Can anyone with a Passport tell me if BlackBerry have finally made it easier to access the desktop version of websites in the browser?

With ever bigger screens it's more and more likely that people are going to want to see the desktop version of certain websites. On 10.2.1 having to go into a whole bunch of sub menus to turn it on and then do the same thing to turn it off is ridiculous. You should be able to do it for individual websites from the main menu.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    northern-comfort and thedose like this.
    10-20-14 12:15 PM
    I guess the problem is websites "knowing better than we do" WHAT we want. I am having similar problems with my tablet. Really irritating. I have found that there is generally a link to the full or desktop version. Then I try bookmarking that. Not the best but it works.
    10-20-14 12:32 PM
    I guess the problem is websites "knowing better than we do" WHAT we want. I am having similar problems with my tablet. Really irritating. I have found that there is generally a link to the full or desktop version. Then I try bookmarking that. Not the best but it works.
    There aren't a lot of things I like about Android. One of them however is the ease with which I can access desktop websites. When you go to a website you want to see the desktop version of you simply click the main menu and there is an option "request desktop version". It's only for that individual website. It's great. I don't know why BlackBerry can't have something like that.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    10-20-14 12:35 PM
    Open Browser, then Settings then Developer Tools and select Desktop Mode. You will then get desktop versions of websites. Seems to work with the sites I have tried so far.

Posted via CB10
    nvsfg likes this.
    10-20-14 12:38 PM
    Open Browser, then Settings then Developer Tools and select Desktop Mode. You will then get desktop versions of websites. Seems to work with the sites I have tried so far.
    Yes, I know there is that option. I was hoping that on 10.3 it was easier to do for that going through all those menus. Plus that turns it on for all websites, not individual ones. Then to turn it off you have to go through all that rigamarole again. It should be through an option on the main menu the way it is on Android.
    10-20-14 12:45 PM
    Yes, I know there is that option. I was hoping that on 10.3 it was easier to do for that going through all those menus. Plus that turns it on for all websites, not individual ones. Then to turn it off you have to go through all that rigamarole again. It should be through an option on the main menu the way it is on Android.
    The other way is a lot of sites actually give you a link to desktop versions

BBC.CO.UK

Accessing Desktop Version of Websites-img_20141020_224451.png

Google.com

Accessing Desktop Version of Websites-img_20141020_224614.png

Crackberry.com

Accessing Desktop Version of Websites-img_20141020_224654.png

Youtube.com

Accessing Desktop Version of Websites-img_20141020_224726.png

Posted via CB10
    thedose likes this.
    10-20-14 05:49 PM
    The other way is a lot of sites actually give you a link to desktop versions
    Yes, that's what I'm forced to do now thanks to the complicated scheme BlackBerry used for their browser. I simply feel that BlackBerry shouldn't be forcing me to reply on a link on the website. They have the feature built into to the browser they just need to make it user friendly. It isn't a developer tool it's a user option too. Make it easy to use BlackBerry
    DocDRM likes this.
    10-21-14 01:16 AM
    I have a quick trick for doing this, I have Evolution browser installed and set up for forwarding Chrome desktop as user agent. I normally use the default browser but when I want to see the desktop version of the site I'm browsing I just use the open in Evolution browser option (this shows up in the default browser menu after installing EB). Fast and totally convenient.

Posted via my square wonder thingie
    10-21-14 02:31 AM
    It's very easy to use. I only use desktop mode for all websites. You set it once when you get the phone and never change it.
    Why would I look at a mobile website?
    I have a real mobile computer not a 20'th century phone with a tiny screen.
    When you are on your PC or laptop do you load the mobile version of websites?

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 02:32 AM
    I have a quick trick for doing this, I have Evolution browser installed and set up for forwarding Chrome desktop as user agent. I normally use the default browser but when I want to see the desktop version of the site I'm browsing I just use the open in Evolution browser option (this shows up in the default browser menu after installing EB). Fast and totally convenient.
    Thanks for that suggestion. I guess I just think that BlackBerry should give the user options instead of forcing them to use a work-around.
    10-21-14 11:17 AM
    It's very easy to use. I only use desktop mode for all websites. You set it once when you get the phone and never change it.
    Why would I look at a mobile website?
    Some websites are better in mobile mode. At least that's my opinion. And I think that BlackBerry should allow me to easily switch between modes if that's what I as the end user want to do. I don't like the all or nothing attitude that BlackBerry has when it comes to user options.

I was really hoping this was something BlackBerry would have corrected by 10.3, but I guess not.
    10-21-14 11:19 AM