Hmm. Ok Whatsapp for example . Are they going to cater to those 0.01%. Of the mobile market that cling to there bb10 devices, No.........no they are not. I wanted to continue using led paint but paint store will stock it for me just because I like it.

Not trying to start a fight I am merely saying it is sad to see people standing bedside of a terminal patient(BB10).

Posted via CB10
    Ok, so you have an opinion. Fair enough. It is not like " In Blackberrys own words as I recalled reading in this thread, they are only catering to government agencies with there bb10 devices".

Posted via CB10
    03-09-16 03:52 PM
    Mr Devito said it best.

You know, at one time there must've been dozens of companies makin' buggy whips. And I'll bet the last company around was the one that made the best goddamn buggy whip you ever saw. Now how would you have liked to have been a stockholder in that company? You invested in a business and this business is dead. Let's have the intelligence, let's have the decency to sign the death certificate, collect the insurance, and invest in something with a future.

"Ah, but we can't," goes the prayer. "We can't because we have responsibility, a responsibility to our employees, to our community. What will happen to them?" I got two words for that: Who cares? Care about them? Why? They didn't care about you. They sucked you dry. You have no responsibility to them. For the last ten years this company bled your money.

Posted via CB10
    So going full Android will make BlackBerry employees doing their job better. Good point. If I would be a shareholder and my employees would make an unsatisfactory job, I would definitely change the product not the employees.
    Also, you really think that Android and IOS are leading the market because they are the best? Nowadays the connections you have are more important than the quality of the product to survive. Just to be fair and not talking as a BlackBerry 10 user there were plenty of OS that didn't survive and were better than Android.
    Once again, you used some quotes in wrong way. They are true, but it doesn't go with your point.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-16 04:02 PM
    The point is people only want apps. Plain and simple. Blackberry does not have what people want and that is access to millions of apps. Even if less than 5% of those apps are useful. Google owns android and therefore the ART for access to its play store and BBOS10 will never get an up to date ART. Google will never allow it on a competing platform. The fact that android is plagued with flaws and needs as blackberry is proving, monthly security updates shows that the masses do not care one bit about privacy and security. Blackberry os 10 is the proverbial buggy whip. The could not keep up with the times and did not focus on the bottom line.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-16 04:20 PM
    I don't think the masses actually realise what privacy is anymore. The lines get blurred. Technology seems to have crept up on us all over time and offered us little rewards if we offset privacy until we've hit this point where we don't care anymore what our phones doing. Give us all your contacts and we'll let you change your phone wallpaper.

Mobile tech is the worst, if your car told someone where you went, who you were with, what you talked about, how long you were there and what you bought in which shop there would be outrage . Your phone does it and that's fine.

Posted via CB10
    Adam Kowalczyk1 likes this.
    03-09-16 04:48 PM
    I wonder if Chen is actually using a Samsung Android phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-16 06:56 PM
    Go get yourself a Passport SE if you can afford it. That's what I've done - moved from a Q10 to a Passport SE - simply awesome, it's like a Q10 on steroids :-)

Posted via CB10
    Yup, me too. The hand feel of a naked Passport SE is just incredible. I love my Q10, but I love my SE more.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-16 08:12 PM
    The point is people only want apps. Plain and simple. Blackberry does not have what people want and that is access to millions of apps. Even if less than 5% of those apps are useful. Google owns android and therefore the ART for access to its play store and BBOS10 will never get an up to date ART. Google will never allow it on a competing platform. The fact that android is plagued with flaws and needs as blackberry is proving, monthly security updates shows that the masses do not care one bit about privacy and security. Blackberry os 10 is the proverbial buggy whip. The could not keep up with the times and did not focus on the bottom line.

Posted via CB10
    Agree with that. Apps are important for the masses and that is one of the reasons BlackBerry 10 wasn't a big succes. In the same time people wanna have the latest release of Android and I don't think BlackBerry can provide that on time with their security added.
    Google will not allow BlackBerry to release an up to date ART because they have a collaboration contract since BlackBerry released an Android device. Without that Google couldn't stop BlackBerry from updating ART because Android is open source.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-16 11:10 PM
    I wonder if Chen is actually using a Samsung Android phone.

