Hi,

My Passport arrives any minute now. Any tips, tricks or advice on switching to it from my Q10?

Thanks in advance.

Q10 (SQN100-3)
    03-19-15 01:38 PM
    You shouldn't have any problems. There is a bit of a learning curve with the 3 row keyboard, but after a week....no problems. The thing that kept tripping me up was, I thought I was hitting the Shift key in the bottom right corner and it was the Enter key. The swiping up of the predicted words took a bit to get used to. I would accidently swipe up a"!" or a "?" instead of a word.
    I used to be a 2 handed typer on my Q10, so going to the Passport was no problem.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 02:51 PM
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking for tips/advice on the actual migration of data, etc. from the Q to the PP. Do I do a full backup of the Q10 via BB Link and then restore that backup to the PP? Do's and don'ts? Short cuts? Time savers?
    03-19-15 03:36 PM
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking for tips/advice on the actual migration of data, etc. from the Q to the PP. Do I do a full backup of the Q10 via BB Link and then restore that backup to the PP? Do's and don'ts? Short cuts? Time savers?
    That's all I ever do. Whether switching phones or installing a new leak, I do a full backup then restore it later. There are many "legend myths" that oppose that. However, that's all I've ever done with all different models of Blackberries and Androids, and never had a problem. I'm speaking as one who changes phone weekly. You just have to be smart in your approach. For example, I don't use a newer dataset to restore on an older OS, etc, but going from old to newer has never been a problem.
    03-19-15 03:57 PM
    I did my data migration via SD card and Sim cards and re-installed apps via BlackBerry World and SNAP.

Do:
    - stick with it for two weeks (especially the keyboard switch) or so before making up your mind to return it or not.
    - after a week or so go back to you Q10 and you'll be amazed at how you ever got by without the Passport's screen.
    - use CB to answer questions a fiddle around with it

Don't:
    - get too hung up on the size of the device or some adapting you might have to make.
    - get hung up on complaints and issues folks are making on CB or other forums. Some are legit but they are in the minority and most are from folks that are not willing to problem solve or just like to spread angst.

I went from a Q10 to the Passport and so glad I did. Everyday I advance in productivity and discover an added benefit from the 10.3.1 update. I really cannot imagine myself going back to a smaller screen and am just as fast typing as I ever was on my Q10.

That said, I know it is not the device for everyone. Different folks have different priorities and reasons for the choices they make.

I hope your decision to opt for the Passport works out great for you!
    03-19-15 04:07 PM
    Thanks for the comments folks. All I can say now is WHERE IS THAT UPS TRUCK! LOL
    03-19-15 04:19 PM
    Keyboard on passport will feel terrible at first. Don't get discouraged. Takes a little longer to adapt but once you do you're just as good as the Q10. And the mixture of physical keys + flicking words is sex.

Posted via CB10 for Passport
    03-19-15 05:24 PM
    If it was me I'd do the following ...

Update the Q10 to the Latest OS.
    Let the Q10 Settle.
    Backup the Q10.
    Update the Passport to the Latest OS.
    Restore the Backup to the Passport.

Allow a couple of weeks to get familiar with the Passport. I've had mine about 6 weeks and I'm still learning tricks. There are so many of them.

If you follow the above procedure you'll be able to go back without an OS mismatch with the backups.

Working WIDE T-Mobile  вιaсĸвεггч Passport Autoloaded 10.3.1.2267 Sachesi Update to 10.3.1.2582
    03-19-15 05:51 PM
    Finally arrived! Just unboxed! About to power it up. With any luck my next post here will be from the Passport.

Q10 (SQN100-3)
    03-19-15 07:31 PM
    You may use the Device Switch app to transfer data from Q10. But if that does not work (error occurs as what others experienced), you can just use the BlackBerry Link. My experience with BlackBerry link was flawless.

Make sure you update the OS to 2576 (SR 1779). If it's not available yet OTA and only older version appears for update, don't update yet. You might end up hating the device because of the flickering. It was fixed it the latest OS 2576.

Good luck! Hope UPS has arrived!

Posted via my Pretty WhiteBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    03-19-15 07:33 PM
    Nice!

Enjoy it man!

Finally arrived! Just unboxed! About to power it up. With any luck my next post here will be from the Passport.

Q10 (SQN100-3)
    03-19-15 07:37 PM
    Use the device switch in Blackberry Link. Works perfectly and transfers everything. Biggest difference is no more lag.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 08:28 PM
    Wah wahh wahhhhh. No sim shipped with the Passport and the one from my Q10 doesn't fit. :-(

Posted from the Passport

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 08:38 PM
    Wah wahh wahhhhh. No sim shipped with the Passport and the one from my Q10 doesn't fit. :-(

Posted from the Passport

Posted via CB10
    Hahaha! I can relate to the frustration! Sorry about that. Go to your carrier store now to get a nano sim!

