Dear BlackBerry fans,

I just went to the store and bought a brandnew BlackBerry Passport for just 100 Euro yesterday.

It was a hard decision since I am happy with my KeyOne. But when I saw the price I thought about the glory days of BB10 and the fun we had here.

I watched youtube videos and it just felt good. The design inspired by the building in Toronto from Mies van der Rohe, the keyboard and the unique design. As a designer myself I need things which communicate my personality. I can't imagine having things everybody have.

I am also a minimalist. Seeing the people glued to these smartphones I said to myself, that I don't wanna spend so much time on a device. So I don't need social media apps. It is a waste of time for me and very artificial. If you do business with social media, perfect. But otherwise it is not for me. Too much drama.

I installed whatsapp with APK. Works good. Otherwise I use BBM. Browser works as well the Maps app. And the Keyboard!!! And the user interface.

It is like driving a Jaguar instead of a Nissan Micra. The quality is premium. The design? Flawless. You can't compare the KeyOne with it.

I will test it for a month. If it won't work, I have my KeyOne on the side.

As a minimalist I think this could work out very well. I just wanna be in contact with my peers, family and beloved ones, taking pictures, listen to music, mail and calendar.

The UI of the calendar on the KeyOne is horrible. The one on the passport is like coming home. Speaker quality is ace.

I feel I can have a lot of fun with it. It is like coming home.

I really don't need gazillion of apps. Less is more.

If you think about getting one in 2018 and love being minimalist, this could be the phone to go.

I will keep you updated guys.

Posted via CB10
    jemireu, falbo, dmlis and 11 others like this.
    03-18-18 01:35 PM
    Welcome home! Too bad about the eviction notice end of 2019. Not sure how that will pan out once they cut out the electricity and heat.

I am typing this out on my Passport and I also think it is a great device. Let's just hope that BB10 doesn't get too 'unplugged' any time soon.
    berradicted_fr likes this.
    03-18-18 02:07 PM
    Hear, hear...
    03-18-18 03:55 PM
    I have a K1 and miss my PP everyday. But the camera died. The one good thing about the K1 is the camera. The PP's is not very good. And there are BB apps that I no longer use on the K1 because of a terrible design, such as the CB App. I access the forums now through an RSS feed.
    Gazelle065 likes this.
    03-18-18 04:04 PM
    Just curious: which (physical?) store had it brand new for 100€? Mediamarkt in Germany?
    03-18-18 10:58 PM
    Just curious: which (physical?) store had it brand new for 100€? Mediamarkt in Germany?
    They have it online for 119 euros ca...

Posted via CB10
    03-18-18 11:59 PM
    Yes. Mediamarkt. They had two Passports. 1 new and 1 opened. The costumer didn't picked it up after an online order. So he offered me the device for 100 Euro.

A steal. Like new and nicely packed.

Writing this from the passport. The keyboard is amazing. Keyones not so.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-18 03:42 AM
    It is the details that makes BlackBerry outstanding.

Today I was docking my Passport on my car. It quickly regognized the device. On the screen of the Passport it said: "my car" in green.

Where on the KeyOne it just in grey.

There must be something special. I am still truly amazed by the device.

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    03-19-18 11:58 AM
    I understand completely. I went to a priv then to a Windows phone (lumia 1520) which was cool but buggy and got too slow. Now I'm back on a passport and love it dunno why I even left it. I'm going to keep the passport as long as possible. Older apks of android apps work just fun with the runtime. Other then my banking app I'm happy with it. People still ask me about the phone in 2018. Much like windows phone the bb10 operating system functions well even out of date. Go try and use an android from the same time period, it's a brick.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-18 12:09 PM
    True, Mr Burns.

I will also test this nice device until the end. I had a Q10 when it came out and Thorsten Heinz presented it. Same with the Z30 and the Passport. I even had one in white also! Then I left BB10 and switched to Android (Huawei Honor 8). Then to a PRIV to test BlackBerry Android. And then to the KeyOne. I was lucky to be in the delta test group of last year! Great device.

But coming back to the Passport is like coming home. The font, UI, design, premium build? Priceless.

And as stated. I am a minimalist. Don't need so many apps as I want to reduce the time, playing with the smartphone. It works. Quality time with mail, messaging, calendar, photos, etc. I am fine doing that with the passport.

And it is unique among those slabs.
    03-19-18 01:19 PM
    Totally agree with you guys. I enjoy using my passport and it does all I need. Don't do Facebook or twitter etc or have loads of unnecessary apps. This device is amazingly awesome.

Posted via my awesome passport
    03-19-18 01:24 PM
    Yes. Mediamarkt. They had two Passports. 1 new and 1 opened. The costumer didn't picked it up after an online order. So he offered me the device for 100 Euro.

A steal. Like new and nicely packed.

Writing this from the passport. The keyboard is amazing. Keyones not so.

Posted via CB10
    Curious. Does the Passport also have the German keyboard?

Thanks.

Pete
    AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3057
    03-19-18 01:28 PM
    It still does what I need. The brilliant Passport. I do have a Keyone, but I simply can't attach myself to the phone though the camera does a better job.

Posted via CB10
    cyberdoggie likes this.
    03-19-18 01:38 PM
    Yes!