Posted via CB10
    He is not. When he showed BlackBerry Priv for the firs time he had the BlackBerry 10 swipe instinct. Maybe he is using a BlackBerry Priv now.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-16 11:13 PM
    A while back he said on twitter he was using a passport but that's probably changed now. That was before the android was announced.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-16 03:10 AM
    Without that Google couldn't stop BlackBerry from updating ART because Android is open source.

Posted via CB10
    If they didn't produce an Android device, then yes, BlackBerry would not be prevented from updating the Android Runtime. However, they would never be allowed to support Google Play Services/Store under any circumstance - which is becoming the bigger of the problems and the entire reason they shifted to Android in the first place.
    03-10-16 05:10 AM
    Is it impossible to just move android os to current BlackBerry10 devices like Classic/Passport/Z30

Save a lot of headbreak.

My PhantomPassport
    03-10-16 06:35 AM
    Is it impossible to just move android os to current BlackBerry10 devices like Classic/Passport/Z30

Save a lot of headbreak.

My PhantomPassport
    Not impossible but their is no money in it.
    03-10-16 06:43 AM
    So there is no money in re allocating useless stock inventory . It makes perfect sense to rebrand to make a sale.

Posted via CB10
    bodjor likes this.
    03-10-16 07:32 AM
    I think the difference being when they post their breakfast on Facebook it was being viewed by the intended recipients. Unless it was public of course but hopefully that would be intentional.

Coming back to BB10, you have to ask yourself this... you go into a mobile phone store looking for a device that suits your needs hopefully trying to get your contracts worth out of it.
    Firstly, chances are they won't have one in there.
    Secondly if there is it probably won't be a working model for you to try.
    Then when you ask the assistant they try to talk you out of one and they know little about it anyway.
    So if you've done your own research and don't need the assistant you will be aware that BlackBerry has "no plans" to make any more devices.
    You will know that most of the apps your friends are raving about aren't going to work.
    You learn that the ones that do work may not be working for much longer because the runtime it relies on will not be updated.
    Bb10 developers are moving away from the platform because there's no money in it and BlackBerry themselves are vague about the future.
    When you ask around to see what the next big features are coming up in future releases of the os you find there isn't going to be any.
    And to top that off some features on the device aren't working properly and BlackBerry aren't going to fix them.
    But on the bright side BlackBerry have a couple of security updates scheduled for someone soon...promise.

So get that hard earned wage you've earned getting up early working late and putting up with that **** of a boss and buy the phone while the people in the shop who tried to talk you out of it watch on in amazement.

Not sure how gray of a picture you want me to paint but it's rapidly turning into a lowrey painting. If you want a consumer device either get a priv or ditch BlackBerry altogether.

Posted via CB10
    So true.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-16 07:48 AM
    Has anyone tried using the android version of whatsapp on their BlackBerry device? Other than Hub integration, if this option works, what's the big deal? Anyone coming from Android to BlackBerry 10 won't know what they're missing because, currently, they're still switching apps all over the place to get to their communications.

For me, it was a pain for a while not having whatsapp integrated into BlackBerry Blend. However, BBM is available on all platforms now so all is well. Just had to ask family and friends to download it so I could communicate with them during the day. I'm on Blend all day long at work. I hardly pick up my Passport. It's great.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-16 09:27 AM
    If they didn't produce an Android device, then yes, BlackBerry would not be prevented from updating the Android Runtime. However, they would never be allowed to support Google Play Services/Store under any circumstance...
    It is not clear that this continues to be the case. Each company negotiates their own licensing terms with Google.

The big question is whether BlackBerry continues to sell handsets. BB10 as niche product with larger hardware sales being filled by Android using identical hardware (with perhaps cosmetic changes) is not improbable. With BB10 being 32-bit and Android on Blackberry being 64-bit "maintenance mode" could be a 2016 waiting pattern until it is determined that Android on Blackberry has a future. Continuing to develop BB10 as a niche product is not necessarily putting good money after bad, if it adds to the required volume of handsets sales.

If what you say of Google is true the only piece of BB10 I think should be considered for open source is the Dalvik VM so that the third parties that are developing Android runtimes for Windows, OS X and Linux may have an incentive to port their product to BB10 to sell as an app on BlackBerry world. This would also suggests that BlackBerry's runtime environment along with Amazon's stores should be available as options from BlackBerry World and be removed from 10.3.3/4.