Posted via my Pretty WhiteBerry Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    03-19-15 08:49 PM
    Hi there. It happened the same to me. From Q10 to Passport. I knew the SIM was different so I got a SIM adapter. Yoy can get one in Amazon for $5 or Best Buy for $10. Good luck if you find one in Best Buy, but stilk you can order one online. In Amazon rhe problem coukd be it take a few weeks to arrive, at least in Canada. I sometimes switch the SIM and use the Q10 but I'm so happy with the Passport, specually with 10.3.1. I use different Blackberry IDs and keep the minimum in the Q10.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-19-15 08:53 PM
    Just another thought - have you considered using the Device Switch App to just transfer contacts, calendar, and media instead of restoring from a backup on a different device? Might be better to start with a clean slate.

Just a thought, congratulations on your shiny new Passport, I have one and love it. I think you'll get a real kick out of the touch keyboard, and flipping it sideways to browse through web pages, etc. Enjoy!
    03-19-15 08:56 PM
    The Passport comes with 10.3.0.xxxx but when I check for OS updates none are available. Is that because there is no SIM?

Q10 (SQN100-3)
    03-19-15 09:35 PM
    Depends on your provider if it's not an unlocked device. If you check out the BB10 Leaked / Beta OS forum you'll see live links for 10.3.1.2582. Since you haven't switched yet from your Q10, now might be a good time to play around with Sachesi and autoloaders to update your device. You can always revert to the latest supported OS with your provider using BB Link if it doesn't work out. Good luck!
    03-19-15 10:03 PM
    Transferring data from my Q10 to Passport was a headache! I had to give up on some files, I"ve lost about 200 contacts I haven't completely identified yet. BlackBerry Link sucked, never worked.

Device Switch (website is Device Switch I think) was cool, moved a lot of things but not SMS/MMS, and my notes were all jumbled. Eventually got Backup Pro, worked great (moved everything well) but then I lost about 200 (of almost a thousand) contacts. I contacted the devs; VERY helpful guys, we couldn't figure out how they went missing really, they at least tried. Backup Pro would be the way to go for me now; once I figure out all the contacts I lost.

Hope you love it... Passport is pretty dope!
    03-20-15 01:04 AM
    Transferring data from my Q10 to Passport was a headache! I had to give up on some files, I"ve lost about 200 contacts I haven't completely identified yet. BlackBerry Link sucked, never worked.

Device Switch (website is Device Switch I think) was cool, moved a lot of things but not SMS/MMS, and my notes were all jumbled. Eventually got Backup Pro, worked great (moved everything well) but then I lost about 200 (of almost a thousand) contacts. I contacted the devs; VERY helpful guys, we couldn't figure out how they went missing really, they at least tried. Backup Pro would be the way to go for me now; once I figure out all the contacts I lost.

I've been suggesting this app to everyone lately: InTouchApp

Install the app on your old device, do a backup. Install the app on your new device. Presto. Your contacts are all within the native contacts app and this app does all of its magic behind the scenes.

It's free in BlackBerry World and backs up all of your contacts in a secure cloud account. It also recognizes and deletes all duplicate entries (which was a pain ever since the beginning of BB10 for many). I could not have hoped for it to work any better than it does. And all within the free version. I'm tempted to buy the pro version, not because I need any more features, but just to support the developers for making a great app!

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    anon(9353145) and IamSuperMas like this.
    03-20-15 01:29 AM
    I've been suggesting this app to everyone lately: InTouchApp

Install the app on your old device, do a backup. Install the app on your new device. Presto. Your contacts are all within the native contacts app and this app does all of its magic behind the scenes.

It's free in BlackBerry World and backs up all of your contacts in a secure cloud account. It also recognizes and deletes all duplicate entries (which was a pain ever since the beginning of BB10 for many). I could not have hoped for it to work any better than it does. And all within the free version. I'm tempted to buy the pro version, not because I need any more features, but just to support the developers for making a great app!

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    I don't at-all trust cloud accounts though, don't use em. But I needed something to be able to do everything; essentially like BlackBerry Link should smh
    03-20-15 05:52 AM

Device switch worked perfectly for me from 9810 to Z10 to Z30 to Passport. OP should give it a try first and most likely it will work. If not you can always swipe your Passport and do it again in the same way or try other way.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    03-20-15 08:13 AM
    ASAP :-)

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 08:17 AM
    Hi,

My Passport arrives any minute now. Any tips, tricks or advice on switching to it from my Q10?

Thanks in advance.

Q10 (SQN100-3)
    just one - DO IT.
    You will not regret it!
    03-20-15 08:22 AM