesterday, he had a Q10 on his left hip, a pager on his right hip, and a file folder in his hand....it was a bit comical. I can imagine him with just a Q30 and a PB Tablet with digital pen only.

Z30 on 10.2.1 in Canada
    00stryder likes this.
    04-18-14 08:47 AM
    I visited my Doctor yesterday, he had a Q10 on his left hip, a pager on his right hip, and a file folder in his hand....it was a bit comical. I can imagine him with just a Q30 and a PB Tablet with digital pen only.

Z30 on 10.2.1 in Canada
    Yes, one device ideally should handle everything.

Posted using my Z30
    04-18-14 08:49 AM

Z30 on 10.2.1 in Canada
    The file folder *should* be going away with the mandate for all health care systems to switch to electronic medical records (EMR) or face a fine. At least here in the states, I don't know what the situation is in Canada.

Unfortunately, that'll likely lead to an iPad in-hand rather than a PlayBook at this point, but I'm hopeful for the future.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-14 01:23 PM
    I remember when a BlackBerry was a status symbol. Ppl with bb's were driven personalities with very important jobs that required them to be superconnected. You could see these urban professionals carrying a BlackBerry in one hand and a Starbucks cup in the other. They were everywhere, always getting things done.

It was from this scene that the BlackBerry phone gradually migrated to the average consumer market. I know bc this is how I first noticed and then bought my first BlackBerry. I would see all these ppl buzzing around with their "CrackBerry" in hand. I became curious about the phones and decided to take the dive in '07 and have not left since.

I think this same formula can lead to the rebirth of BlackBerry. If major industries like health-care, rediscover the BlackBerry and you have swarms of powerful and influential ppl using BlackBerry, titans of industry, finance, politics, it will cross over to the consumer at large because ppl pay attention to the rich and powerful and follow the trends they set.

Posted via CB10
    You just get it man you just do. My sentiments exactly.

Posted via CB10
    wnyjackson likes this.
    04-23-14 03:07 PM
    Huffington Posts's article http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5154514 made it a bit clear for me on what NantHealth can do and what BlackBerry may build into it.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-14 04:14 PM
    This is nothing to do with medical imaging though... As was stated earlier, medical imaging is an entirely different beast. It is VERY specific and VERY regulated. Heck, for documents any smartphone would work (and I have run environments where it was used for medical records, just not imaging).
    Actually it's only true if you are accessing patient's information per HIPAA requirements - I run the technology at a 3D medical visualization firm and in the past ~13 years we entered a lot of different fields (books, TV, videos, web, apps, medical applications, you name it) but I never had to seriously worry about being HIPAA-compliant.
    04-28-14 12:33 PM
    I am owning up. It is to my belief that iphones and androids are toys.

But it's really just you and your limited ability to perform without a physical keyboard - the only main difference between your Q10 and those other devices... Try to get a real job that could take advantage of mobility and suddenly you will see they are just as good as anything else because they are just tools, means to an end, not the other way around.

Didnt I explain why already?
    No, you didn't.

I in fact own an iphone and a SGS3.
    Great... and? Not much of an argument even if it's true.

Anyways its my opinion vs yours lets spare everyone useless ranting shall we? I think we both have said what we wanted to say.
    Sure, You made a stupid trolling comment, you got called out for it, you have no arguments to back up your trolling ("my opinion"), so suddenly now you want to move on, we get it.
    04-28-14 12:41 PM
    It's irrelevant what type of physician it was, I'll just state from my experience in the hospital that the app that doctor was using on his iPhone was likely something like Epocrates; he likely knew which medication he wanted to provide (Epocrates doesn't tell you how to treat anything, just details about meds that you may use) and was looking up specific dosing standards for the other poster's body weight. I can't know for sure, but the point I'm making is that the apps available in the App Store are hugely beneficial for providing quick reference to health care providers. In fact, the most number of trusted medical apps are built for iOS, and many health care systems are signing onto having unique apps built for their hospitals and clinics.

The reason I'm saying all of this is that the device's screen won't be enough to win the industry over. As much as we hate it, Apple has convinced nearly all smartphone users that you need an app to do things. I think Chen and Co. will likely utilize a two-prong approach where there is specific software built to provide a better experience to physicians to compliment the optimal screen size/resolution for viewing medical imaging.

Whether they succeed is the real question as it's going to be nothing but an uphill battle.

Posted via CB10
    As another medical student (this time from the UK) I have to add that the only frustrating of having my blackberry is the lack of medical apps. I could sideload but it still isn't a great experience especially with the Q10. I miss out on a lot of great apps by choosing BB10

Posted via CB10
    00stryder likes this.
    04-28-14 01:27 PM
84 1234