Interesting thing is that the x86 versions have the option to install Google Play Services/Store.
    03-10-16 02:02 PM

Continuing to develop BB10 as a niche product is not necessarily putting good money after bad, if it adds to the required volume of handsets sales.
    But is also increases that minimum required number of sales, because it increases the fixed cost of that division.

If what you say of Google is true the only piece of BB10 I think should be considered for open source is the Dalvik VM so that the third parties that are developing Android runtimes for Windows, OS X and Linux may have an incentive to port their product to BB10 to sell as an app on BlackBerry world.
    I don't understand what you mean here. Dalvik is already open source. So is ART, btw (the Google definition of "ART", not the BB/CB definition of "ART")
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    03-10-16 02:29 PM
    I'm having a passport about two weeks and I think that there is yet some stuff to work on bb10 os

Posted via CB10
    03-10-16 02:38 PM
    But is also increases that minimum required number of sales, because it increases the fixed cost of that division.
    The CEO said he needed to sell 5 million handsets. He didn't say what OS they need to run. Suggesting that hardware costs and associated R&D (even partially outsourced) is the larger concern.

I don't understand what you mean here. Dalvik is already open source. So is ART, btw (the Google definition of "ART", not the BB/CB definition of "ART")
    It seems obvious that BlackBerry made changes to the VM in order for apps to reside on the home screen, be loaded from a non-Android launcher and to run on QNX instead of Linux. It would be helpful to third parties to know how this integration works and to improve it.
    Last edited by DonHB; 03-10-16 at 05:59 PM. Reason: .02
    03-10-16 02:44 PM
    I am a long term blackberry fan. My hopes are skyhigh, really wishing for the "next thing" with BB10. But the scenario is not really pretty today.
    03-10-16 02:51 PM
    I want to update my Z10. But I fear that if I buy a New BB10 device, it's life will be really short.
    Killjoyhere likes this.
    03-10-16 02:53 PM
    Has anyone tried using the android version of whatsapp on their BlackBerry device? Other than Hub integration, if this option works, what's the big deal? Anyone coming from Android to BlackBerry 10 won't know what they're missing because, currently, they're still switching apps all over the place to get to their communications.

For me, it was a pain for a while not having whatsapp integrated into BlackBerry Blend. However, BBM is available on all platforms now so all is well. Just had to ask family and friends to download it so I could communicate with them during the day. I'm on Blend all day long at work. I hardly pick up my Passport. It's great.

Posted via CB10
    Whatsapp isn't ending support until the end of the year as far as I know which is quite a way off. It might even still work just not supported for a fair bit after that. By then it will have even less relevance. I've no doubt the android version will still work. In the case of the PlayBook the android version albeit an older version worked for a couple more years.

On another note regarding Blend. Not sure if this is any use but with firefox browser there's an addon for whatsapp you can use and a desktop app. You just link your phone to it by scanning in the qr code and you can send and reply to messages straight from your desktop.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-16 02:56 PM
    I sure hope bb10 continues, it literally is the best system to me. And no I'm not just a blind fanboy. It all comes down to what you use your phone for, you wanna be a social butterfly, or are constantly posting pictures on Instagram go grab and iphone: that's what their phones are built and modeled for

 PASSPORT 
    03-10-16 03:18 PM
    I believe blackberry would be emulating some grand plans for the future, I'm not yet ready to believe rumors about uncertainty of the Best OS in the world. BlackBerry had annihilated competition, in the past and will be successful in crushing all the chocolate flavors and that idiotic i's.

Further to this , believers are a strong community and growing continuously, people will realize that freedom in apps comes with a cost. That will be turning point for blackberry, it takes time and I believe history will repeat itself, and when it does haters will have no place to hide chocolate covered faces.....

A die hard blackberry user....

Thanks for reading.

Posted via CB10
    I'm with you there man, history always repeats, apple had their run, so has android, BlackBerry had their run too. But there's tomorrow..thats where BlackBerry will be huge again, just look at what QNX is doing in auto realm??

 PASSPORT 
    03-10-16 03:22 PM
    Couldn't agree more, you literally took the words outta my mouth. I've been saying this same thing to many of my friends

 PASSPORT 
    03-10-16 03:24 PM
123 ... 2345