I have had an AT&T Passport for 17 months now but am just getting around to trying wireless charging for the first time. I bought a qi charging pad (Re-Fuel brand) and am having reasonable success with it, but I'm also seeing some flaky behavior. For example, I have difficulty getting it charged much above 70% before it craps out, although with some coaxing and patience I am able to eventually get a full charge.

Does anyone out there have some "best practices" to suggest? Thanks in advance.
    08-07-16 10:50 PM
    works for me, it's slower, but that's with any wireless charging

i have a wireless battery pack so I just bring it to work and set it on top through the day. No extra cables or anything needed
    08-08-16 08:51 PM
    Thanks for the reply. Agreed that speed is not fast, but less wear and wear on the connector is important.

I wonder if heat is an issue. If I let the phone cool a little before I put it back on the pad, that seems to help snap it back into charging mode.
    08-08-16 10:21 PM
    Yes, unfortunately the heat seems to be my case with AT&T Passport Qi wireless charging as with any of the purchased Qi chargers, my Passport gets hot.

Fortunately, I also use the app Power Tools which has an option to notify me when the battery reaches a temperature setting I have the ability to set as the warning. I set it to 96 �F since the safety packet says 95 �F is the safe use level.

I then take my Passport off the charger, wait to cool and set back on.

Both Qi chargers have no problems getting to 100%, it's the inconvenience of the temperature. It will charge at great amounts before the temp is met.

I also noticed it made a difference which type of charging lead/usb I had plugged into my Qi on how quickly my Passport gets hot. So I now use the charging lead/usb that came with Passport hooked to my Qi.

It's still more convenient to use the Qi in my opinion. I use two different brands and styles.

My favorite is a foldable stand Qi that let's me have my Passport in an upright and usable position while charging. I get great life out of the charges.

If you'd like the info on my Qi chargers let me know.

PassportSQW100-3/10.3.2.2876 AT&T
    Last edited by syclone1978; 08-09-16 at 02:11 AM.
    08-09-16 01:46 AM
    It gets warm, I'm not sure how "hot" it is, I have left it on overnight and it feels okay in the morning. Slightly warm but no warmer than if I kept it in my pants pocket all day and warm from body heat.

Maybe move it around the charger until you find a good spot on it? I noticed in some spots, it makes the speakers have static sound. Other spots, it gets really hot, and doesn't charge well. Everyone says it is under the metal dots but for me, I put it just a little off center of it, a bit below it, maybe 0.5 centimeters? It might be just placement of the charger loops on my charger and not the phone location. Sorry, I don't know how well to describe it, I just found that I get different results depending on where/how I place phone. Once I found the good spot, I put a sticker over it and just put it there each time.
    syclone1978 likes this.
    08-10-16 12:14 AM
    Thanks for your posting, I will actually try that process myself. Interested on potential results.
    08-10-16 09:08 PM
    I appreciate the discussion points raised here. So I was inspired to reinstall Power Tools, which I've never used much. Interesting that 96F is the safe battery temp limit because I've been getting a lot of 96F alerts just from normal use, say with phone or video calls going and a few apps open. (BTW, even though I set a higher threshold in Power Tools, it still alerts me @ 96F.) Peak charging temp I've seen is at least 106F - my Passport feels significantly warmer at that temp.

I am, BTW, charging through my case - a Seidio Surface. I tried charging it case off for a few minutes right after getting my charging pad but could not tell that my Passport was any cooler, so I've left it on since.

Of course since I'm leaving the case on, I can't see where the BB symbol is exactly (that's where the sensor is, right?), so I just try to center it within the 2.5" charging "circle."Actually, the diameter of the entire pad is the same as the width of my Passport. I've not noticed yet that temps are different according to placement, but I'll continue to fool around with it. Thank you both for your feedback.
    08-10-16 10:14 PM
    What menu option in Power Tools sets the battery temp alert? I have used Power Tools for a very long time and never saw this option. I looked everywhere and am missing it. I use a Samsung wireless charger at work and have the same issues as everyone else.

Thanks for helping me out on this.
    08-11-16 07:53 AM
    Nokia Fatboys work great. What's inside is the proven charger that's been on the market along time. Works great and will charge up a PP in a couple hours or whatever. Used for a year and had no problems. These chargers are also dirt cheap on ebay or other places

Sent from a Silver Passport.
    08-11-16 09:34 AM
    What menu option in Power Tools sets the battery temp alert? I have used Power Tools for a very long time and never saw this option. I looked everywhere and am missing it.
    The setting for the battery temperature alert is found in the "Battery Settings" submenu all the way at the very bottom, where "Show Hub Message" appears with an optional checkbox. Once you check the box, then you have the ability to set the temp threshold for the alert, which initially defaults for me at 96F. I have set it to a higher value, but that change does not seem to have taken yet. Perhaps I forgot to save my changes, so I'll try again.

As for the temp reading itself, I am going through the System Info-Battery Information pages to find that reading. The various bits of data on that page are interesting, but how accurate are they? E.g., it says my battery charge level is 50%, which I know to be correct, but it also says I have 50 hrs left. By contrast my Device Monitor, which I trust much more, says I only have 9 hrs left at current consumption level.

I guess the one piece of good news, if true, is that Power Tools is telling me that my Passport's battery health is still 84% after 17 months. Does anyone have an idea how that is measured?
    08-11-16 11:30 AM
    Thanks for cluing me in on the battery settings in PowerTools. I have it set now. I appreciate it.
    08-11-16 12:25 PM
    Has anybody transferred qi hardware from AT&T Passport to SE Passport?
    Zeratul57 likes this.
    10-13-16 08:46 AM
    Nokia fatboy works a treat. Has the proven good charger in it.

Sent from a Silver Passport.
    10-13-16 04:44 PM