I have some empathy with your situation. I use Hangouts for work chat extensively - don't really use the phone, but we do a LOT of IM and use the video for screen sharing / debugging / collaboration.

So, after putzing around substantially, I'm reduced to either using the Hangouts mobile screen in my BB10 browser (tolerable for IM) or hooking to my iPad on Wifi or tethered to my phone if it involves anything more sophisticated.

Once my contract is up I'll consider swapping my Classic for a PRIV or Vienna.

Unrelated side note: I'm watching the Beach Boys on YouTube and didn't realize the Canadian influence that was on them: video from 1962 where the band is wearing LUMBERJACK SHIRTS! Too funny!
    01-25-16 10:53 AM
    Firstly, I'm impressed with how the others responded.
    This is how we should all respond to original posters, with civility and openmindedness.

OP, we may all be future Priv users in the future who may seek the tools you listed .

Hopefully they will work on the Priv.

Maybe there will be a Passport android, who knows !!?

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    Well, comments would have been more abrasive (prior to this post) had this thread been started in either the overarching BB10 OS forum or in the Priv forum. In fact, this thread may have remained completely "safe" had it not appeared in the "trending now".

I am not attacking the OP here as my comment is not directed to the OP of this thread specifically, however, you have to sometimes wonder the motives behind certain posts. Or at least question why the OPs felt they needed to write what they did/do. Surely the OP realized that stating Google Voice and widgets as reasons to ditch BB10 for Android would receive some flak; in fact OP opens with "Before you jump down my throat..." Bottom line: the OP knew this would be a hot-button issue for perhaps many around here yet went ahead and started the thread, anyways. To add, the OP then chimes in with a challenge.

With that I do agree that we all use our smartphones in our own unique ways. For me, I know that ultimately I would find iOS, Android, and even W10 phone to work to my satisfaction as I still create my to-do lists with pen and paper and do 99% of my computing on a laptop. All apps to me are honestly just a convenience thing. I have also owned three Android handsets in the past, had an iPod Touch since Day 1, have had iPads since Day 1 as well, and Ms. BBQ has always owned an iPhone. I am not "dedicated" to BlackBerry in any way--I have just always found BB10, and BBOS before that, to be the best suited for my own usages and as having had a BlackBerry as my daily driver since 2007 or so I have grown accustomed to being a "BlackBerry guy". I do find a certain amount of pride (or ignorance, if you want to call it that ) with being a part of Team BlackBerry. And that is all.

No need to feel like you gotta apologize or explain yourself! Your phone choice is your own - if it works for you, awesome.
    I gotta say that Priv being Android has certainly changed a lot of perceptions around here.
    00stryder and ricecube like this.
    01-25-16 11:52 AM
    Reminders and To-do lists: I need information in front of me. The more steps between me and my to-do lists/calendars (opening apps or swiping pages to get to them), the less of the chance I'll actually see them and just forget; I have a really short attention span. I wish the Passport could support widgets.
    I'm with you. At least when it comes to the short attention span

But IMHO OS10 delivers the better solution. If I have things coming up, I simply let my calendar and/or remember app open on the homescreen. So it works perfectly like a widget and reminds me of all the appointments and "todos". If I'm having a week off / weekend etc. I simply close those apps and don't get disturbed.

Remember has Evernote integrated, which I use on my Mac. And also google Calendar is there to synchronice all my devices. Just speaking for myself of cause but there's hardly anything better for me.

But if Android's fine for you, I'm lucky you found your right 'partner'.
    jope28 likes this.
    01-26-16 05:06 AM
    Hmmm....
    I'm currently hesitating to get a PP SE to replace my Z30 as a daily driver next to my LG G3. Unfortunately the price of the device is too high just to jump on it for a 'test' if it suits me or not.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-16 09:55 AM
    No one can blame you for using what works for you. Besides, you went 14 MONTHS with BB10 and enjoyed what it offered which just so happened to be inadequate for your specific needs. It's not like it was 14 days or something. BB10 really is missing out on those kind of services you need. Those services that can only come with a robust app/service ecosystem. OS design can only take one so far. Enjoy your new phone and stay productive (and happy).

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    01-26-16 10:06 AM
    Hmmm....
    I'm currently hesitating to get a PP SE to replace my Z30 as a daily driver next to my LG G3. Unfortunately the price of the device is too high just to jump on it for a 'test' if it suits me or not.

Posted via CB10
    I went from my Z30 to a ATT Passport as my DD and was a great move and now I sold that and got a SE another great move.

You wont have regrets
    01-26-16 05:14 PM
    If you have t-mobile... you have unlimited wifi calling... then again.... pretty much all of t-mobile is unlimited voice anyway.

Free texting internationally too iirc, we don't use much.
    01-26-16 05:58 PM
    If you have t-mobile... you have unlimited wifi calling... then again.... pretty much all of t-mobile is unlimited voice anyway.

At this point, most (all the "new") Verizon plans are unlimited voice and text as well, though not sure about international texts.

