BlackBerry and NantHealth plan to develop a smartphone (aka Windermere) for the healthcare industry that's optimized for viewing 3D images and CT scans.

It's expected to arrive in late 2014 or early 2015.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 12:02 PM
    BlackBerry and NantHealth plan to develop a smartphone (aka Windermere) for the healthcare industry that's optimized for viewing 3D images and CT scans.

Posted via CB10
    Pretty sure that 2015 will be too late....

But then again, if they sell the patents, they should buy them another year.
    04-15-14 12:04 PM
    Should be fairly soon, there are cases for them already.
    Case manufacturers already preparing for the Q30 / Windermere | CrackBerry.com
    That JC sure moves fast.
    04-15-14 12:11 PM
    Its not about looks. The Windermere has that big square screen to view 3D images clearly

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 04:40 PM
    Eek! Great for health care maybe for viewing images, but would you want to be seen using one of those monsters as a daily phone? Urghhhh!!!

Careful! Z10 in action!
    Omnitech likes this.
    04-15-14 04:49 PM
    Im sure there will be multiple versions of the Q30. One for health care and at least another for prosumer/enterprise users. Hopefully the changes are mostly software.

Its actually a very clever strategy in mitigating risk, basically they have created a standard for mobile devices for the healthcare industry. To what extent that is still unclear.

But it does mean guaranteed sales or in the business world known as "pre-sale contracts".

BlackBerry is filling a need while achieving a greater economy of scale to start production of this device for their own target customers.

If they can achieve worldwide healthcare device standards, that would mean a few million (maybe even tens of millions?) units purchased even before they start making the phone.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2228, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    04-15-14 05:23 PM
    That is one weird looking phone. But I guess it will serve it's purpose for that industry. It all makes sense now, I always wondered what that heck BlackBerry was thinking when they revealed the cases for it. JC sure knows what he's doing.

We just need the next flagship all touch device to come next. Waiting for my Z50.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 05:24 PM
    Good catch

? Slicing using my ?
    04-15-14 06:04 PM
    That is one weird looking phone. But I guess it will serve it's purpose for that industry. It all makes sense now, I always wondered what that heck BlackBerry was thinking when they revealed the cases for it. JC sure knows what he's doing.
    Yeah, that's the ticket - build the ugly phone for enterprise deployment. It will help prevent pilferage, right?
    04-15-14 06:24 PM
    It's ugly but great for what it will be used for in the health industry!

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 07:43 PM
    It's ugly but great for what it will be used for in the health industry!

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure doctors will not mind carrying these around...

A tablet form factor just makes a better fit for this type of usage.

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt likes this.
    04-15-14 08:04 PM
    I remember when a BlackBerry was a status symbol. Ppl with bb's were driven personalities with very important jobs that required them to be superconnected. You could see these urban professionals carrying a BlackBerry in one hand and a Starbucks cup in the other. They were everywhere, always getting things done.

It was from this scene that the BlackBerry phone gradually migrated to the average consumer market. I know bc this is how I first noticed and then bought my first BlackBerry. I would see all these ppl buzzing around with their "CrackBerry" in hand. I became curious about the phones and decided to take the dive in '07 and have not left since.

I think this same formula can lead to the rebirth of BlackBerry. If major industries like health-care, rediscover the BlackBerry and you have swarms of powerful and influential ppl using BlackBerry, titans of industry, finance, politics, it will cross over to the consumer at large because ppl pay attention to the rich and powerful and follow the trends they set.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 08:27 PM
    I remember when a BlackBerry was a status symbol. Ppl with bb's were driven personalities with very important jobs that required them to be superconnected. You could see these urban professionals carrying a BlackBerry in one hand and a Starbucks cup in the other. They were everywhere, always getting things done.

It was from this scene that the BlackBerry phone gradually migrated to the average consumer market. I know bc this is how I first noticed and then bought my first BlackBerry. I would see all these ppl buzzing around with their "CrackBerry" in hand. I became curious about the phones and decided to take the dive in '07 and have not left since.