I could never use a qwerty keyboard. But qwertz are still available.
    03-19-18 02:10 PM
    Seeing the people glued to these smartphones I said to myself, that I don't wanna spend so much time on a device. So I don't need social media apps. It is a waste of time for me and very artificial. If you do business with social media, perfect. But otherwise it is not for me. Too much drama.

Posted via CB10
    That's a good point, it's a good device to disconnect from the noise, it does the basics like email, calendar and such really well, the rest is fluff.
    03-19-18 03:06 PM
    Dear BlackBerry fans,

I just went to the store and bought a brandnew BlackBerry Passport for just 100 Euro yesterday.

It was a hard decision since I am happy with my KeyOne. But when I saw the price I thought about the glory days of BB10 and the fun we had here.

I watched youtube videos and it just felt good. The design inspired by the building in Toronto from Mies van der Rohe, the keyboard and the unique design. As a designer myself I need things which communicate my personality. I can't imagine having things everybody have.

I am also a minimalist. Seeing the people glued to these smartphones I said to myself, that I don't wanna spend so much time on a device. So I don't need social media apps. It is a waste of time for me and very artificial. If you do business with social media, perfect. But otherwise it is not for me. Too much drama.

I installed whatsapp with APK. Works good. Otherwise I use BBM. Browser works as well the Maps app. And the Keyboard!!! And the user interface.

It is like driving a Jaguar instead of a Nissan Micra. The quality is premium. The design? Flawless. You can't compare the KeyOne with it.

I will test it for a month. If it won't work, I have my KeyOne on the side.

As a minimalist I think this could work out very well. I just wanna be in contact with my peers, family and beloved ones, taking pictures, listen to music, mail and calendar.

The UI of the calendar on the KeyOne is horrible. The one on the passport is like coming home. Speaker quality is ace.

I feel I can have a lot of fun with it. It is like coming home.

I really don't need gazillion of apps. Less is more.

If you think about getting one in 2018 and love being minimalist, this could be the phone to go.

I will keep you updated guys.

Posted via CB10
    Can't anyone be a minimalist by just not logging into any social media apps or achieve disconnection status by merely logging out from the various social media apps? Buying a phone without those features seems like overkill when you're not forced to use social media unless for your job or business.
    03-19-18 03:31 PM
    Buying a phone without those features seems like overkill when you're not forced to use social media unless for your job or business.
    I don't see how "buying a device that lacks the ability to do something you don't even want to do and therefore has features you like and no other device offers" can seem like overkill.
    03-19-18 05:48 PM
    I don't see how "buying a device that lacks the ability to do something you don't even want to do and therefore has features you like and no other device offers" can seem like overkill.
    Per the OP, already has KEYone. The overkill is buying another device when you can just log off social media or don’t use additional features of KEYone. What does exact feature does the Passport offer that KEYone doesn’t have?
    03-19-18 09:26 PM
    Is there a lack of social apps on the passport? I'm running facebook, facebook messenger and instagram android apps with notifications going right to the hub. What's the problem? Use the correct apks and you are set. I even use Google maps. All without the Google spy nonsense

Posted via CB10
    ratfinkstooley likes this.
    03-19-18 09:58 PM
    I even use Google maps. All without the Google spy nonsense
    You only get to pick one, not both.
    03-20-18 12:36 AM
    Per the OP, already has KEYone. The overkill is buying another device when you can just log off social media or don’t use additional features of KEYone. What does exact feature does the Passport offer that KEYone doesn’t have?
    Better keyboard, 1:1 ratio screen, better quality( both suffer some certain issue, but Keyone does lose as I have at least tens of friends with Keyone and they are reporting different issues.), better multi task, fluent user interface, better off without having to help Google datamine, better speaker, much more iconic when you see one.

Just to name a few.

Keyone is good, but Passport is better, not in every way but in certain ways, which happen to be what I care about.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-18 02:41 AM
    He did elaborate his reasons. He obviously did NOT buy the Passport to get rid of social media apps, since this indeed would be overkill.

"It is like driving a Jaguar instead of a Nissan Micra. The quality is premium. The design? Flawless. You can't compare the KeyOne with it. "
    "The UI of the calendar on the KeyOne is horrible. The one on the passport is like coming home. Speaker quality is ace.

I feel I can have a lot of fun with it. It is like coming home. "
    03-20-18 07:40 AM
    De gustibus my friend. I still like more the Passport than the Keyone. I do not like the shape of the Keyone, the keyboard side (pieces are too small for me), and I find the screen too long (considering also the keyboard).

You may prefer the shape of the Keyone...again, De Gustibus+ productivity+interest on apps+...whatever you want. Everybody has his own taste.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-18 01:00 PM
    I was forced to move to keyone because clients use whatsapp to communicate. Nice to have access to apps, but didnt use many of them. dropped my keyone and the screen broke. no spares available, I am going to start up my passport and hope it works when I get back home. has anyone tried the whatsapp work around?
    03-24-18 09:40 AM
    I was forced to move to keyone because clients use whatsapp to communicate. Nice to have access to apps, but didnt use many of them. dropped my keyone and the screen broke. no spares available, I am going to start up my passport and hope it works when I get back home. has anyone tried the whatsapp work around?
    WhatsApp Android works fine with WhatsApp fixer.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-18 11:14 AM
170 123 ...