I think OP's primary concern is having communication capabilities without good/stable network connectivity. That's understandable, and at that point it doesn't matter what the carrier offers outside of VOIP options.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-16 06:46 PM

Yes, but then that goes back to using Blend. As it stands, Google Voice/Hangouts integration is far superior to Blend. You don't even need your smartphone on and you can continue to make calls and texts all day long from your computer or other device. It really is pretty sweet.
    01-26-16 07:40 PM
    YEAH!!!

Posted via CB10
    01-27-16 09:10 AM
    YEAH!!!

Posted via CB10
    The troll's still here. Enjoy him everyone.
    01-27-16 09:17 AM
    hes a toad lol
    01-27-16 09:27 AM
    hes a toad lol
    Rib bit

Posted via CB10
    01-27-16 10:26 AM
    I have a note 4 Im thinking about trading for PP. lol.
    01-28-16 03:34 AM
    I'm with you. At least when it comes to the short attention span

But IMHO OS10 delivers the better solution. If I have things coming up, I simply let my calendar and/or remember app open on the homescreen. So it works perfectly like a widget and reminds me of all the appointments and "todos". If I'm having a week off / weekend etc. I simply close those apps and don't get disturbed.

Remember has Evernote integrated, which I use on my Mac. And also google Calendar is there to synchronice all my devices. Just speaking for myself of cause but there's hardly anything better for me.

But if Android's fine for you, I'm lucky you found your right 'partner'.
    I pulled out the black OG Passport I'm keeping and typed a ToDo list via Evernote in Remember. No matter the size of the live tile, it greys out to the big Remember logo in a few seconds, so there's no way to keep the list visible on my home screen, going back to one of my reasons. Calendar live tile doesn't display upcoming days, only today. So if you're done for the day it says "No upcoming appointments."

Different for you?
    01-28-16 09:33 AM
    I always come back to the passport, I've used them all but.. I really jump to other devices because I depend on Truckers path and Smart truck route, I can't get them to work on the passport.. Transflo + is another app that I need and depend on, I keep two phones most of the time but I wish I could have it working on my passport

 Posted via my BlackBerry Passport!
    01-29-16 08:56 PM
    I always come back to the passport, I've used them all but.. I really jump to other devices because I depend on Truckers path and Smart truck route, I can't get them to work on the passport.. Transflo + is another app that I need and depend on, I keep two phones most of the time but I wish I could have it working on my passport

 Posted via my BlackBerry Passport!
    What device are you using for trucker..i am one of those as well.
    Transflo app on phone?
    01-29-16 10:11 PM
    Well sadly BlackBerry 10 development is pretty much dead so anyone who is hoping for new features is SOL. I'm happy with what my device does now so I won't be switching.
    01-30-16 10:02 AM
    The problem with blackberry merging with android is the only gain you get is the apps. Most blackberry 10 users prefer blackberry 10 as an OS over android and iOS. If they could simply get a fully functional Google play store, or an up to par blackberry world on BB10, then that would be the ideal device. To me an android blackberry feels like they're corner cutting to me. But unfortunately the majority of the market demands android or iOS devices. So the priv should do well for them. I however won't be buying one. I absolutely hate android.
    01-30-16 04:48 PM
    A BlackBerry fan who leaves for Android should be ashamed now that the PRIV is available. HAHA!

Not to diss, but seriously, that's a weird move. Excluding price (which shouldn't even be that important to a true BlackBerry fan) there is no reason a current BlackBerry user shouldn't buy a PRIV. I mean, if you have food and shelter of course, but after that... HaBooAh!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-30-16 09:15 PM
    A BlackBerry fan who leaves for Android should be ashamed now that the PRIV is available. HAHA!

Not to diss, but seriously, that's a weird move. Excluding price (which shouldn't even be that important to a true BlackBerry fan) there is no reason a current BlackBerry user shouldn't buy a PRIV. I mean, if you have food and shelter of course, but after that... HaBooAh!

Sure there is. Root.
    01-30-16 09:18 PM
    I've come to the conclusion that BlackBerry's Android is the only version of Android I would use and because of this, I've even grown to like it a lot since it released.

Never expected the BlackBerry 10ness to be that close to official BlackBerry 10 because that's pretty much impossible. But reality is, this PRIV with its "BlackBerry Android" is actually really good.

Way better than I expected, once I got over the couple hours it took to get used to it.

kidmac13 likes this.
    01-30-16 09:19 PM
    Sure there is. Root.
    I don't care at all about rooting my PRIV. In fact, I'm glad it can't be rooted. A BlackBerry user doesn't care about rooting. LOL! We've never been able to "root" any of our devices, so it really doesn't matter to a BlackBerry fan.

01-30-16 09:20 PM
    Whoops

01-30-16 09:22 PM
    I don't care at all about rooting my PRIV. In fact, I'm glad it can't be rooted. A BlackBerry user doesn't care about rooting. LOL! We've never been able to "root" any of our devices, so it really doesn't matter to a BlackBerry fan.

You said there's no reason, so I gave you one. You then once again try to meld every BlackBerry user into a single type of person that cares about X, likes Y, and hates Z.

Whatever, bro.
    01-30-16 10:21 PM
62 123