I think this same formula can lead to the rebirth of BlackBerry. If major industries like health-care, rediscover the BlackBerry and you have swarms of powerful and influential ppl using BlackBerry, titans of industry, finance, politics, it will cross over to the consumer at large because ppl pay attention to the rich and powerful and follow the trends they set.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. BlackBerry has to stay the course. Eventually even hipsters, teenagers and college/university students need to get a job and grow out of their toys

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2228, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    Last edited by Q10Nutter; 04-16-14 at 06:25 AM.
    04-15-14 08:50 PM
    Exactly it needs to be a pure business phone!

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 01:44 AM

Posted via CB10
    You're really high! This same ideal promise was with the original.PlayBook using Flash and Adobe Air.

Look how far that actually delivered lol. Nothing.

I.do like your far reaching enthusiasm though.

BlackBerry Q10 ? & Full Metal CB10!
    shupor likes this.
    04-16-14 01:46 AM
    I'm not high

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 03:41 AM
    They might be referring to the octa-core processor phone that's coming out. It would be able to handle graphics pretty easily.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 03:43 AM
    Sorry, any proof that Q30 AKA Windermere is the phone developed by NantHealth and BlackBerry? Where did you get this information from? Why should it have a 3 row touch sensitive (revolutionary keyboard) for a health care industry? Thank you.

Posted via CB10
    HUNTZODIAC likes this.
    04-16-14 06:10 AM
    You're really high! This same ideal promise was with the original.PlayBook using Flash and Adobe Air.

Look how far that actually delivered lol. Nothing.

I.do like your far reaching enthusiasm though.

BlackBerry Q10 ? & Full Metal CB10!
    Let's be civil here on the forums, there's no need for calling people out on something that has validity. When I first saw the cases I thought BlackBerry lost their minds but it makes sense now. If that industry wants a phone like that, then why not built it and cater to them since JC already closed the deal with them? BlackBerry has nothing to lose here, but only gain.

I think a lot of people can't see JC's vision. The consumer which is us might not agree with what he's doing right now, but he's focusing on enterprise right now. This will keep BlackBerry alive, and when BlackBerry has stabilized he will shift his focus to the consumer as well. For now we have the Z30 flagship and the Z3 ready for release and and the Q20, then the flagship Z50 that JC talked about winning over consumers from other platforms to be released sometime in 2015 now instead of Q3 2014.

BlackBerry will not rise over night. It will take some time. Give it a few Q's and let's see what happens.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 06:11 AM
    If it turns out to be a heavy duty mega bold, with some killer spec for industry, this could get interesting. It may be sought after by the geeks and under ground freaks, just because people want what they can't have.

Posted via CB10
    Flatman likes this.
    04-16-14 06:18 AM
    "Heavy duty mega bold" I like the sound of that!

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 07:17 AM
    This is all starting to look very promising indeed.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 07:51 AM
    Promising indeed

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 06:47 PM
    Let's be civil here on the forums, there's no need for calling people out on something that has validity. When I first saw the cases I thought BlackBerry lost their minds but it makes sense now. If that industry wants a phone like that, then why not built it and cater to them since JC already closed the deal with them? BlackBerry has nothing to lose here, but only gain.

I think a lot of people can't see JC's vision. The consumer which is us might not agree with what he's doing right now, but he's focusing on enterprise right now. This will keep BlackBerry alive, and when BlackBerry has stabilized he will shift his focus to the consumer as well. For now we have the Z30 flagship and the Z3 ready for release and and the Q20, then the flagship Z50 that JC talked about winning over consumers from other platforms to be released sometime in 2015 now instead of Q3 2014.

BlackBerry will not rise over night. It will take some time. Give it a few Q's and let's see what happens.

Posted via CB10
    I agree. With the current situation BlackBerry is in, consumers market at this point does not serve the company well. The amount of money to market and advertise is not there nor should it be wasted for little or no positive results. However, a more narrow focus on certain markets can help keep the company's footing in the business.
    vagos2006 likes this.
    04-16-14 06:56 PM
    Wow a phone that is almost custom made for me! Can't wait!
    04-16-14 07:04 PM
84 123 ...